• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deception IV |OT| Delta Horse Humiliation Game

Ogawa-san

I really like the puzzle missions (where certain elements are fixed and you have to meet a specific target); I kind of wish the mission mode had a lot more of them.
Yeah, I like the puzzle parts far more than the actiony parts. Coming up with ways to fulfill requests and missions is fun. Dealing with teleporting knife-throwing assassins, chain fire grenades or freezing melee mages definitely isn't.

Also, this game is completionist hell if you want to kill 'em all like I do.
And if you're a trophy completionist: 999k+ exp for all 3 types, every daemon request done, every breakable armor broken, four playthroughs for all endings, every stage trap used, every trap upgraded (aka. purchased twice)...

OmegaDL50

Totally bought.

I've been waiting years for a new Deception game. I enjoyed Trapt on the PS2 and Kagero: Deception II before that.

Time for me to craft ridiculous trap combos.

Also for those who like this game, Trapt (the 4th game in the series is available as a PS2 Classic on PSN)

Dizzle24

How friendly is this game to newcomers? The mediocre reviews kinda put me off.

You either really enjoy it, or you really hate it.

It's fun. It's not GOTY, but it's not trying to be. You set traps, lure people into them, watch the massacre and repeat. It's got a variety in trap types, it has stage traps, different enemy types that have weaknesses to certain traps so you have to use a strategy to take them out.

It's easy to learn, as there is a hand-holding tutorial.

I've never played the Deception games in the past but always wanted to, so I picked up this one yesteday. It's a pretty cool game but I find myself annoyed by the agility of the main character and enemies a little. I'm up to Chapter 4 and the nun is kicking my ass lol

ironcreed

Banned
I played it for a bit last night, but it's honestly too tedious for my liking. Making people chase me through traps over and over wore out it's welcome pretty fast.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I've never played the Deception games in the past but always wanted to, so I picked up this one yesteday. It's a pretty cool game but I find myself annoyed by the agility of the main character and enemies a little. I'm up to Chapter 4 and the nun is kicking my ass lol

The nun is the easy one considering her AI is too stupid to remember trap locations so you can basically kick her ass with the same setup constantly.

kick51

Banned
The nun is the easy one considering her AI is too stupid to remember trap locations so you can basically kick her ass with the same setup constantly.

Vale was kind of a douche. that took a bunch of tries.

do you ever get more ability slots? I just beat the Vale chapter last night, so i think that puts me at ch.7 now? I just can't see myself giving up either the roll or the activate trap slot, ever.

I played it for a bit last night, but it's honestly too tedious for my liking. Making people chase me through traps over and over wore out it's welcome pretty fast.

how far did you get? The enemies get much more difficult and have more varied attacks. You get more trap slots and more traps, as you use them more you get more creative ideas. new maps every few chapters. then it becomes all about crazy timing rather than just getting followed.

Ogawa-san

Vale was kind of a douche. that took a bunch of tries.
It's truly impressive how all the fun I'm having vanishes the moment an assassin/scout show up.

If the game tracked the number of ragequits while there's one around, I'd be in the hundreds.

kick51

Banned
whether an assassin walks into your trap or jumps over is an annoying bit of AI luck. Some of the abilities you get like stun/paralyze seem like they could counter it...but then I'd have to give up my dash or extra trap ;_; maybe i'll get rid of the extra trap tonight.

Dizzle24

So it's a forty-dollar gamble? Hah.

I'm still on the fence myself. Wish it was cheaper, honestly. Only because I have no way of knowing whether or not I'm going to love/hate it.

Ever play Trapt on ps2? If you have, its the same game, but prettier. If you have a PS2 still, and a Gamestop or something that still carries PS2 games, look for a cheap copy and you can check it out.

It's no Goat Simulator, but it has it's moments. Watch some gameplay on Youtube. It does take SOME skill, but only if you want to chain traps together and 1-shot an enemy.

Buy it!

Lemstar

Ever play Trapt on ps2? If you have, its the same game, but prettier. If you have a PS2 still, and a Gamestop or something that still carries PS2 games, look for a cheap copy and you can check it out.

It's no Goat Simulator, but it has it's moments. Watch some gameplay on Youtube. It does take SOME skill, but only if you want to chain traps together and 1-shot an enemy.

Buy it!
Trapt is available as a PS2 Classic for PS3 on PSN for $10, too. Dunno if that'll help the guy you quoted, since it sounded like he was contemplating the Vita version, but it's probably good to know anyway.

Sulik2

Is this game good enough to buy a Vita for? (My PS3 died.) It looks super unique, but I have never played the series. Is it actually good on the Vita?

Svartnatt

whether an assassin walks into your trap or jumps over is an annoying bit of AI luck. Some of the abilities you get like stun/paralyze seem like they could counter it...but then I'd have to give up my dash or extra trap ;_; maybe i'll get rid of the extra trap tonight.

How do you get the extra trap ability? I haven't spent anything on extra abilities yet. If you buy one, does it get replaced with another one to buy?

kick51

Banned
How do you get the extra trap ability? I haven't spent anything on extra abilities yet. If you buy one, does it get replaced with another one to buy?

Not sure if I did anything special or if it was a normal unlock, but it happened pretty early on (like ch2 or 3 maybe?) Nothing gets replaced, you just keep buying them, then have the option to switch them out whenever. They seem to get unlocked at the end of each chapter.

I've been working on trap loops. So far so good. Some of the bosses fall for it big time.

Major spoiler
I think I'm en route to the A ending. Armor broke Celia at the end of Chapter 6. Energy room loop for the win.

cj_iwakura

Trap loops are greaaaat.

Heh, Chapter 4's boss. Glitch city. She let me push her around into the traps. She just stopped moving.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hm. So it seems like the Youtube upload function is just straight-up broken? Doesn't work at all, and doing some searching around, I haven't been able to find anyone who's been able to get it to work.

Not that they seem to have put a lot of work into it; the title of the videos when you try to upload them is auto-set to "Kagero: Darkside Princess". Hey, TK? That's not the US title. :lol

EDIT: Never mind, found a fix! Seems like when Youtube changed how G+ integration works, they broke uploading from PS3.

1. Sign into your youtube channel
2. Click on the gear icon on the top right
3. Go to Youtube Settings
4. You should be on overview and click on Advanced
5. You will see your actual Youtube ID which will look something like "Example-4583@pages.plusgoogle.com (Write down your actual YT ID somewhere)
6. Also, you will see Password in the overview as well. Change your password. (Write this down too)
7. Go to your replays on Deception IV and upload a vid to youtube
8. When it prompts you to enter Youtube ID and password, Enter your actual Youtube ID that ends in "@pages.plusgoogle.com" and enter your new password

Can confirm this works. Just uploaded this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2xpOsn9qjI

So im up to chapter 8 and doing missions modes before I continue on. I love the fact that it is giving me plenty of chances to gain money and exp. Wheres everyone at in the game?

Svartnatt

So im up to chapter 8 and doing missions modes before I continue on. I love the fact that it is giving me plenty of chances to gain money and exp. Wheres everyone at in the game?

Just finished chapter 4, having a blast. That chapter 4 boss, royal pain in the ass.

Since you mentioned missions, how many do you have available to you? I've finished the first 10 missions, but the rest are locked for me. What does it take to open them up?

Just finished chapter 4, having a blast. That chapter 4 boss, royal pain in the ass.

Since you mentioned missions, how many do you have available to you? I've finished the first 10 missions, but the rest are locked for me. What does it take to open them up?

I have 30 unlocked. But I think its both chapter and mission number requirement. Also heads up for major spoilers.
Complete chapter 6 by armor breaking Celia. Then in Chapter 11 do the same for the good ending.

interesting, vita version actually crashed for me after the first fight of chapter 2. Even qued up a bug report style thing to send to sony.

Will have to try the mission again tomorrow.

OmegaDL50

I wish a "limitless mode" unlocks if you beat the game or something.

I mean having no limit of same trap placed in a particular room.

Like setting up a room with TWO Bearclaw traps or other duplicate traps. I suppose they don't do this because then it would be too easy to create some sort of infinite trap combo.

Top Bottom