• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT22| Game of Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

Sol, I love you.

animation1lusrf.gif

TP-DK

Nope. Never had that happen. The only weapon that is occasionally funky is Pocket Infinity, though I think they fixed that a long time ago. Haven't used it on ages.

Weird, cause its the only weapon that jams for me. Voc and Bad Juju are fine.

It can jam often for me, I'm thinking lag though.

Nah if lag was the case then it would happen to other weapons as well.

I manually fire it. Better control.

I just cant seem to fire that quickly manually.

Not overly impressed with the DLC. The raids were fun to play even Crota. PoE, I'm getting bored of already. Not really a fan off horde modes after Mad Moxxis underdome.

ToO is a nice idea, but really isn't added content and feels like a really lazy way of adding to the game.

Always leaving people out as well as we've gotten used to having 6 player content and constantly have 4-5 players online trying to fit into 3 slots.

raindoc

Does The Last Word jam for anyone else?
I love the weapon, but with the full auto being broken on it, I cant get myself to use it.

Yep. Tested in PvP with different controllers, it seems to happen more often in lagging games. If the match is lagging like hell, it won't work at all (for me).

No issues with VoC since they patched it, but I haven't tried that in PvP yet - just like I didn't test TLW in PvE.

Hey guys doing some bounties if anyone needs one for 34 Poe id love to tag along im 33 but have maxed ghorn psn is Legendkilla3rd.

Would also be down to ToO though i am 33 i have max thorn,TLW etc just not too good as i rarely pvp but i need etheric.

Mercury doesn't give gear as far as I know

I've been there 6 times and have only gotten elemental primaries, random exotic chance, emblem, etheric light, etc.

Shito

When the progression system for the House of Wolves was announced, I was pretty ecstatic, along with most of the community. The idea of leveling up my favorite gear and weapons along with the new HoW toys was smart and exactly what Destiny needed to keep the sandbox relevent. Between new HoW gear and the etheric light/ascending system, I thought I'd have several paths forward for my characters.

In reality, for a PvE player such as myself, it's even more limiting than The Dark Below was. There, progression was tied to raid gear (again, just a PvE player), but a few runs on each character is what it took to get the gear. At the least, I felt somewhat in control of my own progression, even if the shard requirements were unreasonable.

Right now my only reliable path forward is to run the level 32 Prison of Elders for the armor cores, and buy what Variks has on rotation each week. Assuming I run it three times a week, I can get everyone to max level in three weeks. I've run it twice and accidentally wasted one of my cores. (Whoops.) This means I'll end up with the one set with the higher light levels, as with TDB, which is what I thought the etheric light system was designed to fix.

(After six Nightfalls, the sixth granted etheric light, which I use to bring Fatebringer up to 365. My Titan was feeling how underleveled it was in the Weekly/Nightfall. It's clear the NF won't be a reliable or predictable way to progress.)

I don't understand why we have to run a level 34 activity to get the upgrade materials needed to get us to level 34. I don't understand why treasure keys are so extraordinarily rare. (Outside of the story progression, I got one and my daughter has received zero after two weeks of bounties.) And I really don't understand why etheric light is just dropped into the Nightfalls as a possible reward, rather than added to the second drop slot so we can progress our own gear at a moderate pace (that would also get 3 characters to level 34 in three weeks, as with Variks...but using the gear of our choice.)

I have no plans to attempt the level 34 PoE again any time soon, unless it's substantially rebalanced. Up to the boss was fine, the boss himself....nope. This is making something hard in the wrong way; it wasn't fun, it wasn't interesting, and it wasn't something I ever want to do again. I don't like the level 32 boss either, but he's a more reasonable proposition. Faced with running level 34 PoE, or slowly leveling through Variks gear, I'll take the latter.

Right now I feel less in control of my progression than I have at any point since Destiny came out. It's a very frustrating development in what is otherwise a superb expansion.
As someone who is waiting to be 34 before attempting 34, and who has yet to see an etheric light, I'm with you on the feeling, and I have a bad news for you: tomorrow's 32 is going to be Qodron, if we follow suit with the trend set this week.
Bungie needs to ease up on the difficulty and the time investment they are asking of the players. The raids were fine on this point because they had checkpoints, and because they wised up on CE which finally awarded decent loot, but PoE activities should take an hour max to complete, which they would if the bosses of 34 and 35 were not so demanding and prone to a wipe at the very first little mistake. Qodron's mechanics are fine and clever, but the balance and execution is way off: they need to add a marker on the eye, and to make the detain fields kill you slower, all the while reducing the damage you do to them when you don't have the buff. But I'm sure the only line we'll read about this on a patch note will be something along the lines of "made it less probable for the eye to stuck himself in geometry for the Qodron's fight"...
Right now, there is a veeeery bad balance ratio between the time and frustration it takes to complete 34 and 35 versus the rewards it can yield. Bungie either need to keep the "challenge" as it is but bump the drop rates WAY up, or keep this drop rate but make the level 34 become 33, and 35 becomes 34.

Jinjo

As someone who is waiting to be 34 before attempting 34, and who has yet to see an etheric light, I'm with you on the feeling, and I have a bad news for you: tomorrow's 32 is going to be Qodron, if we follow suit with the trend set this week.
Bungie needs to ease up on the difficulty and the time investment they are asking of the players. The raids were fine on this point because they had checkpoints, and because they wised up on CE which finally awarded decent loot, but PoE activities should take an hour max to complete, which they would if the bosses of 34 and 35 were not so demanding and prone to a wipe at the very first little mistake. Qodron's mechanics are fine and clever, but the balance and execution is way off: they need to add a marker on the eye, and to make the detain fields kill you slower, all the while reducing the damage you do to them when you don't have the buff. But I'm sure the only line we'll read about this on a patch note will be something along the lines of "made it less probable for the eye to stuck himself in geometry for the Qodron's fight"...
Right now, there is a veeeery bad balance ratio between the time and frustration it takes to complete 34 and 35 versus the rewards it can yield. Bungie either need to keep the "challenge" as it is but bump the drop rates WAY up, or keep this drop rate but make the level 34 become 33, and 35 becomes 34.

Enemies being one level higher than your max possible level should be banished all together. It was dumb for Crota HM, everyone said so, it is dumb for Skolas. VoG didn't have that on HM and it still was difficult, because it was actually challenging and well-though out gameplay encounters all the way through. No dumb burns either.

HoW actually might turn me away from a PvE player into a PvP player.

deadduck

they need to stop nerfing entire weapon classes and start targetting problem weapons. hand cannons aren't the problem - thorn and the last word are. all of the other hand cannons are balanced by their rate of fire.

Totally agree, I think HM is fine. My suggestion would be:

Thorn needs a range/accuracy nerf. DoT should only affect headshots rather than spamming body shots.

I've been getting random 111 headshots while ADS on TLW. This is a bit broken. Range is a bit much, but dropping the mag by one and a slightly increased reload time might be enough.

I've been using The Messenger on my lighthouse runs, its very rare to see anything other than 1) Thorn 2) TLW and 3) Vex

When the progression system for the House of Wolves was announced, I was pretty ecstatic, along with most of the community. The idea of leveling up my favorite gear and weapons along with the new HoW toys was smart and exactly what Destiny needed to keep the sandbox relevent. Between new HoW gear and the etheric light/ascending system, I thought I'd have several paths forward for my characters.

In reality, for a PvE player such as myself, it's even more limiting than The Dark Below was. There, progression was tied to raid gear (again, just a PvE player), but a few runs on each character is what it took to get the gear. At the least, I felt somewhat in control of my own progression, even if the shard requirements were unreasonable.

Right now my only reliable path forward is to run the level 32 Prison of Elders for the armor cores, and buy what Variks has on rotation each week. Assuming I run it three times a week, I can get everyone to max level in three weeks. I've run it twice and accidentally wasted one of my cores. (Whoops.) This means I'll end up with the one set with the higher light levels, as with TDB, which is what I thought the etheric light system was designed to fix.

(After six Nightfalls, the sixth granted etheric light, which I use to bring Fatebringer up to 365. My Titan was feeling how underleveled it was in the Weekly/Nightfall. It's clear the NF won't be a reliable or predictable way to progress.)

I don't understand why we have to run a level 34 activity to get the upgrade materials needed to get us to level 34. I don't understand why treasure keys are so extraordinarily rare. (Outside of the story progression, I got one and my daughter has received zero after two weeks of bounties.) And I really don't understand why etheric light is just dropped into the Nightfalls as a possible reward, rather than added to the second drop slot so we can progress our own gear at a moderate pace (that would also get 3 characters to level 34 in three weeks, as with Variks...but using the gear of our choice.)

I have no plans to attempt the level 34 PoE again any time soon, unless it's substantially rebalanced. Up to the boss was fine, the boss himself....nope. This is making something hard in the wrong way; it wasn't fun, it wasn't interesting, and it wasn't something I ever want to do again. I don't like the level 32 boss either, but he's a more reasonable proposition. Faced with running level 34 PoE, or slowly leveling through Variks gear, I'll take the latter.

Right now I feel less in control of my progression than I have at any point since Destiny came out. It's a very frustrating development in what is otherwise a superb expansion.

Completely agree. IMO the main problem is that Bungie's player target seems to be someone with a lot of free time, no interest in other games, and very high tolerance for frustation, someone who has the time and patience to just keep banging their head against a wall until they make a hole in it. Sure, they've diminished the grind in gear leveling, but the way PoE is designed takes even more time than a raid with less rewards.

And they've really dropped the ball on 34 and 35 balance. The difficulty spike we get on the bosses is astonishing. Nothing that comes before prepares you for that, even on 35. It's incomprehensible to me how that has happened. It's almost confirmation that either they don't playtest their own game, or they really need to take a look at their playtesting team because they're doing a shit job. And the level disadvantage was a really stupid decision, I also don't understand why they thought it was a good idea to keep it.

In many ways Destiny is still an awesome game, but I'm slowly losing interest again since I spend way too much time playing it with very little to show for it. And that is a serious problem for me since I just don't have that much free time. I have to keep sacrificing other things for this and coming away feeling disappointed and like I wasted my time for nothing since progression has ground to a halt. I have so much legendary gear I want to ascend and only got 2 Etheric Light so far from the first week's PoE 34. I haven't even managed to do PoE 34 this reset because I'm having trouble getting the time to do it and a group when I'm available.

Next reset I'll have the chance to get 4 EL from IB (2 chars) but I don't know if I'll even get 2. Last IB I only managed to get to level 5 sunday evening on my main, not before because of lack of time (and because I suck at PvP, though I came to enjoy my time in IB). Didn't even play with my alt. Now I'll have to play with both to get 4 EL, and I'm almost certain I won't have the time...

Hedera

The fact that Variks has been selling gear with STR only is really slowing my progress in the game. I could have a 2nd character at 34 if I bought the chest and used the one etheric light I currently have, but those stats... I mean I already have gauntlets on all characters with STR only I don't want another piece with it.
Doing the level 34 PoE at 33 (to get EL) can be a pain for you and your teammates so this week I only did it once. Probably just going to wait for the reset to get a 2nd etheric light and use it on that 2nd character and by next week I could have all three at 34 and finally start ascending some weapons.

I pretty much only play PVE , otherwise I would be swimming in etheric light apparently.

Shito

Enemies being one level higher than your max possible level should be banished all together. It was dumb for Crota HM, everyone said so, it is dumb for Skolas. VoG didn't have that on HM and it still was difficult, because it was actually challenging and well-though out gameplay encounters all the way through. No dumb burns either.

HoW actually might turn me away from a PvE player into a PvP player.
It goes to show how they don't play their game and only ever trust metrics. I'm sure a lot of people played through HM CE because the rewards were there, so Bungie must have thought that all the bitching about it being unfair and not fun was not justified, or a small vocal portion of the userbase, because the metrics were still good.
The best example of that is Valus Ta'aurc: if they actually played their game they wouldn't have waited for so long, and the data to show them people were skipping this strike, to nerf its HP.
Metrics are a very good tool to be using, and they should be using it, but sometimes you also have to trust your guts and your players...

I'm sure they will make changes to HoW, and specifically PoE, to adress these flaws, but I'm afraid it'll come months from now.
They are too slow on these things.

ocean

Banned

I was able to run PoE 34 very comfortably last week as a 33. Wave 4 was super hard but it was more the Arc burn than the level disadvantage - even at 34 it was tricky (ran later to help a friend). Lava floor was fun and not too hard. This week's PoE 34 boss is pretty intense and very demanding as a 33.

I would say, don't just cross out an encounter on principle. Try it out or ask around. Last week we all said "34 is totally fine if you're 33!", whereas this week it's like "eh you might have a hard time.

In any case, next week there will be a third PoE armor piece on sale. Coupled with an Exotic, you should reach 34 and then run PoE 34 without a level handicap. Then the Etherics start (slowly) dripping.

I like the leveling system in place. Day 1 I had all three characters at 33 (PoE 32 armor piece + Exotic), and my progression path was flexible and clear. Loot-wise, I feel they dropped the ball with the primaries but that's a different topic.

As it is, reaching 34 is no longer an RNG grind like it was with Raids. If you ran PoE 32 the previous two weeks you should be 34 tomorrow. This opens a path for a guaranteed Etheric Light every week from PoE 34. An additional one if you do Skolas as well. For x3 characters, that's 6 guaranteed Etherics per week without touching PvP. Then there's the ToO and Iron Banner, along with possible Nightfall. They feel scarce now but I think it'll be a month before we've ascended everything we're genuinely gonna use often.

MrS

Banned
Looking forward to finishing work and fucking around in ToO again later. Still tryna get those Titan gauntlets with high an intellect roll. Can't believe I sharded it yesterday without checking the roll :(

Shito

I was able to run PoE 34 very comfortably last week as a 33. Wave 4 was super hard but it was more the Arc burn than the level disadvantage - even at 34 it was tricky (ran later to help a friend). Lava floor was fun and not too hard. This week's PoE 34 boss is pretty intense and very demanding as a 33.

I would say, don't just cross out an encounter on principle. Try it out or ask around. Last week we all said "34 is totally fine if you're 33!", whereas this week it's like "eh you might have a hard time.

In any case, next week there will be a third PoE armor piece on sale. Coupled with an Exotic, you should reach 34 and then run PoE 34 without a level handicap. Then the Etherics start (slowly) dripping.

I like the leveling system in place. Day 1 I had all three characters at 33 (PoE 32 armor piece + Exotic), and my progression path was flexible and clear. Loot-wise, I feel they dropped the ball with the primaries but that's a different topic.

As it is, reaching 34 is no longer an RNG grind like it was with Raids. If you ran PoE 32 the previous two weeks you should be 34 tomorrow. This opens a path for a guaranteed Etheric Light every week from PoE 34. An additional one if you do Skolas as well. For x3 characters, that's 6 guaranteed Etherics per week without touching PvP. Then there's the ToO and Iron Banner, along with possible Nightfall. They feel scarce now but I think it'll be a month before we've ascended everything we're genuinely gonna use often.
I like the mechanics in place as well, I just really don't like the fact that they "force" us to do things under-levelled. If you wish to get some etheric light now you need to run PoE 34 as a 33. And after that, congrats, you can run 35 as a 34.
I don't enjoy this, at all, especially seeing how they love throwing burns and modifiers that only benefit the enemies on top of that.
I'm not too mad at this, because it just means I have to be patient and wait for this week's new gear to finally reach 34 and start collecting etheric lights, but I know I will probably never run PoE 35 because I really don't play this game for the love of frustration and no loot at the end.
Their mechanics are nice, but the implementation is tacky and badly balanced. And the most "infuriating" thing about all this is that it could be all sunshine and rainbows again with just a few tweaks to a few values...

And they've really dropped the ball on 34 and 35 balance. The difficulty spike we get on the bosses is astonishing. Nothing that comes before prepares you for that, even on 35. It's incomprehensible to me how that has happened. It's almost confirmation that either they don't playtest their own game, or they really need to take a look at their playtesting team because they're doing a shit job. And the level disadvantage was a really stupid decision, I also don't understand why they thought it was a good idea to keep it.

I agree with this.

The difficulty for the bosses where you need to kill an enemy unit just to survive and fight against a boss is insane. Not to mention the amount of ADDs they throw at you. Either do the mechanic like Atheon where you need to successfully complete it to damage the boss and have moments of calm where you can prepare for it without adds shooting at you every moment or throw adds at you while you shoot the boss without the mechanics.

Doing both is just overkill and requires more dedication and time than most people have. The only legit strategy so far is to just gjallarhorn the mechanics away is telling of the difficulty of the entire POE 34 and 35 fights.

Shito

Something thats been bothering me about HoW where is the queens brother the one who aims a gun at the player character in storymode .
We haven't seen the queen at all either.
I'm still hoping those guarded doors will open up one day, but I'm really not too confident about this...

amar212

Official page still have old details for Iron Banner.

has it been announced does Iron Banner starts tomorrow at daily reset or again at 10AM PST (as let time)?

noomi

Good morning dgaf!

I started doing something last night I never thought I would.... I started to upgrade the no land beyond.... what am i doing?

Rodiard would be proud.

Should have 2 of my elder ciphers ready to grind in PoE tonight, so as soon as those pop I'm shifting focus to those.

Also... IB tomorrow? Awww yisss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom