• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Sinacember to Remember

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Cmon, everyone. Shape up, it's not tough to not be shitty.

somedevil

Not really. Being a wrestler doesn't mean you have great taste.

Its just not taste its knowing how real people talk and Reigns has know that what he said last night was not close to that.

Vince wants people to like this guy but giving him promos like this will just make people hate him more. Its like this weird self sabotage. They got to know what happened last night just made things worse for him.

This thread will die the same day Owens starts losing weight

ltyO03J.gif

Cmon, everyone. Shape up, it's not tough to not be shitty.

I love having that Raw Ratings thread, keeps the weirdos who focus on dumb mark bullshit out of my way.

ltyO03J.gif

notworksafe

I quite enjoyed Raw yesterday except for the main event. There's been a real string of poor main events since Seth has been gone.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I quite enjoyed Raw yesterday except for the main event. There's been a real string of poor main events since Seth has been gone.
I agree. Part of it has been them front loading the show. Part of it is no Seth Rollins.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Reigns doesn't care. There have been interviews where he says he will just do what he's told and hopes to get rich

Austin has also repeatedly commented that outside of Cena, no one feels comfortable to challenge WWE Creative, and that even he wouldn't be able to get over under the restrictions that the top talent is currently facing. Reigns (and Ambrose, and Rollins, and pretty much all the top stars) are stuck with that.

notworksafe

I agree. Part of it has been them front loading the show. Part of it is no Seth Rollins.

This was definitely the most front loaded show in a while. I really enjoyed the tag match but that would have been so good as a main event. Oh well.

I do wish that WWE would give their champ a damn win once in a while though. Seth worked well as a chickenshit heel both because of his character and his size. Sheamus is the type that I feel would work better as a dude who kicks ass and takes names. I did enjoy the promo work he did at the beginning though. League of Nations has some serious potential, but I hope WWE can do something with it.

If they had ended that tag team match with the League just knocking the crap out of Team Roman with chairs and getting DQ'd that would have just made them look so much better than the champ getting pinned.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone excited for the Slammys? The Carnies should get ready.

notworksafe

Speaking of strange booking, what was with the Usos stomping the hell out of Xavier Woods? That is definitely not how a face should act. I feel like those teams are being presented in such a backwards manner.

that's the most TNA gif of all TNA gifs

You didn't even hear the part about how the background for it is the show didn't end, but they had to do an Empty Arena match (main event) so they just had all the fans leave early telling them to watch the conclusion on TV when it aired

That was the Sting/Angle Empty Arena match where the Main Event Mafia interfered because WE'RE FAMILY STOP FIGHTING, so they all got to leave early and miss a fuck finish

Mizerman

Speaking of strange booking, what was with the Usos stomping the hell out of Xavier Woods? That is definitely not how a face should act. I feel like those teams are being presented in such a backwards manner.

They've been doing that for awhile now, unfortunately.

Either the faces are booked to be vanilla good guys with no characterization or assholes who do heelish things despite being portrayed as upstanding citizens and that we're supposed to root for them regardless.

Is anyone excited for the Slammys? The Carnies should get ready.

Eh.

imBask

Banned
You didn't even hear the part about how the background for it is the show didn't end, but they had to do an Empty Arena match (main event) so they just had all the fans leave early telling them to watch the conclusion on TV when it aired

That was the Sting/Angle Empty Arena match where the Main Event Mafia interfered because WE'RE FAMILY STOP FIGHTING, so they all got to leave early and miss a fuck finish

giphy.gif

I should try TNA again, I did about 3 months ago and my regrets have faded away

notworksafe

They've been doing that for awhile now, unfortunately.

Either the faces are booked to be vanilla good guys with no characterization or assholes who do heelish things despite being portrayed as upstanding citizens and that we're supposed to root for them regardless.
Yeah I've noticed that happening for a while. I'm not the kind of person that wants a face to be all sugar and cream 100% of the time but jumping someone and stomping on them while yelling "You wanna be a unicorn, huh?" is probably not the best hero material.

Faces should stick to photoshopping their opponent into a woman/baby or maybe throwing out a good burn once in a while. Leave attacking a person while they're down to the bad guys. Good natured ribs, as Vince would say.

Mizerman

Yeah I've noticed that happening for a while. I'm not the kind of person that wants a face to be all sugar and cream 100% of the time but jumping someone and stomping on them while yelling "You wanna be a unicorn, huh?" is probably not the best hero material.

Faces should stick to photoshopping their opponent into a woman/baby or maybe throwing out a good burn once in a while. Leave attacking a person while they're down to the bad guys. Good natured ribs, as Vince would say.

Yeah, the whole squeaky clean face only works for some people and they gotta have the presence to pull it off. You could get away with doing certain heelish stuff if you were portrayed as an anti-hero type, but you gotta be careful with that as well.

Right now, the script given to most of these wrestlers aren't really helping their characters.

Heel

It's sad to say, but I think it was a big ask from Y2Kev and besada to have WrassleGAF avoid the trappings that are inherent to wrestling fans and culture as a whole, if even for 48 hours.

I think Bootaaay may have unknowingly put this all in perspective:

This is a wrestling thread, so images of violence and half-naked wrestlers are to be expected

Many of the problems outlined by Y2Kev ("misogyny, Diet Racism, ass, dick, exclusiveness, assholishness") are core tenets to internet wrestling fans who will never stop living out their personal Attitude Era. They who will continue to cling and complain, hoping one day that it will return after nearly two decades.

We can continue to weed out undesirables, but there will always be this looming, deeply troubling, underlying truth. "Stop doing that" will never be an effective deterrent to them, because deep down they want to tell us they have "two words for us" as they rebelliously chop at their crotches with their arms fashioned into an "X".

Zach

internet wrestling fans who will never stop living out their personal Attitude Era. They who will continue to cling and complain, hoping one day that it will return after nearly two decades.

No one likes the Attitude Era or wants it to return.

notworksafe

Yeah, the whole squeaky clean face only works for some people and they gotta have the presence to pull it off. You could get away with doing certain heelish stuff if you were portrayed as an anti-hero type, but you gotta be careful with that as well.

Right now, the script given to most of these wrestlers aren't really helping their characters.

It seems like the writers are being tasked with making every main face a little bit like Stone Cold without really getting what made him Stone Cold. Not only that, but not everyone needs be Stone Cold.

UberTag

I just don't care what kind of ratings they pull. Antiquated source at that.

What matters is how I feel about what they're doing, not checking to see if other people feel it is popular.
So you have something in common with Donald Trump then. That's practically his life motto.

It's crazy how meaningless ratings are compared to social media impact. It's gotta change, the way people see these things.
You're absolutely right on this point. Television ratings are damned antiquated in terms of both their relevance and how they're calculated.

Its more than that you know. The ratings discussion can talk about why its decreasing and whether viewers are turning elsewhere to watch the show.

Like over 10 percent dvr Raw and plus youtube views of segments are greatly increased. So it seems some people just watch the show view youtube clips on the WWE channel.
Considering what RAW has turned into these days, those people are incredibly smart.
There's no better way to watch Monday Night RAW.
That's arguably an even better format than what Hulu offers.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So you have something in common with Donald Trump then. That's practically his life motto.

Considering what RAW has turned into these days, those people are incredibly smart. There's no better way to watch Monday Night RAW. That's arguably an even better format than what Hulu offers.
There's no need to do that. That's a shitty thing to say to someone. So shitty.

Mizerman

It seems like the writers are being tasked with making every main face a little bit like Stone Cold without really getting what made him Stone Cold. Not only that, but not everyone needs be Stone Cold.

Pretty much.

Like with Reigns in a way. They obviously want him to be the next thing in WWE, but instead of doing it organically, they're trying to make into Cena while replicating the whole DB underdog storyline. It doesn't really work so well because Roman Reigns isn't John Cena. Additionally, the whole underdog thing falls flat because the WWE has been grooming Reigns to be the top guy for a few years now.

UberTag

Austin has also repeatedly commented that outside of Cena, no one feels comfortable to challenge WWE Creative, and that even he wouldn't be able to get over under the restrictions that the top talent is currently facing. Reigns (and Ambrose, and Rollins, and pretty much all the top stars) are stuck with that.
If there's anyone in a position to challenge Creative on anything to make it better right now, it's Roman Reigns. He has to know that. And the fact that he doesn't tells me he doesn't care.

If the entire company is putting all of their eggs in the Reigns basket... and he's not comfortable enough to tell them how to do that in the best way... there's a fundamental disconnect there that won't lead to anything good for the WWE, for its shareholders and for its fans.

That said, I don't begrudge Roman for not caring.

TV ratings may be antiquated in how they are gathered and used, but it does say this:

People are starting to not watch anymore.
If the product was hot, good for that matter. ratings would be high.

Top shows still get high ratings. GOT gets high ratings. Football gets high ratings. Some are guys are missing the point that the product is horrific right now.

Dropkick Murphys cost Reigns the belt
He beats all of them up in Philly, then announces he's going to be in the Rumble
Hundreds arrested for riots (postshow obviously)

Top Bottom