• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin |OT| Dean Ambrose, Muscleless Agent of SHIELD, Every Week :(

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
For those who are interested, I made an entirely indy-centric end of year voting form;

WrassleGAF's Best of the Indies 2012

Here's my votes;

. MVP of the Indies: El Generico
. Promotion of the Year: CHIKARA
. Match of the Year: Davey Richards vs Michael Elgin - ROH: Showdown in the Sun, Night 2
. iPPV of the Year: CHIKARA - Under the Hood
. DVD/VOD/MP4 of the Year: PWG - Threemendous III
. Rising Star of the Year: Adam Cole
. Rookie of the Year: 'Mr. Touchdown' Mark Angelosetti
. Best Technical Wrestler: Sami Callihan
. Best High Flyer: Samuray Del Sol
. Best Women's Wrestler: Jazz
. Most Improved Wrestler: Adam Cole
. Angle of the Year: The Ballad of The Mysterious & Handsome Stranger
. Most Improved Promotion: AAW
. Fighting Spirit Award: Lance Storm

Added to the OP - and here's where I get caught up. I'm assuming best of the indies basically means north american promotions? Or...fuck. I hate the term indies, because it means different things to different people. Gonna assume big japanese promotions and mexican ones aren't a part of this.

Added to the OP - and here's where I get caught up. I'm assuming best of the indies basically means north american promotions? Or...fuck. I hate the term indies, because it means different things to different people. Gonna assume big japanese promotions and mexican ones aren't a part of this.

Yeah, just US promotions...or North American promotions, but Canadian promotions don't seem too popular here anyways.

Lucha and puro are really in a whole different ball park to American indy wrestling, both stylistically and financially, so I didn't include either.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, just US promotions...or North American promotions, but Canadian promotions don't seem too popular here anyways.

Lucha and puro are really in a whole different ball park to American indy wrestling, both stylistically and financially, so I didn't include either.

It's tough - I consider them on a different level due to the amount of people watching it - but it's also very america-centric on my end. If it doesn't come on TV here (like weird-people luddite TV) I tend to classify it as the same area, which is a big disservice.

I'll be voting shortly. These, I need to think about - but also my biggest problem is I simply can't keep up with enough indies.

Aiii

So not worth it
Best Female Wrestler
None. No one stands out except AJ, and she hasn't shown to be a very good wrestler.

Hey now! She is perfectly fine in the ring. But none of the women look good in two minute suprise roll up matches.

Besides, nobody could have a good match with Vickie. She can't sell anything. Sometimes literally just doesn't better.

Entropia

No One Remembers
. MVP of the Indies: Austin Aries
. Promotion of the Year: TNA
. Match of the Year: Austin Aries vs. Bobby Roode
. iPPV of the Year: TNA - Bound for GLory
. DVD/VOD/MP4 of the Year: TNA - Bound for Glory
. Rising Star of the Year: Austin Aries
. Rookie of the Year: Zema Ion
. Best Technical Wrestler: Samoa Joe
. Best High Flyer: Jeff Hardy
. Best Women's Wrestler: Miss Tessmacher
. Most Improved Wrestler: James Storm
. Angle of the Year: Aces & Eights
. Most Improved Promotion: TNA
. Fighting Spirit Award: Sting

Cagey

Banned
. MVP of the Indies: Austin Aries
. Promotion of the Year: TNA
. Match of the Year: Austin Aries vs. Bobby Roode
. iPPV of the Year: TNA - Bound for GLory
. DVD/VOD/MP4 of the Year: TNA - Bound for Glory
. Rising Star of the Year: Austin Aries
. Rookie of the Year: Zema Ion
. Best Technical Wrestler: Samoa Joe
. Best High Flyer: Jeff Hardy
. Best Women's Wrestler: Miss Tessmacher
. Most Improved Wrestler: James Storm
. Angle of the Year: Kurt
. Most Improved Promotion: TNA
. Fighting Spirit Award: Sting

Fixed.

Mr. Sam

• Best WWE Star - Daniel Bryan
    I always knew Bryan was good but never suspected that he was this versatile. His transition from douchebag heel to loveable face, from main event to tag division, from matches with Punk to Sheamus to Kane, has been smooth as silk. He's been brilliant throughout.
  • Best Non-WWE International Star - Austin Aries
    Unfortunately I don't watch independent or foreign wrestling - but I do watch TNA. And Austin Aries is fucking good. The Greatest Man That Ever Lived? Perhaps.
  • Best Female Wrestler - Pffffffffft.
  • Best Tag Team - Frankie Kazarian and Christopher Daniels (World Tag Team Champions of the World)
    All of the chemistry of Hell No, with more great matches! And a bit more of variety to their schtick. Sorry, Kane lovers.
  • Best on the Mic - Bully Ray
    Punk, Aries, and a few others also merit consideration, but Bully is just as deserving and a less obvious choice.
  • Best Comeback - Daniel Bryan
    From Sheamus-jobber to bona fide fan favourite.
  • Best Gimmick - Daniel Bryan
  • Most Improved - Daniel Bryan
    I think he had all the tools before, but this year he's been able to demonstrate it.
  • Fall From Grace - Zack Ryder
    "Oh, you're getting over, are you? Good luck with that." The most blatant case of career sabotage I think I've ever seen.
  • Best Newcomer - Antonio Cesaro
    Growing on me week by week. Don't get me wrong - I do actually like Ryback; just in small doses.
  • Angle of the Year - The Rise of The Shield
    I've a horrible feeling that I'm forgetting something obvious.
  • WWE Match of the Year - CM Punk versus John Cena, Night of Champions
    These two are absolute magic together. I sit and stare at their matches like a besotted teenager.
  • Non-WWE International Match of the Year - Bobby Roode versus James Storm, Bound For Glory
    There's a few TNA matches I could get through (most involving Austin Aries, James Storm and/or Bobby Roode) but this one is pretty much the most fun you can have with your pants on.
  • Best Feud - Bobby Roode versus James Storm
    Should've main evented Bound For Glory, didn't, was still absolutely fantastic. The likes of Undertaker versus Triple H and The Rock versus John Cena were just all hype and bluster to me. I liked the end results, but the feuds themselves has me rolling my eyes.
  • Best PPV - Extreme Rules
    All of the fantastic matches of WrestleMania, none of the shitty musical performances.
  • Worst Angle of the Year - Embrace The Hate
  • Worst On-Screen Performer of the Year - Jeff Hardy
  • Most Underutilized Performer - Zack Ryder

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Best WWE Star - Daniel Bryan
What a year for this guy. Everything he's touched has turned to gold. From his three-way feud with Big Show and Mark Henry earlier this year, to YES YES YES, to 18 Seconds, to The Night After 18 Seconds, to his 2/3 falls match with Sheamus, to his feud with CM Punk and Kane and the rise of CrayJ, his amazing matches with CM Punk, to Anger Management, Team Hell No and the revival of the tag team division, all the way to TLC - without a doubt Daniel Bryan is the best thing to happen to WWE this year. It's not even fucking close.

Best Non-WWE International Star - Baz McMahon
I admit, to my shame, that I don't really watch wrestling other than WWE, so I'm going to use this slot for a comedy pick. It's the Video Game Championship Wrestling guy.

Best Female Wrestler - Eve
Please note that this would be AJ if I could remember a single match that she had this year. As is, Eve takes it for being a pretty solid heel.

Best Tag Team - Team Hell No
I thought about giving it to Rhodes Scholars, but nobody would give a crap about WWE's tag division if not for these guys. PTP were also good, and Mysterio/Sin Cara is good as well.

Best on the Mic - CM Punk
Not as good as in 2011, of course, but still better than everybody else.

Best Comeback - Jeritroll Jericho
Yeah, I know, Jerry Lawler had a heart attack, but here's the thing.
I'm super glad he's alright.
I am not glad he's back on commentary. Because he's terrible.

Best Gimmick - Damien Sandow
You're welcome.

I'll do the rest later.

Mr. Sam

2h6mw.jpg

Y'all better recognise.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
  • Best Tag Team - Frankie Kazarian and Christopher Daniels (World Tag Team Champions of the World)
    All of the chemistry of Hell No, with more great matches! And a bit more of variety to their schtick. Sorry, Kane lovers.

• These two consistently cracked me up whenever I would catch TNA. Great characters.

Jamie OD

Seeing all of the Zack Ryder gifs makes me remember the one big lesson WWE taught us this year: DON'T GET YOURSELF OVER WITHOUT OUR PERMISSION!

Daniels & Kaz have been a great team since the beginning, but they've trolled it up so good the last 2 months. I honestly feel that they've been >>> Team Hell No for a while now.

Ithil

hG7sL.jpg

The best tag team is an obvious toss-up between Hell No and Christopher Daniels and Kazarian. There's no other choices I can think of. I like teams like the PTP, the Rhodes Scholars, but Hell No and Daniels/Kazarian were out of this world, they were actually the best part of their respective companies.

Ithil

Daniels is what you call a waste of talent. TNA fucking sucks.

I always think this when I watch TNA. Austin Aries is their equivalent of Daniel Bryan, their best performer who can simply do it all, but Daniels seems so under-appreciated. His scarves alone crack me up.
H9QJQ.gif

I'd rather see him as their champ than Jeff bloody Hardy, but I can't see him ever being given a World title run there.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I always think this when I watch TNA. Austin Aries is their equivalent of Daniel Bryan, their best performer who can simply do it all, but Daniels seems so under-appreciated. His scarves alone crack me up.

I'd rather see him as their champ than Jeff bloody Hardy, but I can't see him ever being given a World title run there.

Both AA and Daniels are wonderful and would no doubt be ruined with a WWE move - best chance is to let them do what they can in TNA, big fish in a small pond.

Guzim

Some of my nominees for best GIF:

http://i.minus.com/id8Mw9e6E6nGU.gif
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibmBdi7xqfhC6i.gif
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibh5Hc7rwJ1LNn.gif
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iSasaqgtrf5jc.gif
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibhFBkIqoJrdBl.gif
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibfVURLy3g7zJf.gif
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iQHByHzN8BpAt.gif
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iWym1UxkdQEQY.gif
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ib11xQ81iwTQC9.gif
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iiC5w3Q0cuRBb.gif

Sorry Chrome.

There's an awful lot of Kane and Bryan in there.[/QUOTE]

How could you forget the gif that sums up John Cena?

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/F2y1X.gif

Ithil

Both AA and Daniels are wonderful and would no doubt be ruined with a WWE move - best chance is to let them do what they can in TNA, big fish in a small pond.

You'd think that, but then you see how well Daniel Bryan is doing despite the WWE's (or part of the WWE anyway) best efforts. It's no longer a given that every indie darling will be a Kaval. The Shield has two indie darlings and they're getting a legit push so far.

Guess we'll never know what Austin Aries or Samoa Joe could have been in the WWE, but I'd love to see the likes of Aries as a real global superstar. TNA stars are a long way from pop culture.

Daniels is probably too old for the WWE, now.

Mr. Sam

It's no longer a given that every indie darling will be a Kaval.

I don't think it was a given that Kaval would be a Kaval - he just had no bloody patience. Bryan and Punk weren't handed monster pushes as soon as they walked through the door.

Edit: Just had to untick "Show Images" in my User CP. Chrome was dying.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Also those of you who may have missed out last night, we have a few firsts for GWF last night:

First Time Travel
First TV Title Match
First Match With Bootaaay Wrestling
First Appearance of Jaekwon15
First Appearance of Strobogo

and much more. Tune in to the replay at:

http://twitch.tv/Sunnybuns

somedevil

Guess who might really be coming back to the WWE:

F4Wonline.com reports that Shelton Benjamin gave his notice to Ring of Honor because WWE is interested in him. Apparently WWE and Benjamin will be negotiating now. Word is that Benjamin isn't necessarily leaving ROH but he was released from his contract and there is a good chance he will be leaving for good for WWE.

Ithil

Time for some favourite wrestling gifs from the last year (I'm pretty sure they're al 2012 anyway):

iFaRi9qhgeo5v.gif

iYTTwxC7uho03.gif

i5RsKAkBZyqCX.gif

i38dJbkjvkLNO.gif

iWoFBNRlt04cf.gif

iWKFwn33LBiY3.gif

ibnee0Rrx0r8BK.gif

i5N9B2UKkZg9P.gif

iB53yKmDbpFjz.gif

And bonus Sandow:
ibtxXEmDaczC24.gif

Die Chrome, Die

Found these from earlier in the year;

iQtD59Fq4antL.jpg

iZKrRM7ZwF4Xh.png

iroOHQHMyPIGV.png

God damn it Booty. Stop sneaking in your death match shit!

Ah, come on - that one was pretty tame by comparison.

Also those of you who may have missed out last night, we have a few firsts for GWF last night:

First Time Travel
First TV Title Match
First Match With Bootaaay Wrestling
First Appearance of Jaekwon15
First Appearance of Strobogo

and much more. Tune in to the replay at:

http://twitch.tv/Sunnybuns

Nice, thanks for the reminder - will watch later this evening :)

Honestly, I'm starting to warm up to Ryback. I always pictured him (thanks to all the stories) as some lumbering illiterate idiot. While he may still be dumb, his interviews out of the ring have shown me that he's not that stupid, and he's somewhat articulate, and they've done a good job of building him up in the past few weeks.

I knew you'd come around! Give me a hug!

Jamie OD

Unless you're Daniel Bryan, in which case you simply cannot be stopped no matter how hard we try.

The weird thing about that is since it happened under their watch, WWE sees it as their creation and thus think that they were able to get Daniel over. Ryder meanwhile got over on the internet by himself and since WWE had no power over it, they didn't understand why Ryder suddenly became super popular and saw it as a nuisance that needed to be swept aside.

I cannot remember a more deliberate attempt at trying to kill someone's popularity anywhere.

Jitters

To me, This year belonged to :
CM Punk
Austin Aries
Bobby Roode
Daniel Bryan
AJ Lee
Bully Ray
Bad Influence
Sheamus
Dolph Ziggler

If I had to pick just one, it would be Punk. Sheamus and Ziggler both work their asses off and consistently have great matches. Bully Ray is one of the most entertaining guys around right now. Shouting during his matches and crazy selling. Bad Influence had great matches with Angle and Styles ,and they were also given a terrible storyline line yet managed to make it entertaining with their over the top goofiness. AJ Lee was involved in some of the craziest stuff we've seen in a while and her moments will probably stand out the most. Daniel Bryan managed to get over despite all odds and ended up getting a really entertaining character. Austin Aries had an amazing ride to the top with all the momentum in the world. Seeing him win the belt was a highlight of the year to me. Roode did a great job as top heel of the company for quite a while. Still though, Punk is the best performer in all of pro-wrestling. Every second the guy is on is just golden.

Match of the Year for me is either:
Smackdown Elimination Chamber - Elimination Chamber
Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena - Extreme Rules
HHH vs. Undertaker - Wrestlemania 28
The Shield vs. Ryback, Daniel Bryan, and Kane - TLC
Austin Aries vs. Bobby Roode - Destination X
AJ Styles and Kurt Angle vs. Bad Influence - Slammiversary

If I had to pick one, it would be Lesnar/Cena. I loved the style and atmosphere of the match. Very good.

I think this was a very, very underrated year for WWE.

Toki767

The weird thing about that is since it happened under their watch, WWE sees it as their creation and thus think that they were able to get Daniel over. Ryder meanwhile got over on the internet by himself and since WWE had no power over it, they didn't understand why Ryder suddenly became super popular and saw it as a nuisance that needed to be swept aside.

I cannot remember a more deliberate attempt at trying to kill someone's popularity anywhere.

Well Vince did have Dusty Rhodes dress in polka dots to try to kill his popularity.

Top Bottom