• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coconut

Banned
So when you upgrade exotics in the new DLC, it seems your weapon's progression is reset. That's a tough one - it requires a ton of glimmer and XP to go through that again.

Here's the link: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/12/03/stare-into-the-dark-below-new-details-on-the-destiny-expansion.aspx

all the new mission, raid and strike stuff sounds really neat and seems like they truly are using the VoG as a template for the strikes going forward which is neat, but I wonder how much of that was actually their intent form the get go.

Daemul

So when you upgrade exotics in the new DLC, it seems your weapon's progression is reset. That's a tough one - it requires a ton of glimmer and XP to go through that again.

Here's the link: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/12/03/stare-into-the-dark-below-new-details-on-the-destiny-expansion.aspx

post-38816-Doc-Rivers-Dumbfounded-Disbeli-SVhg.gif

I always play with rando's cos GAF groups are always full :'(

Then when i do play with Gaffers i play like shit >.<

Start playing with Rando's again and 14.0 K/D's galore. My chi is all fucked up.

It's not your chi, it's that some of the guys/girls here are legit pro and are drawing in other pro players. Either that, it they are stealing your kills and the other team runs from them and gang up on you.

Lima

Strider

Having to start all over on upgrading your exotics is bullshit IMO. It already takes forever to level them up.

We are only 3 months from launch. It is way too early for this type of stuff. I'll keep my stuff the same I guess.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Interesting. This all generally seems okay. There are definitely Exotics I won't be upgrading further until the DLC.

If you have maxed Exotics, especially the ones that are substantially changed by upgrading them, it's probably going to be prudent NOT to upgrade them right at first.

edit: ah. whatever.

Coconut

Banned
This is some bullshit. I really hope this is not accurate at all. Bungie you did so good this week don't fuck up the goodwill you just gained.

What don't you like about this stuff? Also those changes seem great and open up for more experiences depending on how you play the game.

Having to start all over on upgrading your exotics is bullshit IMO. It already takes forever to level them up.

We are only 3 months from launch. It is way too early for this type of stuff.

the article does state that the rate the items level is going to be faster. But who knows what that means. Better than grinding out ass shards that never dropped.

Hey guys! I'm looking for someone to do missions/strikes with and just casual play. I'm new and only level 10 so if you're new and looking for someone to play with then hit me up!

My PSN is UziPinkyRing!

spyder_ur

This is some bullshit. I really hope this is not accurate at all. Bungie you did so good this week don't fuck up the goodwill you just gained.

Here's the text in case I'm misinterpreting it:

Here’s how it works. Upgrading exotic weapons and armor is completed by interacting with the weekend vendor, Xur. When he arrives every Friday morning, he will now have a new option to upgrade one of your equipped exotic items. Each week, he’ll offer some (but not all) exotic items as being available to upgrade.

You’ll need three things. First, you need to own the original version of that exotic item, and turn it in to exchange for the upgraded version. It doesn’t matter if this old version of the item is brand new or fully upgraded. To complete the upgrade, you’ll also need to turn in an exotic shard. This recently introduced new material is available for purchase for seven strange coins from Xur, or by breaking down another existing exotic item in your inventory. Finally, each exotic upgrade costs a hefty dose of cash – around 7000 glimmer as of my playthrough of the expansion in mid-November. After turning all three of these things into Xur, he’ll hand you a brand new version of your item with a higher defense or attack value cap.

It’s important to note that this process resets the upgrades on your exotic item, but you’ll now have a new higher damage or defense cap to work towards – so you’ll need to decide if you’d rather keep your fully upgraded old version of a weapon or armor piece, or start over. With that said, the process of upgrading exotic items is now faster, and does not require ascendant materials. Instead, the last slot requires one additional exotic shard, as revealed in Monday’s patch.

realcZk

phen0m24

clears throat

"Perhaps most importantly, the loot raid drops for Crota’s End have been refined from what we experienced in the Vault of Glass. Specifically, the game will pay closer attention to the drops you’ve already had, as well as how long it’s been since you get a “fun” drop (as opposed to just materials). While there’s still a significant component of randomness, Bungie strongly implied to me that players should have a more consistent reward experience with the raid than what has been experienced in Vault of Glass when the Crota’s End raid launches on day one of the expansion."

Clap clap clap

Why not do that with the existing raid though, too... ;)

Lima

What don't you like about this stuff? Also those changes seem great and open up for more experiences depending on how you play the game.

What I don't like about this? Is this even a serious question?

It takes a fuckton amount of XP to max out an exotic. Why should I go through all that again instead of just them like adding a new bubble to upgrade?

Oh and they also conviently forgot to tell you that when they updated the game on Monday with the new exotic shards that people already wasted on their current exotics? Why can you even make that last upgrade now with the exotic shard if you are going to have to do it again in a week?

Fuck them.

spyder_ur

clears throat

"Perhaps most importantly, the loot raid drops for Crota’s End have been refined from what we experienced in the Vault of Glass. Specifically, the game will pay closer attention to the drops you’ve already had, as well as how long it’s been since you get a “fun” drop (as opposed to just materials). While there’s still a significant component of randomness, Bungie strongly implied to me that players should have a more consistent reward experience with the raid than what has been experienced in Vault of Glass when the Crota’s End raid launches on day one of the expansion."

Clap clap clap

Yup, I was just about to post that section too. That's great news.

"Significant Component of Randomness", though.

Strider

Let me change my stance. There is a particular quote...

the process of upgrading exotic items is now faster

It better be waaaaaaay faster or yea... not pleased.

I am definitely in the "hardcore" crowd and I only have 3 fully leveled exotic weapons. Gah damn let us upgrade all this stuff quick so we can have fun enjoying all the exotics. fuck.

Coconut

Banned
What I don't like about this? Is this even a serious question?

It takes a fuckton amount of XP to max out an exotic. Why should I go through all that again instead of just them like adding a new bubble to upgrade?

Oh and they also conviently forgot to tell you that when they updated the game on Monday with the new exotic shards that people already wasted on their current exotics? Why can you even make that last upgrade now with the exotic shard if you are going to have to do it again in a week?

Fuck them.

Because you can go buy the Shards from Xur. I don't know all this stuff makes sense to me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
havent read this yet but if true... SERIOUSLY? lol...

guess ill stop upgrading my hawkmoon right now and won't waste the damn exotic shard...
yeah that's wise. Hawkmoon is pretty damn good out of the box and the last damage upgrade doesn't make a massive difference. I probably will upgrade my maxed Hawkmoon shortly after the DLC hits, but keep my maxed Gjallarhorn for a while until I have more things crossed off the list.

Shito

This exotic upgrade thing makes me crave a second Ice Breaker even more... so I can leave it blank and upgrade it from there, and always have my 300 one while upgrading it... ^^

hydruxo

The progression reset on exotics makes no sense to me. Unless it's way faster the second time around that's just an unnecessary grind.

That being said, I'll wait until it's out in the wild and we get more info about it.

clears throat

Clap clap clap

Holy shit yes!

I've been saying this so many times even on the last page. Thank you Bungie so much!

To encourage players to embrace initial upgrades even as they wait for raid drops, ascendant materials are now used primarily to upgrade non-raid legendary gear. Raid gear is instead upgraded with radiant shards and energy, which are acquired in the Crota&#8217;s End raid. To put it another way, the raid has its own internally consistent upgrade economy.

whelp. atleast ass shards/energy can be used on normal equipment.

another interesting bit

In addition, if you don&#8217;t get the specific energy or shards you&#8217;re hoping for, Eris Morn offers an exchange, allowing you to trade in one for the other. Another way to get radiant shards and radiant energy is to break down unwanted items acquired in the raid.

Does this mean an exchange ascendant for radiant? Or just radiant energy for radiant shards and vice versa?

E92 M3

Excellent. Finally, the new raid will have smarter version of RNG - something I've been talking about for a very long time. Can't wait for the Dark Below; very hyped for the expansion.

realcZk

yeah that's wise. Hawkmoon is pretty damn good out of the box and the last damage upgrade doesn't make a massive difference. I probably will upgrade my maxed Hawkmoon shortly after the DLC hits, but keep my maxed Gjallarhorn for a while until I have more things crossed off the list.

the interesting/scary part of this is that xur picks what you can and cant upgrade, presumably randomly. maybe you'll never get to upgrade that hawkmoon for a while ;___;

Lima

Uhm so what's this about the hard mode only being available next year? What? Luke get in here and clarify some of this stuff please.

Grimsen

Yeah, definitely NOT doing any more upgrades on my exotics until next tuesday.

I'll buy shards from XUR this weekend, but no way I'm using them until we know for sure.

Ugh I should have waited before I maxed out vex. Still have to finish reading what gameinformer posted. Btw I notice universal remote did not get buff or anything. I wonder why.

Shito

Also, guys, keep in mind this is a report from a mid-november build.
Some things changed from the beta to the release version, like how the subclasses work, so this is still possible it won't totally work like that.

spyder_ur

Independent of raid loot, there are some new wrinkles involved in acquiring standard expansion-tier legendary gear. In addition to spending crucible or vanguard marks, buying new purple items now requires that you gain crucible or vanguard commendations. This reward is provided when you hit a new reputation level, and arrives via the postmaster. New legendary gear can be purchased by any Destiny player, regardless of whether you own The Dark Below.

So this kind of confirms that a) Marks still have value for buying legendary gear and b)Current Legendaries (even VoG legendaries?) will be pretty outdated due to no upgrade path.

Didn't someone mention the term "crucible commendation" in this thread recently?

Daemul

Let me change my stance. There is a particular quote...

It better be waaaaaaay faster or yea... not pleased.

I am definitely in the "hardcore" crowd and I only have 3 fully leveled exotic weapons. Gah damn let us upgrade all this stuff quick so we can have fun enjoying all the exotics. fuck.

3? I wish I only had 3 exotics weapons upgraded.

347.gif

hydruxo

Some small but important changes are on the way to raiding and the loot that comes from raiding.

After the initial launch, Bungie noticed that many players were choosing not to fully upgrade their standard legendary gear, and instead were saving the shards and energy for the powerful gear that might drop for them in the raid.

To encourage players to embrace initial upgrades even as they wait for raid drops, ascendant materials are now used primarily to upgrade non-raid legendary gear. Raid gear is instead upgraded with radiant shards and energy, which are acquired in the Crota’s End raid. To put it another way, the raid has its own internally consistent upgrade economy.

Welp. New materials.

the interesting/scary part of this is that xur picks what you can and cant upgrade, presumably randomly. maybe you'll never get to upgrade that hawkmoon for a while ;___;

You know the Ghorn will either never show up, or be the first, forcing everyone to do the new raid with an unleveled Ghorn.

Lima

So this kind of confirms that a) Marks still have value for buying legendary gear and b)Current Legendaries (even VoG legendaries?) will be pretty outdated due to no upgrade path.

Didn't someone mention the term "crucible commendation" in this thread recently?

Yes someone did mention it.

I am pretty sad that my awesome Fatebringer and co. will just be left in the dust.

realcZk

Game Informer said:
Xur. When he arrives every Friday morning, he will now have a new option to upgrade one of your equipped exotic items. Each week, he&#8217;ll offer some (but not all) exotic items as being available to upgrade.

Want to upgrade an exotic to make it viable in the new DLC?

Equip it before talking to Xur and pray to RNGesus...then if you're lucky you can re-level the gun from scratch.

I am really happy exotics will be upgraded. Sucks about the reset on progress but at least it will keep them relevant moving forward.

Sucks legendaries will be left to dust.

E92 M3

I've been very stingy about upgrading exotics, but will definitely take the ballerhorn, Ice Breaker and Mythoclast along for the ride.

It's funny though, Bungie didn't want us saving shards/energies for raid weapons - yet we can exchange them with Eris lol.

Ugh I should have waited before I maxed out vex. Still have to finish reading what gameinformer posted. Btw I notice universal remote did not get buff or anything. I wonder why.

Vex is probably the one exception here since it's attack value is already at 323. But I definitely won't be upgrading any more exotics til the DLC & Xur.

I'm more upset that all Raid legendaries (armor & weapons) will be outdated. So all legendaries are seaonsal. Prepare to have Crota leg's be outdated in another 3 months.

Daemul

This is the part that scares me the most. I can handle resetting my gun, paying 700 glimmer and buying those exotic shards since I'm drowning in strange coins, but having to rely on Xur to give you to option for a certain guns to be available for upgrade is BS.

You just know that certain weapons aren't going to show up for a long time.

realcZk

Vex is probably the one exception here since it's attack value is already at 323. But I definitely won't be upgrading any more exotics til the DLC & Xur.

Yeah, vex is nice if you have it maxed out right now since its got a jump start over every other weapon (when it has ammo) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom