• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon Gaze |OT| Even heroes have to pay rent

Volcynika

Got to rage form of
Astro
and feels like I really have to deal as much damage as quick as possible. If the seeds come, it's hard to keep 'em from healing the damage I dealt.

Uthred

How important are "ideal" Race+Class combos in this game? So far I've been making characters based on the portraits I like, so sub-optimal stuff like Elf Fighters (because who can resist that swag suit and giant rose?), etc.

I can't seem to get this to load on my phone :(

Heres the relevant info

Code:
Stat	What the stat level affects	Special Notes									

STR	Physical Attack power		Affects power of Gazer Bolt + Gazer Blast

INT	Maximum MP												
        Magical Attack power										

MYS	Maximum MP			Affects success rate of Gazer Heart
	Healing Efficiency		
        Frequency of Mana Heal activation + recov. amt.41 MYS = Recovery every turn of battle (Mana Heal II)

VIT	Maximum HP			10-15 VIT = about 20-25 HP gained per level, depending on class. 
	Physical defense		VIT *DOES NOT* affect per-level HP gain.

AGI	Battle action speed (turn order)	Secondary weapons receive a damage reduction					
        Dodge chance				penalty based on how far below 25 the AGI stat is.
	Accuracy				Unsure if there is any damage BONUS for having it	
	Secondary weapon offensive power 	above this number.
	Success chance of Front Guard	

LUC	Status affliction rate (both applied and received)
	Success chance of Killer Edge and Devotion
	Success chance of Hide/Undetection (Assassin)
	Success chance of Mirage		Based on LUC of the Mirage user
	Non-Elemental Magic damage (Omega Impact)
	Pierce activation chance
	(Critical hit chance/damage?) *Unconfirmed*

mothball

2014-05-08-0427374magh.jpg

I giggled.

Foxix Von

How important are "ideal" Race+Class combos in this game? So far I've been making characters based on the portraits I like, so sub-optimal stuff like Elf Fighters (because who can resist that swag suit and giant rose?), etc.

Heres the relevant info

Code:
Stat	What the stat level affects	Special Notes									

STR	Physical Attack power		Affects power of Gazer Bolt + Gazer Blast

INT	Maximum MP												
        Magical Attack power										

MYS	Maximum MP			Affects success rate of Gazer Heart
	Healing Efficiency		
        Frequency of Mana Heal activation + recov. amt.41 MYS = Recovery every turn of battle (Mana Heal II)

VIT	Maximum HP			10-15 VIT = about 20-25 HP gained per level, depending on class. 
	Physical defense		VIT *DOES NOT* affect per-level HP gain.

AGI	Battle action speed (turn order)	Secondary weapons receive a damage reduction					
        Dodge chance				penalty based on how far below 25 the AGI stat is.
	Accuracy				Unsure if there is any damage BONUS for having it	
	Secondary weapon offensive power 	above this number.
	Success chance of Front Guard	

LUC	Status affliction rate (both applied and received)
	Success chance of Killer Edge and Devotion
	Success chance of Hide/Undetection (Assassin)
	Success chance of Mirage		Based on LUC of the Mirage user
	Non-Elemental Magic damage (Omega Impact)
	Pierce activation chance
	(Critical hit chance/damage?) *Unconfirmed*

Ohhhhhh my god thank you.

As far as stats go, I didn't realize how important AGI was for Paladins until later in the game. Front guard chance and dodging are so important, especially once you get astroforce and have your Paladin as the sole frontliner.

Volcynika

Which order do I put in gems to get more than one artifact? I'm super timid about it since there's only one of each artifact (excluding using the +1 gem) in the game, so I'm really trying to figure out how much of each one I want. G/P/R/H/A party currently.

Uh... Did I screw up somewhere? I basically pumped VIT into my Paladin (I'm working on STR and AGI now) and I think I got to a point where it just don't let me put more points towards it? I ran into a similar situation with my Healer except for it was MYS instead. Is this supposed to happen?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Uh... Did I screw up somewhere? I basically pumped VIT into my Paladin (I'm working on STR and AGI now) and I think I got to a point where it just don't let me put more points towards it? I ran into a similar situation with my Healer except for it was MYS instead. Is this supposed to happen?

yes it is. each race has a cap on the stats.

Tohsaka

The teleporter thing in
Terra's Cell
is really annoying. I turned it off last night after not being able to find the way to the circle, going to give it another try again in a bit.

yes it is. each race has a cap on the stats.

Ah okay then. I'll just focus on other stats then since I'm trying to get everyone to level 35+ and with better equips. I already got all 10 Demon Keys and I'm getting ready to fight
Sol.

The strange thing is that after I think... Chronos every boss fight has been really easy, except for the fucking
Shark Lord boss.
It was actually the demon circle strong enemies that really gave me trouble, like the super gigantic golems and the golden chicken egg... Thing which wrecked me with status ailments.

galvenize

Just a question. It might have been asked already but how does this game compare to Etrian Odyssey IV? I'm not a big fan of constant first person perspective during battles but I heard it's different here.

Parakeetman

Just a question. It might have been asked already but how does this game compare to Etrian Odyssey IV?

Totally different in general with how combat works, id say its actually easier. As you dont have to deal with as many skills and such. Plus slightly harder to screw up your character by putting in skill points wrong, as it should be pretty obvious on what you should be doing with the stats points instead.

that and you dont have to worry about shit like FOEs either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUs2_7SYAI8

Shengar

Totally different in general with how combat works, id say its actually easier. As you dont have to deal with as many skills and such. Plus slightly harder to screw up your character by putting in skill points wrong, as it should be pretty obvious on what you should be doing with the stats points instead.

that and you dont have to worry about shit like FOEs either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUs2_7SYAI8

*Sweating nervously
Dammit, is it wrong if I focus my Pladin on STR, and Vit, Samurai+Ranger on STR and AGI and Healer on MYS+AGI?

ktynn

Banned
I got a 3DS, Wii U, X360, PS3 and gaming PC. Is it worth buying a PSVita for this game? I live in Europe btw.

EDIT: I did just buy Nocturne on the US PSN and still got Bravely Default to finish.

Tohsaka

I got a 3DS, Wii U, X360, PS3 and gaming PC. Is it worth buying a PSVita for this game? I live in Europe btw.

Probably not just for this game. There are plenty of good Vita games if you're a fan of JRPGs and other niche Japanese games, though.

Ironjam

*Sweating nervously
Dammit, is it wrong if I focus my Pladin on STR, and Vit, Samurai+Ranger on STR and AGI and Healer on MYS+AGI?

Yea those are pretty good for stats. I think AGI and LUC are the best for assassin, agi/str/luc for ranger, mys/agi/vit for healer and vit + luc/agi/str for paladin, depending on playstyle really.

*Sweating nervously

Nah, shouldn't be too bad.

I been pumping nothing but VIT into my Paladin and once I cap that, I'll probably start throwing into LUK.

I got AGI on my samurai to 25 so I'll probably go with LUK now so I can get more cheap OHKOs.

I do feel like the Ranger is weird since it's a mix of STR/AGI/LUK now and I don't know where to go with that.

I actually been pumping VIT into my Healer for more HP. I haven't really hit a point where I need more MYS thanks to the Healing Staff and spamming Holy Shield, so not sure if I want to throw in more AGI or LUK or go back to MYS for her...

ktynn

Banned
Probably not just for this game. There are plenty of good Vita games if you're a fan of JRPGs and other niche Japanese games, though.

Thought so, i'm just a bit sad that SMT4 hasn't been made available for the European market :-/

I'll wait and see :^)

Shengar

*Wipe sweats
So it's not bad after all. I'm mostly play aggresively, only put the first 4 turns to buff my team before went full-assault against bosses since my demon setup mostly Mars-Chronos-Hermes. Now I think I need to put some VIT on my Healer and Ranger since they usually one-shotted by boss.

Why LUK and not AGI? Defending/Front Guard seems to be more effective than devotion once most of your team is in the backrow.

Hm, makes sense, I guess I was just too worried over status effects for my Paladin.

Though depends how lucky I am in getting an Astral Force artifact for my Samurai.

ZeroAKA

You don't need to worry about messing up stats. You get +1 point for every level, and every stat only goes up to +20 of the base at level 1 (e.g. max 33 VIT for Dwarf). Theoretically, you should be able to max almost everything except for 1 stat (INT on Paladin or STR on Healer for example) at level 99.

I'm focusing on VIT/STR for my Paladin too, which allowed me to free up my Samurai slot for a Ranger instead.

Parakeetman

*Wipe sweats
So it's not bad after all. I'm mostly play aggresively, only put the first 4 turns to buff my team before went full-assault against bosses since my demon setup mostly Mars-Chronos-Hermes. Now I think I need to put some VIT on my Healer and Ranger since they usually one-shotted by boss.

You really shouldnt worry too much as long as you didnt do something totally stupid like go all in with INT with a Fighter character.

You don't need to worry about messing up stats. You get +1 point for every level, and every stat only goes up to +20 of the base at level 1 (e.g. max 33 VIT for Dwarf). Theoretically, you should be able to max almost everything except for 1 stat (INT on Paladin or STR on Healer for example) at level 99.

Level 99? Not many will ever get close to that level. I beat the final boss at level 32.

Parakeetman

It was more of a FYI thing for those who were worried about screwing up stats permanently.

Truthfully it doesnt really help folks out since as mentioned not many are going to get to that level and you need to warn people dont screw up the choices initially for the most part unless you want to grind mindlessly to make up for it. lol

Having an inefficient character isnt the best way to go about things with the game esp with a certain boss where damage output is a big thing.

Though thankfully you can make up lacking stats with a particular race with the room item + other pieces of equipment worn that have stats enhancing abilities.

But bad point choices are generally something that should be avoided. Though it being obvious what bad choices are dont think anyone would have that problem. At least Id bloody well hope not. lol

ZeroAKA

Truthfully it doesnt really help folks out since as mentioned not many are going to get to that level and you need to warn people dont screw up the choices initially for the most part unless you want to grind mindlessly to make up for it. lol

Having an inefficient character isnt the best way to go about things with the game esp with a certain boss where damage output is a big thing.

Though thankfully you can make up lacking stats with a particular race with the room item + other pieces of equipment worn that have stats enhancing abilities.

But bad point choices are generally something that should be avoided. Though it being obvious what bad choices are dont think anyone would have that problem. At least Id bloody well hope not. lol
I certainly hope that nobody screwed up that much either lol. I was thinking more along the lines of "oh no, I just put a point into AGI instead of VIT for my Paladin by accident." :p

ZeroAKA

Finally finished the main story! I'm still missing a few of the trophies, but I'll probably come back for those once I get tired of Soul Sacrifice Delta and Borderlands 2. This is definitely my favorite game I've played so far this year.

bradigor

I seem to have hit a brick wall with the final boss. I wouldn't mind, but I then need to play through all that dialog again and make my way there.

So close!

Foxix Von

Huh, there's some conflicting info in the spreadsheet. Under the section of stats it says that vitality doesn't effect per level HP gain whereas in the ideal class builds it claims that you should max out VIT ASAP because it DOES effect per level HP gain.

Anyone know what the real answer is?

ZeroAKA

Huh, there's some conflicting info in the spreadsheet. Under the section of stats it says that vitality doesn't effect per level HP gain whereas in the ideal class builds it claims that you should max out VIT ASAP because it DOES effect per level HP gain.

There is a huge difference between the HPs of my party members who have points in VIT and those who don't.

I think they mean that HP increases per level regardless of whether you put in VIT points or not. It's just that more VIT will give you further increases in HP on top of the natural increase upon leveling up.

badgenome

I'm not entirely sure, but I think it means that you don't suffer a long term penalty for not maxing out your VIT ASAP and if you start putting points into VIT later, the game will "catch you up".

epmode

GAF, I can't decide which class to take for my first party member. This is so much easier when I can create an entire party at once!

Uthred

It doesnt matter when you get the VIT it seems, someone over on gamefaqs tested it out ( http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/688105-demon-gaze/69100976?page=1 ) and it seems that the game basically calculates your max hp based on vit and gives you that so whether you have a level 4 character that put points into vit at 1 and another who put it in only at 4 they'll have the same amount of HP. So VIT only affects maximum HP.

Do demons only get XP when "Open" or when attached?

I think it's every battle that are a part of regardless if they are used or even if any enemy is defeated.

I know Hermes ranked up once when the only enemy in a fight ran away before I could do anything which I thought was funny.

Yo93

Hi, I have a doubt regarding the treasure maps Do they have another use apart to indicate the treasure localization? i want to sell the maps.
Also, any tips for
Astarte
?

Hi, I have a doubt regarding the treasure maps Do they have another use apart to indicate the treasure localization? i want to sell the maps.
The maps are only good for the location, you can sell them.
Also, any tips for
Astarte
?
Bring out Mars and use demon rage (from Gazer level 16) on her. If the formation changes are a problem, remember that you can precast whistle to prevent it. Depending on your party, you might want to start out with a defensive demon like Chronus, buff/debuff up and then switch to Mars when you are ready to attack.

Yo93

The maps are only good for the location, you can sell them.

Bring out Mars and use demon rage (from Gazer level 16) on her. If the formation changes are a problem, remember that you can precast whistle to prevent it. Depending on your party, you might want to start out with a defensive demon like Chronus, buff/debuff up and then switch to Mars when you are ready to attack.

Thanks!

Uthred

So is there any point keeping the items that have gold stars on their rank? Theyre unique right? But the stats on the lower level ones quickly get outmatched

Top Bottom