• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Sinacember to Remember

Barrage

TV ratings may be antiquated in how they are gathered and used, but it does say this:

People are starting to not watch anymore.
If the product was hot, good for that matter. ratings would be high.

Top shows still get high ratings. GOT gets high ratings. Football gets high ratings. Some are guys are missing the point that the product is horrific right now.

That concept couldn't be more wrong.

When everyone was complaining about Cena's "Same Old Shit", but the ratings were high, I don't remember anyone saying that meant the show was good.

TV ratings may be antiquated in how they are gathered and used, but it does say this:

Top shows still get high ratings. GOT gets high ratings. Football gets high ratings. Some are guys are missing the point that the product is horrific right now.
Primetime CBS shows also get high ratings and they're normally terrible.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

With the advent of social media people can consume shows in numerous different ways, whether it's with a streaming service or digested through a writeup, tweet of a gif or a podcast. Just because more people are choosing not to sit down and watch a 3 hour Raw the MOMENT it airs does not mean they aren't checking out the cut down version on hulu for example. WWE is less concerned with ratings as they are with mind share. A John Cena or RKO meme is just as good for them as a ratings bump, because it keeps them in peoples minds.

RBH

With that beautiful Georgia Dome background too :')

Kaiterra

Banned
Is there a decent way for me to watch season 1 of Lucha Underground yet? I just wasn't feeling trying to keep up through finding Youtube links that were not going to stick around.

Primetime CBS shows also get high ratings and they're normally terrible.

Supergirl has been a hell of a lot more fun to watch than Raw, and has a much better top face.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's crazy how meaningless ratings are compared to social media impact. It's gotta change, the way people see these things.

lol, that's high level clever there, if you meant it.

But that's just it. Even if they pull a 2.0 every week, if someone says "what happened on Raw" to me, the answer is nothing because they never take any risks or make it feel like something could happen from week to week.

Kaladin

It's crazy how meaningless ratings are compared to social media impact. It's gotta change, the way people see these things.

Let's look at your social media impact, shall we? We'll even use Twitter, the WWE preferred Network.

http://www.pwtorch.com/site/2015/12/08/5103/

— December 7: Monday’s Raw recouped last week’s big loss in Nielsen’s Twitter TV Ratings, returning Raw to the same point as two weeks ago.

Dec. 7: 1.366 million uniques
Nov. 30: 1.077 million uniques
Nov. 23: 1.363 million uniques

Raw’s total impressions were 7.979 million, up from 7.593 million last week.

– Among series & specials on Monday night, Raw ranked #3 behind “Love & Hip Hop: Hollywood” on VH1 and “The Voice” on NBC.

If compared to one-off sports programming, Raw also would have ranked #3 behind the NFL Monday Night Football game on ESPN, plus one college basketball game.

WWE Raw Social Media Scoresheet 2015

– Unique High: 3.563 million (3/30 post-WM31)
– Impressions High: 26.587 million (3/30 post-WM31)
– Uniques Low: 1.077 million (11/30) … previous – 1.121 million (9/14) & 1.130 million (9/7), 1.234 million (1/5)
– Impressions Low: 6.682 million (11/9) … previous – 7.127 million (6/8)

Wow....they're even scraping the bottom in the Twitter ratings. And last week was an all time low for them in that category as well.

Kaiterra

Banned
I am pretty sure that I had the ratings repeatedly shoved in my face to justify burying Daniel Bryan just earlier this year on this board and they weren't half as bad then as they are now. I can't (or am just too lazy to) prove it was the same people here saying they don't matter NOW, but it's funny how flexible the prevailing wisdom can be.

Mizerman

I am pretty sure that I had the ratings repeatedly shoved in my face to justify burying Daniel Bryan just earlier this year on this board and they weren't half as bad then as they are now. I can't (or am just too lazy to) prove it was the same people here saying they don't matter NOW, but it's funny how flexible the prevailing wisdom can be.

I remember those times while lurking around. Excuses were made in abundance.

UberTag

It was the same people. Don't fret, though... the same tailoring the results to suit your agenda happens inside WWE Headquarters in Stamford all the time.

I'm man enough to say I pointed out ratings were shit under Bryan (fuck Bryan) and they're shit under Sheamus (fuck current Sheamus. I love him, but his chance at being a big shot passed because of their fuckups long ago) and Reigns (I love him, but fuck his scripting and his current character. His chance at being a big shot while ultimately will be pushed is never going to be as impactful or important as it could have been because of their fuckups throughout the last calendar year)

TLDR Fuck Bryan, fuck current Sheamus, fuck current Reigns, and double fuck Bryan

I specifically remember that after Wrestlemania XXX, a.ka. after he actually got a concerted and tangible push and came out on top, Daniel Bryan's segments, horrible as they were (thanks, Kane!), were the highest-rated parts of the show. Where he faltered was as a draw for house shows, because house shows are attended mainly by kids (who were so-so on Bryan) and their families, and his merch was only a solid seller (a.k.a. nowhere near Cena). Reigns, on the other hand, does well in terms of drawing for house shows, and is the #2 merch seller behind Cena, even as ratings have done poorly during his tenure on top - again, because he appeals to kids and to women, who are the smallest but most profitable demographic for WWE to market to. WWE probably assumes that they'll get viewers back during Mania season, regardless, and that their TV contract is guaranteed to generate more and more revenue for the next few years, even if the ratings are less than what they were.

Edit: Current Sheamus is the best he's been. Irish Viking is a great look, and he remains a great wrestler (most recent Elimination Chamber aside), whatever his flaws in character.

fuck current Sheamus. current.

as opposed to all those other times when he was great

I like him as a person. I liked him killing Noble. I liked 18 seconds because lol. I loved lobster head. I like his replacement theme and entrance. I even love FELLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I hate ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED. I hate I DON'T LOOK STUPID. I hate his first WWE title win. I hate his second WWE title win. I hate his most recent WWE title win.

Basically anytime they try to actually do something with him, they fuck it up and I hate it. This current run? The worst. Even moreso than when he won a belt and immediately got chased out of the building by Nexus like a scrub.

Kaiterra

Banned
I like him as a person. I liked him killing Noble. I liked 18 seconds because lol. I loved lobster head. I like his replacement theme and entrance. I even love FELLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I hate ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED. I hate I DON'T LOOK STUPID. I hate his first WWE title win. I hate his second WWE title win. I hate his most recent WWE title win.

Basically anytime they try to actually do something with him, they fuck it up and I hate it. This current run? The worst. Even moreso than when he won a belt and immediately got chased out of the building by Nexus like a scrub.

This is basically true for most guys. Maybe Cesaro is lucky.

I liked Bryan the best when he was the anti-underdog heel with a chip on his shoulder. I think sheamus shouldn't smile so fucking much, but there are matches of his I enjoy. I never really liked Reigns, even in the Shield.

So of those three, Bryan is the only guy I liked from a character and in ring guy at one time.

Zach

Starrcade '83: A Flair for the Gold - B

Starrcade '84: The Million Dollar Challenge - C

WrestleMania - B-
The Wrestling Classic - D+
Starrcade '85: The Gathering - C

WrestleMania 2 - C+
The Big Event - C-
Starrcade '86: The Sky Walkers - C+

WrestleMania III - B-
Starrcade '87: Chi-Town Heat - C+
Survivor Series '87 - C-

Bunkhouse Stampede '88 - C-
Royal Rumble '88 - C-
Clash of the Champions I - B+
WrestleMania IV - C
Clash of the Champions II - C+
The Great American Bash '88 - B
SummerSlam '88 - D
Clash of the Champions III - C-
Survivor Series '88 - D
Clash of the Champions IV - C+
Starrcade '88: True Gritt - B

Royal Rumble '89 - F
Clash of the Champions V - C-
Clash of the Champions VI - B
WrestleMania V - B-
WrestleWar '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VII - C+
The Great American Bash '89 - B+
SummerSlam '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VIII - B-
Halloween Havoc '89 - C+
Clash of the Champions IX - B
Survivor Series '89 - D+
Starrcade '89: Future Shock - C+

Royal Rumble '90 - D+
Clash of the Champions X - B-
WrestleWar '90 - C
WrestleMania VI - B
Capital Combat: The Return of Robocop - B-
Clash of the Champions XI - C
The Great American Bash '90 - B-
SummerSlam '90 - D
Clash of the Champions XII - D
Halloween Havoc '90 - C-
Clash of the Champions XIII - D
Survivor Series '90 - D+
Starrcade '90: Collision Course - B-

Royal Rumble '91 - D+
Clash of the Champions XIV - B-
WrestleWar '91 - C+
WrestleMania VII - D+
SuperBrawl - C-
Clash of the Champions XV - B-
The Great American Bash '91 - F
SummerSlam '91 - C-
Clash of the Champions XVI - C
Halloween Havoc '91 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVII - B-
Survivor Series '91 - D
This Tuesday in Texas - C
Starrcade '91: Battlebowl - C-

Royal Rumble '92 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVIII - B
SuperBrawl II - B+
WrestleMania VIII - B-
WrestleWar '92 - B-
Beach Blast '92 - B+
Clash of the Champions XIX - B
The Great American Bash '92 - C+
SummerSlam '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XX - B+
Halloween Havoc '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXI - C+
Survivor Series '92 - C-
Starrcade '92 - B-

Clash of the Champions XXII - B
Royal Rumble '93 - C
SuperBrawl III - B-
WrestleMania IX - C-
Slamboree '93 - D+
King of the Ring '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXIII - B-
Beach Blast '93 - B-
Clash of the Champions XXIV - C+
SummerSlam '93 - D
Fall Brawl '93 - C-
Halloween Havoc '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXV - C-
BattleBowl - D
Survivor Series '93 - F
Starrcade '93 - C

Royal Rumble '94 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXVI - B-
SuperBrawl IV - B-
WrestleMania X - B-
Spring Stampede '94 - B
Slamboree '94 - C
King of the Ring '94 - D
Clash of the Champions XXVII - C
Bash at the Beach '94 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXVIII - C+
SummerSlam '94 - C-
Fall Brawl '94 - C-
Halloween Havoc '94 - D+
Clash of the Champions XXIX - D
Survivor Series '94 - F
Starrcade '94 - D

Royal Rumble '95 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXX - D+
SuperBrawl V - D+
Uncensored '95 - F
WrestleMania XI - D+
In Your House 1 - C-
Slamboree '95 - C-
The Great American Bash '95 - D
King of the Ring '95 - F
Bash at the Beach '95 - F
In Your House 2: The Lumberjacks - C
Clash of the Champions XXXI - C
SummerSlam '95 - C+
Fall Brawl '95 - D+
In Your House 3: Triple Header - C+
In Your House 4: Great White North - D+
Halloween Havoc '95 - F
Survivor Series '95 - C+
World War 3 '95 - C
In Your House 5: Seasons Beatings - C-
Starrcade '95 - B-

Royal Rumble '96 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXXII - C
SuperBrawl VI - D+
In Your House 6: Rage in the Cage - C-
Uncensored '96 - D
WrestleMania XII - B-
In Your House 7: Good Friends, Better Enemies - C-
Slamboree '96 - C
In Your House 8: Beware of Dog - B-
The Great American Bash '96 - B
King of the Ring '96 - B-
Bash at the Beach '96 - B
In Your House 9: International Incident - C-
Hog Wild - C
Clash of the Champions XXXIII - C+
SummerSlam '96 - D+
Fall Brawl '96 - B
In Your House 10: Mind Games - C
In Your House 11: Buried Alive - C+
Halloween Havoc '96 - C+
Survivor Series '96 - B-
World War 3 '96 - B-
In Your House 12: It's Time - C
Starrcade '96 - B-

Royal Rumble '97 - D+
Clash of the Champions XXXIV - C
Souled Out '97 - F
In Your House 13: Final Four - C+
SuperBrawl VII - C-
Uncensored '97 - B-
WrestleMania 13 - C
Spring Stampede '97 - C+
Barely Legal '97 - C-
In Your House 14: Revenge of the Taker - C-
In Your House 15: A Cold Day in Hell - C
Slamboree '97 - B-
King of the Ring '97 - D+
The Great American Bash '97 - C
In Your House 16: Canadian Stampede - B-
Bash at the Beach '97 - B
SummerSlam '97 - B
Road Wild '97 - D+
Hardcore Heaven '97 - C
Clash of the Champions XXXV - B-
Ground Zero: In Your House - D+
Fall Brawl '96 - C-
One Night Only - C
Badd Blood: In Your House - D+
Halloween Havoc '97 - B-
Survivor Series '97 - C+
World War 3 '97 - C+
November to Remember '97 - C
D-Generation X: In Your House - C
Starrcade '97 - D+
The Biggest Event in the History of Our Sport. I've refrained from branding Starrcade '97 with a big, fat, furious F due to my issues with the main event. And actually, I've come away with a better impression of the main event having watched it again in context.

Sure, the fast-count-that-wasn't-really-a-fast-count and the general wankery thereafter still sucked, but up to that moment, everything was fine. I think I've changed my mind that Sting should've just squashed Hogan and eliminated the nWo. In context, it's clear that the nWo, while growing stale, should not have ended just yet. I now think that instead of the "fast count" shenanigans, Sting should've kicked out of the leg drop, come back with some white-hot fire, the nWo cronies should've ran out only to be met by the WCW wrasslers that they showed many times in the crowd, and then Sting goes over clean as a whistle with the Scorpion Deathlock.

From here, the cracks could've started to show more and more in the nWo, ultimately leading to its demise in 1998, whether it be in a WarGames match or on its two-year anniversary at Bash at the Beach '98 or heck, even milk it until a winner-take-all match of some kind at Starrcade '98. And after its dissolution, they could hint at it and refer to the specter of the nWo, etc. etc. causing conspiracy and intrigue! :O And then, depending on fan reaction, be willing to either let it stay dead or bring it back later if it made sense.

Anyway, I apologize for the write-up. I know MC Safety prefers that I keep these things brief, but this may be the last one for a long while.

For Data "The Brain" West, for Br- Bronx-Man, im- imbask -- I dunno -- I'm Zach... NeoGAF Vince McMahon, you can go to hell! Straight to hell!

Barrage

I was definently one who brought up that Bryan wasnt a PPV draw, which was 100 percent true. I never said that ratings had anything to with quality, and i stick to that. Raw is bad, ratings are bad. But Raws quality is subjective, and using the ratings as some sort of proof- when wrestling ratings have been great when the show was terrible, and terrible when the show was great- i'll never agree with.

Kaladin

The Biggest Event in the History of Our Sport. I've refrained from branding Starrcade '97 with a big, fat, furious F due to my issues with the main event. And actually, I've come away with a better impression of the main event having watched it again in context.

Sure, the fast-count-that-wasn't-really-a-fast-count and the general wankery thereafter still sucked, but up to that moment, everything was fine. I think I've changed my mind that Sting should've just squashed Hogan and eliminated the nWo. In context, it's clear that the nWo, while growing stale, should not have ended just yet. I now think that instead of the "fast count" shenanigans, Sting should've kicked out of the leg drop, come back with some white-hot fire, the nWo cronies should've ran out only to be met by the WCW wrasslers that they showed many times in the crowd, and then Sting goes over clean as a whistle with the Scorpion Deathlock.

From here, the cracks could've started to show more and more in the nWo, ultimately leading to its demise in 1998, whether it be in a WarGames match or on its two-year anniversary at Bash at the Beach '98 or heck, even milk it until a winner-take-all match of some kind at Starrcade '98. And after its dissolution, they could hint at it and refer to the specter of the nWo, etc. etc. causing conspiracy and intrigue! :O And then, depending on fan reaction, be willing to either let it stay dead or bring it back later if it made sense.

Anyway, I apologize for the write-up. I know MC Safety prefers that I keep these things brief, but this may be the last one for a long while.

For Data "The Brain" West, for Br- Bronx-Man, im- imbask -- I dunno -- I'm Zach... NeoGAF Vince McMahon, you can go to hell! Straight to hell!

These are good. I'm not as far as you are, but it's good to see the ebbs and flows of what I have to look forward to. Old school wrestling is such good mindless background TV.

Kaladin

#Shoot Tuesdays

Whenever I see a Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale, or any # of that type of sale, I always come up with 2 and struggle finding the last one.

Tribute to the Troops and SD both being taped tonight. Tater tots being chanted and
TTTT opens with Rusev submitting Swagger

Long night incoming

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sheamus is the archetype for the future of wrestlers in the WWE and probably wrestling in general if it stays this way.

Well conditioned, can have great matches, performs a variety of moves and can perform them well but has zero character, can't think on his feet, and always just feels like an actor playing a character in the most phony way possible. Everything and everyone feels same-y. Everyone can wrestle but don't have much beyond that.

In my ongoing Rude vs Perfect/Orndorff is better than Perfect fight, WWE right now is like if everyone was Mr. Perfect and don't have a Heenan or a Genius to go with it. It's good to have a couple of guys like that, but EVERYONE is like that.
I want to know if who was more dominate?

Nash's WW3 elimination run
vs
Kane's Rumble

Nash cleared the whole ring and had to wait for everyone else to finish up. Kane's a big doofus.

Strax

Who was it in WCW that started/ended his promos with saying some like "....two time, two time _______ champion of the world" and said two like he was trying to spit at the same time.

TTTT

* There will be a 16-man main event tonight
* Jack Swagger vs. Rusev with Lana is up. Rusev won with The Accolade
* Mark Henry squashed Bo Dallas, who was dressed as Uncle Sam
* Kevin Owens comes out talking about how Canada is better than the United States. Ryback interrupts and we get a match. The match ends when Owens leaves and gets counted out.
* Paige, Sasha Banks, Naomi and Tamina Snuka defeated Charlotte, Becky Lynch, Brie Bella and Alicia Fox
* Roman Reigns, Dean Ambrose, The Usos, The Dudley Boyz, Kane and Ryback defeated Sheamus, Rusev, King Barrett, Alberto Del Rio, Bray Wyatt, Luke Harper, Erick Rowan and Braun Strowman
* The band Train performed. They aired various celebrity tributes throughout the show

Kaladin

TTTT

* There will be a 16-man main event tonight
* Jack Swagger vs. Rusev with Lana is up. Rusev won with The Accolade
* Mark Henry squashed Bo Dallas, who was dressed as Uncle Sam
* Kevin Owens comes out talking about how Canada is better than the United States. Ryback interrupts and we get a match. The match ends when Owens leaves and gets counted out.
* Paige, Sasha Banks, Naomi and Tamina Snuka defeated Charlotte, Becky Lynch, Brie Bella and Alicia Fox
* Roman Reigns, Dean Ambrose, The Usos, The Dudley Boyz, Kane and Ryback defeated Sheamus, Rusev, King Barrett, Alberto Del Rio, Bray Wyatt, Luke Harper, Erick Rowan and Braun Strowman
* The band Train performed. They aired various celebrity tributes throughout the show

Welcome to 2015,
where foreigners submit Americans and Uncle Sam is a heel.

Oersted

I heard from a WWE source several weeks back that WWE Tag Team Champions The New Day were doing great merchandise numbers, thanks to the sales from their t-shirts and socks. Apparently Xavier Woods' 'UpUpDownDown' gear has sold well also.

This is probably why WWE released a bunch of new merchandise for the group on Monday. Kofi Kingston noted on Twitter that the unicorn horns sold out in just 5 hours.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Stroud articulates what was the most disappointing moment of Raw last night for me:

There’s a moment during the opening segment where the Wyatt Family show up out of nowhere and confront the League of Nations, and it gets the crowd on their feet. They’re chanting “yes,” and the reason why is simple: They’ve just seen something unexpected, something they couldn’t predict by watching any other Raw, and the possibilities flooding their brain got them excited. What if the Wyatts turned face? What if they recreated the vibe The Shield had, where they’re these weird, counter-culture mercenaries who show up and destroy people based on their code, whether that’s inherently right or wrong? How great would it be if Bray could be unleashed as that “tear the system down from the inside” manic preacher he was during his NXT farewell speech? They’ve run their course as heels and have proven they can’t beat anybody, but what if all that changed? What if we could do a hard reboot in an instant, get everybody behind it immediately with no work, and go somewhere fresh and fun?

That’s when the Dudley Boyz’ music hit, and you realized it was just a tease, and business as usual.

Carnby

I specifically remember that after Wrestlemania XXX, a.ka. after he actually got a concerted and tangible push and came out on top, Daniel Bryan's segments, horrible as they were (thanks, Kane!), were the highest-rated parts of the show. Where he faltered was as a draw for house shows, because house shows are attended mainly by kids (who were so-so on Bryan) and their families, and his merch was only a solid seller (a.k.a. nowhere near Cena). Reigns, on the other hand, does well in terms of drawing for house shows, and is the #2 merch seller behind Cena, even as ratings have done poorly during his tenure on top - again, because he appeals to kids and to women, who are the smallest but most profitable demographic for WWE to market to. WWE probably assumes that they'll get viewers back during Mania season, regardless, and that their TV contract is guaranteed to generate more and more revenue for the next few years, even if the ratings are less than what they were.

Citation needed.

Stroud articulates what was the most disappointing moment of Raw last night for me:

Their first mistake was to expect something out of the Wyatts being on TV

Remember when Bray called out Taker for a Mania match

Remember when he abducted Taker and Kane 8 months later

I'd say "somehow neither of those actually wound up meaning anything" but that stands for most Wyatt angles

Top Bottom