• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT22| Game of Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daemul

Did you try practicing PvP? Not like people just get born good at PvP lol...

Everyone has a skill ceiling mate, there's only so much practice you can do before you eventually plateau. Most players will never be as good as Zoba and Unstable, no matter how much they practice.

That's not fair. As we practice basic skills, the other people are perfecting their strategy and learning how to snipe through that one little hole that no one else even knows existed.

I've gotten much better just this week, but the competition has exploded.

The competition isn't just suddenly better. A lot of the people who failed last week aren't gonna bother putting the same effort in this week or are waiting to be carried. That's why you're coming up against better teams more consistently.

Also lol there's a secret sniping hole?

nOoblet16

Really? Really? You can still freaking learn even in a train. Get out with that crap. but hey whatever.

No absolutely not, I am talking about a train with one or two top 50 player. Are you seriously going to tell me that when you're in a team with Unstable and Zoba you will be anything more than a third wheel?
You will learn some things but when the majority of the target engagement comes from the players then you don't learn much. You yourself have to engage and try out things to see what works for you and what doesn't. The tactics high level players use are useless to learn if your mid level game is not there in the first place, I've played enough PvP in my life to know that much.

What I am saying is that it's alright to be carried once in a while but you do it all the time and you won't learn much.

You don't need to be Unstable fast to be considered "good" in PvP, you can be a good passive aggressive player and you can only develop that playstyle if you play on your own. Because if you try to approach a playstyle that just isn't your thing then you'll only perform poorly.

Deku Tree

The competition isn't just suddenly better. A lot of the people who failed last week aren't gonna bother putting the same effort in this week or are waiting to be carried. That's why you're coming up against better teams more consistently.

And I think in a few weeks ToO is gonna be mostly sweaty matches. And for the reason you mention (even above average teams will fail and not come back) very few Non-elite teams will be playing.

Also agreed, Its great the pvp players can help the community out, but I find the list thing kinda silly. Welp I guess what rubs me in the wrong way is people are waiting around, expecting to be carried. Atleast attempt to work for it, earn it and ask for help when you cant. Perhaps its Bungie's fault for making it harsh, could have been less restricting. However I did spent alot of time personally killing Crota HM previously. I dont mind helping out if the group gave it a shot and cant get it, but sometime I did just jump in and killed Crota..hmm being a hypocrite now :lol

Of course, noting against Zoba, Unstable, Tears, EJ..you guys are awesome and great Pvp players.

The list just rubs me in a wrong way, however I do understand it makes things alot organize for you guys. haha maybe this just shows I rather go with the flow instead of waiting around for a list.

I agree with some of your points. If someone gets carried through ToO, but they are actually trying to learn and get better, then I don't have a problem with that. However, it's the people that don't care to improve and just want an easy trip for the rewards, those are the ones that bother me. It makes ToO less meaningful.

Deku Tree

Gothalion says he tested it and the "touch of venom" perk is a OHK and actually five times damage in PvP not the four times that it says in the perk.

Namikaze1

No absolutely not, I am talking about a train with a top 50 player.
You can learn some things but when the majority of the target engagement comes from one player then you don't learn much. I've played enough PvP to know that much.
Some of us will never be as good as Zoba or unstable.

Some of us don't have the time to put hours upon hours doing crucible.

Some of us don't fucking have a team who knows your playstyle well.

Some of us have low skill ceilings.

Some of us can still fucking learn from being carried.

With 5 days between Trials and the map changing week to week I think that's a decent amount of time to work on PvP!

I mean...I quit the game before TDB and only came back a week before HoW so I had seen Pantheon like twice and I didn't need to know about the secret sniping hole.

I still don't know what secret sniping hole there is.

Also lol there's a secret sniping hole?

What secret sniping hole?

LOL...no, I don't think there is, but it feels like it. A lot of times I'll see this little glint of red from their scope, but won't see the player and I just up and die.

nOoblet16

You don't need to be Zoba or Unstable ffs ! They are top 50 in the entire world !
I don't have a fixed team, I am not Unstable or Zoba and I've managed mercury. Ruthless is a PvE player and he has managed mercury and he actually played well last night, sometimes even getting the entire team by himself. There is a "ceiling" to how much you can learn from being carried, especially when your mid level game isn't good in the first place.

I will stress again and again, decision making is the most important thing in PvP and you are not making decisions if you are being told what to do every second and the first instinct for you is "Revive Unstable cause we'll lose otherwise" .

I guess I can't understand that viewpoint. Developer has to appeal to a bunch of demographics and I can accept some stuff won't be meant for me and live with it. Maybe it's worse with this because the content is so thin? I don't know.

Coming from MMOs, I've found that carries usually don't help anyone since you just produce people who probably don't know how to do the activity properly but still technically have a sign of a clear. Then they run off and flaunt their clear and get wrecked when they need to run the thing again. It's just a little gross to me I suppose.

Oh well, at this point I'm just babbling before I fall asleep lol.

Ahh I know where you are coming from. Being honest I never played an MMO but I see your point. I under mind carrying only as long as the player does have interesting in learning it. Its kinda bullshit in the old days since in order to level up, it depends on RNG and with the way the level scaling works, receiving or taking 30% is a lot and can make things more frustrating. Like I mention, as long as the player attempt it and ask for help when it is required, it doesnt bother me much.

But nonetheless the way Bungie set things up is poor and encourages people asking to be carried before and now.

FyreWulff

I know the buy last gen get new gen promo is over, but if i buy the expansion pass on 360, will i get it on next gen too still?

I believe they mentioned in a recent Weekly Update that the offer is extended for House of Wolves.

If you are unsure you could contact Activision to verify.

The Digital Upgrade site says it's available and no longer mentions the original cutoff date of January 15th

http://www.destinythegame.com/digital-upgrade

edit: looking around the internet, the upgrade offer is now extended indefinitely

Some of us will never be as good as Zoba or e unstable.

I 100% agree. As for learn while beeing carried, depends on the carry. When your team hás zoba + a clan buddy the firefigh is usually over by the time i get tô it. Soooo beastly.

tick221

For me it's not the being carried part but that I can't seem to get good enough to contribute to my teammates. I've tried 3 different trials cards now and walk away feeling that I am the reason that the other two people didn't get anywhere.

I'm just tired of feeling like I'm holding others from winning, if that makes sense

Ken

Everyone has a skill ceiling mate, there's only so much practice you can do before you eventually plateau. Most players will never be as good as Zoba and Unstable, no matter how much they practice.

Sure, but you don't need to be Zoba or Unstable to hit a 9-0 as this thread has proved,

Honestly though, maybe Trials isn't for everyone. If Bungie wanted more people to see the Lighthouse they'd take obvious steps and changes towards making that happen. For now though it is working to get good or waiting for a carry.

Unstable

Might be intesting if we ever got a mode where there is no radar, no super, no grenades, and no exotics. Probably what ToO should have offered. A true hardcore mode that takes away all the crutches from players.

Destiny pvp is a fun diversion but for serious pvp I will still turn to my fighting games and other FPS. But still have hope Bungie will hire a much better pvp director in the future.

Once you start removing those fundamental gameplay elements from Destiny you'll end up with a very slow paced game. It'll stop being Destiny for better or worse.

I agree with some of your points. If someone gets carried through ToO, but they are actually trying to learn and get better, then I don't have a problem with that. However, it's the people that don't care to improve and just want an easy trip for the rewards, those are the ones that bother me. It makes ToO less meaningful.

I understand your point as well. I dont have a problem with learning along the way as well. Perhaps I should have mention that in my previous post.

edit:
Sure, but you don't need to be Zoba or Unstable to hit a 9-0 as this thread has proved,

Honestly though, maybe Trials isn't for everyone. If Bungie wanted more people to see the Lighthouse they'd take obvious steps and changes towards making that happen. For now though it is working to get good or waiting for a carry.

Yeah I mention that above, in the current state (well with everything Bungie has design with the game) it encourages asking to be carried. I really hope Bungie takes a good look at Destiny and see all the negatives and improve on it.

Deku Tree

I wonder if Deej will highlight any twitch ToO carry trains on the Bugie blog? Or even talk about the cash for ToO carry teams? Probably neither.

Siaynoqq

Once you start removing those fundamental gameplay elements from Destiny you'll end up with a very slow paced game. It'll stop being Destiny for better or worse.

Exactly.

Would be worse, in my opinion. Not offering some pro high level perspective here -- just don't think it would be as fun to play. Never got into competitive play in any other FPS but I can't get enough of it in Destiny, probably because of the elements people here are suggesting should be removed.

Sullichin

Maybe there will eventually be a Trials-esque Rumble mode. That would be awesome. For me, Trials is the best thing about Destiny now by far. I want more stuff like that. I haven't even tried level 34/35 POE yet. 35 seems particularly unfun.

Ken

Hopefully this doesn't sound too mean but haven't you already had like three trips to The Lighthouse already. Surely you learned something from those to help you this week.

Hey, did you miss you know the 3rd point where I said some of us don't have a team that knows your playstyle well? Or you gonna stick to just the first point?

I don't think any of the groups I went flawless with here knew my playstyle, especially since I never really mingled with anyone here in the Crucible before Trials. Your own adaptability and ability to put up a good fight is worth a lot though.

Namikaze1

Hopefully this doesn't sound too mean but haven't you already had like three trips to The Lighthouse already. Surely you learned something from those to help you this week.
Again. Read point 3.

Are people seriously just looking at the first goddamn point?

nOoblet16

Hey, did you miss you know the 3rd point where I said some of us don't have a team that knows your playstyle well? Or you gonna stick to just the first point?

I don't have a team either, and I am not Unstable/Zoba good. And I've been to mercury twice this week out of three tries, all with random people.

patchday

Yes of course you'd learn a ton while being carried. I'd never learn how to use the sword to down Crota w/o being instructed by Hawkian (Sword school). Granted, I still won't volunteer to use the sword lol but I can in a pinch

Ken

Again. Read point 3.

Are people seriously just looking at the first goddamn point?

I edited my post but I'll post it again:

I don't think any of the groups I went flawless with here knew my playstyle, especially since I never really mingled with anyone here in the Crucible before Trials. Your own adaptability and ability to put up a good fight is worth a lot. It's what nooblet said earlier about being able to make smart decisions on your own from experience.

Yes of course you'd learn a ton while being carried. I'd never learn how to use the sword to down Crota w/o being instructed by Hawkian (Sword school). Granted, I still won't volunteer to use the sword lol but I can in a pinch

Static PVE encounters don't really translate to PvP.

phen0m24

There is no secret sniping hole, Hudson was making the point that some people know exactly where to crouch or stand and exactly where to put the reticle from a distance unknown and angles unknown to "non-1337" players like myself.

Walk into arena - head shot
Walk around corner - head shot
Take different approach - head shot

Yeah we can learn, and I'm trying to learn awfully slowly, indeed, but this is really a case of trials by fire with a potentially unreachable barrier to entry. (Think Dota)

"Oh you're not leet? This isn't for you. Git gud." Blah

Byron and Hudson et al are just annoyed that the best versions of guns are only obtained via this Avenue. Guns we want to use in PvE are unavailable and we're salty.

The game wants us to get better? Either we quit or we try. Or we find help, which GAF is full of - amazing people who don't get enough rep, like Drizz and Rawr and Hawkian and Dhruv and now Unstable and EJ and TG and ToB. Guys who don't owe any of us anything. Glad for the many Sherpas here, and us non pvp pros need to be careful not to feel entitled.

This weekend 8-2 has been my goal for e-light, but I haven't been able to break 5. I was doing well last night for a bit, but then got shook after two teams steam rolled us. Then I was so desperate to offset the losses that I fell back to playing like shit. Then I just got tired. I don't want to be carried, I just want to roll with someone that can not only hold their own, but also pick up just a bit of my slack.

It's been a ton of fun, but I just feel like I'm spinning my wheel in the loot department. Plus I'm not getting xp on my unleveld gear, because lol I sure don't need that handicap in ToO.

patchday

I very strongly suspect Comet will bring private lobbies. The game's longevity will ultimately depend on a thriving PvP community like any other shooter and the lack of custom matches has made it a competitive stillborn despite the fantastic groundwork. A private match with no Supers, Heavies, Radar and perhaps even Exotics would feel like a different game - which is why I think they haven't done it. They'll eventually have to open the doors and let clans do their thing though.

I'd love it so much. We had SWAT mode in Halo and it was a regular game mode. Just wish they'd offer more options to expand this already very fun base we have

Hey, I went 9-0 last week with two people I've never played PvP with before (thanks blaze and gunawi!), so that isn't always a problem if everyone is communicating. I've only been 9-0 once this week and that was with Unstable.

There's been lies spread that I'm a great PvP player, but I'm pretty average myself.

nOoblet16

This weekend 8-2 has been my goal for e-light, but I haven't been able to break 5. I was doing well last night for a bit, but then got shook after two teams steam rolled us. Then I was so desperate to offset the losses that I feel back to playing like shit. Then I just got tired. I don't want to be carried, I just want to roll with someone that can not only hold their own, but also pick up just a bit of my slack.

It's been a ton of fun, but I just feel like I'm spinning my wheel in the loot department.

This is the reality of it, you can't win everything but you can damn well get to a point where you can win most of it. I can guarantee that if you keep to it then in few weeks you'll be there..simply because you are used to it and you don't die silly deaths (this alone improves the game so much)

patchday

I edited my post but I'll post it again:

I don't think any of the groups I went flawless with here knew my playstyle, especially since I never really mingled with anyone here in the Crucible before Trials. Your own adaptability and ability to put up a good fight is worth a lot. It's what nooblet said earlier about being able to make smart decisions on your own from experience.

Static PVE encounters don't really translate to PvP.

It's the transfer of knowledge and organization that these guys will ultimately learn while being carried. Of course it'll be great exposure for these guys to get into a team with unstable/Zoba/etc. It's the equivalent of the Sword/VoG schools

Ken

There is no secret sniping hole, Hudson was making the point that some people know exactly where to crouch or stand and exactly where to put the reticle from a distance unknown and angles unknown to "non-1337" players like myself.

Yeah we can learn, and I'm trying to learn awfully slowly, indeed, but this is really a case of trials by fire with a potentially unreachable barrier to entry. (Think Dota)

"Oh you're not leet? This isn't for you. Git gud." Blah

Byron and Hudson et al are just annoyed that the best versions of guns are only obtained via this Avenue. Guns we want to use in PvE are unavailable and we're salty.

The game wants us to get better? Either we quit or we try. Or we find help, which GAF is full of - amazing people who don't get enough rep, like Drizz and Rawr and Hawkian and Dhruv and now Unstable and EJ and TG and ToB. Guys who don't owe any of us anything. Glad for the many Sherpas here, and us non pvp pros need to be careful not to feel entitled.

The secret hole I use is to aim at where the enemy has to walk in from.

I don't really care if people want to get carried to get Adept weapons but it's really not good for the population in the long run, especially once the people doing the carries move on or quit, is my point.

This weekend 8-2 has been my goal for e-light, but I haven't been able to break 5. I was doing well last night for a bit, but then got shook after two teams steam rolled us. Then I was so desperate to offset the losses that I feel back to playing like shit. Then I just got tired. I don't want to be carried, I just want to roll with someone that can not only hold their own, but also pick up just a bit of my slack.

It's been a ton of fun, but I just feel like I'm spinning my wheel in the loot department. Plus I'm not getting xp on my unleveld gear, because lol I sure don't need that handicap in ToO.

I'm sorry. :(

It's the transfer of knowledge and organization that these guys will ultimately learn while being carried. Of course it'll be great exposure for these guys to get into a team with unstable/Zoba/etc. It's the equivalent of the Sword/VoG schools

What can you transfer out of 30 second wins when you haven't even fired a shot yet?

E92 M3

I had a relatively high disdain for PVP and zero interest in trials pre-launch. Now it's my favorite activity. The intense action brings me back to the Halo 2 days where losing a match would result in rank loss. I can't believe I'm saying this, but PVP has overtaken PVE for me.

Deku Tree

The problem I see with all the people saying get better and find a good team and you don't need a carry train to go 9-0 in ToO and you don't need to be a PvP God is that it's much easier for the long time Good PvP players saying that to find a decent team.

Even the people that I've played destiny with for hundreds of hours don't invite me to their ToO trains and they instead look on their FL for the best PvP players they can find to fill out their squad to give themselves the best chance to go 9-0 and I don't blame them. If they invited me they would probably have a harder time going 9-0.

Namikaze1

Hey, I went 9-0 last week with two people I've never played PvP with before (thanks blaze and gunawi!), so that isn't always a problem if everyone is communicating. I've only been 9-0 once this week and that was with Unstable.

There's been lies spread that I'm a great PvP player, but I'm pretty average myself.
That's good for you but when every team you've been with this weekend hasn't even gotten past 4 wins and you have to restart shit all over again and again and again and again, you'll be as pissed off as I am. Doesn't help most teams you faced are clans and you have trolls that teabag you throughout the match.

patchday

I'm surprised to read this man. I've raided with you a lot and you always brought it.

I'd be down to run Trials with you when I get on later. I would run it right now but I gotta go do family stuff. I went 9-2 last week. Surely we could probably get you 8 wins. Just stock up on 9 passage coins so you can buy the favors

phen0m24

The secret hole I use is to aim at where the enemy has to walk in from.

I don't really care if people want to get carried to get Adept weapons but it's really not good for the population in the long run, especially once the people doing the carries move on or quit, is my point.

I know I'm a long winded slob but I essentially agreed with you in my last paragraph. Just saying.

;)

nOoblet16

And from all those encounters you should know where not to walk and where to expect a sniper (they are always in the same area). If you are sniping yourself and you know your aim is not fast enough then you should avoid direct sniper engagement unless you feel you are at an advantage position wise. It comes down to decision making again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom