• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Decorated Marine attacked by group of teens outside D.C. McDonald's

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's a kind of tragic irony, but unless he was targeted for his military service I don't see why describing his background needs to take up 300 words in a 675-word story.

Especially given that this isn't the kind of attention given to black victims of hate crimes.

Well, at least you managed to find a way to make this not about the victim.

That's really what you're taking from this? You honestly can't see how him being a war hero is relevant to the discussion?

How this guy put his life on the line for people like the ones who beat him senseless without reason?

You are over-reading what I said. I'm just saying that this hyper-conservative narrative exists, and that's one reason why his service is relevant.

EDIT: or did you even mean to quote me?

rjinaz

It's a kind of tragic irony, but unless he was targeted for his military service I don't see why describing his background needs to take up 300 words in a 675-word story.

Especially given that this isn't the kind of attention given to black victims of hate crimes.

If the black victim was a war hero they might. War heroes get special attention. I think they should. This isn't a bad thing. I mean I see your point about how this kind of thing happens to people and just because they are a nobody, it's not made a big deal and people move on especially to minorities.

Still, not going to get thinking on this too much, him being a war hero. If he was a celebrity or something I might get behind the idea.

They generally attract deviants in high crime areas.

Many tend to hire security guards, or in this case they have actual cops watching over the place.

Fast food place late at night in DC is just not a safe place, IMO. I'm not blaming him at all, but I'd be getting my food in the drive through and eating at my house late at night.

Interesting. I could definitely see that happening in bad neighborhoods. What a shame though, I feel for the people who work there and the guy that got robbed. What a bunch of little fucking shits.

Also, little shits like this are more motivated about the projection of power (as they have none in their real lives) than anything race related. Invoking BLM was just the convenient vehicle to use to give them a reason to believe they can and should seek to vent their anger on the most convenient target.

Yeah, bringing BLM into this was so disgraceful on their parts, and should not negatively affect the movement, but people are always looking for reasons to discredit it, I'm sure.

Fuchsdh

The BLM question was pure distraction, that's how these shitheads work. There was no scenario where he wasn't assaulted and robbed.

Yep. They would have just gotten more aggressive if he'd initially agreed with them.

Surprising this happened though. Chinatown has gotten way safer than when I was a kid (also a lot less "China" in that part of town as a byproduct unless a Hooters with Chinese characters for its sign meets your criteria of authentic culture.)

I'm assuming they brought it up because he made it out of some very dangerous situations in Fallujah and won a bunch of awards for his service, then he gets cold-clocked in a McDonalds by some shitheads for $400.

Yep. I understand why it's a bit weird given the phrasing though (because it does make you think he was walking around in his full dress regalia or something.)

commedieu

Banned
I'm assuming they brought it up because he made it out of some very dangerous situations in Fallujah and won a bunch of awards for his service, then he gets cold-clocked in a McDonalds by some shitheads for $400.

I don't doubt that, not a local so I don't know those spots.

Yeah, I understand that. In my mind, I saw a pack of teens attacking some uniformed marine. Then my mind went to "who the fuck does that?" Then I thought... Meth does that.

If the black victim was a war hero they might. War heroes get special attention. I think they should. This isn't a bad thing. I mean I see your point about how this kind of thing happens to people and just because they are a nobody, it's not made a big deal and people move on especially to minorities.

Still, not going to get thinking on this too much, him being a war hero. If he was a celebrity or something I might get behind the idea.

Hard to say. You'd think I'd be able to find at least one example of a black veteran being assaulted, but every search attempt just yields white vets being assaulted by black guys (in fact, adding the word "veteran" to a search that otherwise yields lots of results related to black victims instantly turns the results around to focus on white victims). Maybe you'll have different luck than me, but my guess is that there's an underlying bias in the way these incidents are reported.

edit: I had to specifically enclose "black veteran" in quotes to get a relevant result. Those stories don't dedicate as much of their prose to the veteran status of the victim. In fact, they don't talk much about the victims at all except to focus on why they were assaulted.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
...so no, on the statue then? We're still going to push this "why is his backstory important" angle? I understand that people outside of the Marine Corps may not be spun up on this guy, but he is not just "some Marine." Sgt. Maj. Kasal is the central figure, but everybody in the Corps knows the picture, everybody knows the story of the Hell House events.

If Ian McKellan was jumped tomorrow, the news would not just dryly report that Ian McKellan was attacked. There would be extensive talk of his film career. This guy is a B-list celebrity in the armed forces.

The guy's backstory is part of what makes this newsworthy. And if you think the media just overly loves them some Marines, go look up headlines any time one does some dumb shit. Guarantee that no matter how long ago their service, "Marine" will be in the headline.

A man got mugged after leaving Mc.Donalds, who was a Decorated marine. Its presented as if he was wearing his full uniform at McDonalds, then attacked because of his service, or something to that effect? There is a strong focus on his service, that didn't seem to be part of the mugging situation.

I hope they catch them and they face justice.

I read it more as them playing the patriot angle so show how horrible of an attack this was.

I don't give a fuck if he was in full uniform or if he was a bum on the streets no human being should be mugged like that.

I'm all for purging prisons of non-violent drug offenders and such but violent mofos? Put them in a box. Leave them there.

Forgive my ignorance.

I didn't say it would've solved the situation.

So you're saying that it potentially could have helped—or at least more than any of his other options. How would you feel if a person was the victim of police brutality because they didn't comply? Would you have commented that they should have at least obeyed all commands because it'd increase their odds of a better outcome? I'm trying to understand what you meant by your original statement.

They said there was a racial motivation for the attack and the victim thought there was a racial motivation. Maybe it's better to assume this was racist violence. It just isn't as exciting as exposing closet racists based on thin evidence taken out of context.

rjinaz

Are you the detective in this case ?

I think you mean eventual lawyer and it doesn't really matter if his action were non-violent. Otherwise it IS victim blaming. "But he could have properly addressed the hooligans that assaulted him and then maybe, just maybe, they wouldn't have robbed him and hit him over the head"

Yeah no. These people were looking for a fight and this guy owed them nothing.

glow

Banned
So you're saying that it potentially could have helped—or at least more than any of his other options. How would you feel if a person was the victim of police brutality because they didn't comply? Would you have commented that they should have at least obeyed all commands because it'd increase their odds of a better outcome? I'm trying to understand what you meant by your original statement.

No.

Trouble

Banned
Are you the detective in this case ?
Of a sort...

CiZtC3g.png

commedieu

Banned
I read it more as them playing the patriot angle so show how horrible of an attack this was.

I don't give a fuck if he was in full uniform or if he was a bum on the streets no human being should be mugged like that.

I'm all for purging prisons of non-violent drug offenders and such but violent mofos? Put them in a box. Leave them there.

agreed. Its just more bold if they beat up a uniformed marine. Like "kids these days, smh." Thats all. Im not assigning any value to the uniform than just thinking how crazy you'd have to be. Considering they are a trained soldier.

andycapps

Yep. They would have just gotten more aggressive if he'd initially agreed with them.

Surprising this happened though. Chinatown has gotten way safer than when I was a kid (also a lot less "China" in that part of town as a byproduct unless a Hooters with Chinese characters for its sign meets your criteria of authentic culture.)

Yep. I understand why it's a bit weird given the phrasing though (because it does make you think he was walking around in his full dress regalia or something.)

Yeah, I understand that. In my mind, I saw a pack of teens attacking some uniformed marine. Then my mind went to "who the fuck does that?" Then I thought... Meth does that.

Yeah it doesn't seem like something these kids would know. But I don't really get the feeling it would have changed the outcome. His history in the Marines is notable for the readers given what he made it through, but for those kids, they wouldn't care.

FStubbs

Motherfuckers should be locked up for a very long time. Violence like this simply should not be tolerated.

Sadly shit like this will get used to paint everyone striving for the cessation of police brutality against Black people in America as complicit in such behavior.

Or folks will try to claim "this is why the police need to be brutal with them."

If the attackers are actually part of BLM, then would leaders of BLM distance themselves from this incident by calling for just punishment of their own supporters?

commedieu

Banned
If the attackers are actually part of BLM, then would leaders of BLM distance themselves from this incident by calling for just punishment of their own supporters?

Of course not. Blm is pretty much like hitler x 4 9/11s.

They are reaponsible for all individuals actions. Else the hive mind doesn't work to destroy the nation.

HeySeuss

A terrible story about a national hero getting mugged that is mainly being pushed as a vehicle to mudsling BLM. It's crazy how they're seen as this huge hate group that calls for the killing of cops and anyone that stands in their way.

HeySeuss

Ah, I thought you were advocating for the death penalty and I was really confused. Still don't agree though, I don't think assault (especially for people as young as they were) justifies 25 years in prison.

Assault is a misdemeanor, which isn't the crime they committed.

They'd be looking at robbery, felonious assault, and conspiracy to commit a crime.

Roc

Neo Member
Distraction from what? Not victim-blaming but him ignoring the question wasn't going to help the situation.
This is kind of like when people say "I'm not racist but..." Then they say something racist. You're not victim blaming, you're victim blaming.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
How weren't there any police around? The police sit outside of that McDonalds and the entrance to the movie theater there constantly.

Seriously. If this is the one near the Metro/Verizon Center, this is probably one of the busiest McDonald's in the city.

It could be that the whole thing occurred too quickly for anyone to notice what was happening until the perps escaped on foot.

foxtrot3d

Banned
How weren't there any police around? The police sit outside of that McDonalds and the entrance to the movie theater there constantly.

Seriously. If this is the one near the Metro/Verizon Center, this is probably one of the busiest McDonald's in the city.

It could be that the whole thing occurred too quickly for anyone to notice what was happening until the perps escaped on foot.

Yeah, that's kind of puzzling if it is indeed that one.

Maybe it's me but Im calling bullshit on the BLM comment and the fact that it was racially charged. The fact that him being a marine was brought up to intensify how much the "BLM" crowd is targeting even army veterans is what leaves me so skeptical. I don't believe any of what he said, besides the fact that he was robbed. Everything he said feels made up or exaggerated to me.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Maybe it's me but Im calling bullshit on the BLM comment and the fact that it was racially charged. The fact that him being a marine was brought up to intensify how much the "BLM" crowd is targeting even army veterans is what leaves me so skeptical. I don't believe any of what he said, besides the fact that he was robbed. Everything he said feels made up or exaggerated to me.

Woot, woot all on board the victim blaming train.

Jonm1010

Banned
It's just you. Appeals to consequence aren't the best way to evaluate stories.

The guy is a decorated Marine who was assaulted with corroborating video evidence.

What evidence do you have that this guy is dishonest or motivated to lie?

Do you have a motive?

Woot, woot all on board the victim blaming train.

Call it whatever you want but while I feel like he was attacked, I just don't believe half of what he is saying is the full truth. I'm not taking it at face value. I'm not going to be hypocritical and say he has to prove that this was said and I do personally feel sorry for him, but this is my opinion.

Mesada

Banned
It's just you. Appeals to consequence aren't the best way to evaluate stories.

The guy is a decorated Marine who was assaulted with corroborating video evidence.

What evidence do you have that this guy is dishonest or motivated to lie?

Because he's white, what other reason would he need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom