• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Degeneration X or NWO, which group was bigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
NWO, just for the sheer amount of big names. But I also stopped watching WWF before DX started so I don't have any fond memories of it or anything.

Maddocks

DX no doubt.

nWo was great, but they just kept on growing and growing without any direction. I'm sure eric had a vision, but they never would have allowed his crazy vision of it, so it suffered and the brand was ruined because of it.

Nelo Ice

Banned
nWo and it's not even a contest. DX was an awesome stable but nowhere near game changing. nWo kickstarted everything and brought the WWF to it's knees.

NWO. WCW was just massive at one point. Gerstman on the Bombcast mentioned that WCW was like off brand soda compared to WWF and I just have no idea WTF he was talking about. WCW was a ratings juggernaut in the 90s.

Ratings wise the NWO was just massively more popular. If it weren't for NWO there wouldn't have even been a DX.

Ramsiege

Now was bigger but I preferred DX. You really can't understand how big hulk Hogan turning heel was unless you were there.

I didn't watch WCW and even I know NWO was a much more popular thing. WWF was a better product but they didn't win this round.

Vestal

This is the sad result of WWE revisionist history.

The NWO changed Wrestling as we know it.

1. It had the biggest heel turn in the History of Professional Wrestling.
2. It had arguably the greatest Storyline ever in Wrestling(Until starcade)
3. It made rooting for the "bad" guy cool.
4. Crossed the line, that many thought was sacrilege which was mentioning and using the competition as a way to garner attention and support.
5. Created Wrestling Surveys... "HEY YO!"

BanGy.nz

Banned
nWo

yISkjkZ.jpg

qd6gnvs.jpg

ScrubJay

DX wouldn't have even existed if not for the nWo. It was one of many obvious "me too" stables WWF made in 1997.

Shawn wasn't even around for most of DX's initial run. It was mostly HHH, New Age Outlaws and X-Pac. They weren't even the most relevant guys in their own federation.

BadAss2961

I didn't watch WCW and even I know NWO was a much more popular thing. WWF was a better product but they didn't win this round.
One thing WCW always had that WWF only showed in spurts was a legit competitive wrestling product. While Vince was always interested in the gimmicks and storylines first, WCW reliably treated wrestling like a sport. Always a huge, diverse roster with depth at every belt division. As a result, WCW was a better product throughout most of the 90s, far better before Austin took over. It wasn't until about mid-late 98 that momentum really shifted towards the Attitude Era as WCW was beginning to fade.

Along with Austin, I also gotta credit Mankind's Hell in a Cell performance. That's when I really started getting into WWF again.

Savitar

Oh geez there isn't any question.

nWo

People thought it was real.

Hogan turning heel for the first time ever was a shock covered on the news. Nash and Hall being on WCW had people beliving WWE was invading. The three together had everyone paying attention, this was not just stuff on the internet but on TV and people were wearing the shirts out in public. This was what helped wrestling become mainstream during that time.

DX was a nice foil in the WWE but impact wise DX was a blip compared to the nWo even if it fizzled out in the end much like WCW.

strobogo

Banned
DX had the better theme song.

DX all the way.

WCW suuuuuuuuuuucks.

Loved that era of wrestling. I watched both WWE and WCW during those days. In size, NWO was definitely bigger, but as above, I do feel that DX was more popular.

Me? I too, prefer DX to NWO. NWO angle gets old really fast. Week in, week out...same damn thing. NWO gangs up on everyone.

I was always into DX, so I feel vindicated knowing WCW died.

DX no doubt.

nWo was great, but they just kept on growing and growing without any direction. I'm sure eric had a vision, but they never would have allowed his crazy vision of it, so it suffered and the brand was ruined because of it.

NWO was the better angle, but DX was the better faction.

p3FYCxS.gif

shoplifter

NWO wins because Kyle Petty was a member.

49NWOref-vi.jpg

Also, Muta immediately makes nWo the winners here.

\/\/\/ no way, NASCAR was too sweet

thefro

DX wouldn't have even existed if not for the nWo. It was one of many obvious "me too" stables WWF made in 1997.

Shawn wasn't even around for most of DX's initial run. It was mostly HHH, New Age Outlaws and X-Pac. They weren't even the most relevant guys in their own federation.

The initial 7-8 month run with Michaels as the leader was a main event stable and the focus of the TV show. It was only after WM 14 that it became a midcard stable with HHH going after the IC belt and the like.

NWO was definitely bigger and more important but it really got old after a couple years.

strobogo

Banned
All incarnations of DX are dog shit. Drugged up HBK rambling about nothing until his throat bleeds every week and HHH makes dick jokes is not good television. Face DX sucked. Heel DX in 2000 sucked even worse. And the modern DX reunions have been awful. DX was never good. DX was never the focus of TV either. In 1997, Bret and Austin were the main focuses of Raw. In 1998, it was Austin vs Vince (plus Taker and Kane). 1999 was all about The Rock and Austin. 2000 was Rock and HHH.

DX has never been the main focus of the shows. And rightfully so because they fucking sucked.

DX, moved more merch, drew higher ratings....

WWF didn't start beating WCW consistently until 1999. After DX was disbanded. DX shirts did not at all sell anything like nWo or Austin 3:16 shirts, which were massive.

DX, moved more merch, drew higher ratings....

You're not being an honest cop, Serpico.

Anyway, I haven't watched wrestling since the nWo lost its popularity and WWF/E went PG. It'd be nice to see WWE try to get a little more disgusting. Disgusting wrestling is the best wrestling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom