• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| This title has been held by all the greats...and Triple H

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

GolazoDan

Was that the show where Jody Fleisch did a springboard SSP to the floor and dislocated his jaw landing on some steps? Fun times.
Heck yeah. I got the DVD version and had two YouTube hits on my old account. One, Jody Fleisch doing that. Two, Trent Acid doing a springboard crossbody onto the same steps. Even better when you see the two matches and what could have been: Jody Fleisch vs. Ryo Saito and Trent Acid vs. PAC. It was fortunate that IPW:UK did a preshow where I got to see an amazing Generico vs. PAC Best of 3 Falls Match because yeah, Trent Acid was not a good opponent.

Also notable: Chris Hero vs. Claudio Castagnoli where they broke the boards right in the middle of the ring. And Zebra Kid beating the shit out of Davey Richards.

somedevil

Raw viewership for Christmas Raw:

Hour 1 3.893
Hour 2 3.959
Hour 3 3.610

Avg: 3.821

Up 678,000 viewers from last years Santa got hit by Alberto Del Rio car Christmas episode.

Some new joshi;

ICE RIBBON, "NEW AISUHIRO #57 - FESTA IN KAWAGUCHI", 2013.12.01
Kawaguchi, Saitama
178 Fans

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2zlar

01. Kurumi & Kyuri vs Kaho Kobayashi & Miyako Matsumoto
02. Tsukushi vs 235
03. Hikaru Shida & Mio Shirai vs Maki Narumiya & Risa Sera
04. ICExInfinity Title: Tsukasa Fujimoto (c) vs Hamuko Hoshi

JWP, "TSUBASA KURAGAKI 15th ANNIVERSARY ~ WINGS!", 2013.10.14
Shinjuku FACE, Tokyo
376 Fans

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2zltg

01. Arisa Nakajima vs Command Bolshoi
02. KAZUKI, Rydeen Hagane & Sachie Abe vs Rabbit Miu, Tsukushi & Yako Fujigasaki
03. Leon vs GAMI
04. Command Bolshoi & Kyoko Inoue vs Kagetsu & Katsu
05. Tsubasa 15th Anniversary Celebration: Tsubasa Kuragaki vs Kayoko Harumiya
06. JWP Openweight Title: Kana (c) vs Hanako Nakamori

It was fortunate that IPW:UK did a preshow where I got to see an amazing Generico vs. PAC Best of 3 Falls Match because yeah, Trent Acid was not a good opponent.

Yeah, I don't want to speak ill of the dead, but Trent Acid was just horrid in the ring. It's all well and good being able to do all the flippy moves, but he seemed utterly lacking when it came to cooperating with his opponent. I can only think of maybe one or two singles matches Acid had that were worth a damn.

GolazoDan

Nah Trent Acid was pretty good in the early 2000s, had some real potential both as a tag team wrestler and singles wrestler. It wasn't overly difficult to shine in CZW at the time but even so, he seemed to have something about him. When he left ROH in late 2004 that was kinda the end of that for him though.

A favourite of Missy Hyatt's at the time too, ohgod.

I was watching a documentary the other day about Indy Wrestling and it informed Trent Acid had died. I had no idea, so it was a bit of 'oh shit' moment!

Nah Trent Acid was pretty good in the early 2000s, had some real potential both as a tag team wrestler and singles wrestler. It wasn't overly difficult to shine in CZW at the time but even so, he seemed to have something about him. When he left ROH in late 2004 that was kinda the end of that for him though.

He had the potential, but he never lived up to it, imo - I did like the fight without honour he had with Homicide in ROH, though. That's just about the only Acid singles match I really enjoyed. And, yeah, he was definitely a cut above the majority of the CZW crew at the time, but that isn't saying a lot.

gurudyne

I have that moment with a lot of wrestlers. Like Crash Holly. And Bam Bam.

Crash still gets me, but if I ever heard about Bam Bam before now, I forgot. Weird.

Test is another odd one. It's also strange thinking Macho Man is gone, but it's easier to accept that one because he was so iconic. If that makes any sense.

strobogo

Banned
legitshook.com

South Atlantic Professional Wrestling

I believe this show is from sometime in 1991. It was kind of a successor to Continental. I don't know how, but they had local TV. Besides the Continental guys that didn't retire, go to Japan, or WWF/WCW, SAPW was the home of future stars like Tatanka and Ken Shamrock.

The Terminators vs TNT Express

The Terminators are generic fat dudes. The TNT Express look to be the latest in the line of pretty boy tag teams in the vein of The Fabulous Ones and Fantastics. Except one of them is not pretty at all. I would think you'd have a team called The Terminators be two big jacked up dudes. Not short, schlubby guys. Super generic pretty boy tag match. TNT win with a top rope Hart Attack.

iZomiY0KzpNmO.gif

Jeff Husker vs Stevie Boy Adams

Both men have excellent mullets. Davey Boy looks like Farva if he had been a wrestler instead of a state trooper. He actually has a mullet/rat tail combo, with the ends of the tail being bleached blonde. They work a hammer lock for what feels like 7 hours. Husker has a habit of smacking Stevie's arm, which I'm not sure if it is supposed to be how he applies extra pressure or if he's signaling for the next move. It looks like a kid pretending to wrestle. This is one of the most boring matches I've ever seen in my life. It makes Warlord vs Bulldog matches look like Dragon Gate main events. Husker hit a belly to belly. Husker hits a series of shoulder blocks and then wins with a spinning back suplex into a German suplex. He was too blown up from doing a hammerlock for 9 years to keep the bridge up, but he got the pin anyway.

iFOd4SYnhYqwj.gif

TO THE BOB. Bob Caudle is with TNT and Tatanka! Chris Chavis, actually. Bob Caudle. He's going to be people's champion.

The Sky Trooper vs Manny Fernandez

Manny is going to fuck this poor guy up. Manny kind of looks like Finlay's illegitimate Spanish brother. He does indeed knock this shit out of this guy. Manny wins with a super DDT, which is called as a superplex, but was clearly supposed to be a DDT.

ilR5WhVjfergo.gif

The Unknown Warrior vs War Eagle Chris Chavis

Tatanka looks like he's leagues ahead all of these guys. He beat Ken Shamrock (then known as Vince Torelli) to win the title. But I don't think there was an actual match. Looking at the MUSCULATURE and STRIATIONS of Tatanka as compared to the local guys on early 90s indies, I can see why Vince picked him up. YOU SOLD OUT, LEX LUGER. YOU SOLD OUT. YOU KNOW IT, I KNOW IT. YOU SOLD OUT, LEX. God, why doesn't this fucking guy have a singlet? Pale, fat, completely unmuscular guys don't look good in trunks that barely fit. It isn't a part of the gimmick like Buddy Rose, who could actually wrestle despite his appearance. This guy is just a fat and pale guy with woman thighs and hips. It must have fucking sucked to try to be an indie wrestling fan before 2002 or so. Tatanka wins with the End of the Trail. I believe this was a non-title match.

iwh4mLaFBuYoD.gif

ibgrklyWo3vAiN.gif

TO THE BOB.
He talks with The German Troopers and their manager, Frank B. Cruel. Behind them is The Wall, which is Mable. Frank is wearing a plum blazer with a pink shirt and different shade of purple tie, with rad sunglasses that have lightning bolts and a cord. He's clearly doing a rip off of Robert Fuller/Col. Parker/Tennessee Lee. Not even an homage, but a full on rip off, which is weird because Fuller was involved in this company.

Bill McLaughlin vs Vince Torelli

Ken Shamrock! He's got a tasteful greasy mullet. He actually looks like Paul Roma. Dude was super jacked even then. He does a rolling knee bar right off the bat. Bad looking cross arm breaker, which I'll blame on the other guy for not knowing how to take it. Kimura on a random ass indie show from Alabama/Arkansas in 1991. German suplex dumps this guy right on his dome. Perfect Plex. Powerbomb. God damn, dead lift powerbomb. Shamrock wins with a super belly to belly. Domination. I wonder why Vince had no interest in Shamrock in 1991. He was way more interesting than Tatanka, but I guess Shamrock really would have been out of place working jujitsu holds in black trunks in what was still a very cartoony world.

iJo7NOqETs9vI.gif

i1FhSYQt3vp9j.gif

Rick Savage vs Wahoo McDaniel

More fucking Wahoo. Dude was everywhere. I believe this is the 4th promotion I've seen him in this week. He wins with the same terrible diving chop from the AWA show. Bob got some words with him after the match. We're then shown clips of Manny Fernandez tearing up Wahoo's head dress. I'm pretty sure this was from an AWA show.

somedevil

I still don't know why WWE goes to Corpus Christi. Its a known crappy wrestling city. No one shows up and they don't react at all. Also, doesn't help they are a pro Cena crowd.

Also, during the Orton and Ziggler match they chanted you can't wrestle at Ziggler. Amazing.

Kevin Kelly is SO BAD and, yeah, Nigel's super dull. But Kelly...ugh. His fucking catchphrase is the worst - whenever anyone hits a high flying move he comes out with;

"SOARING AND SCORING!!!"

Still not as bad as Mike Hogewood on the old ROH on HDnet show;

"SLAP THE PORPOISE!!!"

What does that even MEAN? Corino should be commentator full time. And get Prazak back. He used to sound super bored towards the end of his ROH run, but I like drunk Prazak on AAW commentary these days.

SCORING AND SOARING!

hahahahahahha

Yeah, I like Prazak too. He makes me laugh.

Nah fake nerds are a real thing. They are easy to spot though usually they can only name Star Wars, Star Trek, Mario or Sonic as things they love. Well Call of Duty is probably also something we can add to this list these days.

Name dropping these things these days isn't nerdy but a sign of being aware of pop culture.

Ah. I see then.

Was that the show where Jody Fleisch did a springboard SSP to the floor and dislocated his jaw landing on some steps? Fun times.

Wow. Jody Fleisch. There is a name I haven't heard of in years.

strobogo

Banned
i'm happy Vince didn't go for Ken at the time, he got to go to Pancrase and the rest is history.

I guess, but dude was a beast with an interesting style and much MUSCULATURE and STRIATIONS. I don't know who he could have wrestled, though. Imagine young Ken Shamrock trying to do shoot style moves with Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, or Papa Shango.

I guess, but dude was a beast with an interesting style and much MUSCULATURE and STRIATIONS. I don't know who he could have wrestled, though. Imagine young Ken Shamrock trying to do shoot style moves with Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, or Papa Shango.

Perfect, Bret, Jake i guess. maybe DiBiase.

strobogo

Banned
Jake? You think Jake Roberts is going to be doing shoot holds and mat grappling? Bret, yes. Maybe Pat Tanaka. HBK could probably have done something fun. Perfect is debatable. But Jake Roberts and Ted Dibiase I can't see working with that style at all.

strobogo

Banned
Bret and Owen would be the two that jump out to me, and also Vader.

Vader wasn't in the WWF in 1991. Owen was still a job guy, but I think actually wasn't around in 1991. But then again, there weren't many guys to work with Shamrock when Vince did eventually bring him in.

Striker

Vader wasn't in the WWF in 1991. Owen was still a job guy, but I think actually wasn't around in 1991. But then again, there weren't many guys to work with Shamrock when Vince did eventually bring him in.
Ah, didn't see the date.

Thought Shamrock's career in the WWF initially did alright. Solid feud with Rock shoots out of my mind the most. Worked well with Bret and Shawn. Thought at one point he could've been WWF champ in late '97 but I'm gonna guess politics stopped that.

COD doesn't count as fake nerds. It's too popular and globally accepted at this point.

I'm pretty sure anyone who holds an unusual opinion about the series (like "the only decent games in the series were the WWII games") would be called a filthy hipster and a fraud.

It's an awful lot of vitrol to spew at a limp-wristed jab at Obama, but I can't really argue against it. Even after years of commentary undercutting the matches, parroting Vince and generally just being an earsore, that moment actually shocked me because of how boldfaced it was.

strobogo

Banned
Ah, didn't see the date.

Thought Shamrock's career in the WWF initially did alright. Solid feud with Rock shoots out of my mind the most. Worked well with Bret and Shawn. Thought at one point he could've been WWF champ in late '97 but I'm gonna guess politics stopped that.

He did have what was basically a shoot style match with WWF rules with Vader and it was brutal. He also had a really weird MMA based match with Taker in the middle of the Ministry angle. The devil who spends his time learning jijitsu holds.

Vader's match with Shamrock in WWF was great - Ken's kicking him too damn hard and Vader audibly tells him to stop working so stiff, but he doesn't let up, so Vader just fucking KO's him with a sick inside forearm. The one in FMW was OK, until Vader slams Ken too hard and he starts coughing up blood

Unrelated, but that Roman Reigns superman punch from Smackdown;

http://i.minus.com/imSTSwNhOZX3k.gif

DMczaf

Vader's match with Shamrock in WWF was great - Ken's kicking him too damn hard and Vader audibly tells him to stop working so stiff, but he doesn't let up, so Vader just fucking KO's him with a sick inside forearm. The one in FMW was OK, until Vader slams Ken too hard and he starts coughing up blood

Unrelated, but that Roman Reigns superman punch from Smackdown;

http://i.minus.com/imSTSwNhOZX3k.gif

Roman Reigns....he's so hot right now.

Makes big show's punch look even more like a big joke.

strobogo

Banned
I might count WWA as Australian since it was based in Australia and had an Australian promoter, but was otherwise an American promotion.

strobogo

Banned
Are there full 80s AJPW shows out there? Like major cards. People always talk about early-mid 90s AJPW, but I like 80s more. Give me that Jumbo and Tenryu all day.

Boootaaay find the Vader match with Rick Steiner where Steiner deadlifted Vader

This one?

ibsI4LmC0ri73n.gif

It's online here;

http://rutube.ru/video/1eafaaad287fb010386b28c2e716e098/

Are there full 80s AJPW shows out there? Like major cards. People always talk about early-mid 90s AJPW, but I like 80s more. Give me that Jumbo and Tenryu all day.

You can find full TV episodes, although the 80's ones aren't as common (you'd probably have to find a trader and buy a season set). Also, they used to cut a lot of the undercard stuff for TV. The only way you're going to see a complete show from the 80's is with handheld fancam copies and even then they're not always complete. I have one in my collection - it's an hour long from 1983 and not the greatest quality, but you get to see young Kawada & Misawa get their asses kicked, Kerry von Erich vs Mighty Inoue, Terry Funk vs Ron Bass and Baba vs Hansen. Cuts off before the Jumbo main event, annoyingly.

Your best bet if you want to watch a bunch of Jumbo & Tenryu awesomeness is to cherry pick random matches from Ditch's All Japan archive. They're all in chronological order there.

*edit, here's a playlist with some random AJPW TV episodes;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14qrOEGvm-s&list=PLZcNIhtpvL7riQn5crkoOYJRT91b1mJoM

*edit, edit - whoops, that's AJW TV.

DiBiase and Jake were solid enough on the mat work to make a Shamrock match watchable.

essentially every guy from an amateur or hooker background could work.

Taker worked, too.

ken-shamrock-o.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Rick Rude was known to be a great boxer. Think he used to be some kind of champion? He probably could have worked a match with Shamrock, but I don't think it would have been that great.

Vylash

Finished AC4. I liked it a lot more than 3, but I also skipped every cut scene, quick traveled as much as possible, and didn't do any of the collectibles. It got a little too meta for me with the modern day story. A little too cute for its own good in that respect. The bright and vibrant colors were a nice change from the last 2 games. Still, the engine needs an over haul.

I plan on getting that next year when I get my PS4

Rick Rude was known to be a great boxer. Think he used to be some kind of champion? He probably could have worked a match with Shamrock, but I don't think it would have been that great.

depends on who trained him and how he trained.

call me crazy, but Hogan vs Shamrock could work (no in the USA, though). wasn't he trained by Hiro Matsuda? pretty sure he learned how to defend an armbar or a toehold during that time.

It’s pretty damning of the company that they feel the need to incorporate a man’s death into a marquee WrestleMania match, but here’s the build for Undertaker and CM Punk. William Moody’s real-life son Michael, who okayed using his father in the angle, was disgusted by the presentation.
Wasn't he actually just, like, surprised by how far they went? "Disgusted" is reaching IIRC

Top Bottom