• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT21| Our House, in the Middle of the Reef

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku Tree

I had to switch teams because my first two allies had to leave...
and I had to stress through watching the bottom of my screen say "contacting destiny servers" while I was waiting for team two to show up sitting in the airlock waiting to take on Skolas but eventually he went down... yay!

nOoblet16

The issue is that PvP has never been properly balanced since day one. So people who like balanced modes steer far away.

From Thorn to Shotguns, PvP is a mess of instant kills that can be very difficult for an average player.

And please. The lowest reward requires 5 wins. Your average player isn't getting that many.
The lowest reward requires 3 wins, and1 if you have the buffs. The chest armour requires 5 wins but only 3 if you have the buffs.

ToO is surprisingly balanced because you can o ly get one super per match usually and one round of heavy. Thorn is not one hit kill and considering most encounters in ToO is mid to long range it's avoidable and it's very hard to rush shotguns unless coordinated well. It's the most balanced the PvP has ever been in this game.

The PoE elemental weapons only drop from 35 PoE and aren't available to PvP-only players. Nor are any of the PoE weapons, but whatever.

I mean, PvP players have always been locked out of some of the most desirable gear. Including pure progression, actually. Now there's quite a bit of desirable gear. I am personally surprised at how reasonable some of the sweet ToO goods actually are to obtain for a player of average skill.

While I can sympathize to a degree with the idea of gear being "locked" behind one mode or the other, the truth is that it is an effective motivator to play each modes for those players that participate in both. For a player like me, that plays both but neither in a particularly hardcore way, it feels about right to have desirable goals that can only be obtained in each mode. I would wager that a majority of Destiny players are actually in this group.

I was thinking this at first (Combustion on Golden Gun), but people really haven't been clumping. Staying near but NOT tightly together seems best, or even having two stay near one another and the third flank wildly.

PvP players have never been locked out of PvE gear. People who do not enjoy PvE may not want to do the raids, but to say they are "locked out" is false. LFG pickups can clear both raids with ease most of the time, and are fairly quick about it now. Will you always enjoy the group you are with? No. Will you clear the event and have a shot at the loot when you do it. Yes. And if you don't like LFG pickups then you can post on here. You yourself do noobie raids and the sword school for CE. So, to say they are locked out is not accurate. For ToO, however, people who aren't good at PvP are locked out of the best gear for the vent AND an entirely brand new area that we may not get to see. That, imo, is wrong of Bungie to do. Will we get to see it later? Maybe, but I don't have high hopes. Guess what we get to see if we get to the Skolas arena on PoE 35? We get to see the same Fallen arena you can see on the level 28 PoE with matchmaking that you can blaze through with randoms. Do we get to see the Queen or a new area? No, we do not. I agree that PvPers that enjoy that mode and excel deserve the best gear, but to lock it in a brand new area isn't fair.

Saying that, I will be bashing my head against ToO in an attempt to see it. I don't care about the loot, but I do want to see the lighthouse.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/oh-you-show.jpg[IMG]

If you're talking Crota then yes, the one advantage of Crota is it's a faster raid if the group knows what to do. VoG is longer and the loot is stingier, but I still love playing it--I like fighting the Vex and don't like fighting Hive so I could be biased...

Mostly we're trying to go for weapons we still need (come on Fatebringer and Vision!).

Don't let your last two scrubby VoG runs deter you from it though. :-P[/QUOTE]
That's cool that you like em, but I don't. After 6+ raids that were more stressful than fun, I'd rather never try them again. Plus people usually want to cheese them, which is really boring imo. I'd much rather play Trials or PoE.

SkylineRKR

Why wouldn't you use anything else than the best weapons and perks?

Anyway, PvP players can easily be carried through HM VoG by some semi decent players for their primaries. Takes like 25 minutes to do it.

PvE players can't really be carried like that through PvP only modes.

GhaleonEB

So, on the Reef map there are three branches to the central location. The one of the right is the Prison of Elders. The one of the left, I just discovered, it where you activate the cinematic that is part of the main campaign, after the first Venus mission (my Titan just hit level 13, woo).

What is the bottom one? Is that the place that unlocks for going 7-0 in the Trials?

So, on the Reef map there are three branches to the central location. The one of the right is the Prison of Elders. The one of the left, I just discovered, it where you activate the cinematic that is part of the main campaign, after the first Venus mission (my Titan just hit level 13, woo).

What is the bottom one? Is that the place that unlocks for going 7-0 in the Trials?

Nope, but aren't there 2 venus cutscenes? I'm assuming it's the second.

The Trials creates a Mercury planet just above the traveler.

Edit: Not Venus cut scenes, Queen cut scenes.

Deku Tree

Going 9-0 in trials unlocks "the lighthouse" it is a planet on the map. It is not on the reef. No idea about third location on the reef.

nOoblet16

Anyway, PvP players can easily be carried through HM VoG by some semi decent players for their primaries. Takes like 25 minutes to do it.

Uh not really. For comparison a PvE only player can be carried through IB, GAF always does it in their IB trains..we always have some non PvP guys.

For ToO it's 3 player so it's much harder to carry but the exact same can be said about PoE !!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

Unstable streamed the last IB. I was playing with my fingers covered in barbeque and we went 20-4. The bottom 3 of our team was legit BAD the entire time.

People are trying to act like they can't get carried in PvP just as much as in PvE

SkylineRKR

Unstable streamed the last IB. I was playing with my fingers covered in barbeque and we went 20-4. The bottom 3 of our team was legit BAD the entire time.

People are trying to act like they can't get carried in PvP just as much as in PvE

Yeah okay but reward wise the equivalent of a Raid is pretty much ToO. And try to carry someone through that. It will be harder. Also harder than PoE I reckon bar level 34+.

Any of the elite Lighthouse GAF know if you turn in your ticket when you go to Mercury? I'm wondering if I should pick up the 8 win package at the Reef first.

Sucks I have to work. :(

I want to get my prizes!

nOoblet16

Yeah okay but reward wise the equivalent of a Raid is pretty much ToO. And try to carry someone through that. It will be harder. Also harder than PoE I reckon bar level 34+.

Not particularly. Reward wise ToO is equivalent to PoE and I got a flawless win in ToO today but I found PoE immensely harder. So much so that I said I'm giving up up on PvE content as I couldn't finish level 34.
Any of the elite Lighthouse GAF know if you turn in your ticket when you go to Mercury? I'm wondering if I should pick up the 8 win package at the Reef first.

Sucks I have to work. :(

I want to get my prizes!
You can go to Mercury whenever you want, even after turning in your ToO passage.
You can even revisit it but if you have taken the chest during your first visit then obviously you won't get any loot.

LtOrange

How to join a persons fire team or party without having them on your friends list(PS4)? This is probably very obvious, but I can't seem to figure it out.

I really want to play ToO but I kind of have to be quiet because I don't want beef with my girlfriend. I hate my life right now, seeing a bunch of dudes on my friendlist that I know could carry me and that I could have joined get the emblem on sucks balls.

So, either you get steamrolled or you do the steamrolling. Feast or famine. I foresee lots of frustration

Not in my experience.

Go figure the only full match we played in ToO where we steamrolled was our 9tn one. We got a Strength of the Wolf on that one.

Every other match was pretty close. A lot of 3v5. A couple of 4v5 even.

It seems to be more about momentum than anything else.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Hard VOG!

In about 15 minutes

1. Sploatee
2. Jingx
3. Ken
4. Shabadoo69
5. Eidelon
6. COULD IT BE YOU

if you're not my friend already please could you add? PSN is same as ID here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom