• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Sinacember to Remember

Missy Hyatt's watching Takeover and...

u3SeW7Y.png

She ain't wrong

he should just cut most of the top off and leave it waylon mercy style.

the stringy hair works for his stringy body

Yoshitatsu is doing English commentary as well for WK10

*Yoshitatsu was announced as part of the English language broadcast team for the 1/4 Tokyo Dome show. He will be working with Kevin Kelly and Matt Striker filling in the holes needed to translate Japanese. He's very excited for getting this shot. This was a decision made some time back but New Japan just announced it tonight.

About 45 minutes until the last NJPW show of 2015, friends;

u3Xzx19.jpg

Who's watching? I've got high hopes for Dorada vs BUSHI, plus there's a chance Yano's mystery partners are revealed and a big main event of Tanahashi & Shibata vs Okada & Ishii.

Striker

What a shame lol.

Watching this Warrior Hunter match is even funnier now after reading how much Vince lobbied to have him back.
Apparently he went to one of Vince's guys (Brisco?) and tried to get the match changed in some way. Then Warrior finds out and tells Hunter if he had a problem or wanted to talk about how the match will go, to go to him, rather than scurrying away to the office.

What a shame lol.

Watching this Warrior Hunter match is even funnier now after reading how much Vince lobbied to have him back.

Even after they fired Warrior in 1996, Vince was already begging him to come back a year later after they lost Bret Hart.

In the lawsuit Warrior filed over the DVD, a document came up in discovery. It was an official offer from Vince for Warrior to come back. It's dated December 17, 1997. Vince offered Warrior a guaranteed 5-year deal where he'd be paid a downside of $750,000 a year and be given a 35% cut of all merchandise sales (everyone else, including Stone Cold Steve Austin, was only getting 25%). He also would have only been required to work 14 dates a month: all Monday Night RAWs, each PPV, and whatever the balance of live events was.

Warrior declined and ended up getting a shit ton of money from WCW in 1998 for about 3 months.

bjork

Seeing Hunter squashed by (/v\) live is something that can never be taken away from me, at least until dementia sets in.

This coming week: I'm off Monday night and Saturday night. So the night of the 23rd, I work. The night of the 24th, I work. The night of Christmas, I work. Fa la la la laaaa

Also, as much as I love Yano's mystery partners (and I'm hoping for a big surprise, maybe the Briscoes?)

Ahem....would somebody get that phone?

BECAUSE I CALLED IT!!!!!

Also, BUSHI is the new CMLL Welterweight champion, marking the first time (I think) a CMLL title has changed hands in Japan. I'm sure back when they used the NWA belts they changed a whole bunch of times (like with the J-Crown) but since they started using their own belts not so much, I may be wrong though, Boots? EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot that Taguchi traded the title with Dorada back when Dorada toured New Japan in 2011.

Also, funny moment from Naito as he said he would turn Goto into Captain New Japan 2, aka a complete loser who nobody likes who loses all of his matches.

Tenzan and Nakanishi were beating the snot out of each other after their tag match, leading me to believe something is brewing between the two for the NJ Rumble.

Liger positioned himself as KUSHIDA's first challenger if KUSHIDA wins the Jr. title at WK10. Since he's obviously doing so, this is a nice way to legitimize KUSHIDA's reign (even if Liger doesn't mean much in NJPW anymore) although I think BUSHI will likely be his first major feud.

It was last night and way too late for me to stay up and watch even though I wanted to.

Was it any good?

Surprisingly decent. AJ looked great in his match with Lethal, I wouldn't have guessed that he has a back injury. Fish/Strong was a lot of fun, and O'Reilly vs. Adam Cole (baybay) was a satisfying conclusion to their feud. The only big disappointment was War Machine squashing the Kingdom, but that was necessary as Taven got hurt early and they had to go home quickly. It also worked out as Taven, Bennett, and Maria are apparently all done with ROH - not sure if they are going to New Japan full time (which would make sense given how over they are) or elsewhere.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Bootaaay. If you haven't, you should watch Bone Tomahawk, right up your alley.

Yep, I watched it a month or so back - I love a film with good tension building, plus: practical effects! Kurt Russell needs to do more cool stuff, feels like I haven't seen him in anything this good for ages.

Fox318

It was last night and way too late for me to stay up and watch even though I wanted to.

Was it any good?
I mean observer radio seemed to like it but they also said it didn't feel like a big show.

ROH is like PWG in that you can tell they have no desire to grow their company at all.

Surprisingly decent. AJ looked great in his match with Lethal, I wouldn't have guessed that he has a back injury. Fish/Strong was a lot of fun, and O'Reilly vs. Adam Cole (baybay) was a satisfying conclusion to their feud. The only big disappointment was War Machine squashing the Kingdom, but that was necessary as Taven got hurt early and they had to go home quickly. It also worked out as Taven, Bennett, and Maria are apparently all done with ROH - not sure if they are going to New Japan full time (which would make sense given how over they are) or elsewhere.

GQkOyDp.gif

Fox318

Which is why they have a partnership with New Japan?
Made a deal with Destination America?
When I think of a wrestling promotion growing I think of ICW renting out that big arena.

All ROH did was send tapes to Destination America and work as an American devolpmental terotory for NJPW.

ROH is doing safe moves, not moves to grow but moves to survive

Growth is New Japan actually doing stuff in English, HighSpots starting a streaming service, WWE doing the Network, ICW doing a show in that big arena (and it proceeding to sell out)

somedevil

When I think of a wrestling promotion growing I think of ICW renting out that big arena.

All ROH did was send tapes to Destination America and work as an American devolpmental terotory for NJPW.

Well they are going to be doing a tour of Japan soon. So that is a bit of growth. The problem with ROH is the company that owns them is not willing to give the money needed to grow the company.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Even after they fired Warrior in 1996, Vince was already begging him to come back a year later after they lost Bret Hart.

In the lawsuit Warrior filed over the DVD, a document came up in discovery. It was an official offer from Vince for Warrior to come back. It's dated December 17, 1997. Vince offered Warrior a guaranteed 5-year deal where he'd be paid a downside of $750,000 a year and be given a 35% cut of all merchandise sales (everyone else, including Stone Cold Steve Austin, was only getting 25%). He also would have only been required to work 14 dates a month: all Monday Night RAWs, each PPV, and whatever the balance of live events was.

Warrior declined and ended up getting a shit ton of money from WCW in 1998 for about 3 months.

It's also a myth that Warrior wasn't a draw in 1996. He's clearly the most over person at any of the shows he participates in.

Bizazedo

Well they are going to be doing a tour of Japan soon. So that is a bit of growth. The problem with ROH is the company that owns them is not willing to give the money needed to grow the company.

Well, their lighting / big screen / production values were much better last night than the last time I saw them in Philly.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Everytime ROH has tried to expand they've ended up fucking up and being in a worse position than when they started, usually because their ownership is too cheap. Which is why now they mainly make moves to maintain the status quo.

Not really sure what ROH or any company could do. Don't think the appetite is there for non wwe like in the UK

Wrestling in the UK is the hottest it's been since world of sport.

Remember how much a failure TNA going on the road was

somedevil

Not really sure what ROH or any company could do. Don't think the appetite is there for non wwe like in the UK

Wrestling in the UK is the hottest it's been since world of sport.

Remember how much a failure TNA going on the road was

If ROH was on Spike with money would it work or if Lucha Underground was on Spike would people watch?

It wouldn't surprise me if TNA completely soured Spike on wrestling. Not like Bellator and boxing haven't made up for it either with regards to money and viewers

Aren't less and less people watching wrestling now? I don't think there's enough time or interest in people's life to watch so much wrestling from so many different promotions on TV now.

Top Bottom