• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT16| Enrage is here, there, everywhere...

Shito

I hate the patronizing tone everyone takes when someone complains about something needing to be fixed quicker. "Oh, I'm sorry are you a programmer?"
I am a developer, a game developer even, and while I can very well see how a task that seems easy like this one can reveal itself to be reaaally complicated and dangerous to fix, I don't see why they made that much of a deal of this.
"It took me several tries to find the correct way to fix this", is, well, pretty much common when dealing with bug fixes. And it's hardly medal worthy or anything, this is just their job. When I do happen to fix a vicious bug I'm quite happy with myself, but I don't get interviewed by our community managers like I did something so incredible it needed that many lines in a weekly update.
Also, I still don't understand how they managed to get this bug ONLY on the heavy weapons. Must mean their code is full of weird exceptions and special cases, if all of their weapon types are not handled the same way on such a basic feature as "respawn with the same amount of ammos you had". Finally, I don't know why they need to compute this value *again*, instead of simply storing it before dying and retrieving it again when respawning...

tldr: as a seasoned game developer, this bug and this weekly update puzzled the hell out of me.

The vault thing, though, is a case of a really complicated task disguised as a "wtf Bungie you could do it in 10 minutes tops!".
People fail to realize how much things need to be changed for this to be implemented, in a UI that was not designed to allow for scrolling areas.

KeRaSh

As I said, this move would hopefully make them create more memorable and useful exotics each time instead of 2-4 each dlc/expansion.

I also like the idea of evolving exotics. So much potential there, but I'd like the story behind it to be more than just some flavor text. I really think bungie didn't expect they would have to make so much content.

Give me a quest line to upgrade exotics and I'd be a happy guardian! So much potential...

Daemul

I booted up Destiny to upgrade my SGA, and I was thinking of running a nightfall, but I've just seen that it's fricken Omnigul?! Again?! WTF?!
14xD4Ub.gif

I ain't doing this shit.

E92 M3

This is what its come to. I bought a glove exotic engram just to feel any shred of excitement from Xur this weekend. Didn't really even need it, the only gloves I don't have are Sunbreakers and I would seldom even use those. Ugh. I guess getting a second character to 32 can be my weekend goal. It blows we are a month away from any meaningful changes to this game. So many things are still broken. Yes it was refreshing to hear they know how awful their code is in plain English, but they also failed to mention how glitched to fuck their beloved new hard-means-hard Crota's End raid is.

It has to be a skeleton crew actually still working on Destiny 1, the majority of which are prioritizing DLC and how to assure the changes maximize the incentive to buy it, not enjoy it. The rest have fucked off to Destiny 2. I hate the patronizing tone everyone takes when someone complains about something needing to be fixed quicker. "Oh, I'm sorry are you a programmer?" No, I'm not. But I have watched countless other games, equally or exceedingly more complex, with way fucking smaller budgets and teams than Destiny get larger patches done much quicker, more frequently and with a shit load more transparency and a lot less condescension from the devs. If they actually thought any of the things we have been complaining about for months were a big deal, they could have fixed them if they wanted to. But that requires them spending their money, and why would they want to do that when minor fixes don't = more sales? There is no way Bungie doesn't have the resources and talent to resolve the majority of our laundry list. Those resources are just working on the expansion/sequel whatever it turns out to be to get another $60 (probably will actually be $90 again) from us. This is fine for a company to want to maximize revenue, but I am done with hearing people pretend that some how Destiny has reached the fucking singularity with code complexity that simply cannot be resolved or adjusted in a timely manner.

I'm sorry for the cynicism but I am sick of them telling us that they value our time, our money and us as a community, but then all of their actions being the complete polar opposite of that. If they came out and said, "fuck ya'll, it would be a relief. But no, everything with this game is a carrot on a stick. From the loot system to the way they talk to their community. Yeah you feel like you are wading in the same pool of shit, but I promise the good stuff is right around the corner. CE HM put a lot of us on the brink, but I can definitely see HoW being a genuine breaking point. Not just a bunch of heated posts on GAF, but walking away from this game completely, and unfortunately the community and never coming back. I know I am certainly leaning that way if some major changes aren't made leading up to and at the launch of HoW. It is such shame because not only the potential Destiny has, but how great the community is that has formed around it, all willing it to become this better and more exciting game. We are on your side Bungie, but we all have our limits.

Sorry for the rant, but it does help to get this stuff off your chest sometimes. It sucks feeling frustrated about a hobby that functions primarily as a stress reliever in your day to day life.

I've been feeling like it's a skeleton crew working on updates for a long time. The time it takes to get changes is so damn long - not reactive at all. With Bungie's size, we should be getting weekly patches, if not every 2 weeks. It does seem like most are working on the next big DLC and Destiny 2, while Destiny is getting just enough support to get by. Kinda sad.

Don't need Glowhoo equipped. It's just a random drop.

Nope. You don't even need to have Glowhoo drop. I can't remember which gaffer it was but they got the crux on their first HM completion.

Same here. I wish we could turn that stupid indicator off.

Well, than that's really good.

Do you know if it counts if I transfer it to a character I haven't beaten it with yet, but still put it in their inventory?

Apparently it doesn't even matter anymore.

I booted up Destiny to upgrade my SGA, and I was thinking of running a nightfall, but I've just seen that it's fricken Omnigul?! Again?! WTF?!
14xD4Ub.gif

I ain't doing this shit.

It goes by very quick with all burns. Very quick.

nOoblet16

As someone who has both of those. I would suggest you keep the MOTTM for HM Crota. Fast attack speed and health from orbs is great. Especially if you are the sword bearer or if you don't have Suros or Red Death.

Note: I haven't tried this but I fully upgraded it last week to give it a go this week. It will definitely make more sense than Dont Touch Me's in that encounter.
The helm from crota has infusion which grants you health from orbs. I can just switch between MOTTM and Don't touch me depending on what part of tsid I am in. For crota it makes sense to use MOTTM if I am the swordbearer as I can blink and vanish but for thrall and bridge don't touch me works better.

Namikaze1

It's snowing a bit heavily here so yet again, I'm stuck inside cause I sure as hell ain't walking out there with people who don't know how to properly drive in such conditions.

Time to finish upgrading this helmet then.

Jinjo

Hesitant on buying the DTM gauntlets. That stat roll seems pretty low

Don't the gloves have a Strength roll? You really don't need a high roll on that stat. Although a high strength might be the best on a Hunter (throwing knives and blink strike invis).

Lnkn52

I just read the Weekly Update (I was exceptionally busy yesterday evening). So, 1,314 words and the only piece of worthwhile information is the heavy ammo bug is being fixed (I did it in 6 words, see?). Typical Deej is Deej. What about all of the other bugs going on? Ugh, I just can't understand what the motivation here is, in regards to not discussing the other things with Destiny that are equally as important.

Weekly updates should just be tweets. Get with the times…

lt519

Salvage trophy will be mine today...hello Guardian Lord

Tried running sword last night, I got the hang of it but botched a 3rd sword horribly. Consistently getting 6-7 swings per sword using invisibility and blink strike. Had a little trouble with the team and timing rockets, left a little to early a couple times and took a sword to the face from Crota. Lag can be a real bitch when doing blink strike too if you can't drop the sword fast enough.

E92 M3

I would love for every update to be like Luke's post, but that's not realistic. Maybe every other week or something. Deej can interview developers that talk about what they want changed and how they're playing the game. Give us more transparency about Bungie is thinking.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The maxed stats always appear on every Exotic Armor right away even before you buy it.
That's true, but when HoW comes and light levels matter more than stats, you'll basically be forced to take whatever Xur gives you unless you're willing to wait an in determinant number of weeks for an upgrade that is worth it.

PuMa

It's snowing a bit heavily here so yet again, I'm stuck inside cause I sure as hell ain't walking out there with people who don't know how to properly drive in such conditions.

Time to finish upgrading this helmet then.

Lucky. We only got about an inch here in CT...so off to work unfortunately.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I would love for every update to be like Luke's post, but that's not realistic. Maybe every other week or something. Deej can interview developers that talk about what they want changed and how they're playing the game. Give us more transparency about Bungie is thinking.
I think if we talk about
lesbian bears
more often in this thread, we'll get him to come here more often.

lt519

I've been feeling like it's a skeleton crew working on updates for a long time. The time it takes to get changes is so damn long - not reactive at all. With Bungie's size, we should be getting weekly patches, if not every 2 weeks. It does seem like most are working on the next big DLC and Destiny 2, while Destiny is getting just enough support to get by. Kinda sad.

That could be true but it seems like their code is such a train wreck that it can't be easily modified without extremely heavy testing. They may think they have a fix and a week into debug play they find it broke something else. While we complain, the game is big, with lots of abilities and perks and every one of them has to be tested with each update. It'd be worse if they constantly rolled out patches, broke things more, then had to revert.

It's almost like they need 10% of the player base to volunteer to get patches early and help test. I see it as the only way to speed up the process. It's a house of cards and they are afraid to touch anything.

Lnkn52

Salvage trophy will be mine today...hello Guardian Lord

Tried running sword last night, I got the hang of it but botched a 3rd sword horribly. Consistently getting 6-7 swings per sword using invisibility and blink strike. Had a little trouble with the team and timing rockets, left a little to early a couple times and took a sword to the face from Crota. Lag can be a real bitch when doing blink strike too if you can't drop the sword fast enough.

So did you guys ever take him down? Sorry for having to leave early. Also, those damn boomers never wanting to be distracted by our Titan scarecrow!

BTW: Give me a Hell Yeah, 3:16!

Shito

Weekly updates should just be tweets. Get with the times…
What's funny is that they write that many lines for so little information, yet post in the comments of this same post about how they are thinking and (maybe?) working on the vault space upgrade.
Why not put this in the weekly as well!?

I would be 100% happier with Urk than Deej tbh. He actually tells us stuff

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What's funny is that they write that many lines for so little information, yet post in the comments of this same post about how they are thinking and (maybe?) working on the vault space upgrade.
Why not put this in the weekly as well!?
Deej says that all the time on Reddit. It's not even news when he says they are "thinking" about vault space upgrades.

lt519

So did you guys ever take him down? Sorry for having to leave early. Also, those damn boomers never wanting to be distracted by our Titan scarecrow!

BTW: Give me a Hell Yeah, 3:16!

Haha nice, wolfpack! No we got LTWOOD to join us and I royally screwed up our one good chance. We got past the Ogres and all he needed was 6 swings and I botched the jump up to him on the first kneel. It was devastating and then I quit because I was making dumb mistakes. Missed a blink strike on a good second sword, didn't get off the platform fast enough another time. Rookie sword master mistakes but I got a lot better and with a fresh take I think I'd be really solid.

Lnkn52

Knowing Deej, he probably ask them what's their favorite ice cream flavor.

realcZk

how many more people still need to buy the dlc so bungie can start putting other strikes in nightfall rotations

wheres that archon priest at

gdt

Don't care about heavy ammo packs right now. The heavy ammo trick is so much better anyway.

Meh Xur week. Bought the boots just cause.

LiK

Luke and Urk just write straightforward posts. DeeJ adds so much fluff and weird formatting to the Weekly posts for no reason. He tries too hard.

Shito

Deej says that all the time on Reddit. It's not even news when he says they are "thinking" about vault space upgrades.
Yeah, maybe that was probably just him trying to control the number of "VAULT UPGRADE!!!11!" posts they would get in the comments.
For a guy whose job is to communicate, Deej doesn't seem really good at communicating...

How would everyone feel with NF strikes that happened once a month. They would not be regular nightfalls. They would almost be like mini raids. They would be completely unique and new, but also, they would guarantee 3 random exotic drops which could not be the same item, so no dupes.

E92 M3

I think if we talk about
lesbian bears
more often in this thread, we'll get him to come here more often.

I really don't understand what that is about lol.

That could be true but it seems like their code is such a train wreck that it can't be easily modified without extremely heavy testing. They may think they have a fix and a week into debug play they find it broke something else. While we complain, the game is big, with lots of abilities and perks and every one of them has to be tested with each update. It'd be worse if they constantly rolled out patches, broke things more, then had to revert.

It's almost like they need 10% of the player base to volunteer to get patches early and help test. I see it as the only way to speed up the process. It's a house of cards and they are afraid to touch anything.

All things considered, Destiny is a VERY well built game. Runs great, minimal glitches and nothing game breaking. I give credit to Bungie for that. So, I don't think their code is a train wreck; I think they don't have a whole lot of manpower working on supporting Destiny with updates. Based on what Deej said, we might not get a bigger vault until HoW launches. Everything is so ambiguous.

I would be 100% happier with Urk than Deej tbh. He actually tells us stuff

We have to take into consideration what Deej is allowed to say, but Urk did do a nice job with his update weeks ago. Deej needs to rework how he communicates with the community. We definitely don't care about community spotlight of some random dude. Give us developer spotlight - interview someone from the team.

Knowing Deej, he probably ask them what's their favorite ice cream flavor.

Lol...

Luke and Urk just write straightforward posts. DeeJ adds so much fluff and weird formatting to the Weekly posts for no reason. He tries too hard.

I wouldn't care about his writing style as long as it contained the same information Luke and Urk post.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, maybe that was probably just him trying to control the number of "VAULT UPGRADE!!!11!" posts they would get in the comments.
For a guy whose job is to communicate, Deej doesn't seem really good at communicating...
It took how many weeks for them to address the heavy ammo? For some reason, they don't want their community to know what is going on with their game. It seems like the only time they've actually responded was patching in the marks for mats thing, and that feels like an eon ago.

I got no rewards after HM deathsinger last night. I beat CE on normal this week already, could that have something to do with it?
Yes, that part only has one drop. No reason to do it on Hard if you have a checkpoint for Crota.

dB Viper

I can't honestly believe Bungie has control of Xur and is purposely screwing Warlocks week after week with the same crap can they?? WTF is going on here. Add in the worthless Titan boots, Dragon's breath and no heavy ammo it's getting really stupid.

I can't honestly believe Bungie has control of Xur and is purposely screwing Warlocks week after week with the same crap can they?? WTF is going on here. Add in the worthless Titan boots, Dragon's breath and no heavy ammo it's getting really stupid.

Wait, are the Titan boots actually useless? My new striker Titan needs an exotic and I was thinking of buying them to have until Inmost Light comes around.

nOoblet16

You can solo it faster with a warlock and a titan, with the jump thing from the second lamp.
Couldn't make it with my hunter yet, haven't tried much but I think someone here confirmed it was also possible, so I usually use Don't Touch Me and MIDA to make this a breeze.
Yea I've done it too, it's definitely possible with hunter's high double jump just boost up agility as much as possible and good timing with the numo to get max height.

http://youtu.be/AQBjzCCcbhM

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wait, are the Titan boots actually useless? My new striker Titan needs an exotic and I was thinking of buying them to have until Inmost Light comes around.
They're a PVP exotic. Perfect if you like to be a troll and shoulder charge your way through the map. lol

Indeed. lol
I think only 4 people in this thread even knows what
lesbian bears
are!
gao gao guro guro
#believe
shabadooooooo

Top Bottom