• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Etheric Light from HoW end-game activities (PoE + ToO) and random NF drop.
Yeah, for some reason I didn't expect the goalposts to move forward with each expansion when it came to raids.

Don't know how I got that idea into my brain, but I figured that all of the raids would stay as lucrative end-game activities regardless of player level, but in reality they're level-gated like everything else (though with hard modes) and drop their own resources - ones needed to upgrade the gear they drop.

ich00

Does anyone have the nm gorgon cp I could grab real quick? I have the hm one, looking for nm to share with my brother.

Reported for camping rofl

maxresdefault.jpg

Admodieus

Hoping to get on around 8:30 EST (an hour from now), looking for either a Gorgon chest checkpoint or to join up with a group for Vault of Glass normal. My PS4 guy is only Level 27 but I've done the raid a number of times on XBox so I'm familiar with it.

GhaleonEB

Yeah, for some reason I didn't expect the goalposts to move forward with each expansion when it came to raids.

Don't know how I got that idea into my brain, but I figured that all of the raids would stay as lucrative end-game activities regardless of player level, but in reality they're level-gated like everything else (though with hard modes) and drop their own resources - ones needed to upgrade the gear they drop.

I thought they would drop from raids as well, at random, as with Nightfalls. I still think they should.

There are four sources for etheric light, two from PvP (Iron Banner and Trials) and two from PvE (Nightfall and Prison of Elders). As a PvE player, what I find really odd is you only get etheric light from the level 34 or 35 PoE. I thought it would drop at 32, so you could progress up from there to the 34.

A month out from HoW I have one character at 34, and it's due to a mix of an exotic piece, one Variks item, and two etheric light (two drops across 12 Nightfalls). It's a really weird way to level.

Luke said they are re-architecting the endgame with Taken King; hopefully progression is rethought from the ground up as well.

Shito

To get Etheric Light you can do Nightfall too for a chance of one dropping. Is it me or is Omnigul the worst strike in the game? I hate the last part of that strike. :(
Yup, I usually don't bother when it comes out as the nightfall, but my gf and a friend we've recently started running content with really wanted to do it. I cringed and moaned and cussed like fig during that last fight...
All of that for a dupe exotic each, even for our friend who only started playing like two months ago and is still missing a ton of exotics: yeah!

There are four sources for etheric light, two from PvP (Iron Banner and Trials) and two from PvE (Nightfall and Prison of Elders). As a PvE player, what I find really odd is you only get etheric light from the level 34 or 35 PoE. I thought it would drop at 32, so you could progress up from there to the 34.
Oh man, I thought the same thing. So getting lucky drops in Nightfalls are my only PvE option to level up from 32?

Or are you expected to jump into PoE 34 when underleveled? Or is this Bungie's way of nudging everybody into PvP?

Shito

Oh man, I thought the same thing. So getting lucky drops in Nightfalls are my only PvE option to level up from 32?

Or are you expected to jump into PoE 34 when underleveled? Or is this Bungie's way of nudging everybody into PvP?
No, the standard route is to play PoE 32 each week to get those armor cores and buy a piece of ascended gear from Variks. Since they are nicely rotating (for once), it will take you 3 weeks, granted you have an exotic to fit in the last slot -- 4 weeks otherwise.
One piece and an exotic will push you to 33, and from there if you fancy the underlevel mechanic (I don't ^^) you can start running PoE 34.
Or you can just wait to be 34 to start running PoE 34, like I did, and then use the etheric lights on your best weapons / alternate armors.

No, the standard route is to play PoE 32 each week to get those armor cores and buy a piece of ascended gear from Variks. Since they are nicely rotating (for once), it will take you 3 weeks, granted you have an exotic to fit in the last slot -- 4 weeks otherwise.
One piece and an exotic will push you to 33, and from there if you fancy the underlevel mechanic (I don't ^^) you can start running PoE 34.
Or you can just wait to be 34 to start running PoE 34, like I did, and then use the etheric lights on your best weapons / alternate armors.
Wow, and thanks for the detail. You level up and the choices to continue your progress narrow so very much. So cores and rep with Variks to 34 is my best bet, with a lucky chance for etheric light in the Nightfalls. Got it.

phen0m24

I HEART YOU GUYS

Yes I have to feed my kids

And RNG knows my deal

Auto Rifle

and

NLB!!

:)

Thanks Unstable and Wicked you guys freaking RULE

M3Rocket

Before HoW, all the VoG gear put you at a disadvantage in CE compared to CE gear. The HoW added ability for gear ascension on the other hand makes rewards from these previous raids completely viable. The CE chest piece boost specific weapon type (Scout, HC, Sniper, etc.) reload/extra ammo. All the VoG gear boost specific classes (Special Weapon, Heavy, etc.). The only piece needed for relevancy in HoW can only be predictably obtained there. So a fair trade-off.

I think it's clear that the way they gated Etheric light is off-base. You can actually get more guaranteed Etheric Light from a PvP activity than PvE. But gear ascension really matter more in PvE since there are only two modes in PvP (IB and ToO) where it matters. Then they gated desirable elemental primaries in PvP, where elemental damage doesn't matter.

Yeah, I didn't really grok ascending items at first either. I almost broke down the gear I got from the Hard VoG run because it didn't have as much light as my current setup. Thankfully my buddy stopped me before I could and reminded me to ascend the stuff with the better perks.

border

My real-life friends are STILL asking to do Trials even though we have never had more than a single win on any ticket since the event began 5 weeks ago.

Can someone give me a crash course on the map this week?

Also, how am supposed to start politely bowing out of this?

LiK

My real-life friends are STILL asking to do Trials even though we have never had more than a single win on any ticket since the event began 5 weeks ago.

It's a small map. And new for most players. HoW map

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey

TLW, Shotgun and whatever.

Anyone wanna do Trials? Need help, gonna be my third try for today. Anything above that is a bonus. I'm ok-ish at pvp. Striker Titan equipped with 365 Thorn, 331 Matador/Black Hammer, 331 Hunger.

PSN - rolyreyes

My dearest NeoGAF,

I come to you in times of great distress. Our third for ToO has left his close-knit Fireteam for a prior engagement. Without him we fear we my never progress past our current 2-0 score card. Is there no brave hero who will step up in our time of great need...

PSN: HidingMyThunder

bitsurugi

I actually liked Thieve's den... turned out to be a really good map... hell, i loved sniping here and was considering not to snipe at all.

The new maps all in all are REALLY good and better then most vanilla maps. At least in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom