• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon Gaze |OT| Even heroes have to pay rent

Razmatazz.png

Finally got em 100%! Game was great very happy with it.

PSNProfiles terrifies me because it reminds me of my horrible habit of never finishing games. After Demon Gaze the only games I plan on buying from now until Disgaea 4 R (so August) are Transistor and Wolfenstein. That's cause I know I can finish both within a few days.

Taking a break from Yakuza 4 to continue on in Demon Gaze. I'm in the castle and I seriously can't find this one last circle. Everyone in my party is level... I think 22 or 23 now with the exception of I think my ranger who is at 18 cause I got her late.

Razma1

PSNProfiles terrifies me because it reminds me of my horrible habit of never finishing games. After Demon Gaze the only games I plan on buying from now until Disgaea 4 R (so August) are Transistor and Wolfenstein. That's cause I know I can finish both within a few days.

Taking a break from Yakuza 4 to continue on in Demon Gaze. I'm in the castle and I seriously can't find this one last circle. Everyone in my party is level... I think 22 or 23 now with the exception of I think my ranger who is at 18 cause I got her late.

Just keep exploring you can find it. There's always that one spot you can miss. I added my ranger in the 30's and now she is 60 while everyone else is 63 so they catch up quick.

Volcynika

I went around exploring the castles while getting some equipment to turn into ether and strengthen my characters' armor. Going to take another run at the boss tomorrow, but I know my demons even get torn up D:

I somehow defeated
Astarte
, woo!

Not really sure how and pretty great that she only killed one character that I was able to revive shortly afterwards.

Where's the best place to find the Holy Shield artifact? That Googledoc says it's in Venus' Dungeon, but I can't get it to appear no matter what combination of gems I try. Well, at least I managed to get Astro Force and Force Set W. Having everyone but my Paladin in the backrow is nice.

And I only just realized that increase gems work with artifacts. Not that I have enough increase gems for it to matter, but I still feel like I wasted a bunch of artifact gems by not using them with increase gems.

RyoonZ

Banned
Just got into the castle. This game is now officialy my favorite dungeon crawler (I don't play much in the genre lol just EO). Really hope someone will bring over Labyrinth Cross Blood, I heard it's even better than this?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Just got into the castle. This game is now officialy my favorite dungeon crawler (I don't play much in the genre lol just EO). Really hope someone will bring over Labyrinth Cross Blood, I heard it's even better than this?

Not exactly, its totally different.

Gameplay is similar in terms of it being wizardry based though.

RyoonZ

Banned

Yeah I hope it comes over and their 2 upcoming games which hasn't been released in Japan yet (I'm greedy). I hope Demon Gaze did well for NISA too, I bought Vita to play this kind of games :D

badgenome

Eff that! Stranger of Sword City or bust!

Parakeetman

Yeah I hope it comes over and their 2 upcoming games which hasn't been released in Japan yet (I'm greedy). I hope Demon Gaze did well for NISA too, I bought Vita to play this kind of games :D

As I mentioned time and time again most likely the best battle plan which makes the most sense is to bring over Tokyo New World Record: Operation Abyss, as it can play off the same character art / design as Demon Gaze which has gained a fanbase from that. Though with marketing making it for a more "serious" type of experience with how the story is. But we have yet to see that, though if it follows how the games from the Generation Xth series is in general it shouldnt be too far from the truth as thats what OA is based off of.

Bringing out Crossblood first would be a huge mistake personally. Even more so considering that there will be another version out in August that adds some character art from OA in it. So with that in mind, if they wanted to could bring out Crossblood Infinity Ultimate after. Though the question stands is how similar are the two stories of the game.

All I know with OA (have not looked in depth yet) is that its supposedly a remake of one of the Generation Xth based games, question is which one.

They would need to be smart about how they space these out and riding the wave correctly otherwise it can cause burnout on the genre. But most def TNWR:OA is the best choice for the overall warplan and really do hope that is whats going on behind the scenes. As the game was pretty much finished for the most part before the publisher went and imploded, so if they were working on something together it could have been a possibility for a localized version. The question though that comes into play is how were all the rights and such handled during the freeze time, as am sure no new talks could have occurred until the IP properly changed hands. And that is depending once again on how the IP rights were divvied up. If EXP Inc. held it for the most part then they could have entered localization talks before 5pb / mages took over.

Strangers Id say would be further down the line considering we dont even have a release date for the Vita version. Which would most likely be the one that would get localized over the 360 / PC versions. Over here in Japan the general consensus is a lot of folks will be waiting for the Vita version. Which I can understand their feelings as these types of games far better are more enjoyable to play on the go, rather than having to sit down behind something and game on. That and the price is pretty fucking high too esp the PC version. Depending on my war funds might pick up anyways just because.

For actual details on the differences with the titles Id have to speak to my buddy as hes the one who has cleared the games multiple times and can do it pretty damned fast too. Though all the drinking he usually does leaves him forgetting shit most of the time so...

Eff that! Stranger of Sword City or bust!

Hehe I hope we get all of them

I agree I want them all. I absolutely love this game.
Sent emails asking Exp and NISA to consider bringing them over and thanked them for bringing the game here and for all their hard work

Parakeetman

I agree I want them all. I absolutely love this game.
Sent emails asking Exp and NISA to consider bringing them over and thanked them for bringing the game here and for all their hard work

While most people would scoff at hearing someone emailing a dev like that, Id say its a good thing you did. Shows direct interest in said titles and truthfully would be great if more people followed suit also.

While most people would scoff at hearing someone emailing a dev like that, Id say its a good thing you did. Shows direct interest in said titles and truthfully would be great if more people followed suit also.

It's not something I usually do. Actually I've never done it.
Just curious, why would someone scoff at it? Is it a faux pas or something?

People are just generally assholes. That and they think small things like that are meaningless.

Well as a content creator I know how much it means to me when someone writes me about my work. It's a great feeling.

It also let's you know people are out there enjoying what you create.

What can I say, I really enjoyed the game

If no more come out I'll have to learn programming and make a DRPG myself. I've been thinking and drawing designs for one for years now anyway.

Parakeetman

Well as a content creator I know how much it means to me when someone writes me about my work. It's a great feeling.

It also let's you know people are out there enjoying what you create.

What can I say, I really enjoyed the game

If no more come out I'll have to learn programming and make a DRPG myself. I've been thinking and drawing designs for one for years now anyway.

Exactly, thats the right way to think about it and what most folks dont realize.

Theres always the unity engine!

Parakeetman

Are there any written interviews with the developers?
Maybe they talk about their process

Not sure really. Im not exactly one that keeps up with that sort of stuff. But dont think so as Japanese interviews generally rarely ask any "useful" questions. Since everything for the most part is pre-canned.

So I think I wasted some artifact gems (2)

I got shadow step and slash 1, slash 1 means more crowd control and shadow step on a paladin is one of those optimal builds things I think.

The other two are magic weapon (anti-spirit weapon boost skill) and front guard (paladin back row guard skill). Either of those useful?

Also any particular artifacts should I hold out for?

Parakeetman

gBxt0tr.png

First 2 on the Left unrelated to the genre, but the 2 on the Right are. By far two of the best Wizardry games ever.

Was too lazy to go find my copies so rebought used ones of all 4 titles.

Yeah, the rage form of
Jupiter
was eaaaaaaaasy peasy.

I seriously just finished it in less than 4 turns.

Also I just completed the Shark Quest. So... Do I just go get Venus now? Cause the Priest mentions something about a Light Stone? And I need lightning and earth powers or something... Even though I have Jupiter and Chronos already.

I'm still in this castle, I'm honestly trying to extend my experience by playing less (so it lasts longer) but I'm gonna need new armor and weapons.
Iron Golems and the wolf chieftain things are destroying my party members

JPS Kai

So, doing post-game in
God's Eden
and came across an item called
Wedding Invite
in one of the circles. What exactly does this do?

ZeroAKA

My level ~30 party (+ level 25 Ranger) barely touched
Ether Mirage
because of his/her healing. Back to hunting for loot then. :(

Edit: Or not. That was... easy.

Volcynika

Was able to down
Venus
and now working on the dungeon for
Astro
. I felt a little bad
stealing that mythryl item or whatever from the miners, but they were charging too damn much for it!
. Haven't had too many issues with the enemies, though sometimes my assassin will get wrecked and killed quickly. I think I've only found one demon circle in this entire part of the dungeon so far, it's massive.

Ironjam

Im finally able to play again for some days, had to take a break because of tests. Just made a ranger to replace my samurai, because she wasnt that good for boss fights and i can easily sweep the mob fights with my gazer and assassin. Only
Quasar
is left to take care of, will try again when my ranger is good enough.

Btw, anyone knows how many times you have to pay rent in a row to get the
Model Resident
trophy?
Edit: Nvm, just got it.

So, doing post-game in
God's Eden
and came across an item called
Wedding Invite
in one of the circles. What exactly does this do?

It just brings you back to the inn and does nosthing else from what ive noticed. It also has unlimited use and never disappears, so just sell it if you need space.

I seriously just finished it in less than 4 turns.

Also I just completed the Shark Quest. So... Do I just go get Venus now? Cause the Priest mentions something about a Light Stone? And I need lightning and earth powers or something... Even though I have Jupiter and Chronos already.

Yea just continue on to Venus.

Parakeetman

I kinda want an avatar of one of the demons or something, but I'd have to find some art to use :(

Some Demon avatars done by the Japanese artist えるる (Erl).
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Erl/

Resized these down to 120 x 120. Seems like it works when having tested it earlier.
DWtjryR.jpg
qEqJ97d.jpg
eCbgrYD.jpg
ql6Opzz.jpg
TPXbKiP.jpg

Sorry bout the larger image size here, but figured its better for those who want to edit these to have a transparent background.

posted those way earlier in the thread so its no wonder folks missed it lol

Crunch King

Neo Member
Only played a few hours so far, but really enjoying this game so far. Absolutely beautiful, to boot.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned - does anyone have a rough estimate as to how long the game will take to finish?

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
My game should be here in the mail today! Looking forward to it!

Shengar

Grimodar Castle 1F+2F and Underground Dungeon+Venus run really pushed my inventory management lol
Both Jupiter and Venus are easy, though I must retry on the latter because I'm screwed up by her seeds (what's the condition that trigger seeds respawn anyway?) and take too many times on buffing. Ended up using full assault on the second try and the battle over just under ten turns.

And damn, strengthening weapon really a money drain.

Parakeetman

Only played a few hours so far, but really enjoying this game so far. Absolutely beautiful, to boot.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned - does anyone have a rough estimate as to how long the game will take to finish?

30-40 hours

Parakeetman

Is that includes post game stuff?
I played like for straight 6 hours today and only managed to get into Jupiter and Venus, and that's not including my clueless stroll on the castle due to secret passage.

Thats the general average that Ive seen Japanese gamers say. But a lot of these folks are ones who are familiar with the genre so there is that too.

Volcynika

posted those way earlier in the thread so its no wonder folks missed it lol

Hm, may use one of those. I was wanting to find something like their character art in-game, but I'll keep an eye out.

Thats the general average that Ive seen Japanese gamers say. But a lot of these folks are ones who are familiar with the genre so there is that too.

Hm. I'm about 20 hours into it myself, working on going for
Astro
. Still have a handful of demons left at least!

Parakeetman

Hm, may use one of those. I was wanting to find something like their character art in-game, but I'll keep an eye out.

Hm. I'm about 20 hours into it myself, working on going for
Astro
. Still have a handful of demons left at least!

Btw looks like the JP "Global Edition" version will be getting DLC of artwork from the manga. Well shit I might have to go and buy the Global Edition now when its out just because.

http://gamersyndrome.com/2014/news/demon-gaze-global-edition-second-collaboration-dlc-announced/

Chronos will always be my favorite lol.

mAcOdIn

So I'm near the endgame and feel I can finally talk about this game.

First off, I really like it. I shouldn't. Despite my avatar I'm not terribly fond of the anime trappings the game is wrapped in and once I took my first foray into Red City and started reading everyone's memos I was tempted to just stop there. Compounding my initial kinda apprehension is that I rarely get into these kinds of games. For instance, while I have most of the EO's on the 3DS I never really got far in any of them. But screw it, I payed money for this so I'm going to try and squeeze some amount of enjoyment out of it, at least spend a few hours on it so I didn't waste 40 bucks, you know? And now I'm at the end of the game. May even make this my first platinum!

So what did I end up liking?

Basically everything else. I don't think anyone's going to say the game looks fantastic but I think the artwork fits better than EO, and, believe it or not actually more tasteful despite the game being slightly more juvenile what with panty sniffing, collecting panties, the messages, basically making a demon harem and yet the art's still a tad more tasteful lol. I'm a fan that the map draws itself. That the overworld is just a 2d map that I select instead of a n64 era looking 3d overworld I have to travel around(if only the dungeons weren't sometimes ugly). I like that I'm pretty much funneled along linearly so that I'm not wandering around for hours wondering what to do. The dungeons are short enough that few ever really wore on too much. The demons each adding a perk of sorts to your party is a nice mechanic. And while there is somewhat of a factor of chance in a boss fight I generally felt that just changing an equipped demon for a different tactic made it doable. I never felt like I had to grind so when I was grinding it was because I wanted to. And I always feel I'm making progress.

If there were some things I'd change mechanically I wish I could mark the map like EO, the translation could use a tad bit of work in item descriptions, more character portraits would be cool and, yeah, I think the story and characters could use a bit of work. I'd like to play something else from these guys again.

Volcynika

Yeah, if I could mark the map for hidden treasure locations with the demon I need, that would be a major annoyance out of the way.

Shengar

Mine shows 27 hours in, and that with some relentless grinding lol
So the estimate might be correct for post-game
Yeah, if I could mark the map for hidden treasure locations with the demon I need, that would be a major annoyance out of the way.

"Kick North Venus"
Doesn't have Venus
Finally beat her
Forget where the location was
Yeah, this game really need a map marker >__>

Haven't had much time to play lately, but there is a lot more to Grimodar than I expected. Just got Astro last night. I can never seem to comfortably bring my inventory below 50. Might be time to purge everything and start from scratch if dungeons are going to keep getting bigger.

mAcOdIn

God yes.
Haven't had much time to play lately, but there is a lot more to Grimodar than I expected. Just got Astro last night. I can never seem to comfortably bring my inventory below 50. Might be time to purge everything and start from scratch if dungeons are going to keep getting bigger.
You can just put tons of stuff in storage, you have like 1000 slots in the basement with Prometh, I haven't gotten close to filling it yet and I kept a ton of crap.

In reality, as my healer leveled up items became useless outside a few boss fights, for the most part the only stuff I kept on me was some form of healing staff and a return mirror or two(just because you can't use the spell under water). All the rest of the space goes to gems, equipment drops from using the said gems on circles and enemy drops. Once you get near the very end you'll probably want some angel mirrors, high healing items, demon vases, resurrection items, and those dolls that prevent deaths and abductions as well.

Shengar

Try a very long demon circle + capture one demo without returning to the inn run like me, and you'll purged your inventory from useless shits in no time lol

Top Bottom