• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon Gaze |OT| Even heroes have to pay rent

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'm probably gonna set up an emulator for shadow tower abyss. Glad to see a fan translation exist.

whatever you do dont go wasting all your ammo right away you will regret it lol. Also take strong note of where the hell you are going or else wind up getting lost like I did when I first played it.

Could you suggest some specific mobile titles that its similar to as I'd love to have a look at them? As DG appears to have a similar amount of content and playtime as other popular dungeon crawlers, Might & Magic X, Etrian Odyssey, etc. do you feel that all those titles should also be priced around $5? In general do you think $5 is a fair price for a game that offers around 30-40 hours of play?

Amount of time =/= quality.

Also, as I've said, I've played an hour so... initial impressions. Already getting tired of the barely there combat, and everything else leaves something to be desired thus far.

RangerBAD

On topic, I have so many games on backlog that I'll have to get this down the line or get it digitally (I really prefer physical).

Parakeetman

On topic, I have so many games on backlog that I'll have to get this down the line or get it digitally (I really prefer physical).

These types of games its much nicer to have physical copies, esp if you are fan of the genre. Having an actual library of all the titles is by far more satisfying to look at. Then when you flip your shit re-buying digital copies, just so you dont have to swap out discs / carts lol

Its why I kinda wished the other pubs. had their shit together so could purchase digital copies also. Really am hoping somewhere down the line (know its not going to happen tho) the PS4 becomes able to play PS2 games.

RangerBAD

These types of games its much nicer to have physical copies, esp if you are fan of the genre. Having an actual library of all the titles is by far more satisfying to look at. Then when you flip your shit re-buying digital copies, just so you dont have to swap out discs / carts lol

Its why I kinda wished the other pubs. had their shit together so could purchase digital copies also. Really am hoping somewhere down the line (know its not going to happen tho) the PS4 becomes able to play PS2 games.

Even with being able to play PS2 games on the PS3, the libraries aren't as robust as they could be. That would carry over to the PS4. I guess some games just aren't compatible though.

Parakeetman

Even with being able to play PS2 games on the PS3, the libraries aren't as robust as they could be.

That and Im still concerned that my OG PS3 isnt going to last forever when that thing goes wont really have any options to play the PS2 titles. As new PS2s are way too expensive over here. On top of that we know used ones are a bit too unreliable to really be dropping cash on. I think the US actually has more PS2 titles digitally than Japan does...

RangerBAD

That and Im still concerned that my OG PS3 isnt going to last forever when that thing goes wont really have any options to play the PS2 titles. As new PS2s are way too expensive over here. On top of that we know used ones are a bit too unreliable to really be dropping cash on. I think the US actually has more PS2 titles digitally than Japan does...

A lot of publishers are probably asking for money Sony doesn't want to pay. Or just Sony not pursuing it. The shortage of SE and other JRPG games is abysmal.

Uthred

I was hoping NIS would ship out the games a little in advance, probably not going to end up getting this for another two weeks at this point.

Amount of time =/= quality.

That feels like a rather odd non sequitur. So thats a no on being able to suggest actual titles for the other mobile games that it plays "very similarly" too? And a no comment on whether you feel similar games offering similar content should also be priced at $5 and, I can only extrapolate based on your non-answer, you dont think that the amount of content available should factor into the price point of a game at all

Anyone else that ordered it from nisa webstore recently? They charged right away, the authorization hold still hasn't been released 9 working days later and now they can't bill me.

Man, the Australian release for this game is so messed up. They delayed it from April 25 to May 8th, and increased the RRP by $10.
I like to support local Vita game releases when possible, but fuck that. Import ahoy!

Between this and the Danganronpa mess, NIS seriously needs to find a new distributor here.

vocab

Cant be worse than play-asia's Russian Roulette free shipping. Unless it was from them you ordered? D:

Nah, amazon. I choose free because I have a fulfillment center right near me. I usually get release day or two day speed. It's never worth the extra money. I also picked up a copy of eternal ring for $9.

Parakeetman

Nah, amazon. I choose free because I have a fulfillment center right near me. I usually get release day or two day speed. It's never worth the extra money. I also picked up a copy of eternal ring for $9.

Im surprised that there are still copies of that game around. Considering its pretty much first gen PS2 title lineup isnt it?

Thats pretty cool you are near a fulfillment center. Man I hate how amazon now doesnt seem to deliver on the launch date at times due to new policy change with shipping or something.

vocab

Im surprised that there are still copies of that game around. Considering its pretty much first gen PS2 title lineup isnt it?

Thats pretty cool you are near a fulfillment center. Man I hate how amazon now doesnt seem to deliver on the launch date at times due to new policy change with shipping or something.

I'm more mad that not only do I get taxed, but I need to spend at least 35 for free shipping. It makes some of those impulse buys under $35 hard to stomach unless there's a seller that offers a better deal.

fedexpeon

Banned
YES!
I might get this on Monday.
The game is just sitting there since 04/18 at my local post office.
I can drive there within 10mins...probably need to call first though.

Eusis

A lot of publishers are probably asking for money Sony doesn't want to pay. Or just Sony not pursuing it. The shortage of SE and other JRPG games is abysmal.
They might also feel there's a ripe opportunity for HD releases they don't want to close off. Probably why we have more PS1 stuff, because if you update those they'd effectively be different games anyway.

Parakeetman

They might also feel there's a ripe opportunity for HD releases they don't want to close off. Probably why we have more PS1 stuff, because if you update those they'd effectively be different games anyway.

I really think its more that the teams dont exist anymore and / or they have no idea about the licensing / rights for stuff used within the older titles. + costs with re-licensing things. So folks who would have been able to bring it over are not around anymore. Though really think for the most part its just companies dont want to deal with making a budget / spare resources to do it.

Zephyx

It's available here in PH. The main gaming store here has released the game the same time as Conception II. And since I have only budget for one, I picked Conception II over this. Hopefully, there are no notable releases for May so I can convince myself to try a first person dungeon crawler. :)

Eusis

I really think its more that the teams dont exist anymore and / or they have no idea about the licensing / rights for stuff used within the older titles. + costs with re-licensing things. So folks who would have been able to bring it over are not around anymore. Though really think for the most part its just companies dont want to deal with making a budget / spare resources to do it.
Well, that's usually an issue that gets worse and worse as time goes on, companies close down, are bought, ect. Which DID happen over the last decade and a half quite clearly (damn, it's been nearly that long since the PS2 launched?) but nowhere near as bad as from during the 8-bit, 16-bit, even 32-bit days. So why do we have more games from those periods than from the PS2 days? I think the PS2 only beats out the N64 VC library, and that's just as much the fact most of the games that aged well and are worth caring about still are from Nintendo, with the worthwhile third party stuff being incredibly sparse and frequently bogged down with licenses (so there goes Goldeneye, the AKI wrestling games, and stuff like Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey.)

Parakeetman

Well, that's usually an issue that gets worse and worse as time goes on, companies close down, are bought, ect. Which DID happen over the last decade and a half quite clearly (damn, it's been nearly that long since the PS2 launched?) but nowhere near as bad as from during the 8-bit, 16-bit, even 32-bit days. So why do we have more games from those periods than from the PS2 days? I think the PS2 only beats out the N64 VC library, and that's just as much the fact most of the games that aged well and are worth caring about still are from Nintendo, with the worthwhile third party stuff being incredibly sparse and frequently bogged down with licenses (so there goes Goldeneye, the AKI wrestling games, and stuff like Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey.)

If you look at the JPSN store anyways, you will see what my issue is with hardly any releases. Its kinda funny how many PS1 titles we have though and odd too considering these are even older than PS2 ones. You would think that software companies would still want to capitalize on the PS2 game sales digitally considering the PS2 isnt produced physically anymore compounded by the price of a "new" system is astronomical. Therefore game sales of physical copies are not exactly pushed forward and stores dont really stock them either asides from mostly used copies. Which as we all know dont give shit back to the developers $$$ wise.

Even the PSP titles they are missing quite a few of the more classic / good games also. Which I find odd.

It's available here in PH. The main gaming store here has released the game the same time as Conception II. And since I have only budget for one, I picked Conception II over this.

tumblr_lso6d2OLz21r0byljo1_250.gif

It's available here in PH. The main gaming store here has released the game the same time as Conception II. And since I have only budget for one, I picked Conception II over this. Hopefully, there are no notable releases for May so I can convince myself to try a first person dungeon crawler. :)

FHDcrBM.jpg

ohlawd

it's baffling to me how first person dungeon crawlers are so looked down upon. A simple change in perspective and it's suddenly a dealbreaker. I'm speaking broadly so I ain't sniping nobody in particular.

Eusis

it's baffling to me how first person dungeon crawlers are so looked down upon. A simple change in perspective and it's suddenly a dealbreaker. I'm speaking broadly so I ain't sniping nobody in particular.
Yeah, it's weird. I admittedly can't claim I was wholly innocent of that in the past, but that was probably when I was like 7 or 8 and perhaps was overwhelmed by renting some of them. That went away when I turned 13 and became interested in Shining the Holy Ark (and the fact that generation of systems were far better equipped for first person exploration) but I guess some never really outgrew that mentality.

Although, I would kind of want a game being closer to that and being more a traditional JRPG played from a first person perspective than something that's pure dungeon crawler. Let us walk around towns in first person, and perhaps dungeons that are mazes but not particularly intricate ones! Though I guess I get my first person towns out of Elder Scrolls at least.
If you look at the JPSN store anyways, you will see what my issue is with hardly any releases. Its kinda funny how many PS1 titles we have though and odd too considering these are even older than PS2 ones. You would think that software companies would still want to capitalize on the PS2 game sales digitally considering the PS2 isnt produced physically anymore compounded by the price of a "new" system is astronomical. Therefore game sales of physical copies are not exactly pushed forward and stores dont really stock them either asides from mostly used copies. Which as we all know dont give shit back to the developers $$$ wise.

Even the PSP titles they are missing quite a few of the more classic / good games also. Which I find odd.
Really makes me wonder what the hold up is. Bad licensing arrangements? Emulation issues? Maybe it'll sort itself out on PS4 if they get a better emulator there.

Parakeetman

Its the general mindset which has always been present against the genre through the ages is that folks just want more visual stimulation. Or just suck at the game causing them to die instantly since its not exactly a genre for idiots.

Its why the genre hasnt really gone mainstream at all. But then as we all know we are perfectly fine with that as long as there are companies who keep producing these with a reasonable development budget allowing for profits to flow in from sales to the niche crowd "us".

Really makes me wonder what the hold up is. Bad licensing arrangements? Emulation issues? Maybe it'll sort itself out on PS4 if they get a better emulator there.

Id say its pretty much everything. Though not sure for example why some atlus stuff in the US exists where it does not in Japan. Kinda odd. I suppose it shows too that folks just not willing to do the footwork internally is another problem. As its not like the game is unable to run. Such as with Raidou for example.

Parakeetman

This is my reason. I really need some pretty sprites or animations in front of me. :(

I thought it was waifus you want infront of you most of the time. Go play Dungeon Travelers 2. "Not Joking". Though no Western release unfortunately. Game has some great voice acting though and by some pretty famous female VAs also. Challenging too. Japanese PSN has it for sale. Seriously is one of the better made wizardry types of games, but the fanservice is through the roof with the title. Regardless of that it still puts to shame some of the other games in the genre just by how well made it is.

For me personally and most folks think Im out of my mind, is the reason why I play games based off of the Wizardry series is mainly for the fear of death that some can give. Also going up against crazy odds at times. Its a lot about personal decision making on the spot and while progressing through the dungeon itself. I see these types of games as a personality test also. Anyways basically thats the main attraction of them for me.

fedexpeon

Banned

A lot of people want to see their waifu on the screen instead of DOOM walls all the time.

Raggie

I think first person RPGs are a bit underappreciated development-wise right now, They used to be very popular on computers, and Skyrim is (I think) the best-selling RPG of all time, so I don't think the first-person view is exactly what's the problem.

Maybe it's the changed perspectives of what RPGs are about. They are nowadays more about story and characters rather than old-fashioned adventuring and exploration.

Parakeetman

I think first person RPGs are a bit underappreciated development-wise right now, They used to be very popular on computers, and Skyrim is (I think) the best-selling RPG of all time, so I don't think the first-person view is exactly what's the problem.

Maybe it's the changed perspectives of what RPGs are about. They are nowadays more about story and characters rather than old-fashioned adventuring.

I think its just a lot of gamers are forgetting what gaming is about. Which personally isnt fucking framerates, resolution and graphics. Seriously has me worried the direction things are heading these days.

Raggie

I think its just a lot of gamers are forgetting what gaming is about. Which personally isnt fucking framerates, resolution and graphics. Seriously has me worried the direction things are heading these days.

Different people enjoy different things. I think there's room for all kinds of RPGs, and I personally enjoy the genre for its variety.

Parakeetman

Different people enjoy different things. I think there's room for all kinds of RPGs, and I personally enjoy the genre for its variety.

I know you know exactly what Im talking about though. I mean look at a lot of the other threads out there with the very 3 things constant complaints on. Back in the days that sort of shit never was as much of an issue. More talked about how the game actually was over most things.

Its why there is a stupid shift to focus too much on graphics and other shit putting a backseat to gameplay and content.

I know you know exactly what Im talking about though. I mean look at a lot of the other threads out there with the very 3 things constant complaints on. Back in the days that sort of shit never was as much of an issue. More talked about how the game actually was over most things.

Its why there is a stupid shift to focus too much on graphics and other shit putting a backseat to gameplay and content.

That's mostly console wars bullshit, I'm not seeing it connected to JRPGs on handhelds very often. Demon Gaze is just in a niche genre on a niche platform, I don't think graphics have much to due with why more people don't talk about JRPG dungeon crawlers.

Raggie

I don't recall such a time. Not long ago I flipped through some old game magazines, and both reviews and the letters sections were just as concerned about eye candy and technical improvements. Back in the mid-nineties people were so enthusiastic about the 3D cards and CD-ROMs that they didn't seem to notice the camera problems and how crappy the 3D looked compared to the 2D art at the time, and packing those CDs with terrible FMV with terrible actors in them didn't improve games one bit. At least nowadays there's some appreciation for 'retro' graphics and indie games.

Top Bottom