• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon Gaze |OT| Even heroes have to pay rent

Just ordered this yesterday.

Don't have high expectations but willing to give it a shot. A lot of the praise seems to be for characters and story, which are the last things I care about in a dungeon crawler.

ZeroAKA

imma borrow this for a little bit!
That one was already taken, but here are two alternate avatars if you still want to use Pinay:
ih5FWKoX4l4cj.png
ijn6gSVLy4QJp.png

I love First Person Dungeon Crawlers.
Give this game to me now.

If Stranger of the Village of the Sword doesn't come out here, I'll blame all of you who picked the crappy Conception II over this.

Quixzlizx

I picked up Conception II yesterday, but I think I'm just going to shelve it for now and wait for my Demon Gaze LE to arrive. This is the dungeon crawler I've been looking forward to.

so if I grew up on these first person dungeon crawlers, and I liked wizardy labyrinth of lost souls, I should totally get this right?

also fucking NIS making my decision to go digital way harder than it needs to be. The LE for this looks awesome

Raggie

Yeah the other Elminage titles are great due to being the closest thing to wizardry mechanics wise, but its really a niche series unfortunately. Am curious as to how the first one did sales wise in the West. With all the bugs and everything. But from what I understand there were patches released that fixed some of the issues and such.

Patched Elminage: Original was a great game. Judging from the fact we didn't get any of the sequels, I'm guessing it didn't do great. It really is a pity.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Patched Elminage: Original was a great game. Judging from the fact we didn't get any of the sequels, I'm guessing it didn't do great. It really is a pity.

I think for the most part in comparison to other games that have come out, the dungeons looked pretty shit. lol. Unless someone was a hardcore wizardry / dungeon crawler type of fan, they would give the title wide berth based off of footage / pics. Even I generally thought that while playing the games and am one of the more hardcore wizardry genre fans here on GAF.

Its odd too considering the US is where Wizardry was born and all that. So you would think that there would be a large enough pool of potential consumers for such titles.

so if I grew up on these first person dungeon crawlers, and I liked wizardy labyrinth of lost souls, I should totally get this right?

also fucking NIS making my decision to go digital way harder than it needs to be. The LE for this looks awesome

From one fan of the genre to another yes. Odd fanservice stuff aside its a pretty enjoyable game as a dungeon crawler.

----

Some Demon avatars done by the Japanese artist えるる (Erl).
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Erl/

Resized these down to 120 x 120. Seems like it works when having tested it earlier.
DWtjryR.jpg
qEqJ97d.jpg
eCbgrYD.jpg
ql6Opzz.jpg
TPXbKiP.jpg

Sorry bout the larger image size here, but figured its better for those who want to edit these to have a transparent background.

I think for the most part in comparison to other games that have come out, the dungeons looked pretty shit. lol. Unless someone was a hardcore wizardry / dungeon crawler type of fan, they would give the title wide berth based off of footage / pics. Even I generally thought that while playing the games and am one of the more hardcore wizardry genre fans here on GAF.
Yeah the dungeons looked and ran like total ass.
But the excellent art more than made up for it.

Parakeetman

Yeah the dungeons looked and ran like total ass.
But the excellent art more than made up for it.

I wonder how many people survived the roaches in the ruins hahaha. Back on the original PS2 version that was one of the longest and most insane fights I ever had due to them constantly refilling the rows that I would be killing during the battle. INSANE amount of EXP though if you survive.

Will there be a Vita demo for this?

The JP version did not have a demo. So with that in mind will have to see what NISA will do as am not familiar with the US side of things.

Malreyn

After watching that 6 min Jp gameplay video, I'm definitely interested now. Just one thing Im curious on is that the leveling/stay raising system looks to be similar to Agarest War...

does anyone if this game requires you to stack vitality early in just like that game? just out of curiosity...

I wonder how many people survived the roaches in the ruins hahaha. Back on the original PS2 version that was one of the longest and most insane fights I ever had due to them constantly refilling the rows that I would be killing during the battle. INSANE amount of EXP though if you survive.

They're a great mid-game farming spot.

IIRC flame rods are excellent for cooking them.

Parakeetman

After watching that 6 min Jp gameplay video, I'm definitely interested now. Just one thing Im curious on is that the leveling/stay raising system looks to be similar to Agarest War...

does anyone if this game requires you to stack vitality early in just like that game? just out of curiosity...

Yes putting in stats points is all on the player. Which also means you can screw up your own characters if you are not paying attention to which stats do what.

In my actual current save for the game, the paladin chick has mostly vit with some STR for damage output. The main character I had specced out for AGI / STR.

They're a great mid-game farming spot.

IIRC flame rods are excellent for cooking them.

Back then I was still new to the game and had wandered into that zone just because it was on the map and didnt go there before. Its fights like that which I love. Massive overwhelming numbers, which is why have always been disappointed by the other wizardry type of games that lowered the monster count to like 3 and such with no rows. Just does not give the same fear of death outside of the boss fights usually.

Shengar

Back then I was still new to the game and had wandered into that zone just because it was on the map and didnt go there before. Its fights like that which I love. Massive overwhelming numbers, which is why have always been disappointed by the other wizardry type of games that lowered the monster count to like 3 and such with no rows. Just does not give the same fear of death outside of the boss fights usually.

Once I had a fight with three rows of reinforcement in SMT IV. Feels good man because its tense as hell.

Raggie

Its odd too considering the US is where Wizardry was born and all that. So you would think that there would be a large enough pool of potential consumers for such titles.

In my experience most of those people don't own handhelds, and avoid Japanese games in general.

Oh sheesh, the roaches! I just ended up running.

I know I'm not going to enjoy this much since I'm not a big fan of first person dungeon crawlers but I'm getting it anyway.

I don't like first-person dungeon crawlers either and I spend already too much on gaming lately so I won't... oh who am i kidding I will so buy it for the art alone :(

chrono01

Thanks for the OT! I'm really excited for this one. It feels like I've had the Limited Edition pre-ordered for a while now.

[I don't even own a Vita yet. ;_;]

Parakeetman

Cautiously optimistic about this one. Would be cool if it's actually a good game, but I dunno...

If you like Wizardry / EO type of games then yes I would consider it a good game. As it provides enough challenge, yet at the same time its not something that is a bit too niche and would shut out folks who are not familiar with the basics rules of Wizardry such as what Elminage does for example.

The supporting characters with the story are colorful and amusing enough to help one with progressing in the game to see what happens in the story also. Sure there is fan service type of scenes and what not, but with that aside its one of my highly ranked titles in the genre.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
If you like Wizardry / EO type of games then yes I would consider it a good game. As it provides enough challenge, yet at the same time its not something that is a bit too niche and would shut out folks who are not familiar with the basics rules of Wizardry such as what Elminage does for example.

The supporting characters with the story are colorful and amusing enough to help one with progressing in the game to see what happens in the story also. Sure there is fan service type of scenes and what not, but with that aside its one of my highly ranked titles in the genre.

I hope so because the art and fan service-y things are huge turn offs.
I just want a decent RPG/crawler.

chrono01

don't you have turn 7 to grind out
Not for a little more than an hour!

That gives me plenty of time to browse these forums! Well, I need to actually find time to grab something to eat before we begin, since our raid will likely last a couple several hours.

Away I go!

Been sick and playing vita and I must say really enjoying this game. Its already starting to kick my ass. Seems some grinding is in order to progress, or Im just doing it wrong. Graphically its very colorful, and loving the art. Battles are extremely fast. Also I can already see myself saying..." the rent is too damn high!"

Parakeetman

I hope so because the art and fan service-y things are huge turn offs.
I just want a decent RPG/crawler.

Problem is these days, there is not too many pure dungeon crawlers that dont rely on some sort of "attractive" art to lure folks in. Its why the Elminage series for example stayed quite niche for the most part. Its not like Starfish cares considering thats what they have been doing for a while. But still.

Meikyuu Cross Blood Infinity was a lot less with the fanservice and a bit more serious in tone. That was also on the Vita. But no words of localization. Dont think it will come to the west also as Tokyo New World Record: Operation Abyss should take the place of that being the "updated" game in the series. But we still have yet to see if it will go the fan service route or not. Hopefully not for the most part, as that wasnt the selling point of the Generation Xth series and such which it was based off of for example.

(this game - not my footage)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSkG59SCu4Y

The older possibly outdated trailer for Operation Abyss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoZyUWCnHCs

This was posted earlier in the thread, but hopefully the US / West will be getting it also eventually. Stranger of Sword City. From the look of the trailer it should be more of what you are looking for in general hopefully.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VPSTCGZUrk

Been sick and playing vita and I must say really enjoying this game. Its already starting to kick my ass. Seems some grinding is in order to progress, or Im just doing it wrong. Graphically its very colorful, and loving the art. Battles are extremely fast. Also I can already see myself saying..." the rent is too damn high!"

Generally with the Wizardry type of games yeah grinding is part of the formula as everything is stats based, which means need to be at least X level to be able to deal with monsters as the game progresses. Off the top of my head I dont recall anything similar to "metal slimes" for example, so its really more just killing anything and everything. The plus is how fast you can skip with the battles though. Also on the upside too you get more gems to use in the summoning circles for items & gear. Plus items & gear to use / sell / scrap to upgrade existing equipment.

I might not buy this right away; Etrian Odyssey Untold is also really soon and that takes priority, but my Vita definitely needs a first person dungeon crawler because they're the best.

I randomly got really excited for this game last week. I'm pretty much skipping out Conception 2 and getting Demon Gaze instead, also while I'm waiting for DG I'm gonna try and finish up Deception IV. From what I've heard from people I know who imported it, the game sounds really good.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Problem is these days, there is not too many pure dungeon crawlers that dont rely on some sort of "attractive" art to lure folks in. Its why the Elminage series for example stayed quite niche for the most part. Its not like Starfish cares considering thats what they have been doing for a while. But still.

Meikyuu Cross Blood Infinity was a lot less with the fanservice and a bit more serious in tone. That was also on the Vita. But no words of localization. Dont think it will come to the west also as Tokyo New World Record: Operation Abyss should take the place of that being the "updated" game in the series. But we still have yet to see if it will go the fan service route or not. Hopefully not for the most part, as that wasnt the selling point of the Generation Xth series and such which it was based off of for example.

(this game - not my footage)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSkG59SCu4Y

The older possibly outdated trailer for Operation Abyss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoZyUWCnHCs

This was posted earlier in the thread, but hopefully the US / West will be getting it also eventually. Stranger of Sword City. From the look of the trailer it should be more of what you are looking for in general hopefully.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VPSTCGZUrk

Thanks for that last link. It does look excellent, and that kind of art I really enjoy.
Hopefully someone brings it over.

ZeroAKA

I just want every single one of those Vita dungeon crawlers to be localized eventually. Go support this game, people!

Parakeetman

Thanks for that last link. It does look excellent, and that kind of art I really enjoy.
Hopefully someone brings it over.

There was another one called Students of Round done by the exact same company. And apparently there is a very thin connection between Demon Gaze and Students of the Round. This came out in Japan for the PC, X360, PSP.

Long gameplay footage (not mine) heres a link from where it shows some dungeon footage. Also you will notice that enemy types are the same too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6qU22P81CA#t=1208

I just want every single one of those Vita dungeon crawlers to be localized eventually. Go support this game, people!

I swear if my Japanese was like to native level, I would so try to get a job with Experience Inc. Id literally work in my free time on translating their stuff in my off hours from the company, not to mention helping market it as this is one of my favorite genres seriously. Since man seriously they could further push the revolution with more titles out thats for sure. With how they have been lately too its pretty obvious that they want to continue the genre. Am wondering if this is their experiment with the West to see how their title(s) would do.

Shengar

Damn, no luck finding Demon Gaze LE in my area :(
I swear if my Japanese was like to native level, I would so try to get a job with Experience Inc. Id literally work in my free time on translating their stuff in my off hours from the company, not to mention helping market it as this is one of my favorite genres seriously. Since man seriously they could further push the revolution with more titles out thats for sure. With how they have been lately too its pretty obvious that they want to continue the genre. Am wondering if this is their experiment with the West to see how their title(s) would do.

I always thought you were a native Japanese lol

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Playing too many other games right now but I will play this eventually... loved EO and I could enjoy some fanservice.

Top Bottom