• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| This title has been held by all the greats...and Triple H

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

rubius01

Absolutely. It's short, only an hour episode a week, but it's a straightforward, old school wrestling show (with WWE production values in an indie sized arena), with angles, gimmicks, characters, protected championships and logical booking, all with an emphasis on matches

Is NXT still HHH's little fiefdom? And if so why is it so good?

For all the shit Triple H gets for being a ego maniac who abuses his creative control like its late 90's WCW he is actually pretty decent at most of the backstage stuff.

Dude is good at spotting talent and doesnt have the same love of fart jokes as vince.

Ithil

Absolutely. It's short, only an hour episode a week, but it's a straightforward, old school wrestling show (with WWE production values in an indie sized arena), with angles, gimmicks, characters, protected championships and logical booking, all with an emphasis on matches

Basically, yeah. He has the final say there, and he put Dusty Rhodes in charge of booking without all the crazy micromanaging Vince does on the main show.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Speaking of NXT. Natalya vs Paige, thoughts? I know Stro has been looking forward to it oh so much.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/567432

That opening segment with Cesaro and Leo Kruger worked so much better for me than any backstage promo we've gotten from Raw or Smackdown this past year. It was fully in character, got my interest in my match, could have lead to something (if we didn't already know what's happening with Kruger), and wasn't over produced and directed.

Alucard

Banned
Watching this right now:
XDiv1.jpg

Man, TNA's had some crazy good matches in its history. AJ Styles vs. Petey Williams was superb! Different feeling to this TNA product compared to today's, especially with the six-sided ring still in place. The main difference for me seems to be the focus on youth and high energy wrestling. Of course, it is the X Division, so that's the MO. Was the rest of TNA this good during the six-sided ring era?

Ithil

So they announced some of the Slammy award nominees on Main Event:
Diva of the Year:

AJ Lee
Bellas
Funkadactyls
Kaitlyn
Natalya
Eva Marie

Double Cross of the Year:

Triple H pedigrees Bryan
HBK superkicks Bryan
Mark Henry's retirement
Paul Heyman costs Punk the MITB contract

Superstar of the Year:

John Cena
Randy Orton
CM Punk
Daniel Bryan
Brock Lesnar

Eva Marie, good god.

UberTag

For all the shit Triple H gets for being a ego maniac who abuses his creative control like its late 90's WCW he is actually pretty decent at most of the backstage stuff.

Dude is good at spotting talent and doesnt have the same love of fart jokes as vince.
I'm not a fan of Triple H's character and could care less if I ever see him on WWE programming again.
But if NXT is an example of the type of product we'll see without Vince McMahon-interference then you can call me a Triple H backer.

So they announced some of the Slammy award nominees on Main Event:

Superstar of the Year:
John Cena
Randy Orton
CM Punk
Daniel Bryan
Brock Lesnar
That up-and-comer John Cena gets my vote.
After all, he had a much better 2013 than he did 2012 and he won then so one can only assume he's due to win here.

Ithil

I have no way of knowing what a Triple H run WWE would be like, really, because NXT is smaller, easily controlled, etc. When he's in charge of the company, suddenly there's a lot more shit flying at him from all directions.
I just hope whatever philosophy he's backing with NXT is the one he keeps for WWE as a whole.

I bet the first thing he does is fire that bucky beaver fuck Kevin Dunn. I hear HHH and Stephanie both can't stand him (like everyone else in the world except Vince).

Ithil

After watching an episode of NXT I can safely say that Axel and Rollins need to never cut promos again

What episode did you watch, because they've not been on NXT for a long while now? Seth hasn't been a regular on NXT for over a year, before he started with the Shield.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's weird to look at companies like ROH and TNA back in the 2004-2010ish bracket compared to now. It was really the golden age of 'indie wrestling.' WWE's mostly stayed the same, for better or worse.

Vylash

What episode did you watch, because they've not been on NXT for a long while now? Seth hasn't been a regular on NXT for over a year, before he started with the Shield.

October 3rd of last year, figured I'd start as early as Hulu had the episodes

Raw64life

Mark Henry retirement swerve should be slam dunk winner. DB should get superstar of the year but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Super Cena.

Ithil

October 3rd of last year, figured I'd start as early as Hulu had the episodes

Oh right, yeah, Seth was terrible at talking back then. He's never going to be a natural, but being in the Shield for a year has helped him a lot.
This new NXT started in July 2012, but Hulu doesn't have the first few months for some reason.

Alucard

Banned
It's weird to look at companies like ROH and TNA back in the 2004-2010ish bracket compared to now. It was really the golden age of 'indie wrestling.' WWE's mostly stayed the same, for better or worse.

Seriously. I'm watching this INCREDIBLE 30-minute iron man match between Christopher Daniels and AJ Styles right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EO7OKPzGeo

It's absolutely incomprehensible how much passion, athleticism, and disregard for their bodies these guys have. I also much prefer the ramp and the "behind the back archway cam" during entrances. If TNA had this level of awesome wrestling today, they'd probably be further along in their quest to catch up with WWE. They need to find that next crop of stars which is capable of the same type of intensity.

Alucard

Banned
04-07 was TNA's golden age , the in ring product was phenominal

I really recommend the AJ Styles vs Abyss match. It's the match that got me into TNA, and it's probably one of my favorite TNA matches despite not being a huge fan of either guy.

I had jumped off the pro wrestling train at that time, so this is actually my first real exposure to anything TNA that happened before Destination X 2012.

I'll check out that Styles/Abyss match later. I have to say, the more I see of AJ's 2004/2005 matches, the more I'm flabbergasted that he was never snatched up by the WWE. He was an athletic freak during this part of his career!

Vylash

Watching this right now:
XDiv1.jpg

Man, TNA's had some crazy good matches in its history. AJ Styles vs. Petey Williams was superb! Different feeling to this TNA product compared to today's, especially with the six-sided ring still in place. The main difference for me seems to be the focus on youth and high energy wrestling. Of course, it is the X Division, so that's the MO. Was the rest of TNA this good during the six-sided ring era?
Absolutely, there was a very noticeable decline once Hogan and Bischoff came in and it's never been the same since, I was a long time fan since back when they were on Fox Sports but even I can't sit through Impact anymore

Oh hey, back when Joe didn't look like a disgusting slob

Alucard

Banned
Absolutely, there was a very noticeable decline once Hogan and Bischoff came in and it's never been the same since, I was a long time fan since back when they were on Fox Sports but even I can't sit through Impact anymore

I think it's been getting better lately, to be honest. Since Bound for Glory, Impact has been good-to-great...minus the Thanksgiving episode, which still had a highly entertaining Aces and Eights burial.

gurudyne

I bet the first thing he does is fire that bucky beaver fuck Kevin Dunn. I hear HHH and Stephanie both can't stand him (like everyone else in the world except Vince).

I don't know most of the backstage faces--what's the story with this guy? All I know is he's the one in charge of TV production.

Ithil

I don't know most of the backstage faces--what's the story with this guy? All I know is he's the one in charge of TV production.

Ask Jim Cornette. I think Cornette hates Dunn more than its possible to hate a guy.
The story with Dunn, is that his dad, in the 80s, was carrying a big load of TV tapings for WWF (I think like six weeks of shows) in his car transporting them, and his car caught fire for whatever reason. At great risk to his life, he got the tapes out of the car, had they burned it would have been a huge blow to the WWF's TV, which was feldging in those days.
Thus, Vince guaranteed his son (Kevin Dunn) a job for life. Dunn has been heading up TV production since the 90s at least.

The problem, is that Dunn has questionable opinions when it comes to producing wrestling, and towards wrestling in general. Jim Cornette nearly punched his lights out during a TV creative meeting in around 1997, which you can hear about on one of Cornette's shoots, a pretty funny story ("You know, Jim, I find you tiresome"). It seems like he somewhat looks down on wrestling in general and would rather be in the entertainment business. He seems to be the only one that shares Vince's warped sense of humour, also. A lot of the stupid stuff they do on TV (like showing the crowd during backstage segments) is his sort of thing, too. Exactly how competent he actually is as a TV producer is questionable, job for life aside.

Also, the most notable thing bout Dunn is his bucky beaver front teeth (Cornette's words, to Dunn's face), which he has for some reason never gotten fixed. He's actually kind of a ghost otherwise, he almost never appears on camera, only on the other side of it.

*Superstar of the Year, presented by Shawn Michaels.
*Extreme Moment of the Year
*Insult of the Year
*Double-Cross of the Year
*This is Awesome! Moment of the Year
*"Total Diva" of the Year, presented by Eve Torres.
*LOL! Moment of the Year
*Match of the Year, presented by Bret Hart,
*Breakout Star of the Year
*Trending Now (Hashtag) of the Year.
*Beard of the Year.
*Fan Participation of the Year.

Fan participation will probably go to some goddamn app vote instead of Raw after Wrestlemania.

Edit: Extreme moment? Cena AAing Ryback through the ambulance of course! Or maybe his dive into the lumberjacks!

Insult of the year: WWE Battleground

Beard of the year: EDIT: Eh, removed because unfunny.

Seriously. I'm watching this INCREDIBLE 30-minute iron man match between Christopher Daniels and AJ Styles right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EO7OKPzGeo

It's absolutely incomprehensible how much passion, athleticism, and disregard for their bodies these guys have. I also much prefer the ramp and the "behind the back archway cam" during entrances. If TNA had this level of awesome wrestling today, they'd probably be further along in their quest to catch up with WWE. They need to find that next crop of stars which is capable of the same type of intensity.

The problem is we're in the post-concussion era. There's going to be far less 14 year olds in five or six years willing to headbutt himself into a ring apron 10 times like Nigel did to get himself over.

Also, TNA had that 'great' level of wrestling between 2004 and 2007 and were in the same spot they were the same period of time. The truth is, most wrestling fans don't watch wrestling for 30-minute classes. They watch it for the characters and storylines. There's a reason why ratings tend to drop during long non-main event matches and the biggest rating segments in history are almost all non-wrestling segments.

Vylash

*Superstar of the Year, presented by Shawn Michaels.
*Extreme Moment of the Year
*Insult of the Year
*Double-Cross of the Year
*This is Awesome! Moment of the Year
*"Total Diva" of the Year, presented by Eve Torres.
*LOL! Moment of the Year
*Match of the Year, presented by Bret Hart,
*Breakout Star of the Year
*Trending Now (Hashtag) of the Year.
*Beard of the Year.
*Fan Participation of the Year.

please let him get massive heat

So if they ever actually do combine both the belts, what do you think it's actually gonna look like? I'm only assuming they're just gonna fill out the black parts of the face plate into gold. God I can't even wrap that image around my head.

It's gonna be the spinner belt.

Anth0ny

Double Cross of the Year:

Triple H pedigrees Bryan
HBK superkicks Bryan
Mark Henry's retirement
Paul Heyman costs Punk the MITB contract

Superstar of the Year:

John Cena
Randy Orton
CM Punk
Daniel Bryan
Brock Lesnar

no cesaro? fuck this shit

also henry's retirement better win best double cross. that shit was classic.

Kaladin

So if they ever actually do combine both the belts, what do you think it's actually gonna look like? I'm only assuming they're just gonna fill out the black parts of the face plate into gold. God I can't even wrap that image around my head.

It's gonna be the spinner belt.

We already know the answer to that....

20131204_EP_LARGE_HHH_R.jpg

Edgeward

Natty and Paige was great. Finish was lackluster but minor complaint. Natalia has to stop that discus lariat. It looks slow and completely terrible. And Luke Harper does it so much better

Big fucking complaint about this week's NXT: Everyone acting like Sami Zayn randomly showed up during Leo Kruger's match like they had no idea there was footage of Kruger attacking Zayn after his match last week. Fucking amateur.

strobogo

Banned
I wonder if the HHH ring will be the new championship.

*Superstar of the Year, presented by Shawn Michaels.: Triple H
*Extreme Moment of the Year: Triple H pedigrees Brock Lesnar on ring steps
*Insult of the Year: B+ Player
*Double-Cross of the Year: Triple H pedigrees Daniel Bryan
*This is Awesome! Moment of the Year: Triple H pedigrees Daniel Bryan
*"Total Diva" of the Year, presented by Eve Torres.: Stephanie McMahon
*LOL! Moment of the Year: Triple H's buried promo
*Match of the Year, presented by Bret Hart.: Triple H vs Brock Lesnar WM 29
*Breakout Star of the Year: Triple H
*Trending Now (Hashtag) of the Year: #coo4lyfe
*Beard of the Year: Triple H
*Fan Participation of the Year.: Triple H leading YES chants after Summerslam

Son Of D

Hi everyone, I'm new to WrassleGaf (well, the Gaf in general). I haven't really watched much wrestling recently, WWE hasn't been that great. I do need to start watching Japanese wrestling sometime, I've heard a lot of good about it. Same for NXT.

Top Bottom