• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| This title has been held by all the greats...and Triple H

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
I'm kind of surprised WK7 wasn't nominated for PPV of the year. Were the other NJPW PPVs that much better, or did it get kind of forgotten cause it was so early in the year.

I've got a bad ass watch later list on YouTube now I'll have to start going through tonight.

Partly because it was the start of the year, partly because Invasion Attack & King of Pro-Wrestling were just so good - plus, with the G1 being counted as one event, I had to vote for that. There was a ridiculous amount of quality wrestling in that tournament and at least two days of the tour that rivalled any other shows this year.

We totally forgot Wrestling Theme of the Year.

No contest;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o9WTnfoXNU

Aiii

So not worth it
As long as COO and Bryan finally have a main event type match I'm good. The story is all set. Everything that everyone hated about Summer of Punk can be fixed.

Well, at least Bryan could carry Triple H to a proper match of the year contender, so that might be for the best.

Why vote when it'd be a unanimous decision

REAL ROCK N ROLLLLLLLL

maaaaaaaaaaaan

you guys are TOO GOOD

You'd just vote for some weaboo wrassler anyway. :p

Errrrrrrrrr

i20boCBOx9P5k.gif

Ithil

Well, at least Bryan could carry Triple H to a proper match of the year contender, so that might be for the best.

Bryan has carried Ryback to a really good match, twice. He can carry Triple H, who is only bad these days from age and wear really.

Kaladin

I got to thinking, with Wrestlemania being in California, will they use Summerslam as story points for it? Maybe save a big Mania rematch for SS that year.....or set the seeds for a match at SS the year before?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I did make the choice to make every entry optional, so people don't garbage-vote something they don't have any knowledge of. Like Non-WWE Match of the Year. That's one where I wished there were more than 5 options, but I had to keep it symmetrical.

Penguin

I got to thinking, with Wrestlemania being in California, will they use Summerslam as story points for it? Maybe save a big Mania rematch for SS that year.....or set the seeds for a match at SS the year before?

I hope they move SummerSlam out of the area for that year

Feels cheap using up your big 2 in the same market. :(

(I also think they should ditch Summerslam being in LA every year, but whatever)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My picks:

Best WWE Superstar: Antonio Cesaro
He's paired with a stinky Swagger and an awesome Zeb Coulter and is consistently all over TV. This is good. He's done so much, love this guy.

Best Non-WWE Wrestler: Shinsuke Nakamura
He's not the best in the ring (but he is excellent) - but when it comes down to it, Nakamura honestly made me care about everything he did. EVERYTHING. He's delightful to watch, tons of fun in the ring, and has physical charisma like no other. As much as I wanted to toss this to Tanahashi (who has had an absolutely phenomenal year, performance and achievement-wise) I'm going with my gut, and that's Nakamura. My favorite!

Best Tag Team: Bad Intentions
I watch very little TNA. VERY little. But when I do, these two guys are the reason why I watch it. I like the Shield, don't get me wrong, but I have to give it to Kaz and Daniels for polishing a turd. Again.

Best Female Wrestler: sigh...AJ Lee
If I had my druthers it'd be Jessicka Havok, but it is what it is. AJ's done a lot, especially considering WWE's treatment. I'll just leave it at that.

WWE Match of the Year: CM Punk vs Brock Lesnar
Brock carried Punk to a great match - no in all seriousness, Punk knows how to work with Brock, and every match Brock shows up for is amazing. This is it.

Non WWE Match of the Year: Shinsuke Nakamura vs Kazushi Sakuraba from Wrestle Kingdom 7
This match really set the year for me. That entrance, that storytelling, and Sakuraba isn't a magnificent wrestler - Nakamura is just that goddamn good and knows how to tell a story with strikers like Sakuraba. As much as I looooved Ishii vs Shibata, Nakamura edges this one out just a tiny bit by giving me everything that I want out of wrestling in one match. Phenomenal.

Promotion of the Year: NJPW
Hands down. They busted their ass and put out SOLID and RELIABLE iPPVs and it shows. They've increased their revenue over 500% this year. They're giving me the product I want with the wrestlers I want. That's all it takes for me. NJPW is the best, hands down.

Best on the Mic/Promo: Paul Heyman
As bad as they got with Heyman vs Punk, Heyman could always, always make me care.

Oh jeezus, I'll have to talk about more of these later. This is turning into a monster post.

Kaladin

Summerslam should be the show that gets a card similar to Wrestlemania, but in a completely different market and in a stadium. Obviously it won't have the star power of a Mania, and the focus should be more on great matches vs matches leading to great moments and celebrities.

Bowser

Officially added to the WWE TLC PPV following last night's Smackdown taping is WWE Tag Team champions Goldust & Cody Rhodes vs. The Real Americans vs. Ryback & Curtis Axel vs. Big Show & Rey Mysterio.

lol Big Show was in the WWE title match 3 weeks ago.

bjork

Dolph, former champ, now in pre-show matches. He and Miz should team up and try to shake things up like they're a new-era DX, but their shtick would be that they're always outwitted and look dumb in the end. Like they drive a jeep to titan tower while wearing camo, and they yell for Vince on a megaphone. But Vince blocks them in an alleyway with his limo and calls the cops. Or they're doing it during a live Raw, and Vince is at the arena in some other state. Etc.

Bowser

Dolph, former champ, now in pre-show matches. He and Miz should team up and try to shake things up like they're a new-era DX, but their shtick would be that they're always outwitted and look dumb in the end. Like they drive a jeep to titan tower while wearing camo, and they yell for Vince on a megaphone. But Vince blocks them in an alleyway with his limo and calls the cops. Or they're doing it during a live Raw, and Vince is at the arena in some other state. Etc.

This would work better if it was Dolph and Ryder

Couple of thoughts looking at the nominations -

Best Tag Team is difficult. Rhodes Bros were my choice but the rest of that list is a fine second. Shield would be an automatic pick, however I have a lot of difficulty thinking of more than a couple of matches that I loved where it was just the [Rollins/Reigns] tag team. They excel at Trios so it'd be sort of unfair to look at their trios matches up against other teams 2v2 matches.

It's a really sad state of affairs for pro wrestling indies that basically the entire NJPW main event scene made it in but not a single Stateside or British wrestler gets a nod, nor do any of their matches. I suppose it has a lot to do with the Performance centre sucking the well dry of named indy talent. At least DDT 2013 got a well deserved nom for show of the year.

The signing of Del Rey shortly followed by the death of Chikara killed a lot of my personal exposure to Women's wrestling. I keep meaning to get into ACW but for the time being I almost have to default to Emma as I haven't seen any Kana or Portia matches from this year off of the top of my head.

Disappointed that no one (or at least not enough people) cribbed my answer of "Renee Young" for best on the mic. Girl knows what she's doing and doesn't have the dead bored presence of so many Matt Strikers and Todd Grishams before her.

jmdajr

Sad to see Rey was not in Retirement category.

I also almost voted for Khalil for worst performer until I saw Eva Marie in the ballot.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Best Tag Team is difficult. Rhodes Bros were my choice but the rest of that list is a fine second. Shield would be an automatic pick, however I have a lot of difficulty thinking of more than a couple of matches that I loved where it was just the [Rollins/Reigns] tag team. They excel at Trios so it'd be sort of unfair to look at their trios matches up against other teams 2v2 matches.

It's a really sad state of affairs for pro wrestling indies that basically the entire NJPW main event scene made it in but not a single Stateside or British wrestler gets a nod, nor do any of their matches. I suppose it has a lot to do with the Performance centre sucking the well dry of named indy talent. At least DDT 2013 got a well deserved nom for show of the year.

The signing of Del Rey shortly followed by the death of Chikara killed a lot of my personal exposure to Women's wrestling. I keep meaning to get into ACW but for the time being I almost have to default to Emma as I haven't seen any Kana or Portia matches from this year off of the top of my head.

Disappointed that no one (or at least not enough people) cribbed my answer of "Renee Young" for best on the mic. Girl knows what she's doing and doesn't have the dead bored presence of so many Matt Strikers and Todd Grishams before her.

I think when it comes to tag team most of the people wanting Rhodes Bros ended up going with the Shield.

The state of American indies is weird, and like you said - Performance Center sucking up a ton of talent, iPPV issues from ROH and others and NJPW's ease of access and availability and success this year all contributed to making American indie wrestling feel like it had a really bad year - CHIKARA didn't help either.

When it comes to female wrestling, the only real option is NXT for a good cross-section, because the rest turn into dodgy iPPVs and with the exception of SHINE and some ACW, I honestly have not watched very much this year, and that makes me sad.

I did like that Renee Young nomination, I chuckled, but yeah you were the only one :p

I don't see how Rhodes or Shield can be best team when you have a legit tag team in the Young Bucks wrecking shop everywhere they are going. Plus if we are talking "mainstream", Bad Influence has been much much better.

As for pro indys, on my end of things, there have been plenty of fantastic matches (PWG, AAW, and the latest DGUSA iPPV come into mind) but the quality of NJPW has just been at an unreal level that nothing else comes even close. I can't speak for British wrestling as I know little to nothing about it. Same with lucha.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
tbh if it weren't for Bootaaay and a couple others in here, I would know next to nothing about british indies. :(

jmdajr

That's for a SmackDown taping?

As long as camera side is full they would be happy. Hell TNA would be thrilled.

edit: I went to a Smackdown PPV in 2005. No mercy. Only 7000 in attendance. Seems ok but not when it fills up to 19,000. I had fun though. 3rd row seats for 150.00

BFIB

Beyond the fact that the roster is overloaded, is there even a reason to have Smackdown at this point? What was the last "major" thing that happened on Smackdown that actually continued a storyline, or have a new champion crowed?

strobogo

Banned
That must be so weird to go to shows and see the wrestlers turn and talk to no one. And you can see there is no one there, but they're pretending to talk to fans on that side.

Top Bottom