• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| This title has been held by all the greats...and Triple H

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

jmdajr

https://twitter.com/TheRock/status/410113290468331520

team-america-puking-u0aj1t.gif

what

reverse-1312893219_what.gif

Sure there are times where the energy conveys the moment perfectly and transcends any language barrier, but I would certainly be more involved if I had a clue about the overarching narrative.

I get that, there's definitely a learning curve involved - but once you know the characters, know their personalities and motivations it's pretty easy to understand. Plus, there's a few kind hearted folk like enuhito and yottsume who translate news & promos for us. Anything else can usually be found out from asking the community, it's just that initial blind leap into the product that's the problem.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh shit, nearly no JoJo presence on this Total Divas. Agaaaaain. Was this filmed during her involvement with Orton and Orton can't be on the show?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
ibwli0b6duaovfd2diu.gif

I get that, there's definitely a learning curve involved - but once you know the characters, know their personalities and motivations it's pretty easy to understand. Plus, there's a few kind hearted folk like enuhito and yottsume who translate news & promos for us. Anything else can usually be found out from asking the community, it's just that initial blind leap into the product that's the problem.
Ah, I'll have look into those. I have seen a few matches here and there that you've posted and I've really enjoyed what I saw overall, but I was lost on the motivations of the characters as well as what was being said during promos.

Aiii

So not worth it
Sure there are times where the energy conveys the moment perfectly and transcends any language barrier, but I would certainly be more involved if I had a clue about the overarching narrative.

Yes, it would really be much better if NJPW could be more than "awesome wrestling with passionate gibberish in the background"

They should really just hire an English commentary team, it can't be THAT expensive and would definitely increase iPPV buys.

Maybe Orton wins unified and Rock and Cena just have a non title match at WM for bragging rights.

OK I can't even keep a straight face with that one

Yes, it would really be much better if NJPW could be more than "awesome wrestling with passionate gibberish in the background"

They should really just hire an English commentary team, it can't be THAT expensive and would definitely increase iPPV buys.

It would require separate streams and they'd have to fly that crew there every iPPV, have the capability for dual audio on their crew, etc etc.

Ultratech

WrassleGAF's 2013 Accomplishments:

- legitshook.com launched, breaking all previous records for NeoGAF's Community
- "legit shook" added to the common man's vernacular, clearly defined at urbandictionary.com
- 2 NeoGAF Mods post in WrassleGAF (Htown Mod acceptance pending)
- Multiple NeoGAF Mods declared WrassleGAF as "Best GAF" (citation: Eatchildren_au Twitter)
- Wrasslin' Gif thread is the most viewed in OT
- Monthly Wrasslin' threads are the most posted in Community of non-major worldwide sports franchises
- Strobogo's gifs have been adopted by all wrestling fans
- FAN follow WrassleGAF, identifying a major player in the Wrasslin' culture of the internet
- WrassleGAF is declared the best place for NJPW discussion
- GWF ended its historic run this year, drawing a successful project's close. Also, wins awards
- Wrasslin' is the only Community OT to do a proper awards show. Honorable mention to Comic-GAF and Animu-GAF for attempting to do their own awards, but nothing matches WrassleGAF's world-renowned production team.
- And much more...

Feels good man...feels good.

Why? WHY?! WHYYYYY?!

strobogo

Banned
There are too many categories for the WrassleGaf awards that I just can't answer.

I think I'll watch Invasion next.

Also, if we can talk about the wrestling reviews again for a second, I think a reason you don't see detailed break downs of what makes a match good and what makes a match bad is because A. It's pro wrestling and not that many people want to look that serious business about it, and B. Because wrestling is ultra subjective. Story points, moves, or selling in a particularly match may be amazing to one person, but it is going to bore the shit out of the next guy or gal.

You can have "This match was good because they smartly built to a finish, using years of call backs, aggression, no wasted movements, great timing, and told a great story", but the same person can say "I've seen this a hundred times. It was nothing special." and both could be perfectly accurate. In a lot of ways, it is similar to "What makes a good basketball/football/baseball/hockey game". It's so much more subjective than something like a movie.

If New Japan were to provide English commentary, they could just use Tiger Hatori (their translator) and a random gaijin wrestler or two. I'd totally listen to Bullet Club on commentary.

I think they'll become more interested in English commentary once the product starts selling better in the west - the few hundreds of iPPV buys they get from the west are a complete drop in the ocean compared to the 30,000 that order them in Japan. I guess they see it as a gamble and aren't convinced that it'd do much to further the product's appeal over here.

Fight Network here in Canada has a show called "Fighting Spirit Wrestling" and each episode is a compilation of CMLL and NJPW matches with English commentary that doesn't cut out the crowd noise, so it's not like they don't have the technical ability to run New Japan with English commentators.

darkbanjo

There are too many categories for the WrassleGaf awards that I just can't answer.

I think I'll watch Invasion next.

Also, if we can talk about the wrestling reviews again for a second, I think a reason you don't see detailed break downs of what makes a match good and what makes a match bad is because A. It's pro wrestling and not that many people want to look that serious business about it, and B. Because wrestling is ultra subjective. Story points, moves, or selling in a particularly match may be amazing to one person, but it is going to bore the shit out of the next guy or gal.

You can have "This match was good because they smartly built to a finish, using years of call backs, aggression, no wasted movements, great timing, and told a great story", but the same person can say "I've seen this a hundred times. It was nothing special." and both could be perfectly accurate. In a lot of ways, it is similar to "What makes a good basketball/football/baseball/hockey game". It's so much more subjective than something like a movie.

That's a point too. There's also something to be said about how the experience of watching a match can change dramatically based on if you're there live, or if you watch it on TV live, or if you watch it years after the fact. When you watch a movie there's a set way of watching it, it's typically in silence and so it's typically just you and the movie, but there's a ton of other factors that feed into someone's enjoyment of a wrestling match.

They should hire Booker T.

stro, have you seen my SuperBrawl 3 recommendation?

tons of great matches. that or The Great American Bash 1992, the best tag team card of all time.

Aiii

So not worth it
It would require separate streams and they'd have to fly that crew there every iPPV, have the capability for dual audio on their crew, etc etc.

Come on, all they need is one tech savy guy and one or two guys commentating over the live feed in the US somewhere.

No need for English commentary to be on-site.

I understand why they aren't doing it, but it's a missed opportunity. When New Japan was on Eurosport it became quite popular.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Come on, all they need is one tech savy guy and one or two guys commentating over the live feed in the US somewhere.

I think you're oversimplifying. They also need to get paid!

Also I can do an audio stream of commentary with Bootaaay, it'll be like when Vince would announce with Lord Alfred Hayes.

"Oh quite a glancing blow to the breadbasket"
"GODDAMN"

Real GIF of the year is the Vince McMahon / WBF one.
would've voted for it if gaming side didn't ruin it
Lol, bad phrasing on my part. Probably should have said "dead in the water" gimmick, though I have to wonder if he shares Bryan's ability to spin gold from shit.
I think he can. They'd have to try REALLY HARD to ruin him, though. But I wouldn't put it past them.
Best WWE moment this year was Mark Henry's fake retirement speech. That shit was absolutely amazing.
fuck, forgot about that. would've voted for it.

I understand why they aren't doing it, but it's a missed opportunity. When New Japan was on Eurosport it became quite popular.

It is not that simple, as someone else said. You'd get a delay on the US stream end, and probably one on the live feed going out. Does that sound intriguing to you?

Commentary is always done live at the show (for events shown live) for a reason. This is why.

It may seem simple to you, but it's a production crew's nightmare. Just learn Japanese you butt

After the fact, though? Go buckwild.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
May I have your attention please, goddammit.

I'm announcing that the 2nd Annual WrassleGAF Awards Show brought to you by LEGITSHOOK.COM will be televised/streamed online. Thanks to the power of Yuke's and WWE, the presentation will take place in-game and will be available online on Twitch. Get excited!

Mark your calendars for December 26th, at 7pm Central, for the festivities!

Aiii

So not worth it
It is not that simple, as someone else said. You'd get a delay on the US stream end, and probably one on the live feed going out. Does that sound intriguing to you?

Commentary is always done live at the show (for events shown live) for a reason. This is why.

It may seem simple to you, but it's a production crew's nightmare. Just learn Japanese you butt

After the fact, though? Go buckwild.

You can correct the delay in the outgoing feed to compensate.

Do I care if there's a small delay in the feed I watch if there's commentary I can understand? No, why would I?

But whatever, I don't care, it's their business, they can do what they want.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure if it's my memory but I'm struggling with most improved 2013 for the awards.

I can help you out, 2 options:

It starts with an R and ends with an Oman Reigns
or
It starts with a B and ends with an Ig E Langston.

Top Bottom