• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| This title has been held by all the greats...and Triple H

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
Fuck Surge.

It's all about the Beverage. The Beverage of Beverages.

image_pepsiblue1.jpg

2550%20-%20Raw%20batista%20suit%20thumbs_down%20wwe.png

That crap was disgusting. Prefer drinking Jolt cola

Hear ye, hear ye...

iRTQO00q06xd.gif

There's only 1 week until Wrestle Kingdom. Which of you fuckers are up for watching the Japanese non-union equivalent of WrestleMania? Stan Hansen's going to be there. Harley Race is going to be there. Nakuraba (Sakugata?) wrestle a pair of Gracies. Okada defends his title against that shit Naito. Nakamura vs Tanahashi in the Tokyo Dome main event one last time. Suzuki & Shelton vs Yano and THE GREAT MUTA! Prince Devitt vs Kota Ibushi. And much, much more, all for just $35; www.ustream.tv/njpwjp

strobogo

Banned
Who the fuck is Harley Race?

This guy right here:

ibtmsqar34WYVJ.gif

I was trying to do a USWA show from 1993, but after a half hour of promos from Bert Prentice (most well known for allegedly making guys like Buff and many of the young guys in the early days of TNA blow him/let him blow them in order to get bookings), the Harris Brothers show up and I'm out. Instead, I'm going to chronicle Vince McMahon in the USWA.

RBH

Hear ye, hear ye...

iRTQO00q06xd.gif

There's only 1 week until Wrestle Kingdom. Which of you fuckers are up for watching the Japanese non-union equivalent of WrestleMania? Stan Hansen's going to be there. Harley Race is going to be there. Nakuraba (Sakugata?) wrestle a pair of Gracies. Okada defends his title against that shit Naito. Nakamura vs Tanahashi in the Tokyo Dome main event one last time. Suzuki & Shelton vs Yano and THE GREAT MUTA! Prince Devitt vs Kota Ibushi. And much, much more, all for just $35; www.ustream.tv/njpwjp

Sorry, I'd much rather spend my hard-earned money on a real wrestling promotion, a promotion that doesn't insult your intelligence, a promotion that places a premium on in-ring action, a promotion that will never disappoint its fans.

tna_logo.jpg

:)

But seriously, I'm looking forward to Wrestle Kingdom.

Updated the Wrestle Kingdom OP;

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737329

There's a bunch of pre-show stuff happening on Friday for FREE, which should be worth a watch.

RBH said:
Sorry, I'd much rather spend my hard-earned money on a real wrestling promotion, a promotion that doesn't insult your intelligence, a promotion that places a premium on in-ring action, a promotion that will never disappoint its fans.

:|

RBH said:
But seriously, I'm looking forward to Wrestle Kingdom.

:)

strobogo

Banned
legitshook.com

McMemphis Playlist

McMemphis: The Vince McMahon in Memphis Saga Part 1 of 3

Chapter 1:

We're shown clips of Bret/Owen Hart vs Jeff Jarrett and Jerry Lawler. The WWF had a working agreement with the USWA at the time. King was a heel in the WWF, but a face in Memphis. Jarrett had yet to go to the WWF, but I'm sure this angle was a big reason for him getting signed. Bret and Owen were faces in the WWF, but heels in USWA. The Hart/King feud carried over and played out much in the same manner as the Harts vs USA angle would a few years later.

iodU5n9VbbEEX.gif

Chapter 2:

King talks about his upcoming stretcher match with Paul Neighbors. King guarantees that Neighbors will leave in an ambulance or King will personally refund everyone's money. He starts talking about being in the WWF and how many people think that the USWA and its fans are full of rednecks. This includes Vince McMahon, who King openly says runs the WWF. Paul Neighbors comes out. He can't figure how to center himself on camera, but he announces that VINCE MCMAHON will be in his corner in the the stretcher match. Fucking LOL, Paul wasn't supposed to actually say Vince would be in his corner. The announcer actually said, "You spoiled the announcement!".

Chapter 3:

We're shown a special edition of the King's Court from a WWF show. It was shot in Boston. Vince is the guest. It starts out with them doing their WWF roles. Vince looks fucking swoll. King talks about how he's been wrestling all over the world for years, beating all the top stars to earn the right to be called King. Bret Hart won one tournament and doesn't deserve the title. A few minutes in, things switch. King slips into his face Memphis role and Vince starts doing a subtle heel role. Very condescending. Very reminiscent of early Mr. McMahon before he got so over the top. They're promoting the USWA match on this WWF show. Vince says he'll be there so he can be one of the people to get a refund and so he can read in the local papers the next day how the King has gone bankrupt. By the end of the segment, they revert back to their WWF roles. It was weird and must have been super weird for the fans at the taping. I don't believe this actually aired on WWF TV and was instead filmed specifically for this angle for USWA television.

Chapter 4:

King promotes Vince coming to the Mid South Coliseum, but also takes time to plug some softball games.

Chapter 5:

A cage match between Bret and Lawler is promoted. We're shown clips of the last time Bret was in Memphis, which was the tag match with Owen against King and Jarrett. The local boys lost due to the shadiness of referee Paul Neighbors. He just happened to miss Bert Prentice giving Bret an international object, which was then used to win the match. After the match, Bret cut a heel promo, shitting on King and Memphis. This is probably at the height of his super face run in the WWF. He called Owen the Prince of Darkness.

Chapter 6:

We're shown highlights of the stretcher match. Vince was there and went full heel on the crowd. He doesn't like Lawler or anyone who likes Lawler. Vince also had Pat Patterson there as a body guard. As King was chasing Neighbors, Vince tripped him. King heads towards Vince, but Patterson bows up. King throws Pat into the ring post and pulls the strap down in front of Vince. Even with the poor quality, I can tell that Vince had his angry face on. Vince stands up as King begs for a punch. The jacket is off! Patterson grabs King and Vince decks him! Holy shit! This is 1993. Not only had Vince never been heel, but he had also never been physically involved in anything on TV. So in 1993, only in Memphis, Vince is openly acknowledged as the owner of the WWF, is a heel, and has become physically involved in a match. King would win the match and drop a fire ball on Neighbors' face as he was being stretchered out.

iJqIzBmY3bq9Q.gif

ibl3zMr3SQ4CxT.gif

ibxFHk2WyAhXGy.gif

Chapter 7:

Vince McMahon sends in a heel promo about the rudeness of the Memphis people. He did nothing wrong. He had never been insulted like that in his life. "You asked for it, and you got it." Vince is almost giddy about what Bret is going to do King in the cage match. Vince wants King to again offer refunds if he can't defeat Bret Hart. This was very much in the vein of Bret Screwed Bret. But in 1993.

Chapter 8:

King was wearing a King of the Ring shirt and said that tournament was meaningless without him in it. King brings up that people have asked him why he acts differently on WWF television and his reason was because Vince is a jerk, as seen when Vince came to town. He invites Vince back. He also agrees to offer refunds if he can't defeat Bret. They'll have the cage match on Saturday and then will wrestle again the next night at Summerslam.

Chapter 9:

We're shown highlights of the cage match. King won and Bret basically left the angle as Vince would begin sending other sports entertainers to take out King. Owen Hart tried to get involved. Jeff Jarrett prevented it. Giant Gonzalez would get into the cage. His interference would back fire as he accidentally hit Bret, which allowed King to score a pin fall. The attack on King continued after the match. Bret applied the Sharpshooter and Gonzalez would pull back on Bret for added leverage. Owen would give Jeff a piledriver.

iUpSYDbATB95c.gif

Chapter 10:

Bert Prentice and Giant Gonzalez gave a live in studio promo. EVERYONE hates Jerry Lawler, according to Bert. Giant then had a squash match. After the match, crooked and recently fired referee Pal Neighbors buys an interest in Bert's wrestlers. This was because Bert would be leaving the territory soon. Not super sure why the next match, a squash with the Dogcatchers, was included, but whatever.

If any interested WrassleGAF'ers can help me out with bumping the Wrestle Kingdom topic over the next week, that'd be most appreciated.

Ultratech said:
Get ready for some premium pointing action.

If only Sin Cara Novedoso were still with us. NO ONE could point like he could.

strobogo

Banned
legitshook.com

McMemphis Playlist

McMemphis: The Vince McMahon in Memphis Saga Part 2 of 3

Chapter 11:

King does an interview about his upcoming match with Giant Gonzalez. Vince sent in a promo of his own. He can't believe he's being accused of sending Giant Gonzalez after King. When he said King was in for a big surprise, he had no idea Gonzalez would be there. Just a coincidence. But maybe people are figuring out that King isn't what he says he is. He quotes Jim Neighbors and says King now has a big problem. He also had one of the creepiest goofy face to serial killer changes I've ever seen in pro wrestling. This Vince is MONEY. King was not impressed. People outside of Memphis might view him differently, but the people of Memphis know who the real king is. He told Vince that he could take the WWF and his giant and SHOVE IT, brothers.

ifrNfq04yreUP.gif

Chapter 12:

King was about to have a squash match when we are shown clips of King's next WWF opponent: The undefeated Tatanka! Actually, it's a whole Tatanka squash match from Superstars. King would then win his squash match. After the match, Paul Neighbors had some of his men attack. King fought them off.

Chapter 13:

Vince does a promo for Tatanka vs Lawler. Going into this match, Tatanka is still undefeated, but King is champion. Jerry Lawler is the king of nothing. The Unified title? Big deal. King of the cheaters, maybe. King threw a fire ball at Giant Gonzalez. "If you want fire, you've got it." Tatanka is going to show King what fire is all about. "The King has been dethroned. The King has been scalped." Vince is such a creepy, smug asshole.

ibpoSe9E6ec3ox.gif

Chapter 14:

King responds to Vince's promo. King doesn't like anyone in the WWF and only took the position to prove that USWA wrestlers are just as good or better than anyone the WWF has. He talks about doing voice over work. During the voice over work, Vince has security and police with him to make sure King can't get to him. Vince is invited to show up for the match with Tatanka. The Indians never won when he played Cowboys and Indians.

Chapter 15:

As it turns out, Tatanka won the USWA Unified Championship. Vince sent in a promo wearing the belt. This is so awesome. I might like this version of heel Vince better than Mr. McMahon. He's so smug. Vince will only allow King one title shot at Tatanka. He ends the promo mentioning Custer's last stand and doing an evil laugh.

ibb7cHUG7yMni1.gif

ibkxF7gv5FvTso.gif

Chapter 16:

We're shown clips of the Tatanka/King match. Tatanka, obviously, was working heel despite being face on WWF TV. Neighbors distracted the ref, allowing Tatanka to piledrive King for the win.

Chapter 17:

Tatanka gave a live in studio promo. "Jerry King. Jerry The Lawler King." Well, Tatanka was never known for his great promos. He heeled all over Memphis and small hick towns. King came out. He tricked Tatanka into putting up all the belts (which were all held by heels, although I'm not sure if they were all held by WWF guys) in a Survivor Series style match. Tatanka played the role of the over confident, kind of stupid meat head. King played it up as the USWA guys being local yokles and Tatanka shouldn't be afraid to face a team of Lawler's Losers. Tommy Rich came out. He had recently defeated Jarrett to win the USWA Championship. He agreed to the match.

Chapter 18: The faces promote the upcoming Survivor Series style match.

Chapter 19: Tatanka squashes Freezer Thompson.

Chapter 20: The heels hype the Survivor Series match.

strobogo

Banned
legitshook.com

McMemphis Playlist

McMemphis: The Vince McMahon in Memphis Saga Part 3 of 3

Chapter 21:

The next challenge for King is in two weeks. Vince's next wrestler to come to town is Randy Savage. Savage was very well known in the Memphis area as he got his start in the ICW, which was an outlaw promotion run by his father that wasn't a part of the NWA or AWA, but ran shows in their territories. They would be direct competition to the CWA. When they folded, Lawler/Jarrett bought the assets of the company and Savage would have a major feud with King. In fact, Savage was signed by Vince almost directly after that feud. We're shown a Randy Savage highlight package.

Chapter 22:

We were supposed to see another promo from Vince, but the director said the tape didn't make it, so King used this opportunity to cut a promo. King says the real reason the tape didn't show up was because Vince was afraid to send another promo now that King won the title back from Tatanka. King threatens to burn both Vince and King.

Chapter 23:

King promotes some shows and we get to see how Tatanka lost the title.

Chapter 24:

Randy Savage sends in a promo. Macho touches on their long history. "I'm gonna repeat myself. No I'm not. I never repeat myself. DID YA GET IT?!?!" Tatanka is a great wrestler, no doubt, but he's not 1/100000000th the wrestler Randy Savage is. He doesn't care about belts or money or letters from fans, he wants the belt just because he knows it makes King tick. "YOU HAVE NO CHANCE IN HELL!" Could it be just a coincidence that Vince would use that as his catch phrase a few years later?

Chapter 25:

Vince sends in another dick head promo. You can't believe in the Tooth Fairy or politicians, just like you can't believe in Jerry Lawler. But you can believe that the sun will rise tomorrow. You can believe the earth is round. And you can believe in Randy Savage. There are only 3 guarantees in life: Death, Taxes, and Randy Savage. *Cue crazy Vince face*. King then responds to the promo. We're then shown a montage of King throwing fire.

is3ZpEqS4vRsi.gif

i3fbQKbiTiFgd.gif

Chapter 26:

Highlights of Savage/King were shown. Savage ate a fireball. I think. It looked like it, but Savage quickly recovered and hit King with a chain wrapped around his fist to win the title. Jeff Jarrett came out and revealed the chain, leading to the decision being reversed. Savage would get double teamed and ran off.

ibpcOmUrvAF8GS.gif

Chapter 27:

Savage sends in a promo saying that Vince would be in his corner for the rematch against King. After Savage wins the title, he's going to declare himself the King of the Hicks! UH HUH, YEAAAAHH! LITIGATION?!? YOU DON'T LIKE LITIGATION NOW DO YA BOY?!?! Savage putting on a Southern accent but still in the Macho Man voice is the weirdest thing.

Chapter 28:

Downtown Bruno/Harvey Whippleman is announced as King's second in the match. Vince and...Harvey? King really hates NYC. Bruno is picked as an insult to Vince, showing how little King is worried about Vince. Bruno thinks the further North you go, the dumber you get. And Vince is the biggest Yankee there is. How fucking bizarre. Harvey Whippleman cutting a long promo on Vince McMahon.

Chapter 29:

VInce's last promo hyping his return to Memphis. Shame on you, Jeff Jarrett. Shame on you, Jerry Lawler. After threats of litigation, Eddie Marlin stripped King of the title. Vince will be there to keep an eye on King's shenanigans. After Savage wins the title, everyone will see things the way Vince does, in Machovision. This would end up being the last promo from Vince as King had some legal issues a few weeks later that ended up having King leave the WWF until they were sorted out. Eddie Marlin takes possession of the belt from King.

ihUQe2YiZ9ocC.gif

Chapter 30:

Eddie says that he didn't want to strip King of the belt, but he had to. He says that the WWF is not superior to the USWA. The result of the Savage/King rematch was Vince costing King the match after much physical involvement. But due to King's legal issues, the angle basically died off. Vince didn't return, nor did he send in any more promos. Randy Savage never returned to defend the title. Some mid card WWF guys would come in, but not as part of the angle. Because of the legal issues, the angle really had no blow off and ended up with Vince winning and proving the WWF was indeed superior to the USWA.

It's really fascinating stuff. There are a lot of USWA shows online, but none from during the McMahon feud. I'd love to see the big Monday shows through out Memphis history. But this is really the genesis of the Mr. McMahon character. In 1993, Vince was still a goofy announcer. In Memphis, he was the owner of the WWF, doing heel promos had Pat Patterson as his stooge, and was getting physically involved in matches. It's really interesting to watch. He wasn't as over the top crazy, but he was very similar to the early days of Mr. McMahon, in between Montreal and WM14 Mr. McMahon. Very, gloriously smug. King doing great face promos. All the WWF guys who were faces on WWF TV being heels on Memphis TV. I don't think anything like that could be done today, but I think Vince really has a deep respect for territory wrestling, even though he killed them. It's a shame that Lawler's legal issues popped up, because I have no doubt that angle was going to end with Vince either taking a piledriver or getting a fire ball to the face.

I'm just catching up on the thread, but when Stro said he'd do the birth of the Mr. McMahon character in USWA, I legit marked out.

2 out of 3 parts into it, better than I expected. Brought the memories back. Salute.

strobogo

Banned
It's so good, but I've tried to watch a few USWA shows from 1993 and they were awful. The McMahon angle seems amazing, though. I'd love to see it played out in full and see the big Monday night shows. I need to see the Savage/King rematch with Vince getting heavily involved. I don't think those shows were ever shown on TV, though. They were recorded and highlights were played on TV, but never full matches or shows as far as I know.

Bob Backlund vs Riki Choshu - (NJPW 08/24/1984)

Oh, man, this is good. This is REAL GOOD. Yeah, it's got a typical Backlund screwy finish where he has to make it look like he won, even if he didn't, but ignore that shit for a minute. This is a solid 15+ minutes of KICK ASS technical wrestling. I love the Backlund lift and it's super impressive when he hits it on a guy the size of Choshu, but most of this one's spent on the mat. Just a top-notch grappling match between two goddamn masters of their trade - do yourself a favour and check it out.

iOozJYVnCRbfF.gif

Kane should really change his attire if he's going to wrestle under this authority gimmick, like a torn sleeveless suit or something.
I wonder if he'll actually enter the rumble this year so I can be irked by him being eliminated before actually doing anything, gotta keep him away from that HBK record.

strobogo

Banned
Backlund has really become one of my favorites over the past few years now that his matches have been out on a lot of DVDs. He has this bad rap for being really boring and uncharismatic, and that's fucking stupid. Bob Backlund was a terrible talker (at least until Mr. Backlund), but he had physical charisma like very few people. He was excellent on the mat and I love all the wacky sounds he made. And the Backlund Lift was so boss. He could do it to guys the size of Hulk Hogan.

Same here, I've really grown to love his work, whereas before I never gave him much of a chance because all I knew him as was crazy Mr. Backlund and he had that "boring" reputation. I'm pretty certain that started out because of his lack of promo skills, but in recent decades seems to have somehow morphed into him being boring in the ring, which really couldn't be further from the case. Some people just don't know how to appreciate technical wrestling, it seems. Hell, I read this sentence earlier today "Fujinami matches are boring, he used way to may rest holds". Rest holds? Tatsumi Fujinami, the goddamn workhorse of 70's & 80's New Japan? ...the fuck? Some people, smh.

Ithil

Same here, I've really grown to love his work, whereas before I never gave him much of a chance because all I knew him as was crazy Mr. Backlund and he had that "boring" reputation. I'm pretty certain that started out because of his lack of promo skills, but in recent decades seems to have somehow morphed into him being boring in the ring, which really couldn't be further from the case. Some people just don't know how to appreciate technical wrestling, it seems. Hell, I read this sentence earlier today "Fujinami matches are boring, he used way to may rest holds". Rest holds? Tatsumi Fujinami, the goddamn workhorse of 70's & 80's New Japan? ...the fuck? Some people, smh.
People who don't actually know what they're talking about, but think that they do, believe "resthold" means "non-finisher submissions or holds of any kind".

Yeah, it seems to have gone that way - I think part of the problem is with the wrestlers themselves, though. Obviously the style of wrestling has moved on a lot since the 80's, but even so, few seem to bother putting in the work to make their holds look as painful as possible. Side headlocks, for instance, are pretty boring, but a guy like Dick Murdoch can wrench it in and make it LOOK super painful, make it look like a real struggle for the other guy to free himself, and there are very few wrestlers these days who take the time to do that.

Jamie OD

This guy right here:

ibtmsqar34WYVJ.gif

I was trying to do a USWA show from 1993, but after a half hour of promos from Bert Prentice (most well known for allegedly making guys like Buff and many of the young guys in the early days of TNA blow him/let him blow them in order to get bookings), the Harris Brothers show up and I'm out. Instead, I'm going to chronicle Vince McMahon in the USWA.

Dusty spent a little too long in the tanning booth, if you will.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Level 12? You're weak son.

Aw yeah check out my mad skills.

I should probably check out Diablo 3 again. Guess I'll wait for the PS4 version with the expansion pack at some point late this year. Probably wouldn't play it as much you did. Because thats a lot of time and shit. Also fuck hardcore mode.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm only level 12 because I hardly ever trophy hunt, but I love Diablo so I just put the game on and grind dungeons as I watch some TV or movies on my other screen.

I have like 5 platinums now, this one, Uncharted Golden Abyss, Uncharted 3 and The Walking Dead twice (PS3 and Vita) and that's it. heh. Proud of this one though, less than 1% rarity, yay.

jesus christ, i don't think i even got more than 20 or 25% achievements in any game i played.

Yeah, same here - I buy a lot of games, but I only play them until I'm bored of them. As a result, I have only one platinum; for Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires :)

Also, thanks for the UWFi, I don't recall the match by name, so it's going on my to watch list.

Top Bottom