• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon Gaze |OT| Even heroes have to pay rent

Raggie

It seems to me like more people have been waiting for Conception II than this, but Demon Gaze is actually the better game of the two.

Conception II has been getting a very mixed reception, but so far I haven't heard of a single Demon Gaze importer who hasn't been impressed with the game.

vocab

Demon gaze is a sleeper hit in the us simply because its a first person dungeon crawler. The people who get excited for them outside a small amount of handheld users are PC users.
I'm hoping the word of mouth spreads for it. Not sure how well some of the PSP ones did but I think the vita excels with these kind of games and its not like vita has a saturated market of hundreds of other jrpgs. It should do well.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
It seems to me like more people have been waiting for Conception II than this, but Demon Gaze is actually the better game of the two.

Conception II has been getting a very mixed reception, but so far I haven't heard of a single Demon Gaze importer who hasn't been impressed with the game.

Im really not sure what folks see in Conception II. I suppose if they want a character game then its not too bad. But yeah in both categories of story / gameplay demon gaze most def does beat it out personally.

Eusis

Took awhile to bother posting again in here!
If you want something with at least some what of a story and characters Id say play this over the EO games first. At least it feels like you are making more progress towards something with there being a more concrete story than the very sparse bits EO gives you. Am saying this as a fan of the EO games also.
Admittedly story isn't as big of a concern for me now as it was, say, a decade ago (wow crap I won't be able to say that much longer), but it's something I'll keep in mind.
I think for the most part in comparison to other games that have come out, the dungeons looked pretty shit. lol. Unless someone was a hardcore wizardry / dungeon crawler type of fan, they would give the title wide berth based off of footage / pics. Even I generally thought that while playing the games and am one of the more hardcore wizardry genre fans here on GAF.

Its odd too considering the US is where Wizardry was born and all that. So you would think that there would be a large enough pool of potential consumers for such titles.
I do attribute that partially to differences in the game industry here versus Japan, as it seems that the US cranks it to 11 in getting higher sales and making higher budget games. Although it may well just be that what was created here for a minority appealed to a larger number (or ratio anyway) of Japanese players. Nevermind some aspects like art style (and apparently at least on objectionable scene in this case) and platform may break apart from what people here would want and where they would be, it would be little surprised if Might & Magic X grossly outsold this game.
Im really not sure what folks see in Conception II. I suppose if they want a character game then its not too bad. But yeah in both categories of story / gameplay demon gaze most def does beat it out personally.
Conception II was always more a curio, hearing the first was subversive got my interest and the fact Atlus decided to pick it up (and the fact it wasn't AS bad as it initially sounded concept-wise), but in the end it just seems to be an average JRPG to be forgotten. Eh, makes things easier really.

Parakeetman

They see Persona.

Dear god I have no idea how they make that connection... lol. Its one of the first games that the battle system actually puts me to sleep as it becomes more of a chore than anything. In the first and second.

Took awhile to bother posting again in here!

Admittedly story isn't as big of a concern for me now as it was, say, a decade ago (wow crap I won't be able to say that much longer), but it's something I'll keep in mind.

I do attribute that partially to differences in the game industry here versus Japan, as it seems that the US cranks it to 11 in getting higher sales and making higher budget games. Although it may well just be that what was created here for a minority appealed to a larger number (or ratio anyway) of Japanese players. Nevermind some aspects like art style (and apparently at least on objectionable scene in this case) and platform may break apart from what people here would want and where they would be, it would be little surprised if Might & Magic X grossly outsold this game.

Conception II was always more a curio, hearing the first was subversive got my interest and the fact Atlus decided to pick it up (and the fact it wasn't AS bad as it initially sounded concept-wise), but in the end it just seems to be an average JRPG to be forgotten. Eh, makes things easier really.

Its just nice to have an actual story and goals with characters who are voiced. Its similar to why I liked the last EO game that came out which was a remake of the first. But with characters and somewhat of a plot, which was nice. As for the rest it was more very sparse bits and make up shit in your head from there. I know thats a bit overly dramatic but its how I usually felt with the games. Still like em for the gameplay anyways.

Someone else commented on one thing about the market and its true that more of the larger audience is indeed on PC and seem to be against "anime games" as they would refer it. Are far more excited by things like the Might & Magic X. Though with that in mind am curious how for example if Experience Inc + NISA released the PC versions of their games on the Steam market for example. Would make an interesting single title experiment to see just what kind of market is out there. Of course these things cost money so its just more wishful thinking than something that would take place.

Yeah Conception in general besides giggling that you are making star babies with the various girls in the game, there really isnt much else to write home about.

Eusis

Dear god I have no idea how they make that connection... lol. Its one of the first games that the battle system actually puts me to sleep as it becomes more of a chore than anything. In the first and second.
Art style, music, school setting, "it's a dating sim" (except more for real this time)... If it looks too close to something I usually suspect second rate imitation though. And at any rate the difference is clear with just a little bit of time spent playing the game, even in 3DS demo form.

ReaperXL7

I see Narika...so basically Waifus, but in terms of what I actually want to play Demon Gaze is higher priority. Looks like a great game, and the Vita needs some solid RPGs imo outside of my PS1 favorites (only missing Suicides 2,Star Ocean, and BOF3) it's the one genre it's lacking the most.

Looks like we have a solid amount of them coming here soon though so it's all good.

From what I've played of Conception II, it's not bad, but it's not something I want to play 40+ hours of. Demon Gaze I at least hope holds more staying power.

Parakeetman

From what I've played of Conception II, it's not bad, but it's not something I want to play 40+ hours of. Demon Gaze I at least hope holds more staying power.

One thing that kept me also amused with demon gaze is trying to get better gear from doing loot runs on the circles w/ using the gems. Besides advancing the story further and leveling my characters. Its nice too that the dungeons do each look quite different and have their own themes.

The battle system against most of the scrubs are fairly easy and like in that very quick initial 6 minute video I did you can see how fast skipping through the battles are. On enemies you know will be a pain in the ass, you can just slow things down a bit to think out the fight a little more. Also including the bosses. There are some optional side quests too which has an "interesting" boss fight. That is actually more difficult than most of the bosses you will encounter at the time.

Game can provide a challenge though so its not that everything is super easy. But the stuff like the demon system along with being able to summon one of them into battle along with their active and passive skills, upgraded weapons it does make things a bit easier than the more traditional wizardry games. One thing for sure is you should get your moneys worth time wise.

One game that Id really like to see NIS try to bring, though might be a bit hard as its a little late to the game considering it was a PSP title is Dungeon Travelers 2. While that one is an even larger fanservice mess as a hardcore wizardry fan the company behind it Aqua Plus obviously loves the genre as its an excellent wizardry type of dungeon crawler under the cute girls everywhere outer layer. On top of that the character classes are pretty good, esp after meeting the level reqs your class tree branches off into different choices. The story and characters are enjoyable also. But yeah its a very fan service heavy game. Personally in some ways though I really liked the game more than Demon Gaze as it relies even more so on the use of your characters and their skills and the fights can be pretty challenging. Id consider doing a late Impression Thread as would like to introduce folks to the series since it really is something that is fantastic. If Aqua Plus ever did a non-fan service more serious type of Wizardry title I think it could seriously blow the doors off of most other ones out there. Thats how highly I think of their skills in the genre.

Will get this. Hopefully the localization isn't shit.

Id say with the history of the work NISA does with their localization of JRPGs that you should be fine. Still am real glad that they managed to get their usual which is having dual audio too. Since the Japanese VA work is pretty great I thought. Really gave the characters personality. While I usually dont listen to dub stuff am curious to hear how the English voice work is.

Shengar

The biggest factor that makes me itching to buy it is that the every first print copy is LE. Meanwhile I couldn't find any local seller managed to have Demon Gaze so there's that.
I'm currently holding myself very hard from buying Conception II because my stress level is very high today.

Raggie

I do attribute that partially to differences in the game industry here versus Japan, as it seems that the US cranks it to 11 in getting higher sales and making higher budget games.

Yes, I agree. I think one difference is that Japanese devs see handhelds more as a viable platform for niche hardcore games. You don't see many western games like that on handhelds. I think Japanese gridders have had such an explosion because handhelds are the perfect platform for them. The small development costs make niche games profitable. It's too bad there are hardly any western developed gridders on handhelds. I'm sure remakes of some classics would also find an audience.

Interestingly there's also been a bit of an explosion of western gridders from indie devs too. there's half a dozen of them in development right now. Might & Magic was a curious exception of a large publisher financing a small studio to develop a budget title.

Parakeetman

Yes, I agree. I think one difference is that Japanese devs see handhelds more as a viable platform for niche hardcore games. You don't see many western games like that on handhelds. I think Japanese gridders have had such an explosion because handhelds are the perfect platform for them. The small development costs make niche games profitable. It's too bad there are hardly any western developed gridders on handhelds. I'm sure remakes of some classics would also find an audience.

Interestingly there's also been a bit of an explosion of western gridders from indie devs too. there's half a dozen of them in development right now. Might & Magic was a curious exception of a large publisher financing a small studio to develop a budget title.

What I find interesting is how the old school Shiren / Fushigi no Dungeon type of gameplay style is making its way into western game design again. Like that game with the little red riding hood looking character. Forgot the name unfortunately...

ohlawd

The biggest factor that makes me itching to buy it is that the every first print copy is LE. Meanwhile I couldn't find any local seller managed to have Demon Gaze so there's that.
I'm currently holding myself very hard from buying Conception II because my stress level is very high today.
Don't think that's true?

The standard is 40 while the LE is 50. I looked at the site and the LE's out of stock while the other is still available. Glad I got my LE order in. Has more stuff than my Danganronpa LE had and both are the same price.

ZeroAKA

Don't think that's true?

The standard is 40 while the LE is 50. I looked at the site and the LE's out of stock while the other is still available. Glad I got my LE order in. Has more stuff than my Danganronpa LE had and both are the same price.
He's talking about Conception II. Every first print copy of that game comes with the fancy box and soundtrack.

It really is unfortunate that two niche JRPGs for the same system came out at around the same time.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
He's talking about Conception II. Every first print copy of that game comes with the fancy box and soundtrack.

It really is unfortunate that two niche JRPGs for the same system came out at around the same time.
The box isn't "fancy" though...

Dugna

Got my copy fully paid off (got my paycheck today and bonus :D) So see you all on tuesday for impressions. This game art is pretty also.

Having played Conception II for a handful of hours. I started Demon Gaze and been hooked and haven't put it down.. For me it's leagues better.. It is a huge time sink though.

CrovaxPSO

I bet North Anerican boxes have no manual.

The only things that have been in the NA Vita games I have are online passes or ads, but every import has at least a fold out starter guide and over half of them have actual manuals. To be fair, Japanese prices are higher. The two Experience games both have pretty beefy manuals which is a nice surprise for a relatively small developer.

Eusis

The Japanese release came with a 60 page manual, old school indeed.
Shame that SCEA has seemingly banned manuals from being included with US releases. Especially as I kind of wanted at least one Vita manual for novelty's sake with how small the case is. :/

Not that they would've likely put as much effort into it here, and NISA's been going bilingual for quite awhile and I doubt you could fit the equivalent of 120 page manual in that tiny case.

I'm downloading the game right now for review. Not my type of game from what I can tell, but no one else on my team wanted to review it. (BTW, if anyone wants to write for a gaming site let me know.)

Anywho, I'll give impressions and screenshots as I go if you wish.

I'm downloading the game right now for review. Not my type of game from what I can tell, but no one else on my team wanted to review it. (BTW, if anyone wants to write for a gaming site let me know.)

Anywho, I'll give impressions and screenshots as I go if you wish.

Yes please do!

Are you serious about writing inquiries?

Really interested to read your impressions, seeing as you stated you're not generally interested in these types of games

Yes please do!

Are you serious about writing inquiries?

Really interested to read your impressions, seeing as you stated you're not generally interested in these types of games

Will do! The game is only 463mb it seems.

And I'm serious about writing inquiries. We really need to get people who are dedicated to writing, and an editor or two. Especially if we ever want to go to E3.

vocab

Damn that's a tiny game. Even with the english track its really small. FMV adventure games from the early 90's are bigger than that.

Damn that's a tiny game. Even with the english track its really small. FMV adventure games from the early 90's are bigger than that.

Well don't worry. I got 14 hours in so far and seems Im far from finished. Lots of fighting, leveling, item hunting, the story bits that are in are good just not the focus on this type of rpg obviously. I have been stuck a few times as well but not usually for very long. Im highly enjoying it.

vocab

Well don't worry. I got 14 hours in so far and seems Im far from finished. Lots of fighting, leveling, item hunting, the story bits that are in are good just not the focus on this type of rpg obviously. I have been stuck a few times as well but not usually for very long. Im highly enjoying it.

I never questioned the games length i'm just surprised how small it is. ultima 7 is like 200 hours with the expansion and its 30 megs.

butman

If I'm a huge fan of great quality dungeon crawling games like Etrian Odyssey and Unchained Blade, is this a game to get into or should let it pass?

What I find interesting is how the old school Shiren / Fushigi no Dungeon type of gameplay style is making its way into western game design again. Like that game with the little red riding hood looking character. Forgot the name unfortunately...

Dragon Fin Soup, fresh of a rather successful Kickstarter.

Roguelike sensibilities have always been around in the West, but unlike the Fushigi Dungeon lot of it, didn't really get a foot in the door for commercial success and notoriety until these last few years----just a teeming mass of indie freeware stuff and whatnot.

Dungeon crawlers are in a roughly similar state even if for different reasons and a far more even situation for a good many years pre-2000---Wizardy vacated into Japan and wonderful things happened for years while all is only even more recently starting to perk up with the likes of Grimrock leading off the charge, the sequel, stuff like M&M X, and so on.

Parakeetman

Dragon Fin Soup, fresh of a rather successful Kickstarter.

Roguelike sensibilities have always been around in the West, but unlike the Fushigi Dungeon lot of it, didn't really get a foot in the door for commercial success and notoriety until these last few years----just a teeming mass of indie freeware stuff and whatnot.

Dungeon crawlers are in a roughly similar state even if for different reasons and a far more even situation for a good many years pre-2000---Wizardy vacated into Japan and wonderful things happened for years while all is only even more recently starting to perk up with the likes of Grimrock leading off the charge, the sequel, stuff like M&M X, and so on.

Yep thats the game. Was trying to wrack my brain over it since it was a title that looked like it had nothing to do with the actual game itself lol. Really does look great and was glad to see the genre being made more in the west too. I know of the other PC titles that are out there, but its nice to see an even more advanced looking one graphically and such plus that will be coming out to like the Sony platforms for example. Do look forward to picking that up once its released.

Top Bottom