• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

TP-DK

Im halfway through the nightfall if anyone wants to join, psn is redman_dk

Edit: And my ps4 froze. The fun never stops..

flkraven

That perspective just skirts the issue. I could use the same argument and say that we don't need Vault space because the new stuff isn't worth owning. I think we all say this very often because of a few outliers, but in general, there are extremely few cases where your best bet is a Vanilla legendary right now.

For all the love we heap at The Devil You Know, the only reason for keeping one is sentimentality. You can roll a Red Hand IX with better perks all over. Except for a Firefly+Outlaw Ghaleon's Demise or random roll in the past (that's the best possible combo and is no longer available), the new Scout Rifles can be re rolled into being far superior to your old stuff, including formerly Raid-specific perks like Automatic Fire.

High impact Shotguns? The best around for PvP is the Matador 64. Low impact snipers? LGH and the ToO snipers are far and above the nicest in terms of RoF/Aim Assist in the 2bodyshot kill tier. For high impact Snipers, Her Benevolence is re rollable and at the very top of the pile for PvP. Rocket Launchers? Ash Factory with the right rolls (which you can now seek out) beats any old legendary RL except for perhaps the Iron Banner one.

Corrective Measure is cool but stats wise it's literally a carbon copy of the M18 Harm's Way. The Swarm < a well rolled PvP dropped machine gun. That Hopscotch pulse rifle is wrecking stuff out there. The Jewel is a perfect PvP Legendary Hand Cannon.

It goes on. The new stuff is, in general, the best available. We get the feeling that that's not the case because of how few new exotics we have. Out of the 27 we have in total, 20 are from Vanilla. So of course a large part of the coveted exotics are old - a large part of all of the exotics are old. But to be honest only a very few old legendaries come to mind that really beat the currently available re rollable stuff (Fatebringer, Black Hammer and The Supremacy; debatable but let's at a stretch include Vision of Confluence and barely maybe Found Verdict).

I still love my Shadow Price!

rNilla

That perspective just skirts the issue. I could use the same argument and say that we don't need Vault space because the new stuff isn't worth owning. I think we all say this very often because of a few outliers, but in general, there are extremely few cases where your best bet is a Vanilla legendary right now.

For all the love we heap at The Devil You Know, the only reason for keeping one is sentimentality. You can roll a Red Hand IX with better perks all over. Except for a Firefly+Outlaw Ghaleon's Demise or random roll in the past (that's the best possible combo and is no longer available), the new Scout Rifles can be re rolled into being far superior to your old stuff, including formerly Raid-specific perks like Automatic Fire.

High impact Shotguns? The best around for PvP is the Matador 64. Low impact snipers? LGH and the ToO snipers are far and above the nicest in terms of RoF/Aim Assist in the 2bodyshot kill tier. For high impact Snipers, Her Benevolence is re rollable and at the very top of the pile for PvP. Rocket Launchers? Ash Factory with the right rolls (which you can now seek out) beats any old legendary RL except for perhaps the Iron Banner one.

Corrective Measure is cool but stats wise it's literally a carbon copy of the M18 Harm's Way. The Swarm < a well rolled PvP dropped machine gun. That Hopscotch pulse rifle is wrecking stuff out there. The Jewel is a perfect PvP Legendary Hand Cannon.

It goes on. The new stuff is, in general, the best available. We get the feeling that that's not the case because of how few new exotics we have. Out of the 27 we have in total, 20 are from Vanilla. So of course a large part of the coveted exotics are old - a large part of all of the exotics are old. But to be honest only a very few old legendaries come to mind that really beat the currently available re rollable stuff (Fatebringer, Black Hammer and The Supremacy; debatable but let's at a stretch include Vision of Confluence and barely maybe Found Verdict).

Of course we will eventually need more Vault space plain and simple but for the time being giving me weapons that blow away the ones I have makes it easier to part with them. I'm mostly referring to vendor weapons. I have a hard time getting rid of vendor legendaries because I don't know if they're going to be more viable than whatever comes next or suddenly coveted because of old perks or rolls that are no longer attainable. Being able to reforge makes it even more overwhelming. If I took the time to go through everything and determine what's trash and what isn't or what is essentially a dupe I could probably delete half my Vault.

But yes, I'm not keeping Khvostov and the Stranger's Rifle around for their viability.

Shito

Another thing to take into account about the vault thing is that storing more gear for us means bigger saves for them on their servers, which means the "cost" of each player will increase.
The problem is not only technical, but also a monetary one.

Laughed so hard when me and Ruthless pulled out the Messenger during the weekly and your son said "that's the only gun my dad really wants".
I could've sworn I heard a muffled "oh god" in the background XD

ahaha i knew colonel has been wanting that gun for a while now, it was intentional :p

His kid was spot on.

I'll be looking to play Trials in an hour when it goes live. Who needs 1?

Shores of time should be pretty crazy if teh rumors are true.

Lee

Re: Vault Space / Weapons

A big part of the issue is that Bungie hasn't been able to make up their minds regarding weapon balancing. Too many times the gun we thought was terrible ended up being amazing after a patch. Red death, Thorn, every shotgun... people are afraid to give things up only to regret it when the next update comes around.

phen0m24

ahaha i knew colonel has been wanting that gun for a while now, it was intentional :p

His kid was spot on.

And you guys probably have the ones with elements, don't you?

I uttered some sort of dismay, I'm sure. I have the same reaction to PWHudson, who always shows me his. "Hey I had to go all the way to Mercury to get this!"

(sobs quietly in the corner :p )

A big part of the issue is that Bungie hasn't been able to make up their minds regarding weapon balancing. Too many times the gun we thought was terrible ended up being amazing after a patch. Red death, Thorn, every shotgun... people are afraid to give things up only to regret it when the next update comes around.

it should be a non issue, there needs to be a way for me to keep everything. its ridiculous that I have to shard shaders and emblems.

rNilla

Yeah this is what I was trying to get at. There aren't that many weapons I want to keep around out of nostalgia and raid weapons are not unattainable like old vendor weapons (though I am still keeping them all).

I guess my preference would be to give me a reason to let go of a lot of this stuff rather than continue to cater to and enable my pack rat tendencies.

Oh and things like shaders simply shouldn't take up space or be easy to rebuy once obtained.

Another thing to take into account about the vault thing is that storing more gear for us means bigger saves for them on their servers, which means the "cost" of each player will increase.
The problem is not only technical, but also a monetary one.

I don't think they care much about the amount of save states. They have every game you've ever played recorded down to the emblem you were wearing at the time:

b1vh4ZX.png

Could go back further on my Hunter.

And you guys probably have the ones with elements, don't you?

I uttered some sort of dismay, I'm sure. I have the same reaction to PWHudson, who always shows me his. "Hey I had to go all the way to Mercury to get this!"

(sobs quietly in the corner :p )

Yup I have an arc and a solar version. Would love a void Messenger or Scholar, hopefully this weekend.

Shito

I don't think they care much about the amount of save states. They have every game you've ever played recorded down to the emblem you were wearing at the time:

Could go back further on my Hunter.
Those kind of "static" datas are not stored on the same servers, and can be erased at any time if they start getting too big / costly. :)
Not saying money IS the reason why they are slow on giving us more vault space, just that it could be a part of the problem.

My vault:

just sayin

Those kind of "static" datas are not stored on the same servers, and can be erased at any time if they start getting too big / costly. :)
Not saying money IS the reason why they are slow on giving us more vault space, just that it could be a part of the problem.

I'd be okay if it was semi static. Only fully upgraded weapons could be transferred and only on Mondays. Just don't force me to shard weapons that may get buffed one day.

GhaleonEB

Nope, this is the absolute best Exotic for a stealth build. Using it on a Gunslinger is nice. Using it on a Bladedancer while freeing up the Stalker perk is nice. But the real utility comes when using this Exotic + Stalker perk. You can remain invisible forever! You just have to equip Khepri while under the Stalker invisibility so that the subclass Stalker and the Khepri Stalker are on different cooldowns. This separation of the cooldowns means that whenever your invisibility runs out, you can crouch and go invisible again because the "other" one will be ready. More detail:

It's pretty great that the cooldowns are not tethered, but I'll still use it on my Gunslinger more often than not. When I'm soloing or running lower level activities, my Bladedancer uses her super to take down packs of enemies with regularity. But when doing higher level stuff - Nightfalls and weekly heroics - I play more of a support role and use stealth to close ranks and shotgun larger targets or (mostly) to res fireteam members. I don't use my super, especially when Lightswitch is active.

Now, I can perform the same function, but have a powerful super in the mix as well with a Gunslinger. What you've described is the ultimate stealth build and that will get some use - soloing the Abyss will be a cakewalk now - but I see that as a special purpose build. A Gunslinger / stealth hybrid will be more useful to me during a larger set of activities - Nightfalls, weeklies and high end PoE activities. The power/stealth combo is going to be awesome.

So I pre-ordered the Destiny TTK legendary edition which ships September 15th. I would've bought Destiny last year with Xbox one, but I was foolish enough to think MCC would be the game that would take my time. And then I just put off buying Destiny because people hated the story, and didn't really play PvP, said no point getting into it now as expansions meant people moving on etc. Said to myself I'd pick it up when the GoTY version came. Well the legendary edition is basically the GoTY so what can I expect. My beta stuff is still saved to my account. But should I run through all the original content, or jump right into TTK stuff right away so that I don't miss out on the new raids etc. What class would you recommend? Sorry if it's asking a lot. Plan to play the hell out of this nonstop to catch up.

Awesome! Xbox One DestinyGAF needs more members :p

So, I would think that you can't really jump into the TTK stuff right away as the game is designed for you to progress through "vanilla" content until you hit level 20, but it remains to be seen how they will be rebalancing everything. It looks like the base exp-bar-based levelling will bring you up to level 30 now, with the "Light" levels overlelling you beyond that. From level 20 though the game mostly opens up and you can do everything bar end-game activities.

Again, it's hard to say how they'll be approaching levels and the new content, or how they are rebalancing the end-game. Currently, Vault of Glass is level 26, Crota's End is level 30, and much of the rest of the "end-game" stuff can be tackled around levels 30-34 as well, no problem. Crucible can be played at any level - except Iron Banner and Trials of Osiris which will take into account your stats and what not so you'll get stomped if you aren't near level cap.

Story mode is mainly how you'll reach level 20 if you want, but you get EXP for everything you do, so there's no wrong way to approach it. There are a lot of guides in the OP for tips on how to get started as well.

No class is the best, they're all equally good, so pick whichever you feel like playing. Many of us run all three classes so that we can get all the things and play the weekly reset content multiple times for rewards.
but Warlock is clearly better than the other 2 ;)

TTK is a great time to jump in - it's shaping up to be more in line with what people have wanted since the beginning. I think you're in for a treat.

PuMa

The problem with Shores of Time is the unfair advantage it gives to whoever team spawns next to where the "C" flag is.

I would normally agree, but I think in this case, it depends on where the end-match control point is going to spawn.

Madness

First response best response.

TITAN MASTER RACE

:)

Haha, I think I was a Titan in the beta. Good to know still a solid class.

Awesome! Xbox One DestinyGAF needs more members :p

So, I would think that you can't really jump into the TTK stuff right away as the game is designed for you to progress through "vanilla" content until you hit level 20, but it remains to be seen how they will be rebalancing everything. It looks like the base exp-bar-based levelling will bring you up to level 30 now, with the "Light" levels overlelling you beyond that. From level 20 though the game mostly opens up and you can do everything bar end-game activities.

Again, it's hard to say how they'll be approaching levels and the new content, or how they are rebalancing the end-game. Currently, Vault of Glass is level 26, Crota's End is level 30, and much of the rest of the "end-game" stuff can be tackled around levels 30-34 as well, no problem. Crucible can be played at any level - except Iron Banner and Trials of Osiris which will take into account your stats and what not so you'll get stomped if you aren't near level cap.

Story mode is mainly how you'll reach level 20 if you want, but you get EXP for everything you do, so there's no wrong way to approach it. There are a lot of guides in the OP for tips on how to get started as well.

No class is the best, they're all equally good, so pick whichever you feel like playing. Many of us run all three classes so that we can get all the things and play the weekly reset content multiple times for rewards.
but Warlock is clearly better than the other 2 ;)

TTK is a great time to jump in - it's shaping up to be more in line with what people have wanted since the beginning. I think you're in for a treat.

Thanks for this Greencastle. I'm saving it so when I get the game I'll probably do exactly this. I just think the price value is solid too. Base game, all the released expansions and then this major TTK expansion for basically new game price.

Rubenov

I would normally agree, but I think in this case, it depends on where the end-match control point is going to spawn.

The "A" team will get slaughtered each time they try to push on C against a decent team. This would lead to both teams camping, running down the clock, only to fight it out over where this cap point is. I would've preferred almost any other map except Twilight Gap.

Daemul

My vault:

just sayin

My vault is nearly at this state, I'm still working on getting rid of a few things like useless shaders and weapon telemetries, but I've gotten rid of useless armour, weapon dupes and I've settled on a set of 19 weapons which I actually use on a regular basis for both PvE and PvP,, weapons which I share between all 3 of my Titans since it's easy to move stuff around with the app now, but I mainly just play on my main Titan these days so I rarely move shit around anyway.

I'll begin the process of deleting all the exotic and raid weapons I don't use once the next weapons patch comes out, I want to see what happens to auto rifles before getting rid of stuff like Abyss Defiant, since I would prefer to use it over VoC in Solar Burns tbh, I really don't like Scout Rifles.

phen0m24

The "A" team will get slaughtered each time they try to push on C against a decent team. This would lead to both teams camping, running down the clock, only to fight it out over where this cap point is. I would've preferred almost any other map except Twilight Gap.

Snipe

Revive

Snipe

Revive

Lots of long sight lines

PuMa

I definitely agree. A is a terrible spawn on that map.

B, where else?

Elimination cap point is not put right on the B point for many maps. Burning Shrine was on the opposite side of the pillar, Pantheon was B, Widow's Court was very different (I think, haven't played Control there), and Cauldron was either B or right near it.

Firebase cap point is actually on the floating platform in the middle section, not inside by the hologram globe thing. Rusted Lands is in the little nook towards the middle section (if you run from B through the little underneath tunnel towards C heavy, it's immediately on your right when you exit the tunnel).

I don't think I played Shores in Elimination, but I've heard the cap point is in the little water/creek outside the A heavy, between there and the tunnel towards B/C. That would favor the A spawn if it's actually the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom