• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoufu

Do you all remember that originally Destiny was supposed to be released in the summer of 2014?

That means we would be getting The Taken King, or Expansion 1 right now. :(

I have good news for you X-Frame. That dream you had... it was real.

Destiny did launch in summer of 2014.

We ARE getting The Taken King soon.

Gammacide

Thanks for killing my iPad with these gifs.
Haha! Mine too! Wiped Safari clean. Had to open all my tabs again. :-/

I was attempting this with randoms earlier today and we actually got to round five easily, but couldn't be the boss and must have wiped over a dozen times.
This happened to me to the other day. A few of us without horns went in and wiped 7-8 times on the Cabal boss. Finally beat him after an hour or more. Awful. Tried again with a full team of horns and it took maybe 90 seconds and the boss was down. Outrageously easy.

gifv or gffy plz

BT2Susm.gifv

td;lr Suck it up and rebuy everything again.

Eurogamer: So it may seem like a small thing but you're adding exclusive content to the game - three new dance emotes - that players can't get unless they rebuy the main game and the two existing DLCs. Is that right?

Luke Smith: "There is no way right now for you to get the new dance emotes without doing that. Those are Collector's Edition exclusive. We've set some stuff aside for that edition specifically to really make it appeal to fans who have engaged with the game already and also to people that will enter the game this autumn.

Can you see that some fans are confused that you're asking them to buy stuff they already own?

"Yeah, I can totally empathise with those people. But the Collector's Edition is a pretty cool package for people who want to pursue that stuff. Otherwise, surely what you're saying is that you would want to buy them separately, right?"

Well, yeah. I would rather do that - pay a few pounds or dollars or whatever - than spend money on things I already own.

"Well, we have nothing more to talk about regarding your opportunity to spend extra money in Destiny, other than The Taken King and the three versions we've announced."

What I'm saying is that fan frustration is not because they don't understand the proposition. It comes regardless of how cool the exclusive content is. The frustration - and mine as a fan - is that the method of acquiring it requires me to re-buy content I bought a year ago.

A: "[Long pause] It's about value. The player's assessment of the value of the content."

npa5yMn.gif

Kyoufu

Damn you for being technically correct, haha.

So I lied and meant Spring of 2014. I could have sworn the original release date was early June.

It was actually meant to be released in 2013 IIRC but that didn't happen. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

rNilla

I know I'm in the minority but I don't think it's worth getting worked up over some digital cosmetic items which are basically preorder incentives.

th3dude

Luke really comes off as annoyed and, to be honest, pretty unapologetic about the Collector's Edition content not being very available for current players.

I'm sure they are sick of hearing about it, but maybe they should just fix it and offer us a DLC Collector's Edition.

Homeboyd

All we've have from day 1 is smarm and asshole comments from Destiny's PR team. It's pathetic.
To answer the original post, pre-edit; I have a weird sense of humor. The dude is clearly super upset about those emotes which is just funny to me personally.

As to your current post; gamers tend to get upset about stuff, reasonable or not, a lot. Sometimes deej doesn't do the best job at handling it, but bungie has a history of making real changes in the game that matter, which is more important to me.

Frenden

Banned
I, for one, can't wait for my bending over and taking it the ass emote.

(Kidding, I bought the CE and don't feel too passionately about the exclusivity one way or the other.)

MrS

Banned
That interview is a joke right...

Checks calendar (Not April 1st).

Q: What I'm saying is that fan frustration is not because they don't understand the proposition. It comes regardless of how cool the exclusive content is. The frustration - and mine as a fan - is that the method of acquiring it requires me to re-buy content I bought a year ago.

A: "[Long pause] It's about value. The player's assessment of the value of the content."

It's happened. They've finally begun to believe their own bullshit.

To answer the original post, pre-edit; I have a weird sense of humor. The dude is clearly super upset about those emotes which is just funny to me personally.

As to your current post; gamers tend to get upset about stuff, reasonable or not, a lot. Sometimes deej doesn't do the best job at handling it, but bungie has a history of making real changes in the game that matter, which is more important to me.
Yeah, I edited it because I'm not angry at you, just at what Bungie are doing with the game. It's crazy to me that they are demanding the price of the game again for 1/4 of the content. It's absurd.

th3dude

I know I'm in the minority but I don't think it's worth getting worked up over some digital cosmetic items which are basically preorder incentives.

I get it, and at the end of the day I won't lose any sleep over it, but the question remains:

Why offer these 'incentives' for new customers and not your current customers?

To me, it is no different than how the cable companies operate (at least here in the US): "Oh sorry, we can't offer you that deal, it is for new customers only."

WTF is that? If it wasn't for your current customers, you wouldn't be able to fund the new content. Why leave them hanging?

Mindlog

Eurogamer: So it may seem like a small thing but you're adding exclusive content to the game - three new dance emotes - that players can't get unless they rebuy the main game and the two existing DLCs. Is that right?

Luke Smith: "There is no way right now for you to get the new dance emotes without doing that. Those are Collector's Edition exclusive. We've set some stuff aside for that edition specifically to really make it appeal to fans who have engaged with the game already and also to people that will enter the game this autumn.
XIomytf.png

I think the interviewer was insistent on asking Luke stuff he doesn't know about. Luke designs raids, not pricing plans. It seems like Luke was going to give the interviewer a ballpark of the amount of content, and then the interviewer just couldn't get past the pricing. So Luke started to screw with him, while being honest at the same time.

Updated roster for a last minute before reset hard mode raid tonight at 11 EDT. Still need more.

1. th3dude119
2. Sketch_Turntable
3. V1ctIm

Full disclosure on me: never done a hard mode or sword or anything, so experienced players are desired.

I assume CE since it should be quicker but I'm up for either.

I also have never done HM Crota's End. A few experienced people would be fantastic.

ocean

Banned
As I said the other day, people are silly to hate on Deej when he's just the messenger. Whether it's Deej or Luke or Urk or the goddamn master chief himself, we'll always be upset to hear answers we don't like. And Bungie gives us those more often than not. So the hate on Deej is totally misplaced since he's just communicating the company's decisions, which he has zero control over.

I think the CE would have been an attractive package without exclusive in game cosmetics. The physical package is a great deal that didn't require the little finger up launch player's ass of locking emotes behind it.

On a practical level, this is insignificant and beyond petty. An emote and shader qualify as less than useless. But it's the principle that I find troubling.

Whatever. Everyone is a dick sometimes, this is just one such moment for our friends at Bungie.

I get it, and at the end of the day I won't lose any sleep over it, but the question remains:

To me, it is no different than how the cable companies operate (at least here in the US): "Oh sorry, we can't offer you that deal, it is for new customers only."

WTF is that? If it wasn't for your current customers, you wouldn't be able to fund the new content. Why leave them hanging?

tumblr_inline_nmx4wgrYXL1snef70_500.gif

Dedicated fans will give them more money. They don't really care how most other fans feel about it.

Tjamato88

I picked up Destiny agai after not playing it for months. I'd love some help beating all the expansion content and help grinding for gear.

My PSN name is TJ_Electronica for anyone that wants to add me.

rNilla

Because, like the cable companies, they've already got us and are looking to get more. "Customer loyalty" is a myth; deals exist to entice new customers.

If anything this shows that Bungie (and/or Activision) is indeed paying attention. All of the unnecessary collector's editions and preorder incentives that gamers have chased over the years have not gone unnoticed.

Xater

Give people that stuff from the Legendary edition as a pre-order bonus for Taken King. There problem solved. It's kinda ridiculous that this edition needs extra incentive because it is he'll of a deal considering the prices we had to pay.

EL CUCO

After watching some of Luke's previous interviews, it's obvious that he jokes alot and pretty laid-back. I'm sure most of it would never translate well through text.

th3dude

tumblr_inline_nmx4wgrYXL1snef70_500.gif

Dedicated fans will give them more money. They don't really care how most other fans feel about it.

GIF made me LOL.

I just don't want to believe that they don't care, I guess.

Because, like the cable companies, they've already got us and are looking to get more. "Customer loyalty" is a myth; deals exist to entice new customers.

If anything this shows that Bungie (and/or Activision) is indeed paying attention. All of the unnecessary collector's editions and preorder incentives that gamers have chased over the years have not gone unnoticed.

I disagree to an extent. With cable, yes I'm 'locked in' because it is a pretty common staple of a household. Yes, that is changing, but not yet.

I guess we just hope for better with companies that make GAMES. They are supposed to be fun and rewarding. We shouldn't feel like we are being treated like cable customers.

LTWood12

Wow I totally disagree. I thought Luke was actually giving real honest to God answers, at least as much as he could, and trying to keep it lighthearted and funny while doing so. If anything I thought the interviewer came across as petty.

rNilla

They need incentives for the digital CE. Ridiculous price considering what you get with the physical version.

This and the fact that there is not a digital equivalent to the Legendary Edition are bigger pricing crimes to me.

Wow I totally disagree. I thought Luke was actually giving real honest to God answers, at least as much as he could, and trying to keep it lighthearted and funny while doing so. If anything I thought the interviewer came across as petty.

Yeah I don't see how you can perceive Luke so negatively without also noticing how the interviewer would not let a relatively insignificant detail about their upcoming release go. Surely there are more hard-hitting questions he could have badgered Luke about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom