• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Different time, different place, different numbers.

I'm just not comfortable with a community that calls out individuals at Bungie to be "fired," that they are incompetent, etc. when we don't really know what goes on there. It's just counter-productive and juvenile.

At the same time, many of us wish they would engage us here directly. Why would they when there is such a toxic personal tone? I know I wouldn't.

Who's doing that? We're allowed to criticize what the guy says though and how he goes about saying it, as well as the message that Bungie and Activision give him. Some times what he says is really, really stupid.

I like DeeJ. But condescending comments like "You actually get more choice because of limited vault space", and "The cycle starts all over again", and "Then why are you asking me", is absolutely mind-boggingly horse shit. He knows it. Bungie knows it. We all know it.

X-Frame

Gameplay of all three classes plus their full skill tree

Destiny New Hunter Subclass "Nightstalker":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k9RR3Timho

Destiny New Warlock Subclass "Stormcaller":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz7f-zQ3M8s

Destiny New Titan Subclass "Sunbreaker":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5F3nsq6SPI

Some of the new weapons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gle8hfq1QQM

In the Titan video you see a Hammer of Sol wielding Titan go up against a Stormtrance Warlock and the Titan has enough damage resistance to withstand the Warlock's super and smack him with the hammer 2x for the kill. Interesting. I need to watch it again to see if I got that incorrectly.

ich00

I do get a little annoyed at the "Deejspeak" and very much appreciate when someone is able to give us direct answers. Even if sometimes they're not the answers we wanna here. However, I don't like reading comments where ppl are calling for his job. IMHO that's just not cool.

I agree with this completely. Deej only says what he's told too. It's in the phrasing (deejspeak) that can grate on the nerves. At the same time I'm sure that he gets a lot of the same questions and there's only so many ways to so I can't say, so he's trying to be creative with it.

On the flipside listening to the interviews with Luke Smith, he presents his non-answers much better. Who knows tho, if he was the voice we kept hearing, we'd probably get sick of hearing him too.

It probably doesn't help that Deej doesn't come off as a competent Destiny Player, while Luke, at least seems he is.

I think you meant hard to hold down, dat fire rate :p

The gun definitely isn't perfect. It's burns through ammo like a champ, the exotic perk doesn't proc as often as it should, and if you don't land your shots, it can leave you really open.

Found Verdict is probably a safer choice, but there's nothing like getting rushed by a melee captain when it's Lightswitch and unloading that full clip into his head before he takes out your whole team.

The gun definitely isn't perfect. It's burns through ammo like a champ, the exotic perk doesn't proc as often as it should, and if you don't land your shots, it can leave you really open.

Found Verdict is probably a safer choice, but there's nothing like getting rushed by a melee captain when it's Lightswitch and unloading that full clip into his head before he takes out your whole team.

Yeah it's fun to use on some occasions, like burning down Urzok in a couple of seconds. But in 99% of the cases, I have a certain exotic RL equipped.
Just happy for Grim he finally got it (immediately in our first run), now Tears has to get his.

I agree with this completely. Deej only says what he's told too. It's in the phrasing (deejspeak) that can grate on the nerves. At the same time I'm sure that he gets a lot of the same questions and there's only so many ways to so I can't say, so he's trying to be creative with it.

On the flipside listening to the interviews with Luke Smith, he presents his non-answers much better. Who knows tho, if he was the voice we kept hearing, we'd probably get sick of hearing him too.

It probably doesn't help that Deej doesn't come off as a competent Destiny Player, while Luke, at least seems he is.

Luke wrote the weekly updates for Halo 3 and Reach if memory serves, and you bet people got sick of hearing from him too. It's just the nature of the job.

They're people, doing their best to satisfy very diverse needs. E3 really strains that because they're not just talking to the rabid Destiny community, but to the wider gamer community.

ethomaz

Banned
18929084535_8204021ea2_o.jpg
Wait... where is that option?

M3Rocket

Who's doing that? We're allowed to criticize what the guy says though and how he goes about saying it, as well as the message that Bungie and Activision give him. Some times what he says is really, really stupid.

I like DeeJ. But condescending comments like "You actually get more choice because of limited vault space", and "The cycle starts all over again", and "Then why are you asking me", is absolutely mind-boggingly horse shit. He knows it. Bungie knows it. We all know it.

Really? You want me to go back and point out all the places where people were posting here on the OT that DeeJ should be fired or replaced? Or the multitude of personal attacks leveled against him here?

I have no problems with criticism of what he says. It's easy to pull-quote some of the DeeJ-speak and call it condescending. But I've seen the entirety of those interviews, in some cases and in context, those things are just marketing speak. And really answers to really inane and tiresome questions.

Example, "Then why are you asking me?" was appropriate. The so-called "journalist" heard this directly from a Bungie source that is a game designer and he said cut-scenes will be bypassable in TTK. Then he asks the same question to DeeJ. Only to point out that he already knew and that essentially was a trap question for DeeJ to see whether he knew anything about it.

Now how do we know whether DeeJ was told or not told about this? There are a million issues that he may be tracking, but he lacks any decision making powers to those features. And he has to keep in mind what his employers will let him say.

Besides, DeeJ followed that up with something like "If so-and-so told you that, then it must be true. He knows more about it since he's the designer."

So no--I don't think that was horse-pucky. The line of questioning maybe, but the answer was appropriately "playful" and coy.

Couldn't even finish watching this, so ridiculous.
Blaming his teammates, the walls and even kicking one of them mid-game...that doesn't even deserve a #1.

I know it's only one match, but is that guy really #1 overall? In all of crucible or what? Anyone wanting to watch some top tier ToO players should check out Nghtly on twitch this weekend. His clan is full of insanely good players.

hydruxo

lmao

Some people just can't stand losing. I don't consider players like this to be "top" players anyways. He's just a streamer that takes this way too seriously.

If you're losing 3v3 what makes you think you can win it 2v3?

His ego told him he could win 2v3, then he got promptly smacked haha.

PuMa

Really? You want me to go back and point out all the places where people were posting here on the OT that DeeJ should be fired or replaced? Or the multitude of personal attacks leveled against him here?

I have no problems with criticism of what he says. It's easy to pull-quote some of the DeeJ-speak and call it condescending. But I've seen the entirety of those interviews, in some cases and in context, those things are just marketing speak. And really answers to really inane and tiresome questions.

Example, "Then why are you asking me?" was appropriate. The so-called "journalist" heard this directly from a Bungie source that is a game designer and he said cut-scenes will be bypassable in TTK. Then he asks the same question to DeeJ. Only to point out that he already knew and that essentially was a trap question for DeeJ to see whether he knew anything about it.

Now how do we know whether DeeJ was told or not told about this? There are a million issues that he may be tracking, but he lacks any decision making powers to those features. And he has to keep in mind what his employers will let him say.

Besides, DeeJ followed that up with something like "If so-and-so told you that, then it must be true. He knows more about it since he's the designer."

So no--I don't think that was horse-pucky. The line of questioning maybe, but the answer was appropriately "playful" and coy.

I wouldn't call most of the criticisms in here "toxic" towards Deej. Sure, many of us think he could do a better job. But I don't think he should outright be fired. If you want a toxic environment as an example, I'd point to Reddit.

Owensboro

Owensboro's "OHGODWHATAMIDOING" Vault of Glass (PS4) 1st Time Run. Thursday, June 18th @~5pm ET. NORMAL MODE RUN <--You can still back out if you want to since this wasn't mentioned earlier.
1. Owensboro (PSN: OwensboroEsq) [Level 33 Titan]
2. Jignx
3. Ocean (PSN:a_javierp)
4. biggy70686
5. JayP PSN: RAIDERSfan_808
6. milkham

X. Datdudeiceman191
X. BurningNad (1st sub if back in time)
X. reneruiz
X. rc213 (Prefers Hard Mode) (I'll try and find someone who needs normal before I bug you :))
X. iRAWRasaurus (Will Help If Online)

I missed JaY P. earlier, so he grabbed a spot. I'm going to start sending out Friend Requests and invites. If someone doesn't show up by 5:15 I'll start checking with subs!

(PS. Sending Friend Requests is the only way I know to invite people. Is there a better way?)

(PSS. How do you set up to invite 6 people to a team? Can you just do that standard, or do you have to toggle something specific?)

rNilla

Owensboro's "OHGODWHATAMIDOING" Vault of Glass (PS4) 1st Time Run. Thursday, June 18th @~5pm ET. NORMAL MODE RUN <--You can still back out if you want to since this wasn't mentioned earlier.
2. Jignx
4. biggy70686
6. milkham

X. Datdudeiceman191
X. reneruiz
X. rc213 (Prefers Hard Mode) (I'll try and find someone who needs normal before I bug you :))

I missed JaY P. earlier, so he grabbed a spot. I'm going to start sending out Friend Requests and invites. If someone doesn't show up by 5:15 I'll start checking with subs!

(PS. Sending Friend Requests is the only way I know to invite people. Is there a better way?)

(PSS. How do you set up to invite 6 people to a team? Can you just do that standard, or do you have to toggle something specific?)

Enjoy! Your first Vault run is something special.

I know it's only one match, but is that guy really #1 overall? In all of crucible or what? Anyone wanting to watch some top tier ToO players should check out Nghtly on twitch this weekend. His clan is full of insanely good players.

He's number one when it comes to score, kills, games, and deaths. He just plays a lot, he has almost 300k kills in crucible.

LTWood12

I wouldn't call most of the criticisms in here "toxic" towards Deej. Sure, many of us think he could do a better job. But I don't think he should outright be fired. If you want a toxic environment as an example, I'd point to Reddit.

I agree w/ Puma.

Based on the revive controls, he's on XB1 so he might be #1 there. But I think I read somewhere that it is based on medal score. Maybe if you and me grind out crucible 24/7 and act like a dick, we can be #1 too!

What is wrong with that guy? And he had a lower K/D than the guy he kicked. Kind of made me nauseous to watch that.

Best part is where he says I'm better than anyone else with a 0.33 K/D...I mean ofcourse this is one game and we all had these kind of games where we couldn't even hit a truck standing still, but I would never go as far as blaming my team, let alone kick someone mid-game. Maybe that's why I'm at #2000000 XD

Actually, the Destiny subreddit is really great. Lots of very imformative and cool posts. The weekly update thread is invaluable as is the Xur thread where commenters do a detailed analysis of the stats on gear. The Crucible subreddit has fantastic re-roll guides. DeeJ and other Bungie employees (like BungieUserResearch) actually post there way more than here.

That's not say there's not salt there, but usually only intelligent criticism makes it to the top. But yes, reddit does have extremely unpleasant sections. Thankfully, it's not related to Destiny.

LTWood12

Actually, the Destiny subreddit is really great. Lots of very imformative and cool posts. The weekly update thread is invaluable as is the Xur thread where commenters do a detailed analysis of the stats on gear. The Crucible subreddit has fantastic re-roll guides. DeeJ and other Bungie employees (like BungieUserResearch) actually post there way more than here.

That's not say there's not salt there, but usually only intelligent criticism makes it to the top. But yes, reddit does have extremely unpleasant sections. Thankfully, it's not related to Destiny.

Puma wasn't pointing to Reddit as a whole. He was pointing out that there is alot more overly harsh criticism of Deej over there.

nOoblet16

Any Crucibros around?
I feel like I am regressing to my pre Destiny days of gaming where I find my console turned on for most of the day and I don't play anything.

I want to play something as I am feeling so paranoid but not really alone, 6 player crucible would be nice.

macewank

I wouldn't even necessarily say Reddit is toxic towards Deej. There are those who will give him the what for, but generally speaking folks aren't too abrasive.

Community management is an impossible job. They only know what the developers want them to know, and they can only talk about half of it because PR/Marketing doesn't want the rest of it made public yet. It seems to me that they're stuck between actually engaging with the community in a meaningful way and playing politics with the studio so as to not step on toes. That has to suck, so I give them a bit of a break.

JaY P.

2. Jignx
4. biggy70686
6. milkham

X. Datdudeiceman191
X. reneruiz

I'll be on soon. Thanks for waiting.

Stumbled upon this:

https://youtu.be/7dLylr284qc

Its cringe worthy. Not only is he insulting his opponents, but also his own guys. Calling down syndrome, retards et al.

Really puts into perspective the kind of awesome players we have here. Even when they are at their worst and losing their patience, they are 10x more understanding and patient than this guy. Plus they would have made those shots half asleep.

I wouldn't play with this guy if he could carry me to the lighthouse three times a week.

LordofPwn

That guy is trash. theres no way hes #1, he probably just plays a lot. I faced Leopardstealth this past weekend in trials and my clan nearly won (4-5). It feels great defeating good players in destiny. But no way he's number 1.

Langy

So, does anyone have the patience and/or time to help my young titan and hunter thorough the nightfall? They only babies at lvl 30/31 each but feel like giving them a try at it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom