• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny of Spirits |OT| Praise the Spirits of Shu's Voices

Then I'm lost, no pun intended.

I guess that makes two of us. LOL

Seriously though, me being able to unlock Asian spirits probably means that the game uses the player's actual location in the real world to determine what they get to unlock in Hunts. That makes sense because Hunts require the player to use real-world GPS information.

I guess we'll find out once more people start playing the game and share their findings. If the next SP spirit I get to unlock via Hunt is also from Asia, that'll pretty much confirm it.

Do Spirits level up automatically, or do I have to initiate that? All of my Spirits are at the same level as their capture, and apparently they have 0 EXP despite having won a few battles ...

You will need to level them up manually via the "Merge" tab after clicking on "Spirits".

ZeroAKA

Do Spirits level up automatically, or do I have to initiate that? All of my Spirits are at the same level as their capture, and apparently they have 0 EXP despite having won a few battles ...
The only way to level up is to merge a spirit with other spirits.

EGOMON

Downloaded the game today and I'm really enjoying it. I just find merging of spirits quite daunting as I don't know which spirit to keep and which ones to use as an enhancer. Aside from that, it's a really good F2P game. Makes me wish that there's a full-priced version without microtransactions.

Merging spirits of the same type give you bonus XP and even more if you merge same spirits

Dragun619

Finally get to play this again after enjoying the Beta. Glad they've added trophies and I'm liking how the trophy pics links up.
bdgNg7R.jpg

Noticed the Vita Start Page is updated with Player's Information link. http://www.jp.playstation.com/op/players/dos/en/
Has a bunch of stuff OP could add. Looks like Beta Participants do get a reward.

■Closed Beta participant Reward
Every player who participated in the closed beta that was held on October 2013 and played until the end of the tutorial will receive a merging spirit "Joker". Please see below for detailed conditions and delivery schedule.

DoS_Joker_Light600.png

[Conditions]
All players who meet both of the following conditions are able to get the reword.
- Those who participated in the closed beta and played until the end of the tutorial session of the game.
- Those who sign up for the release version (user name and birthday required) by Wednesday, April 9th (23:59 UTC).

[Delivery schedule]
- The reward will be delivered to users' in-game Mailbox by the end of April.

■Improvements/changes from Closed Beta

Thanks to the closed beta result and the feedback from the participants, we've made the following changes/improvements in the release version.
- Skill point system updated: The Skill Points to use during a battle will increase from 0 to 100 over time and only the Skill Points consumed will be deducted.
- "Break Through the Limit" Feature: For the Spirits that already reach their highest levels, as long as you have the same Spirits or JOKERs with the same spirit elements, you can merge them and raise the level caps for the Spirits you want to enhance.
- Trade Spirit for Points: A function that allows you to sell the Spirits you don't need (i.e. trade your Spirits for Points) is added.
- Weekly Ranking Board: The rankings of the "Battle Points" you earn in a mission will be updated on a weekly basis.
- The loading time is shortened so the game runs more smoothly.
- Rental Spirits will definitely show up at the beginning of the battle.
- The battles are 1.5x fast, and the time periods for restoring HP and reviving Spirits are greatly shortened, so the game speed is much faster!
- The number of the basic Spirits you can have in the early stage increases, and the Spirit Points needed for merging Spirits decrease.
- There are more adjustments to enjoy this game for a long time!

sakipon

Now this makes me wonder if the summons we get via Hunts are actually based on our physical location than the location indicated on our PSN accounts. I am in the Philippines (Asia) but my PSN account is US. When I started the game, it automatically assigned America on my profile and I'm sure it's because I'm using a US PSN account. But when I got an SR spirit via Hunt, I got one from Chinese mythology.

I guess this means I'll be getting Asian spirits even if I'm using a US PSN account. If so, that'll be really neat. I have more US friends on DoS so hopefully I'll be able to get more Asian SR spirits and have them for trade.

Yes, it seems to be location based. I'm in Europe but have been playing on an Asian account. Hunts give me European spirits.

Is Invizimals like that?
Haven't played that series myself, but I always though it was basically Sony's Pokemon.

Me neither so I don't know.

I can't comment on the creatures you discover via the hunt because I got this guy:

13429286345_377a917209_o.jpg

Still have to check how the game is played, but the monster design and art is fucking awesome.

This guys reminds me of tentacruel...
73.png

Moobabe

Yay! It worked! Now make sire to add us so we can trade and borrow each others' spirits. LOL

To those who cannot find the game on the PSN store, you can download it here. This is the UK version, so you might need to search your corresponding PSN Stores to get it.

I'll add you all shortly - my download is going SUPER slowly right now. I'll kill time with some Brooklyn Nine-Nine

We're trying! It's going to take me 6187 minutes to download the last 400 meg!

That better be GAF-Hyperbole. I'm in the Philippines and I finished downloading it in 20 minutes. LOL

So is the game fun? any other title you could compare it to gameplay wise?

I've only played for a bit but I'm really enjoying it so far. The spirit designs are really very good! I'm not sure as to which game it compares to when it comes to gameplay but it is reminiscent of Pokemon in a sense that you summon/hunt spirits to fight and these spirits also have elemental affinities.

It wasn't hyperbole! That was the honest counter on my download!

My comment was obviously a joke but, wow, that's really bad. LOL Well then, we'll be exercising our patience.

How are the loading times?

They said it's improved but the beta was really slow...

It's annoying that there are load times between pages but they're not too long. A second or two tops most of the time. If there's anything that I hope could be improved further, this will be it. I cannot say how it compares to the beta though as I wasn't on it.

When is EU release?

It's supposed to be out now. If you cannot find it from the Store on your Vita or PS3, try the web version of the PS Store and search for it manually. You should be able to find and download it.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
How reliant is the game on friends? In PAD and Brave Frontier, friends make a big difference and important to the strength of your team. That's fine because those games have millions of people playing them... but I fear my friends list for this game will be a lot smaller, given the smaller potential userbase.

RpgN

It's annoying that there are load times between pages but they're not too long. A second or two tops most of the time. If there's anything that I hope could be improved further, this will be it. I cannot say how it compares to the beta though as I wasn't on it.

This actually sounds faster. I didn't time it at the time but it felt like it took between 4-5 seconds to load different screens. A second or two can still be annoying when you switch between different menus but it's easier to tolerate.

The beta was pretty enjoyable even though I don't like the idea of f2p games. I might DL this version since it loads faster and fights are apparently quicker.

How reliant is the game on friends? In PAD and Brave Frontier, friends make a big difference and important to the strength of your team. That's fine because those games have millions of people playing them... but I fear my friends list for this game will be a lot smaller, given the smaller potential userbase.

This is just based on a few hours of playing the game, so it's possible I may be mistaken when circumstances change much later in the game. Anyway...

You can still play the game without having to add friends, but you will miss out on some fun things like trading rare spirits or even just borrowing them. You also miss out on bonus attacks that randomly appear when you have added friends for the game. But again, you can still play the game without them. You will need to summon more spirits though and make sure they're all properly leveled.

EGOMON

We're trying! It's going to take me 6187 minutes to download the last 400 meg!

well i did have problems when downloaded it yesterday it kept choking at various times through out the download it definitely took me a lot more than a normal 500 MB download time in a PC

This actually sounds faster. I didn't time it at the time but it felt like it took between 4-5 seconds to load different screens. A second or two can still be annoying when you switch between different menus but it's easier to tolerate.

The beta was pretty enjoyable even though I don't like the idea of f2p games. I might DL this version since it loads faster and fights are apparently quicker.

I think I may have to correct myself on this one so as to avoid setting incorrect expectations. Most of the screens take 3-5 seconds to fully load but some actually load a bit faster. It can be annoying, as you said, but it's not too bad to render the game unplayable. My apologies about the "a second or two" comment. It felt like that when I was playing but actually timing the loading screens proved they lasted just a wee bit longer.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Had just beat a boss when I got a message saying I was signed out of PSN and it was taking me back to the title screen.

That was not cool...
My internet is fine, so now I'm scared of random drops.

Zhao_Yun

Played the game for one hour and it's quite fun. One thing I don't understand though is what happens if you have more than 3 spirits in your party. Does the game choose 3 fighters randomly?

Oh and is the friends limit really only 10? Seems to be quite low imo.

Had just beat a boss when I got a message saying I was signed out of PSN and it was taking me back to the title screen.

That was not cool...
My internet is fine, so now I'm scared of random drops.

Yeah, that's definitely not cool. However, that never happened to me or to my friends who also play it so it may just be an unfortunate glitch.

Ok dudes add me - I'm moobabe and I'm from Europe. We have the best spirits here.

FR sent!

Akuosa

I got this as my destiny orbs summon
bzu2hGI.jpg

Could have been better, but it's not half bad!
The way skills work now have changed from the beta, or I'm not remebering correctly? I could have swear before we started the battle with the bar full and when you spent it that was it, and now it starts empty and fills with time. I like this change, now the spirits that can hit all enemies with one move are not that utterly broken

RalchAC

I want my SpiritDex. :(

I actually asked for that on the PSBlog. It seems they didn't heard me :(

A while back I thought Folklore could be it, but the franchise was killed.
The Eye of judgment could do it too, but it was killed.

Shin Megami Tensei is there too!

When somebody ask me what SMT is I say: Imagine Pokemon, but "for adults" (yes, I know there is a lot of depth. But that's what most people think so it's easier to explain it that way). Instead of cute creatures there are demons. Instead of capturing them with a Pokeball you can recruit them by talking to them / gifting them stuff. Add to that a post-apocaliptic setting.

Invizimals could become a good Skylanders clone. Add some toys and a better version of the PS3 adventure game and you have some interesting stuff there. I think the AR stuff is quite cool for kids though.

EGOMON

Played the game for one hour and it's quite fun. One thing I don't understand though is what happens if you have more than 3 spirits in your party. Does the game choose 3 fighters randomly?

Oh and is the friends limit really only 10? Seems to be quite low imo.

- It will choose the first 3 spirits in the order you picked them
- No the friend limit will increase as you progress through the game (defeat bosses) i am at 25

EGOMON

I got this as my destiny orbs summon
bzu2hGI.jpg

Could have been better, but it's not half bad!
The way skills work now have changed from the beta, or I'm not remebering correctly? I could have swear before we started the battle with the bar full and when you spent it that was it, and now it starts empty and fills with time. I like this change, now the spirits that can hit all enemies with one move are not that utterly broken

Yeah they changed it, now it starts from zero and increase continuously its better than having fixed amount of Skill Points like the beta, now you can use skill attacks more than once even if it require a full Skill Points bar.

Nice spirit btw

oni_saru

What does this mean: - "Those who sign up for the release version (user name and birthday required) by Wednesday, April 9th (23:59 UTC)."

Like where do we sign up? Or does it mean playing the non-beta?

Also if y'all wanna add me: oni_saru

EGOMON

Isn't wood = Earth? I'll fix that.

edit: Fixed.

Blue - Water
Red- Fire
Yellow - Metal
Green - Wind
Brown- Earth

White - Light
Purple - Dark

is this correct?
Green is wood, the rest is correct

What does this mean: - "Those who sign up for the release version (user name and birthday required) by Wednesday, April 9th (23:59 UTC)."

Like where do we sign up? Or does it mean playing the non-beta?

Also if y'all wanna add me: oni_saru

This only for those who played the beta and now playing the full release

ReaperXL7

The hunting mechanic is making me want to drive around town and see what I kind get in different locations. Really curious as to what types of spirits are hiding at my grocery store.

jengo

The hunting mechanic is making me want to drive around town and see what I kind get in different locations. Really curious as to what types of spirits are hiding at my grocery store.

This isn't Ingress ;D

But with the API for that being released next year, I wonder if location based mobile gaming is about to get more popular.

As it stands, this game makes international travel with my Vita more interesting than just "watch my near miles go up".

Top Bottom