• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deception IV |OT| Delta Horse Humiliation Game

I spent entirely too much time playing this today (just cleared chap. 8) and I really need to get a better handle on the armor break stuff. The "weakness" thing will pop up all the time for me but I cant seem to bust their armor off. I guess a quick run through the armor break tutorial is in order.

I'm really surprised that there is no survival mode option in the menu. Didn't Trapt have that option or am I just imagining stuff? The quest creation and sharing seems like a more than generous trade though.

I went through the armor break tutorial 3 or 4 times and I still don't feel like I have a handle on it. Admittedly, I'm still really early in the game (chapter 2 or 3 I think), but I get the feeling that the armor break is going to be a pain in the butt.

Kumubou

I went through the armor break tutorial 3 or 4 times and I still don't feel like I have a handle on it. Admittedly, I'm still really early in the game (chapter 2 or 3 I think), but I get the feeling that the armor break is going to be a pain in the butt.
Here's how I've understood weak points to work: enemies with some kind of invulnerability also have one or more weak points. It might be to boulders, projectiles, getting launched into the air, whatever. You'll know you hit it because you'll see a market for it when they get hit. The game doesn't actually tell you what the weak points are, though (although they are often hinted at in the bios you read when using Devil's Eye). You need to hit all of those weak points and then launch them into the air all in one combo -- you can't do it over time. So if an enemy has weak points to projectiles and boulders, you have to hit them with a projectile and a boulder and then launch them into the air. The order of the weak points does not matter, but they have to be launched last (and if being launched is one of their weak points, they need to be launched twice in the same combo).

Ogawa-san

Doing missions actually helps to get some practice figuring weaknesses. Not sure if this counts as spoiler, but in any case: mission spoiler ahead.

There's this one that requires you to finish it off with Arrow Slit, but the enemy is immune to it so you're forced to break her armor first. After trying everything to no avail I've read the bio, it's about her obsession with cleanness and whatnot. So what did the trick was to get her dirty with an Oil Bottle, something I hadn't even bothered buying before.

I wish this either had cross buy at $60 or the console version was $40..

$60 is just too much with still needing to play infamous and dark souls.

Will be interested when the price drops.

How hard is this game?

I haven't played these games since the first one. So just the first one. And that was when I was super young.

Gamefly actually shipped this. First game in the series I've tried, looking forward to it.

Me too (Gamefly shipped me a copy as well). I've played the original Tecmo's Deception on the original Playstation. I recalled absolutely loving it and it was so unique that I think about it from time to time up until the day they announced this new version.

kick51

Banned
How hard is this game?

I haven't played these games since the first one. So just the first one. And that was when I was super young.

it can be quite annoying, especially if you're not paying close attention. my skills go down the tubes once I start getting impatient/tired

but anyone who enjoyed the older ones should get this, it's the same thing but more developed.

Me too (Gamefly shipped me a copy as well). I've played the original Tecmo's Deception on the original Playstation. I recalled absolutely loving it and it was so unique that I think about it from time to time up until the day they announced this new version.

The biggest problem with Deception 1 was the insane memory card requirements due to the customizable castle. Really limited the ability to play it.

The FP perspective was neat though, if disorienting a bit.

Ogawa-san

Got one of the endings, apparently ending "A". Three more to go.

That's the part I'd hate to do without a guide or at least some directions. You're supposed to
armor break (or not) a couple specific enemies, but if you brought the wrong traps with you and can't break it, you'd have to quit to menu to change them and means having to repeat the entire chapter

Fun little game, may try to platinum. But I suspect fulfilling all daemon requests will suck immensely.

Maligna

Banned
Should I buy this game, Deception IV or Demon Gaze? What's the buzz on which is the best?

EDIT: Meant to ask between Conception, Deception and Demon Gaze.

kick51

Banned
the no in-chapter save checkpoint thing is pretty rough. but when things are going bad, it's usually because of a bad load out.

vocab

Should I buy this game, Deception IV or Demon Gaze? What's the buzz on which is the best?

EDIT: Meant to ask between Conception, Deception and Demon Gaze.

All different games.

Demon Gaze will probably give you the best value for your money.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
All different games.

Demon Gaze will probably give you the best value for your money.

What this person said.

If you like wizardry type of games cant go wrong with Demon Gaze thats for sure. Just get ready to have your ass kicked by a side quest. You will know when you find it lol

Foxix Von

Crap, I think my copy is stuck in limbo. UPS says the handed it off to USPS but USPS says they never received the package...

=/ I hope it turns up soon.

Maligna

Banned
What this person said.

If you like wizardry type of games cant go wrong with Demon Gaze thats for sure. Just get ready to have your ass kicked by a side quest. You will know when you find it lol

Sweet, I'll check out Demon Gaze then. I want to support these niche Vita releases but I can't buy them all.

Here's how I've understood weak points to work: enemies with some kind of invulnerability also have one or more weak points. It might be to boulders, projectiles, getting launched into the air, whatever. You'll know you hit it because you'll see a market for it when they get hit. The game doesn't actually tell you what the weak points are, though (although they are often hinted at in the bios you read when using Devil's Eye). You need to hit all of those weak points and then launch them into the air all in one combo -- you can't do it over time. So if an enemy has weak points to projectiles and boulders, you have to hit them with a projectile and a boulder and then launch them into the air. The order of the weak points does not matter, but they have to be launched last (and if being launched is one of their weak points, they need to be launched twice in the same combo).

the no in-chapter save checkpoint thing is pretty rough. but when things are going bad, it's usually because of a bad load out.

Man, this just keeps sounding better and better

Damn myself for screwing up my Gamefly queue

Dragoshi1

Did anyone get pre-order bonus codes from Amazon with this game?https://twitter.com/TecmoKoeiUS/status/448106849959555073
https://twitter.com/TecmoKoeiUS/status/448106246986420225

I didn't get mine and just wanted to make sure it's not an Amazon issue
To confirm, I contacted Amazon about the DLCand they said they did no such DLC promotion. Here's what they said;

I'm sorry to know you didn't receive any bonus code for this game "Deception IV: Blood Ties - PlayStation Vita".

I've checked and confirmed that there is no such promotion on the item on our website. I'm sorry for any misunderstanding regarding this.

cuilan

My Vita copy arrived yesterday, and I'm having fun with it.

I'm impressed that the game has a full Japanese text option. It makes me feel like I just imported the Japanese version for half the cost. That feeling would be a bit stronger if the cover art wasn't "censored" though.

To confirm, I contacted Amazon about the DLCand they said they did no such DLC promotion. Here's what they said;
PartTimeWarrior is also in a little bit of a "loop". He contacted CS live chat and they told him that they weren't capable of fulfilling his request since it wasn't their field, and told them to call up CS instead. Then they told him some stuff and now he's waiting until Monday for more news. lol

That amazing leg better be worth it.

Foxix Von

Finally! Should get my copy on Monday. Apparenlty UPS transferred my package to the wrong freaking post office and it bounced around in Seattle. Ugh.

I'm curious if I get any DLC...

kick51

Banned
Man, this just keeps sounding better and better

Damn myself for screwing up my Gamefly queue

It's pretty sweet. The kind of game where you might have a really bad session just from being tired/not paying attention, then you go back, readjust your load out and approach, then everything just works. I played the PS1 games a little, skipped Trapt, but this one has me pretty hooked. Just pure gameplay with some solid but tough to master mechanics that reward creativity.

BOTEC

I just put about five hours into this tonight. It's a pretty cool little game. It's a little slow to start, but once the annoying tutorializing stops, and you buy a few more traps for your bag of tricks, it starts to get damn fun.

Not being able to see an enemies weakness with the Devil Eye kind of sucks, but once you've beaten them, you can just plunk them into the Free Mode and hit them with everything until you figure it out. Typical Japanese obfuscation, but it's manageable. Overall, this game is totally worth the price of admission.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
is there stuff to do outside of luring to traps? Does luring get harder?

considering that you cant kill them any other way for the most part you will be luring people into traps for the whole game.

it depends really. but its more a simple matter of some AI avoiding locations where they were hit by a trap before. its nothing overly complex.

Adahn

I've not played a Deception game before, and following this thread has made it seem more interesting than I thought it would be - however, I'm right in the middle of the HD Remaster of FFX/X-2 at the moment, and I'm planning on spending a lifetime on FM Vita soon after. Does anyone have a rough idea on how long a runthrough of the campaign here would take? I appreciate that there is additional replayability from different endings and the whole freemode thing, but if it's super meaty I may well park my desire to check it out until I come out of the FM daze.

Dragoshi1

Ch11 boss was such a pain, I nearly snapped my Vita in two with the unimaginable fury of my anger.

Basically, it's a boss who is capable of removing your traps, and not even the rake and Delta Horse are safe from him. Once I triggered a trap, he canceled it, and then removed all nearby traps, forcing you to set them again.

My strategy basically consisted of freezing him with that paralyzing gaze ability, and then leading into a long air combo(I found his weakness somehow and armor broke him), which made the fight easier to complete.

cj_iwakura

Ch11 boss was such a pain, I nearly snapped my Vita in two with the unimaginable fury of my anger.

Basically, it's a boss who is capable of removing your traps, and not even the rake and Delta Horse are safe from him. Once I triggered a trap, he canceled it, and then removed all nearby traps, forcing you to set them again.

My strategy basically consisted of freezing him with that paralyzing gaze ability, and then leading into a long air combo(I found his weakness somehow and armor broke him), which made the fight easier to complete.

Sounds fun. The most terrifying boss for me was in Trapt:
Millennia from II. She uses your traps against you.

Ogawa-san

Really not digging the cross-quest thing...

I wanted to upload those 10 for the silver trophy and be done with it, but you can't upload without quest points. It costs 1000 per quest, and the only way to gain them is by downloading & clearing other people's quests. You get 500pts for clearing them once and you start with 1500, so you have to do it 17 times at least to have enough points to upload 10 of yours.

Needless to say, almost every quest published is a civilian or other weak enemy in a random zone. At least everyone's on the same page... And it's not like it'd let you make intricate missions anyway. It's very limited, you can only set enemies, stage and basic conditions, can't even lock abilities/traps like other missions and you're confined to a single room.

Got all the points I needed, made 10 quests (which also means playing them, you have to clear them once before you can upload), uploaded them all and... no trophy. I can see 10 of my (admittedly lame) quests published and I got nothing.

Edit: posting a 11th did the trick... even though there are only 10 slots.

That mofo..even the almighty UFO? Was useless against him.

I have to find this game... one of my favorites of all time on the original PS. I'm just so glad they made a new one i feel like a little kid.

Fuck you Zeno. First time I got my ass handed to me. And then these asshats that come in a set of threes later on. Damn shit I'm so bad at this game.

But I love it

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Crap, I think my copy is stuck in limbo. UPS says the handed it off to USPS but USPS says they never received the package...

=/ I hope it turns up soon.

I know this feeling. I ordered my copy on Thursday and the tracking hasn't moved since then. It shouldn't take 5 days for something to get from NY to OH. ;_;

Foxix Von

I know this feeling. I ordered my copy on Thursday and the tracking hasn't moved since then. It shouldn't take 5 days for something to get from NY to OH. ;_;

You have my sympathy. I had to call the post office and make sure it didn't get miss sent. =/ I just got my copy today and unfortunately there's no preorder code either.

I ordered from bestbuy and although they didn't list any bonuses I've gotten unlisted bonuses in the past as well. That and my order page noted that part of the order required special delivery in an email. Partially got my hopes up when I shouldn't have.

Oh well...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
You have my sympathy. I had to call the post office and make sure it didn't get miss sent. =/ I just got my copy today and unfortunately there's no preorder code either.

I ordered from bestbuy and although they didn't list any bonuses I've gotten unlisted bonuses in the past as well. That and my order page noted that part of the order required special delivery in an email. Partially got my hopes up when I shouldn't have.

Oh well...

It's funny, like right after I posted that, the tracking updated. :lol Had it done so like six hours earlier, I'd have had it today. Ah well though, looking forward to tomorrow for sure. At least I got my copy of DKCR3D today to hold me over.

kick51

Banned
Lyla reminds me of a Hellsing character, one of the Vatican assassins

map spoiler:
the industrial factory rules, i can't wait to see what comes next

Grisby

Got up to chapter 4. Man, most of my deaths come from me trying to set up elaborate concoctions into stage traps.

However, I think I'm just gonna play the safe way even if it means just using regular traps. The fact that there is no in level saving is super frustrating.

I'm having fun though. Reading the history of an npc and the having burned alive is insidious in a way I can get behind.

Foxix Von

Damn I was almost done with the first chapter but I accidentally killed my self and then the game promptly crashed... Time to start over. :(

Never played one of these before but so far I absolutely love it.

Ogawa-san

Those 100 missions will take a long time... Or a good guide. The 100th one is hilarious twisted,
6 fixed traps and all around corners in the room, you can only choose & position another 3

How about the loading? i remember the one in trapt were horrendous,the previous one were okay.
Not sure how it's on Trapt but it's not an issue here, loading before missions is quick and there's none between rooms.

Kumubou

Those 100 missions will take a long time... Or a good guide. The 100th one is hilarious twisted,
6 fixed traps and all around corners in the room, you can only choose & position another 3

Not sure how it's on Trapt but it's not an issue here, loading before missions is quick and there's none between rooms.
I really like the puzzle missions (where certain elements are fixed and you have to meet a specific target); I kind of wish the mission mode had a lot more of them.

The missions are where the loading is an issue, IMO. Lots of going back and forth through loading screens, given that most missions you pass (or fail) within 60 seconds. Never mind all of the saving prompts. It's a non-issue with the main game mode though.

cj_iwakura

Having them in threes is new to Deception V, and nuts.

Also, this game is completionist hell if you want to kill 'em all like I do.

Top Bottom