• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin |OT| Dean Ambrose, Muscleless Agent of SHIELD, Every Week :(

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
We need a Black Wrestling History Month.

Nobody ever posts about the AWESOME Mr. Hughes.

2ZfI3.jpg

Entropia

No One Remembers
who's that big black guy?

Ryblack

Why is WWE bringing in people like Big E. Langston, The Shield, Shelton Benjamin(supposedly) etc. when they have huge roster depth already. I mean, what about people like Tyson Kidd, Justin Gabriel, Evan Bourne(if he ever comes back), etc.

The sad part is, while they have matches and shit there's virtually no storylines going on for these guys.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Working on getting the WrassleGAF End of the Year polls up, going with a few here, but all feedback is appreciated, pretty much ripping off the LAW's end of year awards with some tweaks:

Best WWE Star
Best Non-WWE International Star (reason these two are separate is so that smaller feds deserve a shot as well, so much fragmentation though)
Best Female Wrestler
Best Tag Team
Best on the Mic
Best Comeback
Best Gimmick
Most Improved
Fall From Grace
Angle of the Year
WWE Match of the Year
Non-WWE International Match of the Year
Best Feud
Best PPV
Worst Angle of the Year
Worst On-Screen Performer of the Year
Most Underutilized Performer
Worst Moment That Made You Feel Wahjah
The Net Wrecker "______ in 2012??" Award (guess who's winning this one)

Favorite Kane Photo of the Year

Hi guys,

Just catching up on this board now. RAW was the best show of the year for me. I enjoyed it, and watched it from start to finish. I was going to stop watching, as the last few months have really got me down on the product.

Last night was fun again, and I was surprised at a lot of shit to. Ric Flair was awesome.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Also~

Feel free to discuss your picks for each of the categories in here, no need to keep them ALL secret! Post away! Hell, I think I'll post MINE.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Hi guys,

Just catching up on this board now. RAW was the best show of the year for me. I enjoyed it, and watched it from start to finish. I was going to stop watching, as the last few months have really got me down on the product.

Last night was fun again, and I was surprised at a lot of shit to. Ric Flair was awesome.

Heavy alt account.

Hi guys,

Good to hear, LS. It was a really fun Raw.

Laserfrog

I voted, I'd discuss more but I forgot it all already. I don't feel myself today, infinite AJ ladder climbing and infinite Mario stair running has really done a number on me.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Hi guys,

You forgot to login to your Heavy account.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Honestly, I'm starting to warm up to Ryback. I always pictured him (thanks to all the stories) as some lumbering illiterate idiot. While he may still be dumb, his interviews out of the ring have shown me that he's not that stupid, and he's somewhat articulate, and they've done a good job of building him up in the past few weeks.

Toki767

Honestly, I'm starting to warm up to Ryback. I always pictured him (thanks to all the stories) as some lumbering illiterate idiot. While he may still be dumb, his interviews out of the ring have shown me that he's not that stupid, and he's somewhat articulate, and they've done a good job of building him up in the past few weeks.

He was perfectly fine on the mic when he was Skip Sheffield on NXT. He even had some charisma. Problem is they're writing his promos for him now.

WrestleGAF End of the year Awards

Best WWE Superstar: C.M. Punk. At various points, he was the only reason I watched this year

Best Non-WWE Wrestler: Austin Aries

Best Female Wrestler: Do I have to? Eve I guess. She sucks in the ring, but at least she is insanely hot

Best Tag Team: Team Hell No

Best on the Mic: C.M. Punk

Comeback of the Year: Paul Heyman

Best Gimmick: The Shield

Most Improved: Titus O'Neil. Last year, I thought he was garbage. Now, I think he might have a decent future

Fall from Grace: Chris Jericho, his return went over like a wet fart in church

Best Angle of the Year: Lesnar's return

Worst Angle of the Year: Everything A.J. related. (ie, her time as GM, going from guy to guy, being a main focus of the show)

Best PPV: Extreme Rules

Worst on Screen Performer: The Miz, with an honorable mention to Ryback

Most Underutilized Performer: Brock Lesnar. They wasted too many dates early and bogged him down with Cena (who he shouldn't have lost to) and HHH. He should have been built as a monster and put over Ryback at Mania, but instead will give HHH his win back for no reason.

Moment that made you feel ashamed to be a wrestling fan: There are numerous, but I'll go with the most recent one: Miz TV "The pink and the stink"

Wrestling GIF of the year: Ambrose "Nope"

Hope for 2012: Antonio Cesaro, honorable mention to The Shield

Time to Retire in 2013: The Great Khali

Non-WWE match of the year: Elgin vs. Richards (ROH Showdown in the Sun-Day 2)

WWE Match of the Year: Lesnar vs. Cena (Extreme Rules)

Ithil

He gets points for doing this because he loves wrestling, and he wants to be as big a star as he can. The likes of Goldberg were into it as a high paying job, Ryback is clearly a fan following his dream.

Limitations aside, that's a good thing, both for him and for business (as in he won't jump ship like Lesnar).

I even liked Ryback in his weekly squashes, they were fun and varied squashes. It was his overpush to the main event that got me bored of him. He's not a very versatile character so far, and it limits his appeal. That's not to say he can't grow. See, they've helped him by ending the streak early, before it became a defining attribute, whereas it went on for so long with Goldberg that it was a massive blow when ended.

Entropia

No One Remembers
He gets points for doing this because he loves wrestling, and he wants to be as big a star as he can. The likes of Goldberg were into it as a high paying job, Ryback is clearly a fan following his dream.

Limitations aside, that's a good thing, both for him and for business (as in he won't jump ship like Lesnar).

I even liked Ryback in his weekly squashes, they were fun and varied squashes. It was his overpush to the main event that got me bored of him. He's not a very versatile character so far, and it limits his appeal.

Yeah the problem is he went from squashing jobbers to getting in Punk's face. There really wasn't a transition. I'd have been ok with him going over Kofi/Miz (whoever the IC champ was) first before going onto Punk.

Though it could be argued that if he hadn't have made that sudden jump and transitioned that he wouldn't have had that huge momentum he's had in the main event scene.

Also~

Feel free to discuss your picks for each of the categories in here, no need to keep them ALL secret! Post away! Hell, I think I'll post MINE.

I'll share the ones I'm pretty certain few, or none, are going to vote for;

. Best Tag Team - Strong Big Japan (Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Okabayashi) - be it in Big Japan or All Japan, Sekimoto & Okabayashi have consistently been putting on some of the best tag matches in 2012 and have pretty much dominated the division. Get Wild have definitely had a stronger second half of 2012, but I still prefer Strong Big Japan.

. Best PPV - New Japan - King of Pro-Wrestling - two solid 4 star matches in Low Ki vs Kota Ibushi and Kazuchika Okada vs Karl Anderson, plus my vote for 5 star match of the year; Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Minoru Suzuki, speaking of which...

. Non-WWE Match of the Year - Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Minoru Suzuki - I love the story they told leading up to and during the match. Tanahashi, the poster boy of New Japan, versus Suzuki, the tough veteran shootfighter who is out to prove that Tanahashi is weak, that he isn't a fighter and doesn't have what it takes. The match itself was pure storytelling, with little in the way of big bumps and dangerous spots, and the only pinfall in the near-30 minute contest was the one that won the match. Best part was how well Tanahashi worked the figure four, while Suzuki screamed for him to "break my fucking leg!!!" and the way the match was built around Tanahashi hitting the high fly flow frog splash. AMAZING.

*edit, also, I voted Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan 2/3 Falls at Extreme Rules as my favourite WWE match. A lot of people have probably forgot how good this match really is, well worth going back to watch again sometime.

Aiii

So not worth it
*edit, also, I voted Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan 2/3 Falls at Extreme Rules as my favourite WWE match. A lot of people have probably forgot how good this match really is, well worth going back to watch again sometime.

Forgot? That was my vote as well.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Best WWE Superstar

Daniel Bryan

I think I gotta hand it to D. Brine. He's put on consistently entertaining matches, and even though Hell No isn't my cup o' tea, I really enjoy watching him work, hell, all year.

Best Non-WWE Wrestler

Kazuchika Okada

This man shines like a star - and he IS a star. He acts like it, dresses like it, and wrestles like it. Watch any of his matches, and you'll see. You'll see!

Best Female Wrestler

Jessicka Havok impresses me every time I see her.

Best Tag Team

Hard choice this year because as far as WWE is concerned, there are none. But, Ten-Koji has had a hell of a year and are tons of fun to watch if you ask me.

Best on the Mic

Paul Heyman has a knack for saying exactly what he needs to, exactly when he needs to. Better than Punk.

Comeback of the Year

Aw hell, I guess we're gonna have to go with Brock Lesnar who despite being booked really weird, still has that amazing drawing power. Absolutely huge. How many people can come off of getting hit in the chest with a tree (Overeem's kick) and still be a credible threat? Cena deserves some handshakes for how well he played his part in the feud.

Worst On-Screen Performer

We gotta stop having Hornswoggle appearing on the show.

Most Underutilized Performer

Tyson Kidd is absolutely being used wrong. Strong runner up is another Hart, Natalya. You people are sitting on a gold mine with Kidd, when it comes to wrestling!

WWE Match of the Year

John Cena vs Brock Lesnar, Extreme Rules - say what you want about the finish, this was a match that nobody expected to be as good as it was.

Non-WWE Match of the Year

Kazuchika Okada vs Tetsuya Naito - NJPW 40th Anniv - Despite me not really enjoying Naito really all that much, Okada brought it in this match and it put a smile on my face. Great wrestling.

Best Gimmick

I guess we got Damien Sandow but it's been a pretty empty time for gimmicks.

Most Improved

Titus O'Neill - he was damned with the old "Make it a win" speech but has really come into his own with the PTP. Good stuff.

Fall From Grace

Don't hate, it's CM Punk - I think he's got nowhere to go but down, but the fact that he couldn't even get WWE's superstar of the year award despite having the belt for the entirety of it speaks volumes about how compelling a character he's been this year. Also, it shows how useless the belt is. YEP.

Best Angle of the Year

To go with the best match, Cena vs Lesnar - when Lesnar came out right after Mania, on Raw, the crowd was white hot and they booked Lesnar right during that whole angle. They used him sparingly, the promos were right on (MMA-style for Brock) and really got a lot of people into it.

Worst Angle of the Year

Anything involving AJ - especially her current romance storylines. Just the worst. The worst. It pains me because she loves this business, but my god they write her into some serious trash.

Best PPV

NJPW's King of Pro Wrestling - Tanahashi vs Suzuki is one of the finest matches I've seen all year, but the undercard was stacked as well. Great PPV, worth tracking down.

Moment That Made You Feel Ashamed to be a Wrestling Fan

Any time AJ kisses someone - god it's so bad. LET ME OUT.

Wrestling GIF of the Year

Kaitlyn/Layla Bump - no more needs to be said.

Hope for 2013

I have high hopes for Roman Reigns - I think he has a great chance to really come into his own and lead the charge this year, despite Dean Ambrose being all up on peoples' NUTS.

Time to Retire in 2013

Let it go, Undertaker - don't run until the wheels fall off.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Best WWE Star-Daniel Bryan

Best Non-WWE International Star- The Generic

Best Female Wrestler- Eve (AJ never wrestled this year)

Best Tag Team-Team Hell No

Best on the Mic- Daniel Bryan

Best Comeback- Kane (come on, people. Think about it)

Best Gimmick- Damien Sandow

Most Improved-Sheamus

Fall From Grace- Jericho

Angle of the Year- AJ/Kane/Bryan/Punk Love angle

WWE Match of the Year- 6 Man from TLC

Best Feud- Kane v Bryan vs Punk

Best PPV-TLC

Worst Angle of the Year- HHH/Lesnar

Worst On-Screen Performer of the Year- Khali

Most Underutilized Performer-Drew McEntyre

Worst Moment That Made You Feel Wahjah-Lawler heart attack

Net Wrecker "_____ in 2012" Award- Kane

Favorite Kane photo of the year:
12kane.jpg

Ziggler is the total package. How old is he?

I hope he is young enough that he could have a good 7 year run on top. He is so fukn good.

I hope they team Flair and Ziggles up.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Keep in mind you also must submit your votes to the voting spot to have em count! The voting link will be in the OP at the very tippy top in case you forget where it is.

Best WWE Star: Neck and Neck, but I'm going to give it to CM Punk for revitalizing himself by turing heel and continuing to stay a highlight of the show

Best Non-WWE International Star: Christopher Daniels.

Best Female Wrestler: I'll have to give it to Eve. She's been putting work.
Best Tag Team: This goes Right to Team Hell No. Great segments and they put on great matches.
Best on the Mic: Paul Heyman (thats kind of cheating so) CM Punk
Best Comeback: Ryback (Yep Yep What It Do)
Best Gimmick: Damian Sandow Because YOU'RE WELCOME
Most Improved: I'm going to give it to Sin Cara over the PTP as he's not botching nearly as bad as he was last year
Fall From Grace: Tensai. What happened man...
Angle of the Year: SHIELD comes to town
WWE Match of the Year: Team Hell No/Ryback vs. The Shield (6-Man TLC Match. TLC 2012)
Non-WWE International Match of the Year: Austin Aries vs. Bobby Roode
Best Feud: CM Punk wants respect part 2 (Featuring Brad Maddox, The Shield, John Cena, Ryback)
Best PPV
Worst Angle of the Year: Claire Lynch
Worst On-Screen Performer of the Year: Aksana
Most Underutilized Performer: Antonio Cesaro
Worst Moment That Made You Feel Wahjah: Whenever Vince is on TV

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Most Improved: I'm going to give it to Sin Cara over the PTP as he's not botching nearly as bad as he was last year
Fall From Grace: Tensai. What happened man...

Two really good picks. Sin Cara's getting better, and...

Well, last night really defines what happened to Tensai. Sigh...the money isn't worth it Bernard!

Ithil

Two really good picks. Sin Cara's getting better, and...

Well, last night really defines what happened to Tensai. Sigh...the money isn't worth it Bernard!

For a second I thought they were going to have Tensai change to a new character from the knock on the head, but no, it was just a bad comedy segment.

Ultratech

Seems that Shelton Benjamin was granted release from ROH and is apparently negotiating with WWE.

Interesting news there.

edit: beaten poorly :(

Still, should be good news. Though they are bringing up an awful lot of guys...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
For a second I thought they were going to have Tensai change to a new character from the knock on the head, but no, it was just a bad comedy segment.

Depressing, isn't it? :( And right after getting squashed by goddamn Kofi.

Can't begrudge him wanting the relative security of a WWE contract. Dude's 40 and just had a baby this year, so I guess that factored into it.

Still, it's amazing how badly WWE have used him. The best thing he did all year was tossing Ziggler over the announcers table, giving Ziggles another chance for an epic bump as he crashed into Michael Cole's chair.

Ultratech said:
Seems that Shelton Benjamin was granted release from ROH and is apparently negotiating with WWE.

Good. Shelton has the athleticism and the amateur wrestling background that you think would have made him a perfect fit for ROH, but for whatever reason he hasn't really abandoned that WWE style of wrestling, and always seemed unwilling to take any big bumps, or hit any big spots, etc. Him and Charlie are just dull, but Charlie actually works better as an old-school heel, has a better idea of how to wrestle on the indies and isn't entirely fucking awful on the mic.

Ithil

Interesting news there.

edit: beaten poorly :(

Still, should be good news. Though they are bringing up an awful lot of guys...

Hoping for a Rumble comeback. They need a new mid card, with so many guys moving up to the main event, or moving to the tag team division.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Can't begrudge him wanting the relative security of a WWE contract. Dude's 40 and just had a baby this year, so I guess that factored into it.

Still, it's amazing how badly WWE have used him. The best thing he did all year was tossing Ziggler over the announcers table, giving Ziggles another chance for an epic bump as he crashed into Michael Cole's chair.

The one thing he did that could have really got his character rolling was "Racist Tensai" yelling at Sakamoto in the car, and WWE covered that up as much as they could. Man, that was so good. Not that I'm cheering for casual racism, but he's supposed to be a heel.

Cagey

Banned
So here's a topic for discussion, following the debut of Yet Another Big Man who Cena will defeat in a few weeks time.

John Cena.

No, seriously. What can creative possibly do with John Cena? The WWE is a collection of wrestlers + John Cena; he's separate from the pack. He's almost an independent show at this point.

What can be done? Consider:
- Cena possessing a belt kills off the suspense around chasing the belt
- Cena doesn't need to hunt after a championship to retain relevance and Tops in the Company popularity (dat merch)
- Cena feuding with anyone beneath the top of the card achieves nothing for the parties involved (mid-carder looks awful, Cena gains nothing, time is wasted)

Cena, at this point, seems so far removed from the rest of the WWE roster that he's limited to gimmick matches or taking on legendary figures (i.e. The Rock). Otherwise, it's generally Cena jumping from filler feud to filler feud with no progress made for anyone. If any of the few top tier guys that the crowds believe are within Cena's league square off with Cena, it either forces them into a heel turn (Sheamus, Orton) or means fighting for a championship (Punk) and risking Cena being a division killer again.

Aside from the actual heel turn occurring, can this even be salvaged?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

He could get very good use from putting over younger talent - which hasn't REALLY been happening excluding the PPV last weekend, but I think that's a spot where you can get a lot of mileage out of him. Turn his involvement back more, get him in a tag team that's half-comedy so he has his audience there. But they can't do this without another face ready to take the main event to new levels.

Ithil

So here's a topic for discussion, following the debut of Yet Another Big Man who Cena will defeat in a few weeks time.

John Cena.

No, seriously. What can creative possibly do with John Cena? The WWE is a collection of wrestlers + John Cena; he's separate from the pack. He's almost an independent show at this point.

What can be done? Consider:
- Cena possessing a belt kills off the suspense around chasing the belt
- Cena doesn't need to hunt after a championship to retain relevance and Tops in the Company popularity (dat merch)
- Cena feuding with anyone beneath the top of the card achieves nothing for the parties involved (mid-carder looks awful, Cena gains nothing, time is wasted)

Cena, at this point, seems so far removed from the rest of the WWE roster that he's limited to gimmick matches or taking on legendary figures (i.e. The Rock). Otherwise, it's generally Cena jumping from filler feud to filler feud with no progress made for anyone. If any of the few top tier guys that the crowds believe are within Cena's league square off with Cena, it either forces them into a heel turn (Sheamus, Orton) or means fighting for a championship (Punk) and risking Cena being a division killer again.

Drop him to the upper mid card, let him feud with mid carders who need the rub, and PUT THEM OVER. That's the sticking point.

Ziggler won, and won strongly, but he still needed an AJ betrayal to win. The last guy to just beat Cena, straight up, no bullshit, was the Rock. Before that? I can't even remember.

That's what stops anyone gaining anything from a story with him, no one is allowed look stronger than him. Super faces aren't fun, underdog heels should not be a thing unless it's a face monster, and Cena is not one.

But Cena as the face of the company is done. Most of your audience hates him, the ones that don't are rarely loyal fans in the first place, he is in bad shape and only going to get worse, he's not young anymore, and you've got a multitude of guys that can be big stars. 2012 proved that he has truly run his course, he was pushed harder than ever, and it was to the detriment of the company. 2013 needs to be the "cooling down" of Cena, where he descents from that lofty pedestal they put him on.

He isn't a megastar like Hogan, or Austin. Oh, he's the face of he company, he's the biggest superstar there is now, but there was no wave of popularity that took him and the business to the top, no Golden Age or Attitude Era equivalent. He's a star because they wouldn't stop pushing him as one, there's no megastardom there. In that regard he's an "artificial" top star.

There should only be a sole "face of the company" when that person's popularity is so great that it demands it. Otherwise, there should be a multitude of top stars that you use, not just one.

Aiii

So not worth it
Wouldn't at all be surprised if Cena had one last title run after WM and moved on to a trainers position or something.

Sure...WWE just have to have the courage to place Cena elsewhere on the card. For instance, have him say "you know what, I've never held the Intercontinental Title before", only to discover that competition is stronger than he anticipated as he gets embroiled in a mid-card feud with Wade Barrett. Or, perhaps a young up and coming wrestler like Tyson Kidd needs a tag partner and turns to John Cena, who agrees, but for one match only. However, after an upset victory over an established team and some surprisingly good tag team chemistry between the two, Cena & Kidd decide to work their way up the division and challenge for the tag titles. Both these ideas would have to result in Cena actually having to put over young talent for once.

WWE just need to realise that Cena's a big enough draw on his own and he does not need to constantly be the focus of the show. He just needs to be there, somewhere. Preferably not at the end of every damn show.

Top Bottom