• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deception IV |OT| Delta Horse Humiliation Game

Shengar

"I should also mention that there are plenty of unlockables, including new traps and costumes -- all included in the base game without DLC. Well done, Tecmo Koei."

Mercy, that kind of thing needs to be rewarded..Please don't be delayed :(

Seriously? This is Tecmo Koei we talking about here, the one who responsible locking Atelier, DoA, and Warrior costumes behind paywall!!

nampad

One review mentioned problems with the camera, how bad is it? I can't stand bad cameras in games.

Never played a game of the series before but I am interested in this one.

MINE WAITS FOR ME AT GAMESTOP, Pre-order of course..maybe Gamestops AI is busted.. My connect did tell me there was very limited release, the usual two copies per store.

Seriously? This is Tecmo Koei we talking about here, the one who responsible locking Atelier, DoA, and Warrior costumes behind paywall!!

That's what blew my mind, they'd put the protagonist behind a paywall if they could.

Apollyon

Neo Member
After some issues with pre-orders, I decided to get Deception IV digitally once it goes up on PSN today. Less hassle with waiting for days for the game to arrive, and I can get it even sooner. Good to see that it's only 2.2 GB in size.

Also curious to know if this is getting a PS+ discount, since I just renewed it today.

Anyway, I can't wait to play this and set up absurd trap combos like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXpfaR86tdI

Or this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9QiDZ5XbCg

OmegaZero

It's looking to me like the Vita version is native res at 30fps, based on the minute I got to spend with the game on my break.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
is this game really mediocre or maybe the reviewers don't " get it" ? I get that feeling

esterk

One review mentioned problems with the camera, how bad is it? I can't stand bad cameras in games.

Never played a game of the series before but I am interested in this one.
It's not terrible if you utilize locking on to you targets. You can select a character and zoom the camera to them to make sure you time traps correctly. I will say it can be a hassle at times and rotates pretty slowly, but it's not going to destroy the experience.

vocab

I'm going try to watch some gameplay of this. Anyone find any youtubers who have like a lets play or the first 20 mins somewhere?

cj_iwakura

By the way, and commenters at Destructoid already caught it:

This time around however Tecmo has opted to not record an English voice track, which makes it less cheesy on the whole and much easier to watch. The Japanese audio throughout makes for a better experience, albeit a more niche one if anime openings aren't your thing.
There's never been an English voice track in any of the last four games.

Ogawa-san

Yeah, I got the Vita version as well. I'd be on the fence if it was a $10 difference, but $20 is too much.

It's pretty fun, even though I'm utterly terrible at it.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, I got the Vita version as well. I'd be on the fence if it was a $10 difference, but $20 is too much.

It's pretty fun, even though I'm utterly terrible at it.

A very simple cheese combo that works in II-Trapt is bear claw, multiple arrows. Kills almost anything that isn't armored with a quickness.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
how long is it? I read it has a ton of extras , Im considering buying it instead of infamous SS or am I crazy?

cj_iwakura

how long is it? I read it has a ton of extras , Im considering buying it instead of infamous SS or am I crazy?

DT says ten hours for the campaign, which sounds about right. Probably has multiple endings, and there's usually challenge modes.

joe2187

Banned
Anybody that has the vita version mind posting some screen shots?

Im going to pick it up this weekend and I want to see some actual Vita screenshots.

Is this game likely to sell out completely or receive a quick price cut?

I'm really interested in it, but I have some games to play anyway atm and I'll be pissed if I bought it now only to see it for half the price in a month or two...

OmegaZero

Im going to pick it up this weekend and I want to see some actual Vita screenshots.

I'll be home in a bit and then I'll post some pictures.
It runs at native res most of the time but utilizes a dynamic resolution like WipEout or Ninja Gaiden with no AA.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I dont understand why everybody is upset about the price.
I'm disappointed in the price. My gut says that this kind of niche game would get picked up by a bunch of people and get good word of mouth if it were $20. On the other hand, if they know it's a real turd of a game, then they're just going to maximize the profit on the few suckers than can reel in.

What's the consensus on the game quality so far?

Eusis

I dont understand why everybody is upset about the price.
Well, the disparity if nothing else is kind of BS. Should probably be $50 on PS3 if it's going to be $40 on Vita, Dragon's Crown did that much anyway.

And it's weird because TK's released at least the Atelier games at $50, sure there was precedent there but you'd think they'd think similar here with a $40 portable release that's got all the content of its console twin.

Shinta

Banned
Picked it up for Vita. Haven't started it just yet, but Trapt is still one of my favorite PS2 games so I'm definitely looking forward to it (gotta beat this Lords of Shadow 2 DLC first ...).

Eusis

By the way, is Trapt worth grabbing now or should I just stick with this whenever I want to grab it? I did want to play it way back but never did, only ever played the first Deception on PS1.

cj_iwakura

By the way, is Trapt worth grabbing now or should I just stick with this whenever I want to grab it? I did want to play it way back but never did, only ever played the first Deception on PS1.

You're asking the choir's opinion here, but yes. Trapt is great.

That is why these games get rarely made.

This is the FIFTH game in the series. It's a miracle it got made. By the way, Trapt's MSRP was $40 if memory serves, which was pretty much full price(and I paid it happily).

I still agree putting this at $60 was a horrible idea, but $40 for Vita and $50 for PS3 seems fair to me.

zkylon

zkylewd
wow was just thinking of this series lately

dunno how i feel about this game, i always thought deception 3 was pretty morbid but in kind of a feel-bad way imo while this looks to revel in torture a bit too much for my taste

kinda cool to see this gameplay again tho, it was always badass

cj_iwakura

Not much, but from the tutorial:

4MFMxph.jpg

c24wVFK.jpg

JyUQltQ.jpg

yDkRPOr.jpg

Luigi87

Bleh
Did the tutorial, started the Story, and game crashed after the first scene transition.

Edit: Proceeded fine the second time.
So happy that activated traps aren't capped at three in a room now.

I am still not sold on 40$ on a genre and series I have not played before, also I would probably be going digital with it. Hmmm... is this a good go to between FFX sessions?

How do you know what enemies' weaknesses are? Am I missing something? I have a feeling that armor breaks are going to be the bane of my existence.

Shinta

Banned
I am still not sold on 40$ on a genre and series I have not played before, also I would probably be going digital with it. Hmmm... is this a good go to between FFX sessions?

It's a niche game, so you really won't find anything else quite like it. It's not flawless, or super cutting edge.

When I got Trapt, I had zero expectations and no idea what it even was. The dialogue was kind of hilarious and awful in equal measure. And then I realized how fun it was to just set traps for people and watch them just combo into the most awful trap combo ever. That's really the simple joy of this game. It's almost like the mouse trap board game in that sense. It's all about luring someone into a trap combo you pre-prepared on the map, and then laughing maniacally as they die in the most hilariously awful way.

joe2187

Banned
Much like Toukiden, looks great in action and absolutely horrendous on screenshots.

Everything better on that OLED

How do you know what enemies' weaknesses are? Am I missing something? I have a feeling that armor breaks are going to be the bane of my existence.

I have no idea, but from what I know of Trapt there should be mission stats screen before you start an area that lists some info for all your enemies.

cj_iwakura

That's what the Devil's Eye is for. It wouldn't be Deception without ridiculous bios for every single victim visitor!

Top Bottom