• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT22| Game of Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that Variks has been selling gear with STR only is really slowing my progress in the game. I could have a 2nd character at 34 if I bought the chest and used the one etheric light I currently have, but those stats... I mean I already have gauntlets on all characters with STR only I don't want another piece with it.
Doing the level 34 PoE at 33 (to get EL) can be a pain for you and your teammates so this week I only did it once. Probably just going to wait for the reset to get a 2nd etheric light and use it on that 2nd character and by next week I could have all three at 34 and finally start ascending some weapons.

I pretty much only play PVE , otherwise I would be swimming in etheric light apparently.

If you want to we can try a 34 tonight. I haven't done one yet this week and probably won't if you don't want to do it. No pressure, I'm not sure I want to do it either! :p

This week I'll probably spend most time in IB to get EL. You might also want to try it a bit, it's not as unforgiving as Trials.

My first trip to Murcury happend last night, no buffs.

almost made it twice, but lost 2 very tight matches, still fun as I got Gold tier rewards.

Got some nice loot!

noomi

After playing ToO these last few weeks, with a bunch of different players. I am seeing all the different playstyles and how people play with one another.

I am trying to pick up all the new strats, and keep improving. Playing with Rubenov last night definitely thought me some new things, I know when to hang back, when to push, and how to approach different situation and execute new tactics when necessary.

I've also learned if I am not 100% focused I should probably not even go into ToO lol. It requires perfect coordination and undivided attention.

Rubenov, if you see this, we are jumping on the IB train together this week :D I need to further sharpen my skills!

Ken

Good morning dgaf!

I started doing something last night I never thought I would.... I started to upgrade the no land beyond.... what am i doing?

I was doing that and finished earlier today!

10995710_10152721179706841_9177075235369998674_o.jpg

Namikaze1

gonna rewatch last night's Game of Thrones episode (just really want to see the final 20 minutes again) and then it is off to ToO to get the boots on my hunter and be done with it.

Something thats been bothering me about HoW where is the queens brother the one who aims a gun at the player character in storymode .
Right where he belongs: out of this DLC.

I was half-expecting him to be the one to give you the main story missions long before it was revealed Petra would do so. Thank god.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of him. Ignore the avatar.

Zocano

I think a big problem that will affect a range of people (Ghaleon included) is that the Prison of Elders bosses aren't all equally difficult. Valus Trau'ug I can see being a huge clusterfuck of a fight at 34 (it already was at 32). Qodron, as many have said here, is a very difficult fight and a huuuge spike from what we had last week. Personally, I really love the fight, and I think it was a smart implementation of mechanics into a fight that I wish they did more often. Lastly, as previously mentioned, Urrox was pretty damn easy for a first week's taste at 34. I don't think many of us had a problem at all with him, even at 33. On top of all this, we've still got 2 more bosses we haven't seen (datamined-- though I would love to see more). This fluctuation in difficulty is really throwing people for a loop in these initial weeks. Last week it was, with some effort, very doable to finish PoE 34 as a group of 33s. It gave us an expectation that it was going to be like this and this week proves it is very much not the case. People who are still 33s could very well have a very hard time finishing the PoE 34's with reasonable time that several of us have done multiple times last week to get a character to 34. I wouldn't say it's a simple problem, but it is a notable one.

Secondly, I wish the progression was slower. This isn't a common or likable opinion, especially here I think, but they're handing out etheric light in way too many places way too fast. I think it's a byproduct of having multiple characters and just sharing loot between the characters but that really throws progression balancing in a really crazy loop. From what Ghaleon has said, I take it he's not running everything three times a week to get three times the loot so like many of us are to boost a single character ahead. But many of us are doing just that and many of us have accelerated our characters because we could get one to 34 on day one and quickly get groups to do 35 and it snowballed into this week (including Trials that handed them out in spades to many of us). Now some of us, me included, have all 34s with a bucket of Etheric Light with which we have no idea what to do. I really don't like that. We shouldn't be at this point in less than 2 weeks.

This mostly boils down to me expecting Monthly-Sub style MMO content in an MMO-like game that doesn't have a subscription. I want a slow burn progression that makes me work for it. I want a raid that takes (up to) weeks of practice and headbanging to finish completely. I want to spend a month hitting max level with the new expansion. I don't want to exhaust all the content there is in 2 weeks. This is a $15 DLC addon to a $60 game, though, and that's where we're at. The problem is they talk as if it is a slow burn and as if we have a quality-of-life system that they need to balance. There's hardly any quality-of-life to worry about when we will exhaust all there is in 2 weeks and then bail after 3 or 4. This thread will slow down to a crawl again like it did after TDB because of just that, though. Again, it comes back to us approaching the game as if it was a subscription-style MMO when it is just a $15 addon. I would prefer the former in this case, clearly, but it isn't and it bothers me. I want it to be but it isn't and I treat it like it is but it doesn't really play by those rules.

I really do hope they have a plan to trickle in more content until Destiny 2/Comet/The Taken King/whateverthehellitis because they have the systems in place now to do so. Prison of Elders is a great modular way to add in small bits of new content. Make a new boss fight over a few weeks and throw it in the game. Spread out Trials cause holy shit is it overload with the amount of progression/loot you can get from it if you can get 9-0s. Make Etheric Light untradable between characters (this isn't a solution at this point, the damage is done, but I want the equivalent of this in the future).

I agree with this.

The difficulty for the bosses where you need to kill an enemy unit just to survive and fight against a boss is insane. Not to mention the amount of ADDs they throw at you. Either do the mechanic like Atheon where you need to successfully complete it to damage the boss and have moments of calm where you can prepare for it without adds shooting at you every moment or throw adds at you while you shoot the boss without the mechanics.

Doing both is just overkill and requires more dedication and time than most people have. The only legit strategy so far is to just gjallarhorn the mechanics away is telling of the difficulty of the entire POE 34 and 35 fights.

Even what you describe is less insane than Skolas. In the Skolas fight you have 3 people trying to kill SpongeBob 2.0, while having to kill an add just to start damaging it, dozens of adds popping up constantly (and depending on the burn can oneshot you), poison that has to be passed around within a timer or it's instadeath, and mines that you have to dismantle otherwise it's a wipe.

Who in their right mind thinks this is a fair, fun challenge? Atheon and the Templar are fun and challenging.

gonna rewatch last night's Game of Thrones episode (just really want to see the final 20 minutes again) and then it is off to ToO to get the boots on my hunter and be done with it.

Right where he belongs: out of this DLC.

I was half-expecting him to be the one to give you the main story missions long before it was revealed Petra would do so. Thank god.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of him. Ignore the avatar.

xD I thought he was an interesting character seemed like someone who would
betray
the player at some point

Hedera

If you want to we can try a 34 tonight. I haven't done one yet this week and probably won't if you don't want to do it. No pressure, I'm not sure I want to do it either! :p

This week I'll probably spend most time in IB to get EL. You might also want to try it a bit, it's not as unforgiving as Trials.
Yeah we can try it tonight. I could go with my 34 Titan for the first 4 rounds in case we can't find a someone with a Titan and then switch to one of my other characters (at 33 btw) since I already done it with the Titan.

As for IB, I did it once a long time ago to get some boots at rank 3 but it took so many matches and I can't afford to spend an entire afternoon grinding for that right now (have exams in a few weeks).

Radabe

Neo Member
Up until this expansion I've been almost 100% pve (a few iron banners here and there). That's changing. Was a crazy weekend with lots of trials.

Highlight was getting to play with Unstable for a lighthouse run. Unfortunately I didn't play anywhere near my best and didn't make it all the way, but that set of games was a great learning experience. He kindly offered to help me see the awesomeness of Mercury next weekend so looking forward to that.

Just wanted to thank all the ppl here who helped out with the lighthouse trains.

Even what you describe is less insane than Skolas. In the Skolas fight you have 3 people trying to kill SpongeBob 2.0, while having to kill an add just to start damaging it, dozens of adds popping up constantly (and depending on the burn can oneshot you), poison that has to be passed around within a timer or it's instadeath, and mines that you have to dismantle otherwise it's a wipe.

Who in their right mind thinks this is a fair, fun challenge? Atheon and the Templar are fun and challenging.

in the end the only weeks where you can consistently clear Skolas is a solar burn week with everyone with gjallarhorn. I should have farmed Skolas last week.
Also I'd like to say that the cabal boss with the rotating elemental shield is fun and challenging without being entirely unfair as you know what you did wrong if you fail to kill him. POE should have more bosses like him and the Hive boss.

Is there anyone fancying some ToO? Really fancy getting the boots on my titan. Ideally I would like an uber Sherpa to assist in a trip to Venus. But getting the boots would be brilliant

noomi

Don't listen to the heathens! Necrochasm is the best goddamn weapon in the game! Gjallarhorn got shit on it!

Oh you!

Seriously, I fully expect them to do another round of weapon buffs/nerfs and I'm pretty sure the nechro will be on the receiving side... Time will tell.

I'm just waiting for the "TOLD YA SO!" from you now :p

Whoa the chrome extension for Destiny is pretty good you can move stuff over from one character to the other directly no need to send to vault wish I knew about this thing earlier lol

Jabronium

Whoa the chrome extension for Destiny is pretty good you can move stuff over from one character to the other directly no need to send to vault wish I knew about this thing earlier lol

It's been a lifesaver for sure.

Are we expecting Qodron to be the 32 PoE this week?

noomi

I'm planning on grinding level 34 PoE for the elder cipher bounty with Nuszka at some point tonight.

Meaning that we get to the last boss, kill him and quickly wipe. Rinse and Repeat about 8 times (need to do 2 bounties). I think rep is about 250points so it shouldn't take very long.

Will want to recruit a 3rd Guardian for said activity, so if you are interested for tonight let me know :) I'll make another post later in the day, but we are probably shooting for later in the evening... maybe 7PM EST?

Lemme know!

When the progression system for the House of Wolves was announced, I was pretty ecstatic, along with most of the community. The idea of leveling up my favorite gear and weapons along with the new HoW toys was smart and exactly what Destiny needed to keep the sandbox relevent. Between new HoW gear and the etheric light/ascending system, I thought I'd have several paths forward for my characters.

In reality, for a PvE player such as myself, it's even more limiting than The Dark Below was. There, progression was tied to raid gear (again, just a PvE player), but a few runs on each character is what it took to get the gear. At the least, I felt somewhat in control of my own progression, even if the shard requirements were unreasonable.

Right now my only reliable path forward is to run the level 32 Prison of Elders for the armor cores, and buy what Variks has on rotation each week. Assuming I run it three times a week, I can get everyone to max level in three weeks. I've run it twice and accidentally wasted one of my cores. (Whoops.) This means I'll end up with the one set with the higher light levels, as with TDB, which is what I thought the etheric light system was designed to fix.

(After six Nightfalls, the sixth granted etheric light, which I use to bring Fatebringer up to 365. My Titan was feeling how underleveled it was in the Weekly/Nightfall. It's clear the NF won't be a reliable or predictable way to progress.)

I don't understand why we have to run a level 34 activity to get the upgrade materials needed to get us to level 34. I don't understand why treasure keys are so extraordinarily rare. (Outside of the story progression, I got one and my daughter has received zero after two weeks of bounties.) And I really don't understand why etheric light is just dropped into the Nightfalls as a possible reward, rather than added to the second drop slot so we can progress our own gear at a moderate pace (that would also get 3 characters to level 34 in three weeks, as with Variks...but using the gear of our choice.)

I have no plans to attempt the level 34 PoE again any time soon, unless it's substantially rebalanced. Up to the boss was fine, the boss himself....nope. This is making something hard in the wrong way; it wasn't fun, it wasn't interesting, and it wasn't something I ever want to do again. I don't like the level 32 boss either, but he's a more reasonable proposition. Faced with running level 34 PoE, or slowly leveling through Variks gear, I'll take the latter.

Right now I feel less in control of my progression than I have at any point since Destiny came out. It's a very frustrating development in what is otherwise a superb expansion.

Having just tuned my two alts this weekend to the light zone, and in one case going from 17 to 33 in two days, I feel the opposite actually, at leas far as characs go. All I have to do to get to 34 is do 32 POE once a week until I get a whole 42 set. Previously I knew I'd never get to the highest light levels because raids were just not something I did all the time or enough.

I will say this, it's STUPID hard to level legendary weapons to 365. Right now I can level an exotic up every week if I want because I can just buy an exotic shard. But etheric light might as well be grown on Jupiter. My Fatebringer may never get to 365 if I don't get lucky.

One thing that also helps is my firm refusal to even consider playing 34 or 35 POE. Luckily the game has given me a path to get to 34 without it. IIRC, there wasn't that kind of alternative path previously. You had to get through the hardest stuff in the game to get to the highest level. Now I don't think you do.

DAT match point denial, nice! Wearing Celestial Nighthawk too for the ultimate deception lol. I need to gif my GG teamwipe from saturday. Guy radianced on me too, but my 4-shot Symbiote Hunter said: NO. Felt goooood.

I remember this vaguely, you killed the whole team with 3 shots, guy resurrected and then there was this 4th shot + dance party.

Rubenov

After playing ToO these last few weeks, with a bunch of different players. I am seeing all the different playstyles and how people play with one another.

I am trying to pick up all the new strats, and keep improving. Playing with Rubenov last night definitely thought me some new things, I know when to hang back, when to push, and how to approach different situation and execute new tactics when necessary.

I've also learned if I am not 100% focused I should probably not even go into ToO lol. It requires perfect coordination and undivided attention.

Rubenov, if you see this, we are jumping on the IB train together this week :D I need to further sharpen my skills!

noomi, I'm absolutely down for some IB this week

Just throwing this out there, would anyone like to carry me before ToO is over?

I have not gotten beyond 2 wins this weekend, I just want the packages.

Deku Tree

I have three FB and three Fang and Three BH and three IB and three (five) horns and with the latest release of the loadouts app for iOS I feel like I only need one of each.

This app is so good that duos are totally in-necessary.

Hey Drizzay you need to link to the "loadouts for Destiny" app in the OP. By comparison the "tower ghost" app that you currently have linked is totally "the worst".

I have three FB and three Fang and Three BH and three IB and three (five) horns and with the latest release of the loadouts app for iOS I feel like I only need one of each.

This app is so good that duos are totally in-necessary.

Hey Drizzay you need to link to the "loadouts for Destiny" app in the OP. By comparison the "tower ghost" app that you currently have linked is totally "the worst".
Forgot to reply to your last post about Tower Ghost. It stopped working for me last week and I deleted and reinstalled and it has been working fine since. I use it over Loadouts because it's iPad compatible. My only complaint is that sometimes it takes awhile to load.

Waldini

Day 174 ... still no Hunger.

Dear Bungie. Please. Think about all the Crota's I slayed. Think about those poor Gatekeepers that only serve as a way to warm up my Gjallarhorn. Think about poor ol' Ir Yut trying to keep me away from her boss.

Think about it. Please. Just drop my Hunger of Crota (preffer 3 times) and I will leave the Hive alone. Untill then;

f331bae8a8374aba84dc2fd7c931c57bb9f53d880bdb9eda432f0493ddd0977a.jpg

Deku Tree

Day 174 ... still no Hunger.

Dear Bungie. Please. Think about all the Crota's I slayed. Think about those poor Gatekeepers that only serve as a way to warm up my Gjallarhorn. Think about poor ol' Ir Yut trying to keep me away from her boss.

Think about it. Please. Just drop my Hunger of Crota (preffer 3 times) and I will leave the Hive alone. Untill then;

f331bae8a8374aba84dc2fd7c931c57bb9f53d880bdb9eda432f0493ddd0977a.jpg
Hunger is not that exceptional unless you really want the hive perk. Buy a RL in the tower and re-roll for tracking etc.

Doing the Thorn bounty with Atheon's Epilogue as my only void primary is damn near impossible. Maybe I should just ignore it and start running hard crota again until I get word of crota : /

bitsurugi

I see some of you talking about the chrome extension that allows you to move gear around.

Just want to quickly mention one of my favorite iOS apps, that makes transferring gear extremely easy.

It's called "Loadouts for Destiny".

iTunes link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/loadouts-for-destiny/id980586442?mt=8

Reddit link: https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyThe...ssion_loadouts_for_destiny_10_iphone_app_for/

This AP is A-mazing!!! Using it for the last month, it saved me soooo much trouble. Can not it recoomend enough! <3

Deku Tree

I see some of you talking about the chrome extension that allows you to move gear around.

Just want to quickly mention one of my favorite iOS apps, that makes transferring gear extremely easy.

It's called "Loadouts for Destiny".

iTunes link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/loadouts-for-destiny/id980586442?mt=8

Reddit link: https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyThe...ssion_loadouts_for_destiny_10_iphone_app_for/

Oh yeah this app is by far the best way to transfer your fear that I have seen. Love it. Posted about it just above your post too noomi!

Forgot to reply to your last post about Tower Ghost. It stopped working for me last week and I deleted and reinstalled and it has been working fine since. I use it over Loadouts because it's iPad compatible. My only complaint is that sometimes it takes awhile to load.

I deleted it an reinstalled it several times and the tower ghost app still hangs for me when loading my gear...even if I wait for up to 15 minutes!

Yeah I wish loadouts worked on iPad too not sure why they can't make the app universal though... Anyway I just bring my iphone with me.

In any case even when tower ghost worked the interface was much worse than loadouts and now loadouts let's you transfer to the vault too which makes it perfect.

Doing the Thorn bounty with Atheon's Epilogue as my only void primary is damn near impossible. Maybe I should just ignore it and start running hard crota again until I get word of crota : /

Yeah, I did mine with Word. Made it pretty easy. I put off the bounty for months, then got it done in a weekend with Word. It's not a great gun, but good enough to get the bounty done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom