• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon Gaze |OT| Even heroes have to pay rent

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Would you suggest starting on a higher difficulty or is Normal the way to go for the first play through? (Assuming one is familiar with the genre)

Perhaps, though even if the shipped email didnt go out you'd imagine the order status would have changed or the shipped date would be backdated. Ah well, just a little irritating, not the end of the world. Clearly the digital gods punished me for wanting a physical release ;)

Edit: For some reason when the email said "No link to tracking available" I thought there was no tracking, but after checking the tracking number it looks like you're right, it left the sorting facility last week, presumably at the same time as US orders. Criss of faith averted ;) Still have to wait but if I'm lucky it could be here Friday or early next week.

Normal should be fine. Provides more than enough of a challenge. Hard mode also increases how much you are required to pay with the rent, so might drive you insane unless you dont mind that.

Shengar

Sent in a cancellation request for my order yesterday, decided to switch to digital, a full business day with no response and just got a shipping notice instead. So I suppose I'll be playing this in two to three weeks. Almost certainly the last time I buy anything from NIS. I seem to recall their international service being better in the past.
At least it's two weeks or so, not one month like I am with my Dark Souls 2 CE lol

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Just got destroyed by the first boss I think? ._.
Should I also be using 3 gems on each circle? I feel like I will run out...

vocab

Why?

Oh.

OH.

tumblr_m9t7hr7ABL1renkn2o1_500.gif

Parakeetman

Just got destroyed by the first boss I think? ._.
Should I also be using 3 gems on each circle? I feel like I will run out...

You are supposed to run out. You can get more from random drops after battle. Also buying them at the inn from the Elf I think. Though they are limited in number there. Stock is displayed so you will always know how much is left.

Yes use 3 gems at a time. Its a waste of the circle otherwise. Unless you are trying to save / load / reset to get a particular artifact. You can do that with items too but its kinda pointless as long as you can keep collecting gems.

Also yeah increase your party size.

Rarity of items differs from dungeon to dungeon. The earlier dungeons drop lower level gear and such. Also if you get an item that has a star icon, its a rare item and DONT SELL IT. Since I think how that system worked was that there is just 1 rare item so if you sell it thats it, wont drop again. I think... In anycase dont sell it or turn it into pixie dust by accident.

Parakeetman

Thanks everyone.

I need to get one for whenever Monpiece drops,

That game is so going to cause vitas to launch across the room.
wubqgDJ.gif

If it wasnt for all that crap I would have actually been interested in the game. Seriously the devs are doing themselves a huge disservice by putting in that kind of stupid pointless shit with the touch stuff. Not to mention turn folks off to buying the game. Fanservice graphics are one thing but stuff like that is where a lot of folks draw the line. Same for their previous game also.

CrovaxPSO

That game is so going to cause vitas to launch across the room.
wubqgDJ.gif

If it wasnt for all that crap I would have actually been interested in the game. Seriously the devs are doing themselves a huge disservice by putting in that kind of stupid pointless shit with the touch stuff. Not to mention turn folks off to buying the game. Fanservice graphics are one thing but stuff like that is where a lot of folks draw the line. Same for their previous game also.

Agreed, Monpiece is definitely good enough without the weird minigame. Moero Chronicle has the same thing, but it looks like it'll be a solid dungeon crawler, so I'll probably end up getting it.

Parakeetman

Man, samurai is god tier for grinding.
AOE strikes with debuff weapons=sup yo, dead already?

Basically yeah. Though later on you will want to figure out how to do a more single target specific type of attack pattern too. Seems like there are two different builds one for single targets and the other for exactly what you are doing lol

Its even better when you get an artifact and give the same skill to the main character too.

The best one is the first as the damage reduction is the least. The ones that hit the other rows lowers the damage output even further.

Agreed, Monpiece is definitely good enough without the weird minigame. Moero Chronicle has the same thing, but it looks like it'll be a solid dungeon crawler, so I'll probably end up getting it.

Its unfortunate but I think Ill be giving it a pass. As in general I hate anything that has to do with touch related controls for the most part. Seeing how the vita fapping is required to power up your monster girls and interact with them yeah not all that interested.

Only started this cause other stuff kept coming up.

But I rather liked the presentation of the logos and stuff at the beginning of the game. Nice to just dump you into a dungeon and like have at it.

Razma1

I feel like my save might be messed up ugh.

Beat mars and then I went and gave the soul to Fran and then got to the next boss in the graveyard but every time I go on the boss it says I still have the other spirit and need to turn it into Fran. Problem is I've tried every single chat option on everyone in town and nothing works. Went in and out each level ran around fighting bunch of stuff and finishing all sidequests I could but no change. Am I screwed?

Arcblast

Neo Member

Beat mars and then I went and gave the soul to Fran and then got to the next boss in the graveyard but every time I go on the boss it says I still have the other spirit and need to turn it into Fran. Problem is I've tried every single chat option on everyone in town and nothing works. Went in and out each level ran around fighting bunch of stuff and finishing all sidequests I could but no change. Am I screwed?

Did you try talk to Fran again?

Parakeetman

Oi thats not good, never heard of that before...

So you went to the basement, talked to prometh got the quest from her, then went to see cassel. After that collected 3 nameless gems and handed them over to him? If you already fixed the machine there not quite too sure what else you can do.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Oi thats not good, never heard of that before...

So you went to the basement, talked to prometh got the quest from her, then went to see cassel. After that collected 3 nameless gems and handed them over to him? If you already fixed the machine there not quite too sure what else you can do.
I can confirm that this is what you have to do; I had to do this to progress.

Razma1

Hmm I'll talk to people again and see if something changes. Game is fun tho I want my Disgaea character skins already

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
What are the biggest criticisms most mentioned against the game?

Parakeetman

What are the biggest criticisms most mentioned against the game?

You mean from folks who already have it? Or people who have no idea what they are talking about, which already happened.

One of the common ones here anyways is the "fanservice" stuff.

One complaint on the Japan side that seems to come up was some folks were not happy with the whole "rent" system of having to pay each time you returned to the Inn. Others talked about how they were slightly disappointed by only being able to have only 7 other characters. 4 in rooms 3 on stand-by. As usually with other Wizardry titles you can create quite a large number allowing for more varied parties when you feel like changing things up a bit.

For the most part though over here in Japan its been mainly positive, with just smaller issues brought up. Nothing really serious.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
You mean from folks who already have it? Or people who have no idea what they are talking about, which already happened.

One of the common ones here anyways is the "fanservice" stuff.

One complaint on the Japan side that seems to come up was some folks were not happy with the whole "rent" system of having to pay each time you returned to the Inn.

Obviously not from people who havent played it, only complain about anime and never played a dungeon crawler :p A lot of rent to pay sounds challenging, but not horribly game breaking, same with the party limit.

How about the dungeon /puzzle design? Combat difficulty/depth?

Toma

These reviews are pretty positive, with the expected criticism of the fanservice popping up in all of them. Several of them seem to think the game does a poor job tutorializing.

What does "too much fanservice" even mean? The game isnt based on a certain anime, right? I didnt think you'd need to understand much story wise in a dungeon crawler.

Parakeetman

These reviews are pretty positive, with the expected criticism of the fanservice popping up in all of them. Several of them seem to think the game does a poor job tutorializing.

Very, very few games in the genre give any sort of tutorial. Its called trial by fire.

Obviously not from people who havent played it, only complain about anime and never played a dungeon crawler :p A lot of rent to pay sounds challenging, but not horribly game breaking, same with the party limit.

How about the dungeon /puzzle design? Combat difficulty/depth?

Folks are generally happy with it due to the dungeons are designed differently. While at the same time are not made so maddening that it drives folks away. Like with what Elminage for example could do with the lost swamp. lol Combat difficulty mainly comes from the bosses and a few standard enemies. But thats more from my perspective. Other folks like the amazon reviews say it feels just right for veterans and new players. Plus being able to adjust the difficulty level when you want is great for those who feel it might be too easy or hard. Unlike other games in the genre which come with one setting only.

What does "too much fanservice" even mean? The game isnt based on a certain anime, right? I didnt think you'd need to understand much story wise in a dungeon crawler.

It means the West is filled with a bunch of prudes. Or more people who are constantly putting their own personal beliefs above all else injecting it into said article making it a soap box rather than an objective look at something. While it may not exactly be the case for this it has happened enough times already which we are all familiar with in one way or another. Double standards everywhere!

Raggie

The current Metacritic average is 73%, which is pretty good for a gridder, and a lot better than Conception II. Sadly, I'm fairly sure the latter will outsell Demon Gaze by a large margin.

Wereroku

The current Metacritic average is 73%, which is pretty good for a gridder, and a lot better than Conception II. Sadly, I'm fairly sure the latter will outsell Demon Gaze by a large margin.
I bought both games and I can say this one is the best but sadly this genre is a bit niche. I tried to convince one of my friends to pick it up but he didn't like the first person style even though it it's a great game.

Parakeetman

Pretty good reviews so far. I'd probably buy this on release if it wasn't for the fanservice. I'll likely wait on a sale.

The thing is, its not even that big of a deal considering you are in dungeons most of the time. Just generally the "echo chamber" makes it seem bigger than it really is. That or try to make it seem like it the focus of the game. Which it really isnt.
Now if we were talking about these 2 games Id agree that they have a point.

Moero_Chronicle_boxart.png
Monster_Monpiece_Japanese_video_game_cover_art.jpg

While not as bad as those two titles, Valhalla Knights 3 had a similar stupid system of prodding and poking girls to get bonuses / raise affection with them so they can join as party memebers & open up their side story quest.

Wereroku

I can overlook fanservice really easily for a good game but Monpiece is just really bad I don't want any of that game in my life. Whats sad is apparently the card battling part is really well made.

Parakeetman

I can overlook fanservice really easily for a good game but Monpiece is just really bad I don't want any of that game in my life. Whats sad is apparently the card battling part is really well made.

Yep the "normal" part of the gameplay actually looked good. Which is why its a damned shame they shitted it up with the other crap. Since I love card games and Monpiece looked to be rather unique. Then saw the rest of vita fapping and went
bird-nope-o.gif

Dungeon Travelers 2 is about as far as Ill go. Due to the great characters / voice work and excellent Wizardry based gameplay. As mentioned multiple times now its literally in the top 5 at the moment for Wizardry type of titles in map design and game difficulty. Though the number of enemies you fight at once is a little disappointing would be one complaint of mine. But the boss fights, classes in game, skills and the fact that there is an extra dungeon too along with other things far makes up for the fanservice.

footage from the start of the game w/ some gameplay from the beginning dungeon (not my footage) I suppose you could consider some of the fanservice stuff that appears NSFW.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05nW-eESguk

But seriously once again the game is SOLID. I was hesitant to buy the first one for the same reasons, but once I did was hooked to the series due to the excellent gameplay. Plus the story was amusing also. Real glad that this time they went with an original story rather than base it off of existing characters from the dating sim To Heart 2.

Favorite character in the game Alisia Heart voiced by Ai Kayano.

Its too bad that no one seemed interested in localizing it. Im kinda curious how it would do as a digital only title. Considering the other fanservice type of games that have come out, would make an interesting addition considering. Though would guess that all the VAs and licensing with that would be a problem perhaps. Well that and its a PSP title, so physical is a bit out of the question at this point in the game which leaves digital only.

Parakeetman

You're already playing games with girls' asses in your face. Why have superficial standards, guilt?

Its because most of the time such games usually wind up being fucking garbage as all they have to go on is T&A. Only reason why I bothered with that series is had heard as a wizardry type of game it was actually exceptional.

The one here with guilt would seem to be yourself considering how defensive you are getting over it lol. Play whatever you want in the privacy of your home and really could care less here.

Wereroku

You're already playing games with girls' asses in your face. Why have superficial standards, guilt?
Not guilt in my case Monpiece is just a bit too much and does not seem fun to me. No shaming you if you like it I just wish it was toned down overall. Fan service is ok but sometimes it can take away from the fun of the game.

Parakeetman

Not guilt in my case Monpiece is just a bit too much and does not seem fun to me. No shaming you if you like it I just wish it was toned down overall. Fan service is ok but sometimes it can take away from the fun of the game.

Esp if the "feature" is pretty much a requirement for the game. Which in those two titles it apparently.

I gotta admit I'm intrigued by how all of the enemies in Dungeon Travelers 2 seem to be waifu material.

Lack of localization probably means I'll never get around to it though. I'm too old & impatient to fuss with that stuff anymore.

Parakeetman

I gotta admit I'm intrigued by how all of the enemies in Dungeon Travelers 2 seem to be waifu material.

Lack of localization probably means I'll never get around to it though. I'm too old & impatient to fuss with that stuff anymore.

The story is actually quite good along with the interactions the characters have with the conversations and such. Gives the party the feeling of actually being alive, due to them speaking and such.

Its similar to how your party in EO: Untold feels more alive due to the voice acting and such.

But yeah doubt it will be localized at this point in the game. Esp if the more famous publishers / localization centric companies didnt pick it up already. As they would be the only ones able to do it right Id imagine.

Voiced by Ai Kayano? I LOVE Ai Kayano.

... ahh shit it's not localized.

She does a real good job with Alisia's character. Idol Master fans picked up the game due to Monica's VA being Eriko Nakamura and Tsurara's VA is Asami Shimoda.

Top Bottom