• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| This title has been held by all the greats...and Triple H

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So if we choose, can we post our nominations or do you want us to just wait?

Posting the nominations is just fine, spread the love. I haven't even done mine yet!

Non-WWE MOTY is such a tough call.

WK8 Nakamura vs Sakuraba scratches the same itch Ishii vs Shibata scratched. Both phenomenal. But were they the best? Did Tanahashi/Okada at whatever event top that? God knows he's incredible. Both of them.

I shoulda picked this as GIF of the year;

ibrc6qLkXOrLhr.gif

IT'S BO TIME!

For me it was between King of Pro-Wrestling and Invasion Attack for best show, but when I saw the G1 counted as one event, I had to vote for that. So much quality wrestling. I'm almost certain that August 2013 was one of the best in-ring months ever in the world of wrestling.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
i think i picked Sakuraba vs Nakamura for MOTY. King of Pro-Wrestling as the best event.

Sakuraba's had a middling year, the injury he took really took the wind out of his sails. Nakamura sprinkled magic into that match. But like I said, it scratches the SAME itch that Ishii vs Shibata scratched, and between the two, god, I can't decide. Not easily. I GUESS THAT MEANS I SHOULD WATCH THEM AGAIN! I love excuses like that.

Still hype off of watching Taker vs Batista from Mania 24. That's so fucking good! SO GOOD.

EDIT: G1 might be the best PPV of the year for me. Unreal high bar of quality. I mentioned this before, but the G1 by all rights should have burned me out on NJPW but all it did was make me hungrier for more. That's incredible.

DMczaf

As if we didn't already know this

- While CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar isn't nominated for the Match of the Year Slammy Award, a lot of people within WWE believe it was the company's best match of the year. The match wasn't nominated because Punk can't have a better match with Lesnar than Triple H did and Punk vs. The Undertaker had to be listed.

Credit: F4WOnline

tumblr_mxawva7daB1rqfeu1o1_500.jpg

i'm a sucker for shoot guys in a strong-style environment.

i also picked Shibata as the best wrassler. hopefully he gets a main event push in the coming years.

I couldn't decide which was technically the best match this year so instead I went with the Suicide Six-Way from Next Generation Wrestling as it was the match I had the most fun watching in person.

I was struggling to think of an actual angle I gave a damn about this year - New Japan's different, as its not so story-based, but for the rest of the wrestling world? I couldn't think of a damn thing, so I had to waste my vote on something no one else is going to vote for; Jimmy Havoc turning has back on Progress is my angle of the year and nothing else even comes close.

Worst Angle was super easy, though. I hope WrassleGAF is an agreement with me on that one.

Rhodes vs McMahons was a top tier angle.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You should watch Mark Hunt vs. Bigfoot Silva from last week's UFC. A heavyweight shoot fight that went exactly like this, except one of them has acromegaly like Andre the Giant. An unmissable spectacle.

It was one of the most entertaining fights I've seen all year. Unbelievable. Lots of legit budo.

Realised I had no GRADO gifs. This situation needs rectifying;

ibqAFsMDso3iit.gif

It's yerself!

You should watch Mark Hunt vs. Bigfoot Silva from last week's UFC. A heavyweight shoot fight that went exactly like this, except one of them has acromegaly like Andre the Giant. An unmissable spectacle.

Yeah, I saw Lambda mention it in the thread earlier - my sole UFC watching friend has been absolutely raving over it as well, so I'm gonna try and check it out sometime this week. There's nothing quite like a real slobberknocker of a fight.

Eh, we'll see. I'm hoping they bring in some new talent to freshen things up a bit.

Ex-WWE talent will continue to do nothing for them, while they just aren't willing to pay indie wrestlers what they deserve - if you want the top guys on the scene, you have to make it worth their while. WWE can get away with signing top talents to developmental contracts, but TNA can't.

Unless you have serious drug problems or only want to wrestling as a second job I can't think of a single reason why big name Indy talents would sign with TNA. You're just limiting your earning potential.

I've missed most of it, unfortunately - but hey, that's what happens when they put H's on my TV so prominently, I tune the fuck out.

It was one of those perfect little things that just came out of nowhere and dazzled. Cody loses his job in a random mid-card match against Orton, cuts a GREAT promo as he's leaving, Goldust comes back and has an excellent match against Orton, Dusty comes and cuts a great little promo and gets knocked out, Cody and Goldust sneak into the arena and attack The Shield, Dusty comes back with Cody and Goldie and delivers the "huckleberry" line, The Rhodes win their jobs back, then win the tag titles thanks to an actually well-done Big Show interference. And... that's really it!

Compact, self-contained, lots of good to great wrestling, character development for both Cody and Goldie, audience investment, great promos, made The Authority look threatening, etc. It was really the Dark Horse angle of the year, and the fact that it so thoroughly outclassed everything to do with the main event storyline(s) should make the writing team feel embarrassed.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How fragile can one man's ego be

Did you ever see the restrictions on pre-release WWE12 footage? "Triple H must not be shown in a submissive or losing position in any footage" etc.

Heel

It was one of the most entertaining fights I've seen all year. Unbelievable. Lots of legit budo.

Yeah, I saw Lambda mention it in the thread earlier - my sole UFC watching friend has been absolutely raving over it as well, so I'm gonna try and check it out sometime this week. There's nothing quite like a real slobberknocker of a fight.

A little wrinkle that you should know going into the fight is that it's Mark Hunt's first fight back from a massive staph infection, which left him hospitalized with a gaping hole in his left calf. You can look up the gory details if you're curious, but this injury comes into play during the fight and makes a crazy fight even crazier.

Unless you have serious drug problems or only want to wrestling as a second job I can't think of a single reason why big name Indy talents would sign with TNA. You're just limiting your earning potential.

Even when indie talents are willing to work for them, TNA still screw it up - hell, they passed on Brian Cage for freaking Jay Bradley.

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Compact, self-contained, lots of good to great wrestling, character development for both Cody and Goldie, audience investment, great promos, made The Authority look threatening, etc. It was really the Dark Horse angle of the year, and the fact that it so thoroughly outclassed everything to do with the main event storyline(s) should make the writing team feel embarrassed.

Man, sounds like the antithesis of everything else going on in WWE at the moment. I'll have to go back and watch this stuff when I've got the time.

Penguin said:

Let's not judge, every day H's struggles to deal with the knowledge that, at best, he was a B+ Player. He was the guy who worked with the guys who made the money and it kills him to know that. Poor guy.

To play devil's advocate for a second - most of the mouthbreathers on WWE.com don't have strong opinions about individual matches. A Punk match is pretty well guaranteed to win based on nothing more than the public perception Punk has built for himself, so by limiting it to one match per star they're preventing a vote splitting scenario.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Is MMA-GAF doing an awards this year? I think it should happen. Involve UFC-GAF with it too, because they shy away from MMA-GAF.

Aiii

So not worth it
Let's not judge, every day H's struggles to deal with the knowledge that, at best, he was a B+ Player. He was the guy who worked with the guys who made the money and it kills him to know that. Poor guy.

You know, it's really weird, because for all intents and purposes he fucked his way to the top and is soon to be the be-all-end-all of professional wrestling. He's literally on top of the mountain, so why he's still so bothered with being considered the best wrestler ever (which he'll never be at this age anyways) I will never understand.

There was a good point bought up on the law this week.WWE has one big botch a year

2010: the nexus
2011:summer of pink
2012: brock lesnar
2013 : Daniel Bryan

My question to you what will be 2014's big botch be

Roman reigns?
Daniel Bryan again ?
Ambrose?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If you want to predict 2014's Biggest Botch all you need to do is pick what sounds most promising. You're guaranteed a win.

Roman Reigns' character will get ruined. It'll begin when he wears little wrasslin tights after he splits from the Shield.

Entropia

No One Remembers
If you want to predict 2014's Biggest Botch all you need to do is pick what sounds most promising. You're guaranteed a win.

Roman Reigns' character will get ruined. It'll begin when he wears little wrasslin tights after he splits from the Shield.

I bet he wears a Samoan getup.

I don't know what makes a match good or bad. I know that most matches I've seen are boring and just background noise and some matches actually hold my attention but I don't know why. I can't break them down to decipher the individual elements that come together to form a good wrestling match, put that into words and type up a wrestling match critique (and don't cite Strobogo, that's match summary not review).

Wrestling criticism wasn't taught at my school.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That'd be sweet. Combat sports awards, even. There was a lot of great boxing and kickboxing this year, too.

and some fantastic Bad-MMA. I looooved a bunch of the Russian trash that happened this year. As well as a lot of Middle East MMA, lots of fun.

jmdajr

There was a good point bought up on the law this week.WWE has one big botch a year

Roman reigns?
Daniel Bryan again ?
Ambrose?

No doubt they will push Reigns but they can potentially botch it by giving him a weak program. Not same situation like Punk and Bryan where they never saw them as stars in the first place.

somedevil

- While CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar isn't nominated for the Match of the Year Slammy Award, a lot of people within WWE believe it was the company's best match of the year. The match wasn't nominated because Punk can't have a better match with Lesnar than Triple H did and Punk vs. The Undertaker had to be listed.

Amazing his ego when it comes to his matches.

DMczaf

I don't know what makes a match good or bad. I know that most matches I've seen are boring and just background noise and some matches actually hold my attention but I don't know why. I can't break them down to decipher the individual elements that come together to form a good wrestling match, put that into words and type up a wrestling match critique (and don't cite Strobogo, that's match summary not review).

Wrestling criticism wasn't taught at my school.

The Power Plant?

Penguin

Roman reigns?
Daniel Bryan again ?
Ambrose?

And always... during the summer, which is so ironic since they have nothing to do all year
Maybe, they don't want to burn out before WrestleMania season, but seems like a prime time to push new talent and angles.

Hit the reset button at Rumble if you need

2014's big botch? I don't think Reigns'll be main eventing yet next year, so while they may botch him, I can't say it'll be the BIG botch.

My guess is they'll give Sheamus a big push when he comes back, build a lot of momentum, then fuck that up sometime.

OOOOH, or they might fuck up Cody Rhodes' momentum. Yeah, that seems like the most WWE thing to do.

Top Bottom