• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocean

Banned
Because I have the Symbiote exotic and Ice Breaker, I'm just not buying any other exotics now. Are there any essentials that I need to keep an eye out for beyond these? I'm always playing Gunslinger.

The Hunter exotic on sale this weekend is worth picking up. There are many situations where going invisible can be far more useful than a 4th GG shot - getting a tricky revive, hiding from enemies to recover health, picking up some faraway ammo during an elemental burn activity, capping a mine in Prison of Elders... don't pass it up.

As for weapons, Ice Breaker is a classic. Before Gjallarhorn's DPS potential was figured out, Ice Breaker was the poster boy everyone deemed the most important element in a PvE arsenal.

Prison of Elders has a lot of activities with Juggled and Majors in your face. Invective is a great asset - a shotgun with regenerating ammo works wonders in PoE. In PvE, my exotic slot belongs to Gjallarhorn, Ice Breaker or Invective most of the time unless I'm just messing around and want to play with silly builds.

If you play PvP, that's a whole other world though. Stuff you'd never look twice at in PvE become your most powerful tools in the Crucible. Knucklehead Radar for radar while aiming your primary is a favorite of mine for PvP.

ethomaz

Banned
The Hunter exotic on sale this weekend is worth picking up. There are many situations where going invisible can be far more useful than a 4th GG shot - getting a tricky revive, hiding from enemies to recover health, picking up some faraway ammo during an elemental burn activity, capping a mine in Prison of Elders... don't pass it up.
What is the difference between the new gear and the bladedancer perk?

Or it is just you can use the invis with Gunslinger?

For the the Don't Touch Me looks like a better option yet.

GhaleonEB

The latter. Or, you can use it with a Bladedancer while not using the invis perk.

I haven't played a Gunslinger build in a long time, and this will entice me into doing so. Stealth is just too useful.

LiK

Crota's End Hard Mode
- "WHERE ARE MY PANTS?!?!?"
- fig dying upon landing

Vault of Glass Hard Mode
- "What you fail to realize is that I- WHY CAN'T I REVIVE?!?"
- fig dying after being pushed off
- Everything with phenom and his kids

You play with so many noobs

phen0m24

Crota's End Hard Mode
- fig dying upon landing

Vault of Glass Hard Mode

:)

My orb killing an oracle

one of the great mysteries of the Vault

OkayRene

Crota's End Hard Mode
- fig dying upon landing

Vault of Glass Hard Mode

Those were a lot of fun last night, thanks a bunch everyone!

I was also super happy you guys got me that Gorgon-killing grimoire card.

Gammacide

I am right there with you Ryck. 800 hours going and no horn.

We should start a Teamnohorn clan.
I was feeling that way so hard in the last couple of days and reading on Bungie's forum about the No Horn club and everything. Suddenly I'm jumping on DeathJr's gorgon cp and the guy before me gets a Suros Regime and I'm pretty jealous despite the nerf, but then I open the chest and it falls to me. Incredible. Is all I've talked about for the last few days and there it is finally. I'm convinced everyone will have one eventually, but you never know I suppose. Keep the faith.

Haha yeah my clan is currently in implosion mode so maybe I will take you up on that.

What stings the most is I have a few friends I have helped level up doing VOG and Crota just for the armor and in each raid I have seen Ghallys drop for them. It's almost to the point where I have become the good luck charm for others getting the Ghally. So.... Raid with me and you will get that Ghally! Lol

Madness

So I pre-ordered the Destiny TTK legendary edition which ships September 15th. I would've bought Destiny last year with Xbox one, but I was foolish enough to think MCC would be the game that would take my time. And then I just put off buying Destiny because people hated the story, and didn't really play PvP, said no point getting into it now as expansions meant people moving on etc. Said to myself I'd pick it up when the GoTY version came. Well the legendary edition is basically the GoTY so what can I expect. My beta stuff is still saved to my account. But should I run through all the original content, or jump right into TTK stuff right away so that I don't miss out on the new raids etc. What class would you recommend? Sorry if it's asking a lot. Plan to play the hell out of this nonstop to catch up.

What they should do for the vault space problem is to create a separate vault that is only accessible from bungie.net / the app companion.
This is not ideal, but since this vault would never be displayed in the game there would be no performance hit on the old generation consoles, and we could use this new space to store items we rarely use.

Agreed. They just need an archive that is only accessible from the internets. Last gen is no excuse when they have such robust web tools available. I can scroll through the results of every match I ever had on B.net. Let me scroll through my archived weapons and move them to my vault via the app.

ocean

Banned
Yeah, I suppose it could also work, but then again we don't know how much memory packed things can be on older generations.
One thing's for sure though is that there are solutions to this problem, even if they aren't perfect, so I will never bite on the "we can't add more space anymore please understand" line they would feed us... ^^
Then again, all of this comes from a quick non-answer from Deej: I'm quite hopeful we will get a vault upgrade at one point before or for HoW. After all they did say they were working on something more consequent about it that one time they patched a bit more space...

Well the problem if I recall correctly was holding all of the weapon's overlay stat/perk sheets at the same time for view while browsing your Vault. The memory problem only comes into play because you're trying to display too large a catalogue at once for the older gens' memory capabilities.

Splitting stuff up into two Vaults would eliminate this problem. I mean old gen has enough memory to display the current Vault. They can't do a bigger Vault, but they could have several different ones :p You either have one open or the other, but you'd never be seeing both at the same time so it should work from a memory management pov (I say this of course without knowing the exact details of how these systems work but it's a reasonable assumption).

Having one Vault for your weapons and another for your Armor would allow them to store more content while displaying the same amount while you're managing your stuff.

phen0m24

So I pre-ordered the Destiny TTK legendary edition which ships September 15th. I would've bought Destiny last year with Xbox one, but I was foolish enough to think MCC would be the game that would take my time. And then I just put off buying Destiny because people hated the story, and didn't really play PvP, said no point getting into it now as expansions meant people moving on etc. Said to myself I'd pick it up when the GoTY version came. Well the legendary edition is basically the GoTY so what can I expect. My beta stuff is still saved to my account. But should I run through all the original content, or jump right into TTK stuff right away so that I don't miss out on the new raids etc. What class would you recommend? Sorry if it's asking a lot. Plan to play the hell out of this nonstop to catch up.
First response best response.

TITAN MASTER RACE

Just logged off 5 mins ago, dinner was ready. Wheelhoss should have the checkpoint, you can grab it off him if he's still online, else I'll be back in an hour or so..

Yeah thanks no worries, just testing out my connection. But my dinner will be ready soon as well and considering you're 8 hours ahead of me, you're eating dinner around 1AM, I would have died :p

I'm there now if you want it, psn is jiza88

Thank you, FR incoming!

I was feeling that way so hard in the last couple of days and reading on Bungie's forum about the No Horn club and everything. Suddenly I'm jumping on DeathJr's gorgon cp and the guy before me gets a Suros Regime and I'm pretty jealous despite the nerf, but then I open the chest and it falls to me. Incredible. Is all I've talked about for the last few days and there it is finally. I'm convinced everyone will have one eventually, but you never know I suppose. Keep the faith.

yah I always hope to get one after weekly resets but luck just hasn't been on my side. Congrats on yours! I am sure it's a special feeling when that first one drops. I still think I may pass out if I ever see it drop for me.

Kyoufu

I assume it isn't feasible since players have the ability to bounce between console generations. If a player over stuffs they're ps4 vault what happens to the extra stuff when they log in on their ps3?

I think in some other games they just don't let you access those slots. There must be a workaround!

ethomaz

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong but it feels like the cooldown on the gloves is shorter than the one on the Bladedancer perk.
I don't think the cooldown in the perk is something slow but there is a glitch in the perk.

Case 1 (the glitch)
- Crouch and get invis
- The invis ends
- Crouch again and well the glitch happens... you won't get invis no matter how much time you stay crouched

Case 2 (avoiding the glitch)
- Crouch and get invis
- The invis ends
- Crouch one time and get up
- Crouch again and get invis

The cooldown is less than 2 seconds.

BTW you can use the perk if you are ivis from other source too... like I used the melee and got invis and before it ends I crouched and got invis again.

Namikaze1

You play with so many noobs
The quotes are from me. Stupid warlock wouldn't radiance. I had super up and it wouldn't use it.

My orb killing an oracle

one of the great mysteries of the Vault
Aye, a great mystery like the fable fifth non-Spirit Bloom chest.

I tried! The Well cheesed us! I blame " died."
Phenom was the first and then the curse moved on to me.

rNilla

Well the problem if I recall correctly was holding all of the weapon's overlay stat/perk sheets at the same time for view while browsing your Vault. The memory problem only comes into play because you're trying to display too large a catalogue at once for the older gens' memory capabilities.

Splitting stuff up into two Vaults would eliminate this problem. I mean old gen has enough memory to display the current Vault. They can't do a bigger Vault, but they could have several different ones :p You either have one open or the other, but you'd never be seeing both at the same time so it should work from a memory management pov (I say this of course without knowing the exact details of how these systems work but it's a reasonable assumption).

Having one Vault for your weapons and another for your Armor would allow them to store more content while displaying the same amount while you're managing your stuff.

Another thing they could do is actually have weapon progression and make new weapons that outclass old ones. They've hinted at this in TTK and if they introduce new, worthwhile weapons and discontinue the concept of ascending the problem may take care of itself.

Vault space is an issue but moreso because weapon progression is also an issue (or non-existent).

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it a one way trip from old gen to new gen? As in you can play on ps3, then when you buy a ps4 you can transfer your character to ps4. Then once you do that, the accounts are sperate.

Your character is stored on Bungie's servers and can be accessed from either console at anytime. You can bounce back and forth all you want.

Namikaze1

I forgot the "Come here. Come closer. Just a bit closer. GET BLINDED BITCHES!" moment from Crota's End. The Iron Wafer was the last one alive. I had radiance and was at the bridge. Wafer was still making his way to the bridge. Bridge deconstructed and the Thralls attacked all the ghosts there except for mine. Three minutes later, one finally attacks mine causing everyone else to run straight to mine. I equipped the new robes and waited for them to huddle up. I died about a minute later after reviving.

ocean

Banned

For the the Don't Touch Me looks like a better option yet.

The latter. Or, you can use it with a Bladedancer while not using the invis perk.

I haven't played a Gunslinger build in a long time, and this will entice me into doing so. Stealth is just too useful.

Nope, this is the absolute best Exotic for a stealth build. Using it on a Gunslinger is nice. Using it on a Bladedancer while freeing up the Stalker perk is nice. But the real utility comes when using this Exotic + Stalker perk. You can remain invisible forever! You just have to equip Khepri while under the Stalker invisibility so that the subclass Stalker and the Khepri Stalker are on different cooldowns. This separation of the cooldowns means that whenever your invisibility runs out, you can crouch and go invisible again because the "other" one will be ready. More detail:

PSA on Khepri infinity stealth:

Tired of going invisible then waiting on cool down before you can go invisible again after crouching? Xur has you covered!

Khepri awards you the same Stalker perk available on the Bladedancer subclass. If you crouch and *while invisible* you equip Khepri, you'll have 2 Stalker perks with different cool down timers.

What this means is once your invisibility runs out, the subclass Stalker will be on cool down...but the Khepri Stalker will be ready. Just crouch again and you're invisible! Once it wears off, the subclass Stalker will have cooled down, so you can crouch again and go invisible.

Basically, if you equip Khepri while invisible, you'll *always* be able to go invisible by crouching. Never wait on cool down. This is amazingly useful for PoE mines or Abyss solo. Only bummer is you need to manually separate the cool down timers every time you die by repeating the initial process (go invisible while wearing something else and *then* equip Khepri).

Enjoy! Bungie stalkers, please don't fix this.

Yeah thanks no worries, just testing out my connection. But my dinner will be ready soon as well and considering you're 8 hours ahead of me, you're eating dinner around 1AM, I would have died :p

Yeah it's 1:30am now, but I had a late lunch so wasn't hungry during normal dinner time. Also plan to stay awake for a couple of more hours so feeling hungry now.

FyreWulff

Yeah, I suppose it could also work, but then again we don't know how much memory packed things can be on older generations.
One thing's for sure though is that there are solutions to this problem, even if they aren't perfect, so I will never bite on the "we can't add more space anymore please understand" line they would feed us... ^^
Then again, all of this comes from a quick non-answer from Deej: I'm quite hopeful we will get a vault upgrade at one point before or for HoW. After all they did say they were working on something more consequent about it that one time they patched a bit more space...

I don't know the deep engine or anything, but the expansion of vault space was probably not as big since it was done more quickly, and likely touched less systems.

The issue games have when accomodating various hardware (even moreso on PC) is you budget X amount of RAM to your UI and item ux components. You keep this limit a hard limit so that you don't have to worry about it later. In many cases games are not maxing out the RAM but leave themselves overhead.

What the first vault upgrade probably did was max out the UI ram limit (self imposed by Bungie and the engine parameters). Rewriting it so the game isn't keeping track of the vault all the time, or increasing the UI RAM allottment on last gen would be a deeper code write and re-write and would have to be planned carefully as to not screw themselves later if they needed the RAM. This would be needed even if Destiny was next-gen only.

As the camera pics of the E3 build show, there's a LOT more quest and bounty slots, so I imagine the canary build of Destiny probably has this re-write in the process of being completed now.

I like www.xurday.com

Easy to remember, easy to view

edit: oh... It's wrong though... :-/
Ah the dude's on vacation. Shame!

ah, basically as soon as I get up on friday. MAK Morning after kill usually has a video up. I get my location and items for sale out of the gate . And some entertaining comentary

Also, I need an intervention. I have blown over 300 motes in the last 2 Xur visits trying to get purifier robes, all I get are rasberries, protocals, and lupis.

I need to stop.

I think that would be a great idea going forward, but while working on that, give me a quick and dirty out of game solution. The web based "archive" would still be useful 10 years from now when I want to pull my Khvostov out for the weekend.

PbmFbHW.png

I completely lost track of what day it is x__x. I wonder what the trials map will be. I only really want the titan chest plate this week. Meh

Ryck

What stings the most is I have a few friends I have helped level up doing VOG and Crota just for the armor and in each raid I have seen Ghallys drop for them. It's almost to the point where I have become the good luck charm for others getting the Ghally. So.... Raid with me and you will get that Ghally! Lol
Funny I feel the same way (being a good luck charm) ... gotta do Atheon x3 later if you are game?

Ryck007

ocean

Banned
Another thing they could do is actually have weapon progression and make new weapons that outclass old ones. They've hinted at this in TTK and if they introduce new, worthwhile weapons and discontinue the concept of ascending the problem may take care of itself.

Vault space is an issue but moreso because weapon progression is also an issue (or non-existent).

That perspective just skirts the issue. I could use the same argument and say that we don't need Vault space because the new stuff isn't worth owning. I think we all say this very often because of a few outliers, but in general, there are extremely few cases where your best bet is a Vanilla legendary right now.

For all the love we heap at The Devil You Know, the only reason for keeping one is sentimentality. You can roll a Red Hand IX with better perks all over. Except for a Firefly+Outlaw Ghaleon's Demise or random roll in the past (that's the best possible combo and is no longer available), the new Scout Rifles can be re rolled into being far superior to your old stuff, including formerly Raid-specific perks like Automatic Fire.

High impact Shotguns? The best around for PvP is the Matador 64. Low impact snipers? LGH and the ToO snipers are far and above the nicest in terms of RoF/Aim Assist in the 2bodyshot kill tier. For high impact Snipers, Her Benevolence is re rollable and at the very top of the pile for PvP. Rocket Launchers? Ash Factory with the right rolls (which you can now seek out) beats any old legendary RL except for perhaps the Iron Banner one.

Corrective Measure is cool but stats wise it's literally a carbon copy of the M18 Harm's Way. The Swarm < a well rolled PvP dropped machine gun. That Hopscotch pulse rifle is wrecking stuff out there. The Jewel is a perfect PvP Legendary Hand Cannon.

It goes on. The new stuff is, in general, the best available. We get the feeling that that's not the case because of how few new exotics we have. Out of the 27 we have in total, 20 are from Vanilla. So of course a large part of the coveted exotics are old - a large part of all of the exotics are old. But to be honest only a very few old legendaries come to mind that really beat the currently available re rollable stuff (Fatebringer, Black Hammer and The Supremacy; debatable but let's at a stretch include Vision of Confluence and barely maybe Found Verdict).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom