• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| PUT A Z-PAK ON THE THREAD, PAL. YOU'RE WORKING TONIGHT

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
kane-growth.jpg

Call Dr.Amann.

Recall

As Amazon were having a sale and we don't have The Network in the UK along with the fact I hate myself I bought these 3:

imagecgxzb.jpg

Little gift to myself for a very small sum.

Jamie OD

First day off in weeks so I'm going to watch Kenny Omega's Highspots shoot followed by as much PWG BOLA as I can view in a day. Also NXT and Lucha Underground will fit in the schedule somewhere.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It is funny that the thing that really ended CM Punk's run with the WWE is D-Bry taking his spot.

They needed a fan favorite to turn the shitty Wrestlemania main event into something that would draw and they turned to the indie darling that everyone popped for...not CM Punk.

It is funny that the thing that really ended CM Punk's run with the WWE is D-Bry taking his spot.

They needed a fan favorite to turn the shitty Wrestlemania main event into something that would draw and they turned to the indie darling that everyone popped for...not CM Punk.

Punk stole Bryan's nickname, Bryan took Punk's spot. It's a fair trade.

Well, there is probably a reason why people immediately compared LU to WSX.

The superficial stuff (recording in what look like warehouses, the live band, the crowd) is similar, but the substantive stuff (how storylines are weighed across the card, the in-ring work, the overall culture infused into the shows) isn't.

Gonzalez

Banned

I don't want to start a "My favorite wrestler, is better than your favorite wrestler" debate, but... Daniel Bryan put in so much hard into getting that Mania main event spot that he most likely listened to Vince's shitty doctors advice while on his road to Mania, and look at him. He is now one bad move away from being a quadriplegic.

Punk made the right call by getting out of there. Bryan should have read the signs before it was too late.

Laserfrog

Hello December. December is the final month. Is it the most important month? It could be. The only problem is we won't know until January.

So can anyone give me a low down on what happened over the past four months and why everyone is saying that the WWE is on fire?

Hasney

So can anyone give me a low down on what happened over the past four months and why everyone is saying that the WWE is on fire?

On fire? Must have been reading some joke posts. Only things of note was Cena being destroyed by Brock, Ziggler putting on a great performance at Survivor Series with Sting showing up and now Kofi, Big E and Xavier Woods are now preachers. That's seriously about it in approx 92 hours of television over the last 4 months.

Oh and Damien Sandow is outstanding.

Fox318

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HznErMk97B4

How crazy is that speech right now. I remember when that aired, but it feels like it's from an alternate dimension considering what we've been dealing with the last 5+ years.
All of the adult sponsors jumped ship to mma.

Plus wwe have good ad partners.

They have kmart and Sears cares so little they don't even advertise in their stores.

The flooded the ppv buisness then they devalued it with the network.

On fire? Must have been reading some joke posts. Only things of note was Cena being destroyed by Brock, Ziggler putting on a great performance at Survivor Series with Sting showing up and now Kofi, Big E and Xavier Woods are now preachers. That's seriously about it in approx 92 hours of television over the last 4 months.

Oh and Damien Sandow is outstanding.

I meant on fire financially and how bad the product was.

PPV was on the decline so they tried something new. The gamble hasn't paid off yet, but it still might. I'm more optimistic about their situation than the UFC. Fight pass is an awful deal compared to the network and while they've definitely had some great events lately, they haven't been able to draw or put on events that have matchups you want to see.

The WWE sure have done a trouble job building new stars on Raw and Smackdown but they've at least still got a stack of guys with real potential in NXT who could be brought up and built up in short time if Cena has to retire or whatever.

UFC seems less special now as they have events, special events and PPVs every weekend. Much preferred it when there was less UFC to see.

Xater

UFC seems less special now as they have events, special events and PPVs every weekend. Much preferred it when there was less UFC to see.

Yup, I was into UFC when one of their PPVs was still a big deal. Now there is so much stuff that nothing feels like an event you have to catch.

Yup, I was into UFC when one of their PPVs was still a big deal. Now there is so much stuff that nothing feels like an event you have to catch.

Yup, if you missed a PPV you'd miss something important or at least that's how it felt. PPVs and Ultimate Fighter was the perfect balance for me.

gurudyne

I meant on fire financially and how bad the product was.

Ratings are okay week to week. Sting brought in a million more viewers than usual last week, all of whom immediately left after it was clear he wasn't showing up. Network numbers got their ass kicked though; international debut brought in as many people as the Network lost domestically that month. Current product isn't sustaining interest among the paying crowd.

Could be wrong, but I think it's the quality of the show as the older audience sees it that's doing it. For my circle of wrestling watching friends, WWE's programming became too pointless and too obvious about its pointlessness. Not enough interesting things happened to warrant losing three hours of your Monday night. (Considering how few interesting things happened between WM and SummerSlam, it's amazing that things got worse.) They recycled too many matches. Not just matchups; actual matches--for August-September, they gave us the same midcard matches every week, sometimes showing the same matches scheduled in upcoming PPVs. The tag team division was the worst about that; same four guys facing each other every show in singles or tag matchups.

Boring the audience like that just amplified the show's pre-existing flaws. A lot of arcs are aimless. Feuds have no lasting impact--wrestlers will fight someone for three months, then one day later it's like it never happened. Few segments on the show mean anything beyond the five minute window in which they appear. Except the main event angle, which is shoved down your throat with a hundred replays in between commentary shitting all over midcard matches by ignoring them entirely in favor of talking about the ME angle. There's no continuity, no logic behind the product. People lost their investment in the show and it's doing nothing to pull them back in.

Fox318

AJ Styles almost killed somebody again with the Styles Clash

How many people will he kill before people tell him to stop with that move?

Ratings are okay week to week. Sting brought in a million more viewers than usual last week, all of whom immediately left after it was clear he wasn't showing up. Network numbers got their ass kicked though; international debut brought in as many people as the Network lost domestically that month. Current product isn't sustaining interest among the paying crowd.

Could be wrong, but I think it's the quality of the show as the older audience sees it that's doing it. For my circle of wrestling watching friends, WWE's programming became too pointless and too obvious about its pointlessness. Not enough interesting things happened to warrant losing three hours of your Monday night. (Considering how few interesting things happened between WM and SummerSlam, it's amazing that things got worse.) They recycled too many matches. Not just matchups; actual matches--for August-September, they gave us the same midcard matches every week, sometimes showing the same matches scheduled in upcoming PPVs. The tag team division was the worst about that; same four guys facing each other every show in singles or tag matchups.

Boring the audience like that just amplified the show's pre-existing flaws. A lot of arcs are aimless. Feuds have no lasting impact--wrestlers will fight someone for three months, then one day later it's like it never happened. Few segments on the show mean anything beyond the five minute window in which they appear. Except the main event angle, which is shoved down your throat with a hundred replays in between commentary shitting all over midcard matches by ignoring them entirely in favor of talking about the ME angle. There's no continuity, no logic behind the product. People lost their investment in the show and it's doing nothing to pull them back in.
You could be talking about loads of periods from the last decade or so. Obviously there has been bright periods, and I see the complaint fairly leveled at the current product, but I also don't see the current product as being the worst offender of it. I'd love to see tag become the second most prestigious belt once again as it was before the invasion, but I don't see that happening unless they raided the indys.

Top Bottom