• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deflection/Precise Guard in combat. How do you like it?

Lupin25

I seen this same thread on REEE lol

Parrying is great in rhythm games like Sekiro but games like Lies of P (even tho it’s good) still pissed me off because I felt I was forced to most of the time.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
I seen this same thread on REEE lol

Parrying is great in rhythm games like Sekiro but games like Lies of P (even tho it’s good) still pissed me off because I felt I was forced to most of the time.
LMAO, purple retards must hate it, as their clumsy greasy sausage fingers can never press the L1 button on right time.

Alx

Loved it in Bayonetta, with the Mirror of Shalawhatever accessory. In harder modes I think it was the only way to trigger Witch Time, which made it even more satisfying.
And of course Metal Gear Rising had most of its gameplay based on it, I especially enjoyed it against that boss you were fighting in the mist, requiring to do half a dozen parries in a row.

The same thing?

ok nvm.

dis-belief-surprised.gif

I didn't know one could do this in Sekiro. I need to reassess.

Thank you Bartski Bartski

NT80

Was fighting game Garou Mark of the Wolves the first to introduce this mechanic with it's just defend.?

Was fighting game Garou Mark of the Wolves the first to introduce this mechanic with it's just defend.?
No. It was either Soul Edge by Namco or Last Bronx by Sega and I can't remember which was first. They are both 3D weapon fighting games.

I absolutely hate it, it completely ruins all the fun for me unfortunately. So I've never used it in Dark Souls or Bloodborne, except for maybe some boss where it's pretty much required.

Haven't even tried Sekiro for obvious reasons 😅

My two stand-outs are Stellar Blade and Ghost of Tsushima... Stellar Blade in particular was one of the few games that I fully engaged with the parry system. In most other games, parry ends up getting you hit. It's almost always more beneficial to roll/evade.

I've been training on Stellar Blade for awhile now, I wonder if I'm ready to take on Sekiro yet

I have Sekiro wishlisted, maybe it will go on sale during the Steam Summer Sale

Thief1987

I've been training on Stellar Blade for awhile now, I wonder if I'm ready to take on Sekiro yet

I have Sekiro wishlisted, maybe it will go on sale during the Steam Summer Sale
If you can hold basic 3-5 bits rhythm there won't be any problem, as this is the only thing that you need to win. Yes this game is that shallow.

NT80

No. It was either Soul Edge by Namco or Last Bronx by Sega and I can't remember which was first. They are both 3D weapon fighting games.
I never played Last Bronx but unless I missed something what Soul Edge did was a parry/deflect. Garou's Just Defend was a perfectly timed block mechanic which is akin to DMC Royal Guard system and Sekiro.

Mossybrew

I don't care for combat systems with a heavy emphasis on timed parries/deflects/blocks.

Really the only defensive move I like is a dodge. I just prefer to be more aggressive in game combat, I find having to time parries correctly tedious.

Top Bottom