• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon Gaze |OT| Even heroes have to pay rent

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
How are the dungeons in this? Outside of random battles is there stuff to do?

In what sense? The dungeons are varied and come with the standard things like damage panels, spin panels, one way, no magic zones, dark zones, switches etc. There are also hidden walls which can be seen if you have the starting demon equipped as her passive ability allows you to see hidden walls. Which are represented by a pink circle.

There are also hidden items that can be found by kicking the walls. You will find treasure maps too that give you a hint to a location where a hidden item can be found.

Things like subquests will appear too from when back at the inn.

If what you are asking if the are the dungeons varied? Then the answer would be yes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I suppose only the US/EU versions have dual language - not the Japanese version? And what is the price for the UK?

Parakeetman

I suppose only the US/EU versions have dual language - not the Japanese version? And what is the price for the UK?

Yes the Japanese version does not contain any sort of English in it. Came out quite a while ago too. Jan 2013 for the JP ver.

MidBoss

Btw i "fixed" your avatar as best as I could. seeing those white jaggies were driving me insane.

Vr4rzqH.png

Thank you! I'ts been bothering me for some time.

Parakeetman

Well damn Im stuck and no idea what to do next. Hmmmmm. Anyone else play ing this and far in?

If I remember and its not past like where I was in the game before having lost all my data during transferring from my OG card to my 64 GB one might be able to help out. Its been a while though, since have not tried to totally recreate where I was in the game since I lost the data around the time when the 64 GB cards first came out.

If I remember and its not past like where I was in the game before having lost all my data during transferring from my OG card to my 64 GB one might be able to help out. Its been a while though, since have not tried to totally recreate where I was in the game since I lost the data around the time when the 64 GB cards first came out.

I completed the JP version and remember it fairly well. If you get stuck, I may be able to help.

Well I recovered 4 demons. There its a few places I can go but no ideas how to proceed.
One place is the caves which lead to different areas, another is under water, I found two things to activate but can't seem to find anymore, and in the graveyard level there is a exit to another god area but it's all locked.
Really stumped at this point. Any help would be awesome.

Parakeetman

Well I recovered 4 demons. There its a few places I can go but no ideas how to proceed.
One place is the caves which lead to different areas, another is under water, I found two things to activate but can't seem to find anymore, and in the graveyard level there is a exit to another god area but it's all locked.
Really stumped at this point. Any help would be awesome.

Did you fight Neptune already? Or more importantly before that you already did the quest required to actually enter the underwater dungeon right?
The 息吹のヴェール quest given to you by the Elf Lezerem, which is you take the keys of Mars, Chronos and Hermes to him and he creates the Veil for you. So basically to clear that quest all you had to do was clear the 星樹のとばり dungeon by defeating Hermes.
Since its sounding like you have not beat the under water dungeon? Which is the place filled with
no magic use + one way panels and after that I do believe takes you into the castle where you will be fighting against Jupiter. You will need to bring healing items and the return to town items.
The other area which you are talking about the graveyard wont be unlocked for a while yet I think if I remember correctly.

Ok also
Have you met that weird looking fish person who gives you a letter? If you have seen that event in the dungeon you take that letter back to Prometh which gives you a new quest, which you wont be able to complete till you clear the underwater dungeon that leads into the castle. but you get a story related item an elevator lever also a prometh statue.

Also use this site if you want a map of the underwater dungeon which will help you with the flow of the water and such.

So lets see you should have
Comet, Mars, Chronos, Hermes
then if you have 4 demons.

Did you fight Neptune already? Or more importantly before that you already did the quest required to actually enter the underwater dungeon right?
The 息吹のヴェール quest given to you by the Elf Lezerem, which is you take the keys of Mars, Chronos and Hermes to him and he creates the Veil for you. So basically to clear that quest all you had to do was clear the 星樹のとばり dungeon by defeating Hermes.
Since its sounding like you have not beat the under water dungeon? Which is the place filled with
no magic use + one way panels and after that I do believe takes you into the castle where you will be fighting against Jupiter. You will need to bring healing items and the return to town items.
The other area which you are talking about the graveyard wont be unlocked for a while yet I think if I remember correctly.

Ok also
Have you met that weird looking fish person who gives you a letter? If you have seen that event in the dungeon you take that letter back to Prometh which gives you a new quest, which you wont be able to complete till you clear the underwater dungeon that leads into the castle. but you get a story related item an elevator lever also a prometh statue.

Also use this site if you want a map of the underwater dungeon which will help you with the flow of the water and such.

So lets see you should have
Comet, Mars, Chronos, Hermes
then if you have 4 demons.
Sweet. Thanks for that map. I will give that a go tommorrow and come back with my results. As for everything else you mention, yes you have do that side quest to be able to go under. Also I did speak to the other character there you mentioned. I could swear I searched everywhere on my map but looking at what you posted it seems I must have missed something. Also how far into the game would you say I am at this point?

Parakeetman

Sweet. Thanks for that map. I will give that a go tommorrow and come back with my results. As for everything else you mention, yes you have do that side quest to be able to go under. Also I did speak to the other character there you mentioned. I could swear I searched everywhere on my map but looking at what you posted it seems I must have missed something. Also how far into the game would you say I am at this point?

About 50% Id say

Parakeetman

Thanks. Also I figured out I was missing a hidden door with that map. I tried doing the first battle with the demon but she got me. I barely escaped alive. I went back to the inn and saved. Ill have to try in the morning. Thanks again!

Yep no problem. If you run into any other issues let me now and will assist to the best of my abilities. If I dont have comet equipped I literally kick every single new wall I come across as stupid as that sounds lol. Helps with finding the stupid
skulls that prometh wants.

Parakeetman

Kick every wall. Sounds like kings field 2 JP. Secret walls every where.

Man I so miss that series. Really would like to see from software return to that as think they need to step away from the souls series for a while.

Screen shot and info dump. Punch me for sniffing panties if this is bad. (Also, if anyone could tell me how to make this images smaller with code instead of re-uploading them, or hide them until clicked, that would be great...)

Launch Icon
nheycZf.jpg

Launch Page
lpagGIk.jpg

Initial loading screen
7xQ6XXY.jpg

Title Screen
ilUErfG.jpg

Options Screen
WfiLe12.jpg

The Main Character is ALWAYS considered a human male by characters. They always refer to the character as he / him and all the girls / gay guy swoon over him...Yet it only seems to happen in non-voiced text
6c89abg.jpg

Character selection / creation screen. The guy on the right with the blue eye is clearly supposed to be the main character based on dialogue, cutscenes and art in the game.
N5S3ikJ.jpg

Some more "female" characters
UVZ0rDt.jpg

I guess in the Demon Gaze universe this is a "Large Woman"
mr1NH2E.jpg

First demon you encounter, happens almost immediately.
ss5Lz2M.jpg

Apparently undies are an important part of your outfit that you can buy...
JnwBwA7.jpg

My first two characters...when will a game just come out and have them topless? Like just do it...who gives a shit at this point, just look how ridiculous this is...
YJFRRXG.jpg

You can leave Dark Souls-esque notes / tips for people. Thus far I'm assuming these are either perverted defaults or cheeky journalists / game devs. Either way, pretty perverted.
rHRDrIZ.jpg

"You encounter something" how enemies look in the game
VOFzFAB.jpg

"Panty sniffer"
VcgBhbh.jpg

She sleeps in a coffin in the basement...yup...
0bNJnX2.jpg

Initial thoughts

So I don't usually play this kind of game, as I've said. But the game play has you walking in first person around mazes to find floating icons that will reward you with items, battles or secret doors. The combat is turn based and can essentially fast forwarded through by holding x and is rather simplistic thus far (I'm maybe an hour in?) You can capture demons and use them similar to Pokemon, only they do their own things during battle once deployed. Nothing ground breaking.

The graphics are nice, and I like the art style, though the depiction of females is highly problematic. Just the treatment of females in this game in general. As you can see from my screen shots basically everyone is wearing yarn with tea bags on it to cover up their nipples on their giant boobs. Even the girl whom looks to be like 10 is wearing dental floss. And as shown by another poster, there is a scene where you find one of the girls sniffing the panties of another in the game, and you have the option to punch her in response...as a male character. While I do like playing as sexy female characters, I can point out that this is problematic, while still enjoying said art style. Call me a hypocrite or call me a realist. I like tits.

The music is pretty good all around, the game is colorful except for in the dungeons, as they are 3D and kind of meh on textures. There are barely any animations to speak of, as the battles are almost still pictures the whole time, same with conversations.

In all honesty, the more I think about it, the more this feels like a game that could have easily been a $5 mobile game, not a $40 Vita game. It just doesn't feel...valuable? But again, I'm not that far in, this is just my initial impressions.

Parakeetman

Punch me for sniffing panties if this is bad.

Initial thoughts

So I don't usually play this kind of game, as I've said. But the game play has you walking in first person around mazes to find floating icons that will reward you with items, battles or secret doors. The combat is turn based and can essentially fast forwarded through by holding x and is rather simplistic thus far (I'm maybe an hour in?) You can capture demons and use them similar to Pokemon, only they do their own things during battle once deployed. Nothing ground breaking.

The graphics are nice, and I like the art style, though the depiction of females is highly problematic. Just the treatment of females in this game in general. As you can see from my screen shots basically everyone is wearing yarn with tea bags on it to cover up their nipples on their giant boobs. Even the girl whom looks to be like 10 is wearing dental floss. And as shown by another poster, there is a scene where you find one of the girls sniffing the panties of another in the game, and you have the option to punch her in response...as a male character. While I do like playing as sexy female characters, I can point out that this is problematic, while still enjoying said art style. Call me a hypocrite or call me a realist. I like tits.

The music is pretty good all around, the game is colorful except for in the dungeons, as they are 3D and kind of meh on textures. There are barely any animations to speak of, as the battles are almost still pictures the whole time, same with conversations.

In all honesty, the more I think about it, the more this feels like a game that could have easily been a $5 mobile game, not a $40 Vita game. It just doesn't feel...valuable? But again, I'm not that far in, this is just my initial impressions.

Truthfully if one is going to do a review of something they should either at least understand the genre that they are reviewing or dont do it at all. Dont just review something to fluff content for whatever site it is one is running / a part of.

That and that last comment of yours says to me anyways to be sure to not read anything in the future you might write. As you just made yourself look pretty silly considering you stated you are not familiar with the genre yet go and try to slap a price on that compounded by your lack of substantial play time. Sure you acknowledge that yourself but it still does not save the negative impression you have just given by the commentary in that last paragraph.

One last thing, the pokemon comparison yeah, no. Reason being is you just gave the reader in incorrect impression of the game and its mechanics.

*Edit also lets see, while I know its not a review what you are doing here at the same time do hope if you are going to turn it into one you really do take a bit more time to actually pick and choose what kind of comparisons you are giving. As since its a niche market that usually follow these types of games, basically you will be speaking to folks who are familiar with the title more often than those who are not. When one starts to say a bunch of things that do not make sense to said group expect a lot of flak. And for those who are unfamiliar with the title the last thing you want to do is make incorrect comparisons to something therefore misleading them into what the title actually is / how the game mechanics are.

The problem with your price commentary at the end is that lots of folks familiar with the genre know the amount of play time and content that is usually provided by these types of games and how much they generally have been priced in the past. When one says something like with what you did there with the price and design shows basically a lack of understanding for the genre and / or unrealistic expectations, which is compounded by how you stated too that you have not spent much time with the title yet so its an early impression.

Raggie

It's definitely problematic in the sense it'll limit the game's appeal. I'm sure the above screenshots are a bonus to a lot of people, but the fan service is going to be off-putting to others.

It's not a deal-breaker for me, but I have to say the stuff above is pretty ridiculous and I'll probably be rolling my eyes a lot. Oh, Japan.

ZeroAKA

I don't really like fanservice much either, but the art is nice enough and the gameplay looks solid. That's all that matters to me in a dungeon-crawler.

In all honesty, the more I think about it, the more this feels like a game that could have easily been a $5 mobile game, not a $40 Vita game.
Pre-order canceled.
Not really.

The more I hear about the game, the better it sounds.

I came for the pantsu sniffing, I stayed for the dungeon crawling.

I respect you opinion and REALLY appreciate the pics! But saying that Demon Gaze is a 5 dollar game doesn't seem to give it any justice, have you played Dungeon Crawlers before? This seems like one of the best that have come out in a while. Dungeon Crawlers usually are packed with content and stuff to do and they have a fairly niche but dedicated fan base that certainly don't think they are worth only 5 dollars.

ohlawd

Dungeon Crawlers usually are packed with content and stuff to do and they have a fairly niche but dedicated fan base that certainly don't think they are worth only 5 dollars.

I would bitch if someone came up to me and told EOIV was worth only 5 bones. Like, fuck that :p

The fan service stuff is off putting to me but the game looks fun despite all that.

Plus I really really want more "experience" first person dungeon crawlers to come out here.

In what sense? The dungeons are varied and come with the standard things like damage panels, spin panels, one way, no magic zones, dark zones, switches etc. There are also hidden walls which can be seen if you have the starting demon equipped as her passive ability allows you to see hidden walls. Which are represented by a pink circle.

There are also hidden items that can be found by kicking the walls. You will find treasure maps too that give you a hint to a location where a hidden item can be found.

Things like subquests will appear too from when back at the inn.

If what you are asking if the are the dungeons varied? Then the answer would be yes.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. Traps/puzzles/secrets etc, stuff that makes exploration interesting. Should be a staple of the genre, but you never know.

Sounds good, thanks for the info!

I wonder if the niche fanbase in the west only wants fanservice games, so that is what localizers bring over, or it Japan simply doesn't make anything besides fanservicey games these days

That just leaves one question - should I sniff panties or make babies this month? Keep in mind I already set aside enough money to strip vampires later this year

I didn't write my impressions as a grizzled veteran of dungeon crawling nor did I claim to. But already the game felt light on content and a bit repetitive. Are there people that love the genre? Sure. Are there people that love games you hate? Yup. I'm writing my personal opinion about something, not "What would a hardcore fan think" plus this wasn't a review just initial impressions. I don't need to make a recommendation yet, but I do feel like the game is structured and plays very similar to many mobile games these days, which makes me feel that $40 is pretty expensive.

I wonder if the niche fanbase in the west only wants fanservice games, so that is what localizers bring over, or it Japan simply doesn't make anything besides fanservicey games these days

That just leaves one question - should I sniff panties or make babies this month? Keep in mind I already set aside enough money to strip vampires later this year

For me, I just want games that are fun and challenging with good art and music.
I think Japan not making much outside of fanservicey stuff anymore is one big problem.
But fanservice type games have their fans in the west. I would be happy if that stuff was all stripped out, honestly.

Parakeetman

There are a lot of other Wizardry titles out there, but a good number of them were never brought over. Or like a single title and the rest in the series never were. For the more serious type of Wizardry games the Elminage series. But until they make some sort of collection on the PSV or a new game dont think anyone is going to bring out more of the PSP ones.

There was also Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls which was released in the west. No idea how it did though. And its the older version of the game since in Japan they had 2 different titles the updated one adds new races fairy and felpurr and changes the dwarf male character graphic to look more like what people usually expect the dwarf race to be. (old grizzled stocky badass) along with other graphical design changes to the previously existing races.

http://www.wizardryps3.com/

For the most part though those fan service games are being made also as they generally do not require as large of a budget for titles that try to hit on all bases to gain market share. Its targeted marketing in otherwords. Thankfully though there are lots of other titles out there, but the problem being is that not everything is getting localized for Western release. So what you see is a small window of what exists.

Saphirax

This problem extends to anime as well. The Japanese industry is rife with people shoving as much fanservice as possible into their works - it's downright ridiculous. Of course, there are exceptions to that.

Although I do have to say, I find video games to be more tolerable than anime when it comes to fanservice.

Regardless - I've preordered Demon Gaze and am looking forward to playing it.

Uthred

I didn't write my impressions as a grizzled veteran of dungeon crawling nor did I claim to. But already the game felt light on content and a bit repetitive. Are there people that love the genre? Sure. Are there people that love games you hate? Yup. I'm writing my personal opinion about something, not "What would a hardcore fan think" plus this wasn't a review just initial impressions. I don't need to make a recommendation yet, but I do feel like the game is structured and plays very similar to many mobile games these days, which makes me feel that $40 is pretty expensive.

Could you suggest some specific mobile titles that its similar to as I'd love to have a look at them? As DG appears to have a similar amount of content and playtime as other popular dungeon crawlers, Might & Magic X, Etrian Odyssey, etc. do you feel that all those titles should also be priced around $5? In general do you think $5 is a fair price for a game that offers around 30-40 hours of play?

Well it makes sense that the lack of animations and such would make you feel this is some mobile phone drivel but in reality that's just how most of these first person dungeon crawlers are. Its what the fan base expects. You fight sometimes 8 or more enemies in one battle, all very fast paced, and explore dungeons, with very little character development from your allies but more from the people around you in the hub. I can't speak for sure, but most likely you wouldn't enjoy any of these types of games. With similar complaints for them. Also the game gets challenging, and pretty quick with very little hand holding. So... be prepared. Ill admit I've never beat other games I have played in this genre but this one hooked me big time. The plot revelation that occurs somewhat early on was nice as well... but No spoilers :) I hope you find enjoyment out of it but it most likely isn't for you.

Kieli

Parakeetman, you are asking him to do put more work into writing a forum post than I do in studying for my final exams....

I mean...

Parakeetman

Parakeetman, you are asking him to do put more work into writing a forum post than I do in studying for my final exams....

I mean...

Dude either apparently runs or works for a gaming site. Therefore writes reviews. If how he posts here is any sort of indication of said writing let alone mindset / attitude, I sure as hell would not want to read anything written there.

With that in mind is where the grilling came from with the post.

Others who are familiar with me and my usual asshole personality know that I do help out folks new to unfamiliar genres and whatnot but that only comes if said person seems to be reasonable about things. Asides from that I dont want to waste my own time convincing someone who has a bunch of odd misconceptions otherwise.

That and if he really is serious about writing about gaming, what he says review or not will be looked at under a microscope, so dude better get used to dealing with all sorts of comments on his views of a topic discussed.

Are there any good mobile Wizardry-style RPGs?

Admittedly I'm not familiar with the platform.

Mobile as in smartphones for example? Unfortunately I only know of 1 and it seems to be Japan only currently. Its done by the same folks who were behind the Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls game Acquire.
http://www.acquire.co.jp/smartphone/wizardry/ The JP site.

Upon clicking on the link it seems there are other classic wizardry titles on the android store for example, but problem being again that this is the Japanese android store so am not certain if they have been localized or not. Best bet is try just punch "Wizardry" in for your search query and hopefully things will pop up in the app or android store. Its hilarious seeing the real old school wizardry which is b&w wireframe dungeons.

For those who want PC titles stumbled across this recently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF8sx2XA-qY&feature=youtu.be

Also heres a gamasutra article with more links to other Wizardry PC stuff.
http://gamasutra.com/view/pressrele...ries_Comes_to_Steam_Courtesy_of_NightDive.php

vocab

No, but the best first person dungeon crawler on the ios is easily SMT1. Legend of grimrock was suppose to be on ios but I dont think that ever came out or cancelled because it did really well on pc.

Raggie

I know a couple of gridders for mobiles, but they aren't quite like Wizardry. They're fairly short and don't have that much depth to them, but they are fun for a casual dungeon romp.

There's Undercroft for the iPhone, it's free. There's Doom 2 RPG, also for the iPhone. Then there's Orcs & Elves 1 and 2 for Android.

I'm pretty sure there's more, but I don't think terribly noteworthy ones.

No, but the best first person dungeon crawler on the ios is easily SMT1. Legend of grimrock was suppose to be on ios but I dont think that ever came out or cancelled because it did really well on pc.

Yeesh.
Well so much for that I suppose, thanks.

I already have Grimrock on PC anyway(wasn't particularly feeling it either).

I know a couple of gridders for mobiles, but they aren't quite like Wizardry. They're fairly short and don't have that much depth to them, but they are fun for a casual dungeon romp.

There's Undercroft for the iPhone, it's free. There's Doom 2 RPG, also for the iPhone. Then there's Orcs & Elves 1 and 2 for Android.

I'm pretty sure there's more, but I don't think terribly noteworthy ones.

I recall hearing of a couple of those. Yeah they probably wouldn't do it for me.

Maybe I'll pick up one of the 3DS Etrian Odysseys while I seek out a good Vita 2000 deal. Honestly though that series is pretty up and down for me. (Didn't bother to get past the second floor in EO1, beat EO2, got sick of EO3 after a few hours)

Raggie

Right, I forgot about SMT1.

Grimrock for the iPad was in the making, but got cancelled.

Parakeetman

How would this game fare in comparison to EO, SMT:SJ or Dungeon Travelers 2? (i liked all of those).

Id say pick it up if you enjoyed those. Nice to see another fan of Dungeon Travelers 2, considering I think you might be the only other person I can remember currently who has mentioned the name besides me. Well asides from folks who giggle OOOH BOOBIES and convo ends there. Though just do not expect as detailed as character development / dialog as the Dungeon Travelers series though. As thats one thing Dungeon Travelers does excellent.

NICE! Good call on that totally forgot about SMT1!

Yeesh.
Well so much for that I suppose, thanks.

I already have Grimrock on PC anyway(wasn't particularly feeling it either).

I recall hearing of a couple of those. Yeah they probably wouldn't do it for me.

Maybe I'll pick up one of the 3DS Etrian Odysseys while I seek out a good Vita 2000 deal. Honestly though that series is pretty up and down for me. (Didn't bother to get past the second floor in EO1, beat EO2, got sick of EO3 after a few hours)

Hmmm if thats the case would suggest holding off on another EO game. Since know how you feel well bout the getting sick part, its why I didnt beat the last release as just went through way too much already. Also since the etrian odyssey untold was a return to the first game all of the more interesting character classes were gone too. I think had enjoyed 3 the most due to the classes. But you could make some real broken class combinations with the sub job system that kinda broke the game lol. 4 is a little less of a pain in the ass with the airship system than the boat one in EO3 though. Multiplayer in EO3 with fighting bosses was pretty cool.

Anyways it seems like if this goes well with the sales Experience Inc and hopefully NISA will be able to bring out the other titles. Such as the upcoming Tokyo New World Record: Operation Abyss and Stranger of Sword City when its released. Though wonder about Operation Abyss since the game is under a different publishes Mages instead of Kadokawa games who published Demon Gaze in Japan. Still not sure who the publisher will be for the Vita version of SoSC.

vocab

I will say this one might be easier to pick up and play. I like the idea of EO, but I'm not too big on the map making aspect. Eo4 is pretty cheap right now so it's not a bad pick up, but I can tell something about those games are turning you off from completing one.

In all honesty I would rather play soul hackers over EO, but I'm biased as hell.

Puru

Id say pick it up if you enjoyed those. Nice to see another fan of Dungeon Travelers 2, considering I think you might be the only other person I can remember currently who has mentioned the name besides me. Well asides from folks who giggle OOOH BOOBIES and convo ends there. Though just do not expect as detailed as character development / dialog as the Dungeon Travelers series though. As thats one thing Dungeon Travelers does excellent.

Oki, thanks for the input, i'll give it a roll later in may since i want to finish some visual novels i had on hold for quite some time first.

Parakeetman

I will say this one might be easier to pick up and play. I like the idea of EO, but I'm not too big on the map making aspect. Eo4 is pretty cheap right now so it's not a bad pick up, but I can tell something about those games are turning you off from completing one.

In all honesty I would rather play soul hackers over EO, but I'm biased as hell.

If anything at least it will be a different experience and from what we know of said fellow member they do not appear to mind graphics as much, which is another plus for Soul Hackers since it is dated. But quite the unique experience thats for sure.

Ill have to agree with vocab here, try check out soul hackers instead of EO since it seems you are a little burnt out on the series currently no?

Oki, thanks for the input, i'll give it a roll later in may since i want to finish some visual novels i had on hold for quite some time first.

Glad to be of service and hope you enjoy the game when you pick it up.

Ill have to agree with vocab here, try check out soul hackers instead of EO since it seems you are a little burnt out on the series currently no?
Funny that you mention that.

I just ordered Soul Hackers about a few days ago from Amazon.
Though for whatever reason it's not expected to arrive until somewhere between Monday, May 5, 2014 - Tuesday, May 20, 2014 (wtf?).
Looking forward to it.

Top Bottom