• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT22| Game of Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

See the thing is, when gamers pay $20 for dlc content, they assume they will be able to play and experience all of it and get their money's worth. The changes to Destiny brought in by HoW are mostly great but the way content is locked behind skill and gear will surely annoy players.

20 bucks and you still need to either git gud or get lucky. No wonder people are pissed off.

You can play all of the DLC content at least at the base difficulty with vendor gear taking you to level 32. That requires zero luck.

Idk, Trials definitely rekindled some of the fire that kept me playing Halo MP so I could see myself playing that for a bit longer.

PvP is pretty enjoyable and rewarding though. Too bad a lot of people will miss it because the carry train is more comfy.

Also agreed, Its great the pvp players can help the community out, but I find the list thing kinda silly. Welp I guess what rubs me in the wrong way is people are waiting around, expecting to be carried. Atleast attempt to work for it, earn it and ask for help when you cant. Perhaps its Bungie's fault for making it harsh, could have been less restricting. However I did spent alot of time personally killing Crota HM previously. I dont mind helping out if the group gave it a shot and cant get it, but sometime I did just jump in and killed Crota..hmm being a hypocrite now :lol

Of course, noting against Zoba, Unstable, Tears, EJ..you guys are awesome and great Pvp players.

The list just rubs me in a wrong way, however I do understand it makes things alot organize for you guys. haha maybe this just shows I rather go with the flow instead of waiting around for a list.

Ken

Well it's a totally new game mode with Raid-tier armor and weapon rewards behind it. HoW in my opinion has far exceeded the super low bar set by TDB in all regards: better Story, better PvP maps, overhauled quality of life, better Exotics, better new Strike. The stuff they added matches or surpasses launch content, but I feel a Raid or additional Strike or two would have been the perfect expansion.

It's a new game mode but is there a reason why elimination couldn't be added at launch, TDB, or in a small patch? Just feels like a weak bullet point when trying to sell the expansion.

I also don't think PoE is bad. It's a fresh Raid-tier activity which dropped the ball more in terms of loot design than anything else. A token system for guaranteed drops is fantastic. The stuff dropping at attack/defense cap is also fantastic. It's just mind-boggling that the perks on the weapons are so bad.

PoE's ok and the Qodron fight has gotten me optimistic for what other new fights they have coming.

Itemization of all the new gear has been pretty lackluster, but I guess when legendary gear doesn't have set stats they can roll you end up with 500 STR PoE heroes.

Shito

See the thing is, when gamers pay $20 for dlc content, they assume they will be able to play and experience all of it and get their money's worth. The changes to Destiny brought in by HoW are mostly great but the way content is locked behind skill and gear will surely annoy players.

20 bucks and you still need to either git gud or get lucky. No wonder people are pissed off.
I've been saying for a few weeks now that Bungie should drop the difficulty a bit. Drop the bosses HP, spawn less adds and make the burns not be "one hit kill" galore.
There is no need for the end game content to be THAT punishing when it is already gated by weekly rewards and very low-rate drop RNG. We shouldn't be hearing about Kadey spending more than 8 hours to complete PoE 35 while there is no checkpoint in it and no guaranteed reward from it.
Ease up on the frustration and the "hardcore" mentality, Bungie, this kind of shit will make us quit the mode faster than it will tie us in to it!

[EDIT]
Also, yeah, no reason why PoE shouldn't have matchmaking all the way up to 35.

noomi

Lulz

TCquHnD.jpg

sajj316

I'm really enjoying this expansion. It's brought me back to the game in a big way, and I'd put my first 34 run of the Prison of Elders fairly near to my first Vault of Glass as just a really great gaming experience.

I also have household responsibilities and a demanding career, but so far fate has been kind and I've been able to make time to have some really great gaming.

My huge complaint is an old one : matchmaking. I don't see why there can't be matchmaking for the later Prison of Elders levels. And, for as much as I'm immensely grateful to this community, it is frustrating not being able just to log on and start playing what I'd like. I know it only takes up to 20 minutes to organise a party but it's still flow-breaking and adds a time pressure to things - if I happen to have a couple of hours free I don't want to have to spend half an hour stressing about finding people.

Exactly where I'm at. However I'm glad that I responded to a GAF post last night and got PoE 32 and Nightfall done in the same night .. and rather quickly.

Siaynoqq

Also agreed, Its great the pvp players can help the community out, but I find the list thing kinda silly. Welp I guess what rubs me in the wrong way is people are waiting around, expecting to around to be carried. Atleast attempt to work for it, earn it and ask for help when you cant. Perhaps its Bungie's fault for making it harsh, could have been less restricting. However I did spent alot of time personally killing Crota HM previously. I dont mind helping out if the group gave it a shot and cant get it, but sometime I did just jump in and killed Crota..hmm being a hypocrite now :lol

Of course, noting against Zoba, Unstable, Tears, EJ..you guys are awesome and great Pvp players.

The list just rubs me in a wrong way, however I do understand it makes things alot organize for you guys. haha maybe this just shows I rather go with the flow instead of waiting around for a list.

Personally, I found that after being carried once, I was getting far less frustrated with later runs and was just generally more relaxed, which ultimately allowed me to play better and reach the lighthouse without the help of the good folk here.

Personally, I found that after being carried once, I was getting far less frustrated with later runs and was just generally more relaxed, which ultimately allowed me to play better and reach the lighthouse without the help of the good folk here.

Thats good! Welp perhaps its also my own personality and ideas. Atleast attempt to do it and ask for help when its required. But at the same time, I do understand how skill is involved and why the list occurred. Which I can only shift the blame on Bungie for making the restriction harsh. But its whatever in the end and each their own, just me ranting :p

bitsurugi

Crux of Crota get!!! Finally! Thanks Drizz, Noomi, Bits, Praetorathon, and Sulli!

Congratz mate, glad i could be of help!

Also BIG THANKS to Drizz for the help in my last Mercury trip, we won every match, but maaaan... there was not a single easy match, lots of sunsingers, final round efrideths and laaag. But we prevailed! :D

Crux hype for Scrub Sword Supreme Master Macello!! Glad I was there for it to finally drop after running sword on so many Crux-less kills.

Of course he scrubbed up sword running super hard and got smacked down after the first shield break. Sat around watching the non-scrubs play and then *boom* Crux drop!

But seriously, it was long overdue and well deserved! :)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Exactly where I'm at. However I'm glad that I responded to a GAF post last night and got PoE 32 and Nightfall done in the same night .. and rather quickly.

Yeah, for sure.

It's the raids which can be frustrating. But I guess that's partially me - I'm generally quite a nervous person so speaking to 5 new people, together with the added pressure of wanting to do well, combined with the whole matchmaking annoyance (and living in an EU timezone), make raids rather a pain to arrange. It's a good job that the experience and (some of) the loot make it worthwhile. :)

Level 24 warlock here heading for the big time!
Psn: templarfreeman

Looking for some friends to get to the vault of glass, grinding multi to get good gear...

Sullichin

Congrats Sullichin. Who did you end up going with?

Two random people. Someone invited me in the reef. There were a couple of really close matches and I used up my free loss when I had 8 wins.
But one of the guys was one match behind me and the other, and when we did another game for him he got disconnected and lost his 9-0. :(

Ken

I guess I can't understand that viewpoint. Developer has to appeal to a bunch of demographics and I can accept some stuff won't be meant for me and live with it. Maybe it's worse with this because the content is so thin? I don't know.

Also agreed, Its great the pvp players can help the community out, but I find the list thing kinda silly. Welp I guess what rubs me in the wrong way is people are waiting around, expecting to be carried. Atleast attempt to work for it, earn it and ask for help when you cant. Perhaps its Bungie's fault for making it harsh, could have been less restricting. However I did spent alot of time personally killing Crota HM previously. I dont mind helping out if the group gave it a shot and cant get it, but sometime I did just jump in and killed Crota..hmm being a hypocrite now :lol

Coming from MMOs, I've found that carries usually don't help anyone since you just produce people who probably don't know how to do the activity properly but still technically have a sign of a clear. Then they run off and flaunt their clear and get wrecked when they need to run the thing again. It's just a little gross to me I suppose.

Oh well, at this point I'm just babbling before I fall asleep lol.

Deku Tree

By week 4, once most players have gotten all 4 PoE and ToO armor sets and most weapons, things will again slow down.

Destiny is a loot game, not a content game.

I wonder if they'll do helmets on week four or not.... Or will they make us wait longer for the helmets? Bungie seems pretty seroius about making us wait for the helmet.

Ken

Two random people. Someone invited me in the reef. There were a couple of really close matches and I used up my free loss when I had 8 wins.
But one of the guys was one match behind me and the other, and when we did another game for him he got disconnected and lost his 9-0. :(

I was told it's impossible to find 9-0 groups unless I get on THE LIST.

I wonder if they'll do helmets on week four or not.... Or will they make us wait longer for the helmets? Bungie seems pretty seroius about making us wait for the helmet.

Would be interesting if they kept them behind the 8 wins package.

Crux hype for Scrub Sword Supreme Master Macello!! Glad I was there for it to finally drop after running sword on so many Crux-less kills.

Of course he scrubbed up sword running super hard and got smacked down after the first shield break. Sat around watching the non-scrubs play and then *boom* Crux drop!

But seriously, it was long overdue and well deserved! :)
Now to get my first damn elder cipher!

sajj316

Yeah, for sure.

It's the raids which can be frustrating. But I guess that's partially me - I'm generally quite a nervous person so speaking to 5 new people, together with the added pressure of wanting to do well, combined with the whole matchmaking annoyance (and living in an EU timezone), make raids rather a pain to arrange. It's a good job that the experience and (some of) the loot make it worthwhile. :)

Add me as a friend. If I'm on .. I'm down. In the U.S. East Coast so only a 5 hour difference.

PSN - sajj316

Tower randoms, holy shit! Sucks for the disconnect guy though.

Sky Walker

CGVW5bOUAAAAA4H.jpg:large

YEEEEEEEEEES ! Finally !

I got a void summoner, I was hoping for solar jewel though.

All thanks to my wonderful friends for carrying me :")

Namikaze1

Idk, Trials definitely rekindled some of the fire that kept me playing Halo MP so I could see myself playing that for a bit longer.

PvP is pretty enjoyable and rewarding though. Too bad a lot of people will miss it because the carry train is more comfy.
Sorry some of us don't have above average PvP skills or a tight group of friends who can handle their own weight. :/

patchday

hehe grats. so far I've only gotten the 8 wins package. but I've been pvping since beta (when I'm not on break away from the game)

ocean

Banned
I've been saying for a few weeks now that Bungie should drop the difficulty a bit. Drop the bosses HP, spawn less adds and make the burns not be "one hit kill" galore.
There is no need for the end game content to be THAT punishing when it is already gated by weekly rewards and very low-rate drop RNG. We shouldn't be hearing about Kadey spending more than 8 hours to complete PoE 35 while there is no checkpoint in it and no guaranteed reward from it.
Ease up on the frustration and the "hardcore" mentality, Bungie, this kind of shit will make us quit the mode faster than it will tie us in to it!

[EDIT]
Also, yeah, no reason why PoE shouldn't have matchmaking all the way up to 35.
I think the game needed content this hard. I am totally OK with never reaching Mercury - I think it's fair that better players than I get their spoils as a reward for their talent. It's not like they'll have an objective advantage over me loot-wise. They'll have really cool weapons I have equivalents of, as a prestige mark of their success. I think that's cool and was necessary.

PoE 35 can be easy or rough. Very inconsistent. Done it twice: one run took 3 hours and 47 minutes. The other took 15 minutes. Margin for error is razor thin but I think it's doable. The problem with Skolas isn't so much the difficulty but rather how stingy he is with drops. If the Kinetic primaries didn't exist, and he'd drop an elemental Primary 50-75% of the time I think it'd be an attractive encounter. Or at least no less attractive than Crota. As it is, it's a very challenging encounter which you leave with nothing to show for your efforts, which is what I believe the actual problem is.

Daemul

Might be intesting if we ever got a mode where there is no radar, no super, no grenades, and no exotics. Probably what ToO should have offered. A true hardcore mode that takes away all the crutches from players.

This is what competitive players are waiting for but Bungie is taking its sweet time in implementing it. It's looking more and more like we'll end up having to wait for Bungie to add in private lobbies so that we can make these changes ourselves, because Bungie seem reluctant to add a mode which provides us all of this for some reason, only going as far as adding a no radar mode for a short period of time but nothing else.

The day that we can play a PvP match without supers and heavy ammo will be a glorious one, the boys will be separated from the men.

EDIT:Top of the page!!!!

zychi

Banned
I know the buy last gen get new gen promo is over, but if i buy the expansion pass on 360, will i get it on next gen too still?

nOoblet16

Sorry some of us don't have above average PvP skills or a tight group of friends who can handle their own weight. :/

No he is right in the sense that you only learn when you get challenged, when you are in a train with extremely skilled people in your team you don't challenge yourself much and hence not learn. It's fun to play with them but it's even more fun if you yourself can play at a high level because then you can do some really crazy plays.

This is because majority of competitive PvP comes down to decision making rather than actual shooting skills (unless you are a sniper in which case you just need to git gud :p) this is because there's only so much you can do to improve your aim. This is why it doesn't really matter what sensitivity someone plays on or what controller they use because the gains you get there are marginal and only helpful when you are already at the top of you game and are limited by those things.

Decision making is the single most important factor, to engage or not to engage ? To revive or to throw a grenade ? etc etc

Ken

Yes and what the hell does that have to do with anything

It sounded like you were citing either a lack of PvP skills or a lack of a static group as the reason to need a carry. Both of those can be kind of corrected with practice for the former and using this thread/LFG sites for the latter?

ocean

Banned
This is what competitive players are waiting for but Bungie is taking its sweet time in implementing it. It's looking more and more like we'll end up having to wait for Bungie to add in private lobbies so that we can make these changes ourselves, because Bungie seem reluctant to add a mode which provides us all of this for some reason, only going as far as adding a no radar mode for a short period of time but nothing else.

The day that we can play a PvP match without supers and heavy ammo will be a glorious one.

EDIT:Top of the page!!!!
I very strongly suspect Comet will bring private lobbies. The game's longevity will ultimately depend on a thriving PvP community like any other shooter and the lack of custom matches has made it a competitive stillborn despite the fantastic groundwork. A private match with no Supers, Heavies, Radar and perhaps even Exotics would feel like a different game - which is why I think they haven't done it. They'll eventually have to open the doors and let clans do their thing though.

Deku Tree

Yeah most people are getting their elemental primaries from Mercury now because the drop rates from Skolas are so terribly low and Skolas arc burn is horrible anyway. I like that they are encouraging PvP but locking the best way to get PvE weapons behind a extreme skill based PvP mode was a bad idea and it is a bad business strategy because people play $20 for a DLC and the main content is the loot and the vast majority of players will never get the ToO elemental primaries.

Did you try practicing PvP? Not like people just get born good at PvP lol...

That's not fair. As we practice basic skills, the other people are perfecting their strategy and learning how to snipe through that one little hole that no one else even knows existed.

I've gotten much better just this week, but the competition has exploded.

Sullichin

CGVW5bOUAAAAA4H.jpg:large

YEEEEEEEEEES ! Finally !

I got a void summoner, I was hoping for solar jewel though.

All thanks to my wonderful friends for carrying me :")

Congrats! I got void scholar and was also hoping for solar jewel.

Tower randoms, holy shit! Sucks for the disconnect guy though.
Yeah, it worked out surprisingly well. We were all pretty good but not amazing. Wish we got flawless when we played before though. Maybe I'll try again on my Warlock but I've played this game a lot this weekend....it's 9 in the morning and I haven't slept yet.

Ken

That's not fair. As we practice basic skills, the other people are perfecting their strategy and learning how to snipe through that one little hole that no one else even knows existed.

I've gotten much better just this week, but the competition has exploded.

With 5 days between Trials and the map changing week to week I think that's a decent amount of time to work on PvP!

I mean...I quit the game before TDB and only came back a week before HoW so I had seen Pantheon like twice and I didn't need to know about the secret sniping hole.

I still don't know what secret sniping hole there is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom