• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT22| Game of Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siaynoqq

I recommend skipping it. That what I'm doing.

I did it twice and I still agree with your decision. Unless it's your first 35 and you really want the basic emblem, shader, ship loot (which is what got me to do it the first time), the headaches and possible loooong sessions aren't worth it.

Been a while since I've posted in here but I have to agree with the sentiment that Byron made earlier. Despite the stupid number of completions with the previous expansion and with Vanilla Destiny HoW just hasn't grabbed a hold of me. Last weekend I sat down and completed the story of the new expansion then PoE and even tried my hand at Trials and I have to be honest...it feels like it's missing something. It's just not fun to me which is sad because I really wanted it to be awesome. Oh well; maybe this expansion isn't for me.

Edit: also learned that I straight blow at PvP. Couldn't break 2 wins in Trials...straight embarrassing right there.

patchday

The secret hole I use is to aim at where the enemy has to walk in from.

I don't really care if people want to get carried to get Adept weapons but it's really not good for the population in the long run, especially once the people doing the carries move on or quit, is my point.

of course most of us will quit ToO at some point. Because it's the same old crap we've been doing since beta. ToO isn't new content. It's just skirmish with the promise of ultimate virtual loot at the end of it

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Add me as a friend. If I'm on .. I'm down. In the U.S. East Coast so only a 5 hour difference.

PSN - sajj316

Thank you. I will.

---

As for the trials discussion, my 2 pence is that, for me, being carried is not fun. I'm not so desperate for the loot that I'd be happy to just be a passenger in a team.

I think I've mentioned before that Destiny (again, for me) can induce a state of real addiction and almost greed in wanting all of the shiny things that the game can offer. It's sometimes hard to pare that away from what the real fun is. I enjoy the pvp and I'm loving practicising in skirmish, learning the maps, watching YouTube tutorials and really trying to make myself more skilled. I've never really seriously played any FPS MP, so it's a fascinating new world of TTK, builds, strategy and memorisation.

I'd like it so when I go to the trials I can carry myself and really enjoy that high-pressure environment.

I do have to remind myself sometimes that it's not a race to get all of the shinies and that this expansion is meant to last a good few months - and that GAF is a place for the hardiest of hardcore gamers so of course everyone's gonna be 34 before the end of the first week or frantically striving towards it!

Namikaze1

It's the transfer of knowledge and organization that these guys will ultimately learn while being carried. Of course it'll be great exposure for these guys to get into a team with unstable/Zoba/etc. It's the equivalent of the Sword/VoG schools
This. Zoba actually takes time to explain what we should do in a situation. It's something I picked up from him. I've gotten better in reading situations since then. And that was because he took the time to explain stuff. He didn't need to. He could've just done all the carrying but instead chose to impart some knowledge to us.

It doesn't help that warlock is my least favorite class and I suck ass with it in everything. Give me Hunter or Titan any day.

Ken

of course most of us will quit ToO at some point. Because it's the same old crap we've been doing since beta. ToO isn't new content. It's just skirmish with the promise of ultimate virtual loot at the end of it

It's fun. Same reason I kept playing Halo multiplayer for years and that game didn't have loot.

patchday

It's fun. Same reason I kept playing Halo multiplayer for years and that game didn't have loot.

Yeah but Halo had a an epic crap ton of game modes. Like SWAT (which had no grenades & powers). We're missing all that content here.

I'm referring to Halo 3 / Reach

In destiny, all we got is deathmatch variants. I was glad to see Inferno Control (no radar) but that event only lasted a week

nOoblet16

Trials train is not the equivalent of sword/VoG school because you get to try out things for yourself in those and failure is expected. When you play with Unstable and Zoba, winning is the goal and you don't get to try out much yourself since you yourself will barely engage any enemy and the matches will be over far too quickly. If you are able to use what you learn and be able to pull your own weight in those train then yes you've learned.

The point I am trying to make is that the match you experience while playing with a top 50 player is a different kind of match than what even many of us regular PvPer experience...and because of that you don't learn much.

phen0m24

Sigh.
I write too much.
1) Non pvp pros want the best gear too.
we suck though.
We want to learn but everyone (else) is awesome or l337 (lies a lazy person tells themselves)
We want to be carried because reasons.
We are trying not to feel entitled to pro help but again see #1.

We need to practice to be good to get those guns we want. Find a mentor, not a carrier and we'll all be better off.

Can we stow the salt back in the cabinet? ;)

Edit: I don't have an emblem or loot from ToO so I say this as one trying to learn as well.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
This. Zoba actually takes time to explain what we should do in a situation. It's something I picked up from him. I've gotten better in reading situations since then. And that was because he took the time to explain stuff. He didn't need to. He could've just done all the carrying but instead chose to impart some knowledge to us.

It doesn't help that warlock is my least favorite class and I suck ass with it in everything. Give me Hunter or Titan any day.

This sounds good too. I'd love it if there was some kind of pvp dojo here on GAF (just not necessarily in the Trials).

c1rcae

This sounds good too. I'd love it if there was some kind of pvp dojo here on GAF (just not necessarily in the Trials).

Hawkian is doing a ToO dojo tonight - not exactly what you were referring to, but still a low pressure environment to learn tactics and teamwork.

It's the transfer of knowledge and organization that these guys will ultimately learn while being carried. Of course it'll be great exposure for these guys to get into a team with unstable/Zoba/etc. It's the equivalent of the Sword/VoG schools

Yeah, this is what I need this week. Some transfer of knowledge. Last week was great, I hooked up with some knowledgeable guys (including Ken which was my flawless run), but this week it's been "Um...which way should we go? I don't know..." from everyone in every team.

Yeah but Halo had a an epic crap ton of game modes. Like SWAT (which had no grenades & powers). We're missing all that content here.

In destiny, all we got is deathmatch variants. I was glad to see Inferno Control (no radar) but that event only lasted a week

The whole game is very lacklust IMO. Its the same "crap" since the alpha and beta. Frankly I was shocked at pvp since it lacks many features of standard FPS multiplayer modes. I enjoy the raids and enjoy playing with DGAF thus I played this game for a very very long time.

That's good for you but when every team you've been with this weekend hasn't even gotten past 4 wins and you have to restart shit all over again and again and again and again, you'll be as pissed off as I am. Doesn't help most teams you faced are clans and you have trolls that teabag you throughout the match.
That happens to everyone. I went 6-3 on my first card this week, which was pretty humbling after last week. I haven't even bothered on my Titan and Warlock yet.

Once you start removing those fundamental gameplay elements from Destiny you'll end up with a very slow paced game. It'll stop being Destiny for better or worse.

I added you Unstable. I think after the amount of time (13 hours+) I spent yesterday on trials, I might just be better off and sane waiting for some GAF trains to board like yours.

I've got a decent group and when iron banner comes around we win pretty much every match we get a train going.

Three of us who are normally at the top of the scoreboard who play together often in pvp and pve entered trials last week. Best we could manage was 6 wins including the buffs.

This week the best we could do is 1 win. Games we lost were not even close. The skill difference was obvious and where we would normally win our individual 1v1s we would lose more often than not.

It seemed like all the very weak teams either kept well away or split up to get sherpa'd. The average teams who did well last week turned up this week and had to battle for their wins. Next week is only gonna get worse. Those that struggled this week may not return next week and it'll only get harder for everyone.

No one enjoys getting beat repeatedly so the active numbers in trials is going to drop rapidly leaving only the very best. Therefore locking out ~80-90% of destinys user base from the Mercury loot.

I'm fine with this, but all the same I would like to visit it at least once. But with the matchmaking it means it's pure RNG on avoiding teams that will stomp everyone

Yeah, I mentioned this earlier in this OT. I worry about the longevity of ToO. Once everyone has all the armor and weapons they want, there's nothing really to keep players coming back. They also said they were going to add elimination to the playlists later down the line, so it won't even be exclusive to ToO. I honestly see a huge drop off in the amount of players in ToO as the weeks progress.

patchday

Man this is going to be a CASH4CROTA$ situation all over again. GAF is lucky the pros are not charging to carry (yet). But demand is so high they might have to

Ken

Ew, SWAT.

3v3 objectives would be interesting but I'm content with TDM.

It is pretty amazing how much of a step back Bungie has taken as a developer with the PvP, but I guess that describes the entire game too, to be honest. No red X on death replaced by a generic skull that you can't even tell which teammate is which is bad.

That's good for you but when every team you've been with this weekend hasn't even gotten past 4 wins and you have to restart shit all over again and again and again and again, you'll be as pissed off as I am. Doesn't help most teams you faced are clans and you have trolls that teabag you throughout the match.

Trust me, I was playing with LFG guys and we kept facing clan after clan after clan, tea bags and all.

nOoblet16

I just went 4-3 on my Titan despite playing with a good player like Akai. Losses happen and it's very frustrating when they happen...especially when you see yourself get out-skilled and then teabagged.

sajj316

I think I'll wait out on pro trials players to have their fill for the first few months. PvP scrub-but-not-too-bad like me will pick off the remains later. Until then, I will hone in skills with regular PvP. I'll still play it here and there and try to get better.

todd360

I'm gonna get on trials after I get home from hair cut and lunch. Can't wait to use my speed blitz tatic again. Gonna have to find people to play with.

noomi

awww yiss, 3rd elder cipher get! Better yet, the small chest dropped a treasure key I needed :D

Thanks Drizz & Rain!

I've got a decent group and when iron banner comes around we win pretty much every match we get a train going.

Three of us who are normally at the top of the scoreboard who play together often in pvp and pve entered trials last week. Best we could manage was 6 wins including the buffs.

This week the best we could do is 1 win. Games we lost were not even close. The skill difference was obvious and where we would normally win our individual 1v1s we would lose more often than not.

It seemed like all the very weak teams either kept well away or split up to get sherpa'd. The average teams who did well last week turned up this week and had to battle for their wins. Next week is only gonna get worse. Those that struggled this week may not return next week and it'll only get harder for everyone.

No one enjoys getting beat repeatedly so the active numbers in trials is going to drop rapidly leaving only the very best. Therefore locking out ~80-90% of destinys user base from the Mercury loot.

I'm fine with this, but all the same I would like to visit it at least once. But with the matchmaking it means it's pure RNG on avoiding teams that will stomp everyone

Exactly, it would balance things out a bit because getting non stop clans is not fun in any shape or form.

nOoblet16

Yeah, I mentioned this earlier in this OT. I worry about the longevity of ToO. Once everyone has all the armor and weapons they want, there's nothing really to keep players coming back. They also said they were going to add elimination to the playlists later down the line, so it won't even be exclusive to ToO. I honestly see a huge drop off in the amount of players in ToO as the weeks progress.

People will play ToO because of the challenge. Those things about longevity applies to everything in the game honestly.

Ken

I think I'll wait out on pro trials players to have their fill for the first few months. PvP scrub-but-not-too-bad like me will pick off the remains later. Until then, I will hone in skills with regular PvP. I'll still play it here and there and try to get better.

I have this feeling all the pros are waiting for the last day trials to shut down as many groups as they can.

Exactly, it would balance things out a bit because getting non stop clans is not fun in any shape or form.

I assume that's why they enforce premades on both teams?

Marvel

could never
Byron are you cosmos man on psn? I may be able to help you out later if you have space. Just seen your party inv can't join atm bud.

Amazon money. I'd do anything for amazon money.

H0qmMxW.gif

Namikaze1

I learned far more playing with Zoba than I did playing alone. It doesn't help that the last several matches I played on my lonesome, I have been matched with (semi) full fireteams / clans. It doesn't help when your blueberry teammates split off or leave in the middle of the match. Doesn't help when they ignore to revive you in skirmish when you're right next to them or go afk. Shit still happens and it has happened one too many times recently.

patchday

Yeah, this is what I need this week. Some transfer of knowledge. Last week was great, I hooked up with some knowledgeable guys (including Ken which was my flawless run), but this week it's been "Um...which way should we go? I don't know..." from everyone in every team.

I think I'll be back home at around 3pm CDT. The only thing that might screw us is that map Patheon. Haven't done ToO yet this week but I've watched streams. Anyway we can at least give it a go. I'll look for ya if you're around.

Anyone have a quick guide for someone jumping back into the game? I haven't played since before the first expansion came out. Got to level 29 back then.

I have this feeling all the pros are waiting for the last day trials to shut down as many groups as they can.

I assume that's why they enforce premades on both teams?

I guess so, but some scrubs like myself couldnt find a regular group to play with so had to resort to LFG which is more or less like a matchmade team :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom