• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| This title has been held by all the greats...and Triple H

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

jmdajr

I still love that thread that showed how Pronhub tabulated console search hits.

Nintendo fans love their H.

EDIT:You know, last time I went to a WWE live event I saw Yoshi Tatsu signing autographs by the merch truck. I got my fill of Japanese wrestlers for at least a year.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dude, the Rhodes Bros. angle was great.

The Rhodes Bros was fine, but the better angle would have been for Rhodes to come back and feud with Orton not tag teaming. He should have been the Authority 'feud' after Bryan instead of Big Show.
Updating my matches of the year list - can anyone point me to some of the better WWE matches over the past couple of months? Or should I just watch everything with RhodesBros, Shield, Cesaro, D-Brine, Punk, etc?

The aforementioned Rhodes vs Orton match was real good. Probably the last 'Orton gives a shit' match before he realized the H's were making the angle about them instead of the champion.

strobogo

Banned
I voted for the Rhodes family hugging. It made me happy. It was really a toss up between that and Daniel Bryan beating Cena, but the aftermath has really tainted the moment.

Because the Rhodes have a great grasp of Southern tag psychology, of when to hit their spots, of when to fire up, of when to sell. The Bucks just roll through tons of double team moves because that's what you do in a tag team. Heavy over reliance on convoluted double team spots. Extreme over reliance on superkicks. Any kind of psychology goes completely out the window as they have over long finishing stretches that are all about doing as many moves as possible and kicking out of things that look like they should kill you. They're basically every Lynn/RVD matched rolled into a tag team.

The YBs don't do storytelling, they don't do psychology. They have a list of bullet point spots to hit, and that's all they do, and it doesn't matter when.

Fuck those losers.

I'd argue it is a product of their environment more than anything and the fact that they are willing to adapt shows even moreso on how great they are. Compare their PWG matches with their NJPW matches in the Jr. Tag League. There is a difference. Superkicks still exist though.

And to say that psychology doesn't exist even in the more spotty matches is simply incorrect. If that was the case, then every spotfest match would be just as exciting as the others when that clearly isn't the case.

Long live the superkick.

70 of those are FallingEdge redoing the survey so the Young Bucks would win.

Don't need to! They will win on their own!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'd argue it is a product of their environment more than anything and the fact that they are willing to adapt if even moreso on how great they are. Compare their PWG matches with their NJPW matches in the Jr. Tag League. There is a difference. Superkicks still exist though.

"A product of their environment"

you should be a court-appointed lawyer, the excuses you're making are up there with the OJ acquittal.

"A product of their environment"

you should be a court-appointed lawyer, the excuses you're making are up there with the OJ acquittal.

:D

Plainly put, their matches in PWG are different than their matches in NJPW. I admit that PWG is a lot more of a spot fest but that is what the crowd loves and they can work that style very well. They do a damn good job working the Puroresu style too.

Ithil

NXT and NJPW are all I need

high-fly-flowt4iml.gif

boma-ye0wfs3.gif

goaheadidontneedmychehqxt2.gif

catch65io5.gif

noflipsforyoungitl.gif

flippityfloopxfy43.gif

strobogo

Banned
I'd argue it is a product of their environment more than anything and the fact that they are willing to adapt if even moreso on how great they are. Compare their PWG matches with their NJPW matches in the Jr. Tag League. There is a difference. Superkicks still exist though.

And to say that psychology doesn't exist even in the more spotty matches is simply incorrect. If that was the case, then every spotfest match would be just as exciting as the others when that clearly isn't the case.

Long live the superkick.

Don't need to! They will win on their own!

Those same PWG fans find that same fucking match just as exciting every time no matter who the opponents are. Their formula is more strict and stupid as Kurt Angle's formula which makes him have the same match with Matt Morgan as he would Jay Lethal. What psychology do you see in their matches that end in 10 minutes of flips and superkicks? I mean shit, lucha usually has more psychology than YB matches and lucha is known for its complete lack of in ring logic most of the time.

Those same PWG fans find that same fucking match just as exciting every time no matter who the opponents are. Their formula is more strict and stupid as Kurt Angle's formula which makes him have the same match with Matt Morgan as he would Jay Lethal. What psychology do you see in their matches that end in 10 minutes of flips and superkicks? I mean shit, lucha usually has more psychology than YB matches and lucha is known for its complete lack of in ring logic most of the time.

You still have to know when and where to do said flips and superkicks. You can't just bust them out and expect some sort of reaction. I get the idea of "lol indy wrestling" but if it was that easy, then all of the matches would indeed generate that type of reaction but I have to disagree with you when you say that they act just as excited every time no matter who the opponents are. I thought that Trent? did a pretty good job but the crowd just didn't care. Plus, I have seen plenty of matches in various indy feds in which the wrestlers and matches were flippy spotfests but they just aren't any good. As we all know, I am a mark for the Bucks but I do think that a lot of the criticisms they get are a bit unfair.

They are constantly a part of the best tag team matches year after year. They have to be doing something right.

Take this from someone who has actually watched a Young Bucks match this year, they're one of the most consistent tag teams going today and if you think they continually wrestle the same match over and over, you obviously haven't watched a lot of their matches.

But, of course, there's no point trying to defend them. Hell, it's the same with Davey Richards - I saw him wrestle one of the best technical matches I've seen all year, he told a story in the ring and sold better than most WWE 'superstars', but the shit he gets here for those couple of gifs, Jesus.

Xater

Man all of you guys gushing over NJPW makes me curious. Problem is I also love wrestling promos and I doubt there are at least subtitled versions. Am I right in that assumption?

XenoRaven

So what is the Young Bucks' gimmick? Are they like a parody of indie wrestlers where they do a bunch of crazy unnecessary shit and then celebrate like they're the best thing ever?

strobogo

Banned
If the bucks weren't good they wouldn't be getting booked everywhere .

They are fun to watch period

This is patently false. Tons of guys who aren't good have been booked for years in pro wrestling. The Nasty Boys had steady jobs in WCW/WWF for 10 years. Think of all the terrible, terrible guys who got booked over the years.

XenoRaven

Man all of you guys gushing over NJPW makes me curious. Problem is I also love wrestling promos and I doubt there are at least subtitled versions. Am I right in that assumption?
If I may ask a stupid question, who is cutting promos that you enjoy right now?

Voted.

Wow. I was gone during the nomination process, so I shouldn't complain, but in true the spirit of wrasslegaf, I won't let that stop me from complaining. The thinness of quality female nominees was pretty shameful. This should obviously be a category where the nominees are curated by a small board of wrassleGAFers who actually watch female wrasslin. And then normal wrassleGAFers can fuck it all up by voting for the one or two names they recognize anyway.

Except WWe/WCW could afford to take risks. If young bucks didn draw they wouldn't be booked let alone be champions are every indy promotion

Watch young bucks vs bad intentions and tell me they suck !

Yeah, no subtitles - however, during the PPVs yottsume will tweet his translations of the promos and random stuff the commentators are saying.

Really though, promos in Japan are often very short and very to the point. You won't get anyone telling a story with a promo, just making a challenge or antagonising a rival. It's much more about character than it is promo skills and that's one thing New Japan does very well - everyone has an easily identifiable, distinct character, right across the roster.

You should join us for the big Wrestle Kingdom 8 show on January 4th, I'm sure there'll be a bunch of WrassleGAF'ers watching live;

www.ustream.tv/njpw

Voted.

Wow. I was gone during the nomination process, so I shouldn't complain, but in true the spirit of wrasslegaf, I won't let that stop me from complaining. The thinness of quality female nominees was pretty shameful. This should obviously be a category where the nominees are curated by a small board of wrassleGAFers who actually watch female wrasslin. And then normal wrassleGAFers can fuck it all up by voting for the one or two names they recognize anyway.

I nominated Yuhi, but she didn't get in so I voted for Kana. There's a lot of wrestler's I would have liked to vote for, but so few round here watch women's wrestling - Su Yung, Jessicka Havoc, Mia Yim, Rain, Melissa, Kimber Lee and a whole bunch more have had a great year and I've really enjoyed their work.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea

You'll find some subbed stuff if you look hard enough but unfortunately there's not a whole lot of it. There's not really a dedicated group of Puroresu subbers as far as I know.

Luckily the stories are pretty simple and straightforward so it's fairly easy to figure out what's going on. Plus there are websites that can get you up to date with stories, and the foreign talent tend to cut promos in English anyway.

If I had a time machine I'd take The Young Bucks back to 1999 and introduce them to Vince Russo. Then I'd teleport back to the present, head over to legitshook.com and read strobogo's gushing reviews of how the Bucks are the one saving grace of WCW '99.

If I had a time machine I'd take The Young Bucks back to 1999 and introduce them to Vince Russo. Then I'd teleport back to the present, head over to legitshook.com and read strobogo's gushing reviews of how the Bucks are the one saving grace of WCW '99.

This is amazing.

Greatest scenario ever.

I'm changing my vote to Bootaaay for WrassleGAFer of the year

ghostmind

You'll find some subbed stuff if you look hard enough but unfortunately there's not a whole lot of it. There's not really a dedicated group of Puroresu subbers as far as I know.

Luckily the stories are pretty simple and straightforward so it's fairly easy to figure out what's going on. Plus there are websites that can get you up to date with stories, and the foreign talent tend to cut promos in English anyway.

And they drop the F-bombs like nobodys business. Doc Gallows was on fire at the end of the Tag League.

Top Bottom