• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| This title has been held by all the greats...and Triple H

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

jmdajr

You can still build the IC title and Tag Team divisions.

Plus according to D. Bry on the Steve Austin show, more superstars are going to have to pull double duty going forward (for smackdown)

Xater

Beyond the fact that the roster is overloaded, is there even a reason to have Smackdown at this point? What was the last "major" thing that happened on Smackdown that actually continued a storyline, or have a new champion crowed?

Isn't Smackdown like one of the biggest problem WWE has? Every week they have to fill 5 hours of TV. The show might be more useful if Raw was still 2 hours long.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
FP8yE1F.gif

Basically this. I'm pretty sure Smackdown is not only one of highest rated shows on Fridays, it's also the highest rated show on SyFy.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Smackdown makes a lot of money in a lot of markets, it is worth keeping. Especially in its current state, as a supplemental show.

Ideally NXT would replace Smackdown, and have a completely separate crew (kind of how they do now) so help fight burnout and fatigue.

Penguin

Isn't Smackdown like one of the biggest problem WWE has? Every week they have to fill 5 hours of TV. The show might be more useful if Raw was still 2 hours long.

The problem with SmackDown is really a lack of brand identity.

It was easier when there was a clear divide in the type of talent that would appear on Raw and Smackdown.

Now, Raw gets everyone and SmackDown gets the occasion guest spot.

They need to ship some upper mid-carders there to make em the main focus of the show. Area where Sheamus and Del Rio would shine, more than being random Raw Superstars.

Even WWE shooting on its angles?

Fact is, swindling Daniel Bryan already felt like an exhausting meme by the time HBK superkicked him in the face at WWE Hell in a Cell. It was like The Authority’s answer to twerking.

KissVibes

Banned
I wonder what would happen if Spike dropped TNA and did ROH instead. Or hell, what if they had a 'best of' wrestling show fill that spot?

jred2k

SmackDown has actually been pretty decent for a couple months now. There are stinkers here and there, but there are regularly good matches. They get more time than Raw for the most part.

Its just weird how its simultaneously treated like it does and doesn't matter. Titus puking was the most they've shown a clip from SmackDown in ages.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bish didn't lock the thread, dunno why the other guy had to come in and do it.

We got Opiate now. He's on our list. We know what to do.

beep boop boop Opiate must face a COMPUTER...in a steel cage of WIRES

BFIB

It's Opiate. He's pretty much a fun terminator. Sent from the future to kill all joy and happiness.

I was surprised he closed the thread. He posts on MLB-GAF and tends to have a lot of leeway there.

I really hate that Wrassle-GAF is compared with Pop-GAF though.

strobogo

Banned
You know, BFG 2010 is legitimately enjoyable just to pick apart the story lines and weird shit Taz says. I've seen a lot of WCW shows that weren't nearly as enjoyable to watch even for that.

I wonder what would happen if Spike dropped TNA and did ROH instead. Or hell, what if they had a 'best of' wrestling show fill that spot?

A television network already owns ROH. They wouldn't sell unless a nice offer came.

Bish didn't lock the thread, dunno why the other guy had to come in and do it.

We got Opiate now. He's on our list. We know what to do.

beep boop boop Opiate must face a COMPUTER...in a steel cage of WIRES

It's Opiate. He's pretty much a fun terminator. Sent from the future to kill all joy and happiness.

THE JOBBER OF MODS

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I was surprised he closed the thread. He posts on MLB-GAF and tends to have a lot of leeway there.

Opiate?! SPORTS?!

Oh wait, Baseball is fuckload of stats. It checks out.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea

It was easier when there was a clear divide in the type of talent that would appear on Raw and Smackdown.

They need to ship some upper mid-carders there to make em the main focus of the show. Area where Sheamus and Del Rio would shine, more than being random Raw Superstars.

Smackdown Six. Never Forget.

I would love to see Smackdown as more of a "Wrestling" and undercard show and leave the "Sports Entertainment" to Raw. That would really elevate the belts which in turn, would help the midcard guys.

This reads awfully close to criticism of the WWE's choices here, a dangerous move in WWE where any non walking on eggshells can get someone fired.

WWE.com articles always struck me as kind of odd since a lot of them appeal to the "smark" crowd, but I figure it's because they probably frequent the site more than the casual fan.

Well if it's like the old days , the undisputed champ will be on raw and Smackdown !

Plus I can see Spike buying Smackdown and dropping TNA

I could be wrong but I think WWE left on bad terms with spike so that might not happen. But if that were to happen, TNA would be done for, unless they go on a different channel or online only like before.

I dunno, we're both insular communities filled with catfighting, we both have our own gifs that get crossposted across the forum, we both have our own set of lingo, we both have Professor Beef.
Makes a lot of sense really.
Dn55A.gif

tbh if it weren't for Bootaaay and a couple others in here, I would know next to nothing about british indies. :(

They've been slow to get on board the digital bandwagon, which I think has hurt their international exposure - thankfully, more promotions are making it a goal for 2014 and Progress will be releasing all their shows up to 1080p quality from now on, as they've significantly improved the production values.

Also, while I've seen some GREAT matches on the US & UK indies this year, the fact is that my top 10 list could easily be dominated solely by New Japan matches. That's not a knock at all on the indie scene, it's just that New Japan is kicking ass in a big way. If New Japan didn't exist, I think my match of the year would either be Ricochet vs Zack Sabre Jr. vs Mark Haskins or Zack Sabre Jr. vs Davey Richards.

Malvingt2

jmdajr

oh oh oh

I have to agree.

don't forget....

The Phenom has had the market cornered on Match of the Year for the last half decade (as well he should), but this year’s Slammy belonged to him just the same. That goes double for Punk, who actually had an even better bout this year. But that’s another story.

They've been slow to get on board the digital bandwagon, which I think has hurt their international exposure - thankfully, more promotions are making it a goal for 2014 and Progress will be releasing all their shows up to 1080p quality from now on, as they've significantly improved the production values.

Also, while I've seen some GREAT matches on the US & UK indies this year, the fact is that my top 10 list could easily be dominated solely by New Japan matches. That's not a knock at all on the indie scene, it's just that New Japan is kicking ass in a big way. If New Japan didn't exist, I think my match of the year would either be Ricochet vs Zack Sabre Jr. vs Mark Haskins or Zack Sabre Jr. vs Davey Richards.

Bootaaay has got me all hyped up for Progress. I want to check out one of their shows.

And I'm not a big deathmatch guy but my non-NJPW MOTY is PWG Guerrilla Warfare match between Sami Callihan vs Drake Younger.

The Inner-City Machine Guns vs. AR Fox and Samuray Del Sol and The Unbreakable Fucking Steen Machines vs. Ricochet, AR Fox, & Rich Swann are my other MOTYC. Also can't forget the Ladder Match for the PWG World Tag Team Titles: The Young Bucks vs. The Inner-City Machine Guns vs. DojoBros

ASW 9 is my non NJPW show of the year.

And I'm not a big deathmatch guy but my non-NJPW MOTY is PWG Guerrilla Warfare match between Sami Callihan vs Drake Younger.

I might be inclined to agree. But the entire time watching it my friend and I were screaming at the television for them to stop, I was expecting pieces of Younger's brain start falling out of that gash on the back of his skull.

It was definitely a star making moment for Drake but having seen the match twice now I'm not sure I'd watch it again.

kirblar

Trying to make Raw/Smackdown separate "brands" was a terrible idea in the first place.

Top Bottom