• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deception IV |OT| Delta Horse Humiliation Game

Zukuu

Banned
can't wait for price drops. Sad that the game is still going for so much as I need a game at the moment and actually have the time to play it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Joy is swinging someone into a trap with a pendulum, then knocking them back into it so they get hit by it again.

The greatest moments in this game are the ones you didn't see coming. :lol

EDIT: Not saying you didn't plan it, it's just that it reminded me of something that happened earlier. I knocked someone into an electric chair with the swinging blade, but for some reason they stumbled out instead of getting ejected upwards like normal, and the blade knocked them right back in. :lol

dreamfall

So I did my research on the game finally- checked out some thoughts on the game, and a bit of video footage and it looks incredible. I think I'd heartily enjoy creating traps to torture these people, muahahaha.

But is the game painfully difficult? Also which version are people getting- is there a difference in quality between the Vita/PS3 versions?

cj_iwakura

So I did my research on the game finally- checked out some thoughts on the game, and a bit of video footage and it looks incredible. I think I'd heartily enjoy creating traps to torture these people, muahahaha.

But is the game painfully difficult? Also which version are people getting- is there a difference in quality between the Vita/PS3 versions?

It can be really difficult, but easy to break. It's sure the hardest in the series by a mile. Three enemies at once, they go faster, and things escalate much quicker.

You may want to start with Trapt, since it's a lot easier and also a blast(although the protagonist is very annoying).

dreamfall

It can be really difficult, but easy to break. It's sure the hardest in the series by a mile. Three enemies at once, they go faster, and things escalate much quicker.

You may want to start with Trapt, since it's a lot easier and also a blast(although the protagonist is very annoying).

Ah, brilliant. I may indeed start there to get a feel for the trap mechanics, and if things go well pick Deception up on Vita! Is it wrong that all I want to do is come up with horribly elaborate ways to eviscerate NPCs?! I think most of my fascination comes from the fact that the game looks inherently unique in the way it plays- and I never experienced the earlier titles in the series.

Thanks for the suggestion cj!

OmegaDL50

In the official trap trailers for the game, you hear character voice audio, and yet any of the replays uploaded to YouTube all have their voice contents muted.

I mean it's not like the screams and death cries are going make the videos that much more violent.

I don't understand why they are muted in the first place. I mean if it was stutter prevention for the video then the music would be affected too. Unless the Japanese VA's have it contracted that their dialog can't be re-posted, if not then it just seems to be a weird case of censorship.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Judgment Room Loop

Man, making videos in this game is super fun.

In the official trap trailers for the game, you hear character voice audio, and yet any of the replays uploaded to YouTube all have their voice contents muted.

I mean it's not like the screams and death cries are going make the videos that much more violent.

I don't understand why they are muted in the first place. I mean if it was stutter prevention for the video then the music would be affected too. Unless the Japanese VA's have it contracted that their dialog can't be re-posted, if not then it just seems to be a weird case of censorship.

That IS what the issue is. Tecmo Koei is having the same issue with DW8 streaming on PS4. ALL sound is muted on the streams due to VA contracts.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Judgment Room Loop

Man, making videos in this game is super fun.

That IS what the issue is. Tecmo Koei is having the same issue with DW8 streaming on PS4. ALL sound is muted on the streams due to VA contracts.

They must not want to pay out extra. As sure that VA companies have now added in clauses to squeeze out more cash for games that allow for videos to be made and such. Before then there really was nothing that was done officially for the most part, therefore companies didnt have to think of such things.

It was same with the anime industry before all the online streaming boom began. During that time it was hard to make contracts or have them understand the business model behind such things. That and they had no legal sort of setup in terms of making such contracts for allowing IPs to be streamed over the internet. This is all talk in the early days.

If anything hopefully in the future they will figure out how to get around this and come to more reasonable agreements that will allow for what folks would consider "standard" these days. As it really is a feature the PS4 tries to show off and it does not help when companies like this have titles with issues like the one here being discussed.

OmegaDL50

I created a video that shows an easy Lyla kill setup. I know some people were having trouble trying to kill her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuS_0j40UVY

My setup requires the two ability slots to be setup as extra traps

It's quite simple.

1) Spark Rod (locks her in place and is weakness 1 in the combo chain)
2) Boulder rolls down steps and crushes her.
3) Lethal Lance to drag her towards the wall.
4) Launch her with a Springboard / Super Springboard (weakness 2 in combo chain)
5) Swinging Axe which launches again and should remove her armor and knock her onto next to the train tracks.

Repeat until dead.

I have a Brutal Buzzsaw positioned to knock her all the way back into the wall with the Lethal Lance / Springboard launcher to do an infinite loop, while doesn't earn you additional ark, it assures she dies without trouble.

Parakeetman

I created a video that shows an easy Lyla kill setup. I know some people were having trouble trying to kill her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuS_0j40UVY

My setup requires the two ability slots to be setup as extra traps

It's quite simple.

1) Spark Rod (locks her in place and is weakness 1 in the combo chain)
2) Boulder rolls down steps and crushes her.
3) Lethal Lance to drag her towards the wall.
4) Launch her with a Springboard / Super Springboard (weakness 2 in combo chain)
5) Swinging Axe which launches again and should remove her armor and knock her onto next to the train tracks.

Repeat until dead.

I have a Brutal Buzzsaw positioned to knock her all the way back into the wall with the Lethal Lance / Springboard launcher to do an infinite loop, while doesn't earn you additional ark, it assures she dies without trouble.

Great vid!

I just kept using a combo that would launch her through that car wash looking spinners over and over and over again.

OmegaDL50

So it seems you can create your own cross-quests and use them repeatedly farm Warl so you can buy whatever traps, abilities, etc you want for the game.

Getting this hint from a member named phexitol over at GameFAQs, you can farm Lyla and get about 5000 Warl a go.

Also if Lyla heals herself you get even more Ark which translates to more Warl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFoV0cSDTDw

Trap setup according to video

1) Delta Horse to immobilize
2) Wall Nudge to push off cliff
3) Wall Smash to knock into Spiked Water Wheel
4) Human Cannon to launch into Electric Chair
5) Springboard to reposition Lyla near Guillotine
6) Mega Yo-Yo to knock into Guillotine

Parakeetman

So it seems you can create your own cross-quests and use them repeatedly farm Warl so you can buy whatever traps, abilities, etc you want for the game.

Getting this hint from a member named phexitol over at GameFAQs, you can farm Lyla and get about 5000 Warl a go.

Also if Lyla heals herself you get even more Ark which translates to more Warl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFoV0cSDTDw

Trap setup according to video

1) Delta Horse to immobilize
2) Wall Nudge to push off cliff
3) Wall Smash to knock into Spiked Water Wheel
4) Human Cannon to launch into Electric Chair
5) Springboard to reposition Lyla near Guillotine
6) Mega Yo-Yo to knock into Guillotine

Btw with the videos that you do any possibility you can also show the general floor layout?

OmegaDL50

You mean the floor layout for the Lyla farming?

If I can get a screencap of the map in-game I'll make a mock up floor plan of the trap setup for you.

Let me work on that.

Parakeetman

You mean the floor layout for the Lyla farming?

If I can get a screencap of the map in-game I'll make a mock up floor plan of the trap setup for you.

Let me work on that.

Awesome that would help out a lot of folks. Thank you for taking the time out to prep something :)

OmegaDL50

Okay at the top of the ledge you need to setup a Delta Horse Trap and positioned behind it is a Nudge Wall which pushes Lyla off the ledge onto the floor below.
qvcMfGS.jpg

After she lands on the floor below you trigger the Smash wall which knocks her into the Spiked Water Wheel, which you then use the Human Cannon to fire her into the Electric Chair across the room.

After she is ejected from the Electric Chair and lands onto the floor you trigger a Springboard which knocks her onto the landing spot where the Mega Yo-Yo is placed

You simply repeat the combo over and over until she is dead and will earn about 5000 Warl in Cross-Quest Mode to do this. Refer to the video I posted above to see the entire trap setup in action.

Once you get more trap slots, you can alter this setup to make even more Ark which means even more Warl (up to 8500 Warl)

As an alternative setup. After the electric chair instead of using a Spring board, use the Iron Rake to push her one square forward, then followed up with Vase. Use Super Springboard instead of the Mega Yo-Yo, and place a Washbin where she lands because the Guillotine will miss her. The Washbin puts her into a "angry" state so she'll just storm up the steps to be suckered into the Delta Horse all over again.

One key to doing this trick is to make sure Lyla heals her self when low on health so you can do this chain over and over for as long as possible. The goal is to make as much Ark as possible to maximize Warl gain. Also if you use the alternative setup with more traps make sure to not use the Washbin when she is low on health because she won't heal when in the "angry" status.

A shame the PS3 screenshot functions don't work on this game. Maybe someone who owns the Vita copy can re-do the setup and use Vita captures for clearer images.

I hope you find this useful.

Okay at the top of the ledge you need to setup a Delta Horse Trap and positioned behind it is a Nudge Wall which pushes Lyla off the ledge onto the floor below.

After she lands on the floor below you trigger the Smash wall which knocks her into the Spiked Water Wheel, which you then use the Human Cannon to fire her into the Electric Chair across the room.

After she is ejected from the Electric Chair and lands onto the floor you trigger a Springboard which knocks her onto the landing spot where the Mega Yo-Yo is placed

You simply repeat the combo over and over until she is dead and will earn about 5000 Warl in Cross-Quest Mode to do this. Refer to the video I posted above to see the entire trap setup in action.

Once you get more trap slots, you can alter this setup to make even more Ark which means even more Warl (up to 8500 Warl)

As an alternative setup. After the electric chair instead of using a Spring board, use the Iron Rake to push her one square forward, then followed up with Vase. Use Super Springboard instead of the Mega Yo-Yo, and place a Washbin where she lands because the Guillotine will miss her. The Washbin puts her into a "angry" state so she'll just storm up the steps to be suckered into the Delta Horse all over again.

One key to doing this trick is to make sure Lyla heals her self when low on health so you can do this chain over and over for as long as possible. The goal is to make as much Ark as possible to maximize Warl gain. Also if you use the alternative setup with more traps make sure to not use the Washbin when she is low on health because she won't heal when in the "angry" status.

A shame the PS3 screenshot functions don't work on this game. Maybe someone who owns the Vita copy can re-do the setup and use Vita captures for clearer images.

I hope you find this useful.

Thats a fantastic setup. And the fact that it armor breaks lyla is a plus. Will definitely implement it. Thanks for this.

Parakeetman

Yeah she does. Makes the fight a lot easier when they are armor broke. When I fought
Telma and Alma
it was a godsend to weaken them.

I usually just brute force those characters to death with constant hits on the traps. Since thought it was a pain in the ass to break the armor lol. Takes a while tho.

I usually just brute force those characters to death with constant hits on the traps. Since thought it was a pain in the ass to break the armor lol. Takes a while tho.

It takes the proper traps. Supposedly its worded in the profile it gives hints to their weaknesses.
I know Celia for example if you launch her thats one of her weaknesses, and the rotors was her other. Dont remember the type of damage it was though. Its in my first vid if interested. Anywho, to get the A ending you have to armor break her in Chapter 6 and 11.

OmegaDL50

Celia's
weaknesses are "Floor" and "Ceiling"

So basically Delta Horse followed up by Swing Axe (ceiling weakness) to position her into Human Cannon (floor weakness) to knock her into a wall which can then follow up with Evil Strike to uppercut her into the air to trigger the break.

That is the most simplest method to armor break her.

cj_iwakura

Here's a simple loop I made:

-Lethal Lance(should go over the spot in front of a doorway)
-Spark Rod(at point of impact)
-Pendulum(swings into point of impact, sending target back to the lance)

The Lance should be recharged by that point.
You can also throw in a Bear Trap or a Boulder if this impact point is at the bottom of a staircase.

I've enjoyed this game but god damn it, the Daemon requests are salt inducing. Chapter 12's requests combined with the enemy classes is one of the most frustrating things I've ever encountered in any video game.

Not worth platting imo

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It's getting to the point that I'm just using cheese tactics to get through the story. :lol Beat Chapter 7 last night, and the majority of the damage I did was by just staying in the room with the swinging blade thing and setting up a Delta Horse within the blades' swinging range, then setting up a springboard at the point the enemy lands at after being hit by the blades to toss them back into them. Not very creative or interesting but it gets the job done I suppose.

I have gotten to that point as well. I have a specific trap setup for each room. To be honest After chapter 8, I am now using the dash from room to room approach. I enter a room and set up my loop. Run to the next and repeat. Once I get them to follow me in a specific room and my set up is complete I basically start my laps. So far its worked very well.

Dragoshi1

Finally got my free DLC from Amazon; the demon heel trap and the gold horse trap! Just got the email from them with the PSN code.

This game is not easy, amirite?

It's fun when the setup works but goddamn is the timing strict. Due to that, i find the pumpkin mask pretty much useless as an opener.

Fighting three enemies at once can also be frustrating if you get caught in a combo and can't escape because of the low running speed.

I like the idea of the game and it's fun, but they really stop kidding after the handhold-y tutorial.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This game is not easy, amirite?

It's fun when the setup works but goddamn is the timing strict. Due to that, i find the pumpkin mask pretty much useless as an opener.

Fighting three enemies at once can also be frustrating if you get caught in a combo and can't escape because of the low running speed.

I like the idea of the game and it's fun, but they really stop kidding after the handhold-y tutorial.

I just started it up yesterday, I found having the run speed and luring guys into rooms with traps set up from the door is the easiest thing to do in a lot of situations

Ogawa-san

Iron Rake is the best opener. Triggers instantly, stays for a couple seconds, no one's immune to its type and you know the next block the enemy will end up so you can safely set up the entire combo.

It doesn't do much damage so I used blood scissors and that shock trap whenever I could, but for the latter half of the game pretty much half of the enemies will be immune to either shock or ground traps.

Vamphuntr

Bought the game Sunday night and beat story mode yesterday's evening. It took me 3 evenings to beat story mode. Game was fun but short and heavily flawed. It's the second Deception game I played, the first one was Deception II.

I got the Vita version and I don't think it works very well on the go. The game seems to save only at the end of the chapter and you need to clear 3 battles to save. I had heard through reviews that the game was supposedly very hard and I didn't really feel that was the case. The only really hard thing is to fulfill all requests, some of them you might not even have the traps equipped for completing them.

Some enemies are definitely cheap though. Some sword wielding warriors can combo stun you into oblivion, the soldiers with the flame/ice/bolt gun can stack status effect on you and the mages were definitely annoying. Yet, some of your traps and skills are really broken too. All the "evil" traps are strong and are great to combo multiples victims at the same time. Paralysis wave is really good to prevent you from taking damage. Nerve Gas was also really nice since it worked on many bosses including the final boss.

Will probably try to complete all the 100 missions doing a bunch each night. It's just a shame they apparently had a low budget for the game. Presentation wise it's a bit poor with only portraits and text between mission (and in Japanese only). Ending was also only a bunch of pictures and text. Apparently there are 4 endings you can get. Will probably replay to see the remaining 3 too.

vocab

Bought the game Sunday night and beat story mode yesterday's evening. It took me 3 evenings to beat story mode. Game was fun but short and heavily flawed. It's the second Deception game I played, the first one was Deception II.

I got the Vita version and I don't think it works very well on the go. The game seems to save only at the end of the chapter and you need to clear 3 battles to save. I had heard through reviews that the game was supposedly very hard and I didn't really feel that was the case. The only really hard thing is to fulfill all requests, some of them you might not even have the traps equipped for completing them.

Some enemies are definitely cheap though. Some sword wielding warriors can combo stun you into oblivion, the soldiers with the flame/ice/bolt gun can stack status effect on you and the mages were definitely annoying. Yet, some of your traps and skills are really broken too. All the "evil" traps are strong and are great to combo multiples victims at the same time. Paralysis wave is really good to prevent you from taking damage. Nerve Gas was also really nice since it worked on many bosses including the final boss.

Will probably try to complete all the 100 missions doing a bunch each night. It's just a shame they apparently had a low budget for the game. Presentation wise it's a bit poor with only portraits and text between mission (and in Japanese only). Ending was also only a bunch of pictures and text. Apparently there are 4 endings you can get. Will probably replay to see the remaining 3 too.

Would you recommend it to someone who has never played a deception game before?

Vamphuntr

Would you recommend it to someone who has never played a deception game before?

If you like games where you must use trial and errors often to win you will like this game. Basically for each battle you must figure out the best traps combinations to win and enemies eventually get immune to some kind of your traps so you must always try new combinations to beat the game. It's the kind of game where you will die often until you figure out the key to win. I don't think it's hard though, it's simply the way the game is designed. I was never stumped difficulty wise. You only have to keep trying. If you don't like that kind of experience, don't touch this game.

Just keep in mind it has quite low production values. Don't expect much on that front. Graphics are dated and unimpressive, cheap animations and effects for traps and bare bone story presentation. There's a lot to unlock if you like doing that. It has an experience system where you unlock more traps by doing more complex trap combos and fulfilling requests during battles. There's costumes to unlock and there are 100 challenge missions which are more or less puzzles. You can also create missions to share with people online and all that.

I only played 2 of the Deception games out of 4 but my guess is that this one is probably the more accessible one. If you are unsure you can probably wait until there is a deal for the digital version.

Flopfan

I want to transfer my Vita save to PS3. I uploaded it from Vita but when I download it on PS3 it says that the data is corrupted? Why is that ?

cj_iwakura

Glad there's multiple endings, but I haven't really seen any dialogue choices yet... 2 and 3 are full of them.

cj_iwakura

Phew, almost near the end. 11's boss was ow.

Thanks,
spark rod!

Had a couple crashes during 11, too.

The final area is so fun, especially the area with the gator.

Do this for kicks, by the upper right area:

1. Iron Rake right to Wall
2. Spiked Spear(pull into wall)
3. Springboard (make victim land in the river)
4. Push Wall through the river and over the ledge
5. Vacuum Fan at landing point, against the lower wall
6. Tombstone on the suction point
7. Spark Rod the water.

Rinse, repeat. Season to taste.

cj_iwakura

Finished, got the
Devil Princess
ending as I dub it. Enjoyable, reminded me of Deception II's best ending.

I have a feeling one ending will involve
the Daemons and the Devil as enemies.

I hope so, and I hope it's half as amazing as I envision.

Millennia Outfit get. Never going back. Oh and the challenges? Nasty.

I got this game last night. It's wonderful.

The bosses are hard though. Needed a bunch of tries for Lyla, and i just beat Vale but that took a while too.

Just scooped this up with the PS+ discount for Vita, only made it through the brief tutorial section, this is my first Deception/Trapt game, anyone still actively playing on Vita?

Ogawa-san

I cheesed him like I did with all the other stupid ninjas in the game: long trap chains starting with a spark rod at the door. They can't backstep from there, and if you trigger early they won't blink either. Rake works too, but it's less reliable.

Or if you're feeling adventurous: if you stand in melee range he tends to not throw knives, so you can bait him to a trap by walking slowly towards it then dodging his attack.

Top Bottom