• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT22| Game of Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the progression system for the House of Wolves was announced, I was pretty ecstatic, along with most of the community. The idea of leveling up my favorite gear and weapons along with the new HoW toys was smart and exactly what Destiny needed to keep the sandbox relevent. Between new HoW gear and the etheric light/ascending system, I thought I'd have several paths forward for my characters.

In reality, for a PvE player such as myself, it's even more limiting than The Dark Below was. There, progression was tied to raid gear (again, just a PvE player), but a few runs on each character is what it took to get the gear. At the least, I felt somewhat in control of my own progression, even if the shard requirements were unreasonable.

Right now my only reliable path forward is to run the level 32 Prison of Elders for the armor cores, and buy what Variks has on rotation each week. Assuming I run it three times a week, I can get everyone to max level in three weeks. I've run it twice and accidentally wasted one of my cores. (Whoops.) This means I'll end up with the one set with the higher light levels, as with TDB, which is what I thought the etheric light system was designed to fix.

(After six Nightfalls, the sixth granted etheric light, which I use to bring Fatebringer up to 365. My Titan was feeling how underleveled it was in the Weekly/Nightfall. It's clear the NF won't be a reliable or predictable way to progress.)

I don't understand why we have to run a level 34 activity to get the upgrade materials needed to get us to level 34. I don't understand why treasure keys are so extraordinarily rare. (Outside of the story progression, I got one and my daughter has received zero after two weeks of bounties.) And I really don't understand why etheric light is just dropped into the Nightfalls as a possible reward, rather than added to the second drop slot so we can progress our own gear at a moderate pace (that would also get 3 characters to level 34 in three weeks, as with Variks...but using the gear of our choice.)

I have no plans to attempt the level 34 PoE again any time soon, unless it's substantially rebalanced. Up to the boss was fine, the boss himself....nope. This is making something hard in the wrong way; it wasn't fun, it wasn't interesting, and it wasn't something I ever want to do again. I don't like the level 32 boss either, but he's a more reasonable proposition. Faced with running level 34 PoE, or slowly leveling through Variks gear, I'll take the latter.

Right now I feel less in control of my progression than I have at any point since Destiny came out. It's a very frustrating development in what is otherwise a superb expansion.

I hear you and agree that the progression path is problematic. I was very fortunate to have an oddball weekend last week that gave me the time to do a lot of ToO with somw good pkayers and I got 6 Etheric Light from PvP yet only 1 from PvE.

PoE is fine for what it is, but progression through it is very slow. I don't have the time to run 3x 32, 3x 34 and 3x 35 for the rewards. Maye 3 or 4 runs in a week, tops.

I have 1 Etheric light this week and next week looks no better. Progression will be a slog.

When the progression system for the House of Wolves was announced, I was pretty ecstatic, along with most of the community. The idea of leveling up my favorite gear and weapons along with the new HoW toys was smart and exactly what Destiny needed to keep the sandbox relevent. Between new HoW gear and the etheric light/ascending system, I thought I'd have several paths forward for my characters.

In reality, for a PvE player such as myself, it's even more limiting than The Dark Below was. There, progression was tied to raid gear (again, just a PvE player), but a few runs on each character is what it took to get the gear. At the least, I felt somewhat in control of my own progression, even if the shard requirements were unreasonable.

Right now my only reliable path forward is to run the level 32 Prison of Elders for the armor cores, and buy what Variks has on rotation each week. Assuming I run it three times a week, I can get everyone to max level in three weeks. I've run it twice and accidentally wasted one of my cores. (Whoops.) This means I'll end up with the one set with the higher light levels, as with TDB, which is what I thought the etheric light system was designed to fix.

(After six Nightfalls, the sixth granted etheric light, which I use to bring Fatebringer up to 365. My Titan was feeling how underleveled it was in the Weekly/Nightfall. It's clear the NF won't be a reliable or predictable way to progress.)

I don't understand why we have to run a level 34 activity to get the upgrade materials needed to get us to level 34. I don't understand why treasure keys are so extraordinarily rare. (Outside of the story progression, I got one and my daughter has received zero after two weeks of bounties.) And I really don't understand why etheric light is just dropped into the Nightfalls as a possible reward, rather than added to the second drop slot so we can progress our own gear at a moderate pace (that would also get 3 characters to level 34 in three weeks, as with Variks...but using the gear of our choice.)

I have no plans to attempt the level 34 PoE again any time soon, unless it's substantially rebalanced. Up to the boss was fine, the boss himself....nope. This is making something hard in the wrong way; it wasn't fun, it wasn't interesting, and it wasn't something I ever want to do again. I don't like the level 32 boss either, but he's a more reasonable proposition. Faced with running level 34 PoE, or slowly leveling through Variks gear, I'll take the latter.

Right now I feel less in control of my progression than I have at any point since Destiny came out. It's a very frustrating development in what is otherwise a superb expansion.
Sorry you feel that way. I'd have to disagree though. I'm right on the brink of having all of my characters to 34. I actually could have them all at 34 if I wasn't so stubborn and I actually used my etheric light. I never made it to 32 with anyone during The Dark Below. However, I did stop playing after the hard raid released and didn't really pick the game back up until about 3 weeks ago or so.

Ken

I don't understand why we have to run a level 34 activity to get the upgrade materials needed to get us to level 34.

It's an MMO thing. When the newest endgame content releases, progression players will be the ones tackling content undergeared. With light levels simplifying the concept of item levels, tackling level 34 enemies as a 33 is that undergeared early content progression, albeit compressed much like everything else in the game.

And much like MMOs, non-progression and more casual players still have ways to hit 34 in the form of armor cores.

Kyne

I understand the frustrations. My girlfriend and I are casual players but we try our best.. but I can already see that our best definitely won't be good enough when it comes to PoE 34/35. Just watching GAF meltdown the last couple of weeks has been an experience in itself. Why would I subject what little play time we have to that chaos? We don't have Gjallarhorns.. hell, we don't even have any elemental primaries ( we JUST started raiding even though we've been playing since December).

The only saving grace is Iron Banner. It's casual enough that everyone can participate and it's not as intense as ToO.. I'm sure there will be multiple GAF groups/trains running all week long. I know you in particular Ghaleon don't really PVP, but if you've never done IB I'd suggest you give it a shot. As long as there's a mic and a good sense of humor anyone is welcome in my party chats.. At least in control even if you aren't the best at PVP you can still capture points and help coordinate with the team.

Don't get me started on ToO.. I love PvP but ToO has just makes people anxious. All of the regulars who have their 3-ofs do well, and most of the hardcore players (Zoba/Unstable) have a great thing going with the trains.. but everyone else is just left in the dust. I can smell the helplessness in the posts that I read. It's a little sad.

ToO should have had match making. This would have made it a little more casual and accessible to everyone.

nOoblet16

you're on jumper now. if you're playing a warlock, triple tap the jump while you're running forward. it gives you a boost of forward momentum because you're cancelling the glide right after doing it. the titans are much faster though. in fact, titans are actually the fastest class in the game.

You feel like a truck though...although that shoulder charge is nice to change direction immediately. I just like how Hunter is the snappiest, it works best for PvP. Warlock glide is like the worst thing it's so slow when you actually have to jump an it makes you such an easy target , donno why anyone would put it above Blink or Titan thrust.

Unstable

Queenbreaker's Bow get and fully leveled.

My full PvP review of the weapon is coming later this week.

But, from what I have used of it thus far, I have a very good feeling about.

Queenbreaker's Bow get and fully leveled.

My full PvP review of the weapon is coming later this week.

But, from what I have used of it thus far, I have a very good feeling about.

I. Am. Personally insulted you didn't get the Lord of Wolves.

Having done PoE 32 this week already, can I go back and open the big chest for the queen's cipher (didn't open it the first time)?

Yeah, you can redo 32 to open the chest and get the cipher.

Jinjo

BREEZY'S 'BREEZY' STRATEGIES!

This weeks episode: Episode 06- "Qodrons Quirky Quipu!"

Starring-You!

-snipped for readability-

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Because when you pull of that clutch 1vs3 or come back down 1-4 to get the win 5-4 it is getting sweaty.

urlzpsbs.jpg

Try crawling back from 0-4. Best feeling ever. Had an epic choke by an opposing team two days ago with some GAFfers. I can only imagine the rage when in the final round two people got Fist of Havoc'd to death. Sweet, sweet salty tears.

I plan on doing a series of these strats for uh, the 34 bosses as they come back around. Which I mean, we're on week 2 so I guess that means Urrox 34 will be the lost episode to be aired on another day.

Jinjo

I plan on doing a series of these strats for uh, the 34 bosses as they come back around. Which I mean, we're on week 2 so I guess that means Urrox 34 will be the lost episode to be aired on another day.

Guessing from tomorrow it'll be the shield-changing Cabal, aka Spongebob+. Kind of weird how Urrox doesn't get an extra mechanic on lv34, but Qodron did.

Defyler

This dlc is basically meh. The content is done and isn't worth repeating.
I'm at well over 1k hours. Probably trouncing towards 1.5k.

Ghorn was conquered ages ago. All three (classes) characters are 34 with solid perk rolls.
The dlc story missions were interesting. That was a nice change.

However, the rewards are going to be time based. Etheric light drops from ToO, PoE 34/ 35, and an occasional nightfall. IB of course and that will be it's own event.

Everyone will reach the same spot eventually.

I've already maxed the normal fatebringer, VoC, and black hammer. All that is left is constructing armor pieces that max int and disc. There is literally nothing better in comparison to what I have thus far.

There is no end game content that requires better elemental weapons in comparison to what we have from VoG or Crotes. Raids are the same. With burns it is irrelevant. I don't see much to hunt for or do.

The cipher exotic weapons are also frustrating. None are worthwhile to give up a ghorn, and neither are they they interesting enough to hold one's attention outside of created special situations (whether it be crucible or using it on level 2 dregs on patrol). The three new exotics are there for pure fun.

If I want ToO level of multiplayer sweat I'll go back to halo 2 and 3 ranked. ToO is a joke with supers, double heavy, and radar. The multiplayer literally gives you crutches.

Salt incoming.

Guessing from tomorrow it'll be the shield-changing Cabal, aka Spongebob+. Kind of weird how Urrox doesn't get an extra mechanic on lv34, but Qodron did.

Do they get extra mechanics? First week it was spongebob/Urrox 32/34, this week it's Urrox/Qodron 32/34, which means we haven't seen spongebob twice(And only seen Qodron once). Unless you're confusing the PoE 28 Vex boss fight, which none of those have mechanics.

Jinjo

Do they get extra mechanics? First week it was spongebob/Urrox 32/34, this week it's Urrox/Qodron 32/34, which means we haven't seen spongebob twice(And only seen Qodron once). Unless you're confusing the PoE 28 Vex boss fight, which none of those have mechanics.

Ah, that might be it. Spongebob lv28 doesn't get the changing shields either.

Destiny's meta game is really fucked. I'd love to use my Jewel in PvP but there's no reason to use anything other than a last word. I don't think I'll even be maining the queen breaker's bow because i'll have to use a legendary primary and none of them are good enough to compete with the top 3 hand cannons. nerfing those alone isn't going to fix the game because then supers and shotguns will be more empowering. thorn and the last word keep them at bay; everything else kills too slowly.

Destiny's meta game is really fucked. I'd love to use my Jewel in PvP but there's no reason to use anything other than a last word. I don't think I'll even be maining the queen breaker's bow because i'll have to use a legendary primary and none of them are good enough to compete with the top 3 hand cannons. nerfing those alone isn't going to fix the game because then supers and shotguns will be more empowering. thorn and the last word keep them at bay; everything else kills too slowly.

Honestly, I was scared that a new weapon would come along with HoW to replace the Holy Trinity of Hand Cannons. Please let nothing ever make my Hawkmoon seem less amazing/shiny/perfect than it is.

Honestly, I was scared that a new weapon would come along with HoW to replace the Holy Trinity of Hand Cannons. Please let nothing ever make my Hawkmoon seem less amazing/shiny/perfect than it is.

They need to reduce Hand Cannons range in PvP. Like the shotty changes, basically make Hand Cannons a medium to short range weapon.

hawkmoon is a normal hand cannon with good perks and good range. thorn and the last word are outliers and completely dominate the game.

the last word in particular functions like no other weapon in the game so i don't want to see them nerf it to oblivion. i just wish i could use something else and not feel like i'm being disadvantaged.

They need to reduce Hand Cannons range in PvP. Like the shotty changes, basically make Hand Cannons a medium to short range weapon.

they need to stop nerfing entire weapon classes and start targetting problem weapons. hand cannons aren't the problem - thorn and the last word are. all of the other hand cannons are balanced by their rate of fire.

the jewel is a 3 shot kill but if you miss one shot you're basically fucked. thorn and the last word are tremendously forgiving in that regard - you can miss half of your shots and still kill a player using the jewel.

They need to buff auto rifles again. They shouldn't have nerfed them in the first place. People just confuse popular weapons for overpowered weapons.

I rolled one of the new high-impact ARs with focused fire and glass half full. Would love to try that if they actually make that weapon class viable again.

they need to stop nerfing entire weapon classes and start targetting problem weapons. hand cannons aren't the problem - thorn and the last word are. all of the other hand cannons are balanced by their rate of fire.

True dat.

For PvP-PVP only nerfs, I think they should do this then-
Give Thorn a 5 round magazine. Lower the damage of the dot to do half the damage it does now.

Last Word-Reduce impact further, make it take one extra bullet to kill someone(Without crits(.

...maybe.

They need to buff auto rifles again. They shouldn't have nerfed them in the first place. People just confuse popular weapons for overpowered weapons.

I rolled one of the new high-impact ARs with focused fire and glass half full. Would love to try that if they actually make that weapon class viable again.

i honestly want the age of Suros to return, if only for the fact that my teamates who aren't that skilled with precision weapons will be able to get more kills. they're either still using the crappy autos right now or missing all of their shots with the precision weapons. it's probably why everyone has chosen to run around with a shotgun and fusion rifle instead. that shit didn't happen in the beta because you'd get ARed to death.

Suros is actually still pretty good, you just have to rattle off 10-15 quick rounds every time you reload so you're always getting the extra damage.

Ken

Leveled up Nothing Manacles. They're kind of awful though that has more to do with scatter grenades being awful. Bad exotic IMO.

Or maybe I was lagging too hard in those matches. Will try some more.

Future

I had similar thoughts. I was previously excited about etheric light. I thought it would be a method to upgrade old goodies I had, get some variety in my builds, etc.

Reality is Ive played two weeks and have no etheric light. PoE lvl 34 seems like shitty design and I don't have a ballerhorn to help me (with no route to get one). Now its looking like getting just 1 Etheric light might take forever, let alone the many I would need to upgrade a decent suite of armor and weapons.

Ive been upgrading exotics happily due to the easy path to getting shards....but that damn etheric light is too rare considering I need it for many legendaries across three characters. If I wasn't a day 1 player maybe I wouldn't want it as much, but I still feel like I am being punched in the face a bit for collecting all those legendaries awhile ago. Still gonna remain underpowered as I first use the light to upgrade armor to get higher levels

TP-DK

Does The Last Word jam for anyone else?
I love the weapon, but with the full auto being broken on it, I cant get myself to use it.

TacticalFailure

Neo Member
I had similar thoughts. I was previously excited about etheric light. I thought it would be a method to upgrade old goodies I had, get some variety in my builds, etc.

Reality is Ive played two weeks and have no etheric light. PoE lvl 34 seems like shitty design and I don't have a ballerhorn to help me (with no route to get one). Now its looking like getting just 1 Etheric light might take forever, let alone the many I would need to upgrade a decent suite of armor and weapons.

Ive been upgrading exotics happily due to the easy path to getting shards....but that damn etheric light is too rare considering I need it for many legendaries across three characters. If I wasn't a day 1 player maybe I wouldn't want it as much, but I still feel like I am being punched in the face a bit for collecting all those legendaries awhile ago. Still gonna remain underpowered as I first use the light to upgrade armor to get higher levels

I like the progression system, but I don't agree with how the end game content is being addressed. VoG was unique, interesting and difficult, but it never felt cheap. Crotas end introduced artificial difficulty and level disadvantage in HM, and that trend has continued with PoE. I find that bungie is moving in the right direction for pvp, but moving backwards in how the pve content is being developed ( aside from the story in HoW, which I think is their best work in destiny so far).

Waldini

Man ... Bungie REALLY needs to up the rewards for Prison of Elders...

How about reforgeable PoE weapons when you finish 35? Trials of Osiris gives you much better loot. PoE (loot wise) is an utter joke.

Finished 35. What do I get? A shader, a ship and nothing else. Not even a weapon. Lets open the chest! O! Great, another worhtless Queen's weapon >_>

Does The Last Word jam for anyone else?
I love the weapon, but with the full auto being broken on it, I cant get myself to use it.
Nope. Never had that happen. The only weapon that is occasionally funky is Pocket Infinity, though I think they fixed that a long time ago. Haven't used it on ages.

Ramirez

I like the progression system, but I don't agree with how the end game content is being addressed. VoG was unique, interesting and difficult, but it never felt cheap. Crotas end introduced artificial difficulty and level disadvantage in HM, and that trend has continued with PoE. I find that bungie is moving in the right direction for pvp, but moving backwards in how the pve content is being developed ( aside from the story in HoW, which I think is their best work in destiny so far).

I think moving forward, the hardest difficulty will always be one above the level cap. The trick to that is reducing the amount of yellow bar mobs. It's fine as long as they don't flood the screen with them like Deathsinger.

Nuszka

Morning gaf (cough) so sick right now, should stay in bed (cough) and play (cough) destiny. But unfortunately (sneeze) wife has different plans (tear drops) with a shopping spree , I'm the driver and need to man up (puffs chest).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom