• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

I thought he was pretty honest about his side and the gamers' side.

He wants emotes for everyone. He said it. Do you think it's his decision to hold them back?

Sounded like classic Luke, god bless him.

Yeah, I thought he did okay. It's not his job to set he pricing, thought the only part I think could be handled better was the exchange about he value of the CE stuff. It's a $40 proposition for current players to get the extras - that's not a good thing and there is no defending it. Which is why he had a hard time doing so.

That said, it's hard not to read between the lines of his responses about selling that kind of stuff separately in Destiny and think that might be a way forward. At least, not something have ruled out.

ocean

Banned
You guys really are considering buy everthing back because of 3 unique emotes and 3 unique class items?

I mean... why?
Even people who won't do so can be bothered by how ballsy these guys are being. The CE is indeed fantastic value for a newcomer. Nobody will deny that. I'll go further: even without the exclusive in game content, it's fair pricing for us. You pay US$40 extra and get art book, a steelbook case, a replica strange coin...nerdy swag. Worth it for many of us.

But telling us, who have given them US90-100 and hundreds of hours of our time, that we can't get new emotes unless we re purchase, is an aggressively inconsiderate proposition. And like I'm not even saying they should be free. TTK is 40; if they gave a 50$ option crisis averted. The issue is saying "nah, re buy everything or be stuck with the same 3 emotes you've had since launch. Oh this bothers you? Lol."

The world's tiniest violin is playing the saddest song imaginable for us. This is the smallest and most insignificant issue I can even conceive people getting riled up over, but no matter how small it is unequivocally an asshole move on their part.

LTWood12

I agree about the Digital CE pricing. But am I wrong or is that pretty much par for the course across the industry? Seems like the Digital version is always the same price. I know for Diablo III: ROS the physical and digital CEs were the same price (though it is another Activision/Blizzard game).

Just saying I think it's shitty across the board, and not something that's exclusive to Destiny.

Yeah, I thought he did okay. It's not his job to set he pricing, thought the only part I think could be handled better was the exchange about he value of the CE stuff. It's a $40 proposition for current players to get the extras - that's not a good thing and there is no defending it. Which is why he had a hard time doing so.

That said, it's hard not to read between the lines of his responses about selling that kind of stuff separately in Destiny and think that might be a way forward. At least, not something have ruled out.

I actually read his comments on that as a firm "never". Could be me tho.

Even people who won't do so can be bothered by how ballsy these guys are being. The CE is indeed fantastic value for a newcomer. Nobody will deny that. I'll go further: even without the exclusive in game content, it's fair pricing for us. You pay US$40 extra and get art book, a steelbook case, a replica strange coin...nerdy swag. Worth it for many of us.

But telling us, who have given them US90-100 and hundreds of hours of our time, that we can't get new emotes unless we re purchase, is an aggressively inconsiderate proposition. And like I'm not even saying they should be free. TTK is 40; if they gave a 50$ option crisis averted. The issue is saying "nah, re buy everything or be stuck with the same 3 emotes you've had since launch. Oh this bothers you? Lol."

The world's tiniest violin is playing the saddest song imaginable for us. This is the smallest and most insignificant issue I can even conceive people getting riled up over, but no matter how small it is unequivocally an asshole move on their part.

Ok... I plan to get TTK at some point near release and the 2 dlc´s that come after that too. Don't think these exclusive stuff will be missed.

EL CUCO

This is what I got out of that interview. I wouldn't be a fan of any type of microtransaction in Destiny. Quite frankly, I love that there isn't a single one. But if the majority of the players ask for it, not much we can do.

Nuszka

Definitely will not purchase the content again to get some emotes , preordered tTK as the digital upgrade to my digital copy for $40.
One thing i wonder, what will bungie do with the vanilla, tDB and HoW content for brand new players, they advertise the legendary edition as this great package , but to me it seems like the moment that tTK lunches everything else will be inferior. Only thing new players will get are a view story missions, the only end game content will exist in TTK.
Would love for them to expand on old strikes or raids with Oryxes armies in the mix in some way.

I agree about the Digital CE pricing. But am I wrong or is that pretty much par for the course across the industry? Seems like the Digital version is always the same price. I know for Diablo III: ROS the physical and digital CEs were the same price (though it is another Activision/Blizzard game).

Just saying I think it's shitty across the board, and not something that's exclusive to Destiny.

Nah, it definitely isn't exclusive to Destiny. I'll never understand why people buy digital CE's.

Of course. I just don't understand. It's 3 emotes. And 3 class items that gives +XP. It will probably be outclassed by something you get from vendors and such.

I understand both perspectives. I've had this kind of OCD about games before, but I'm over it. Just want to kill people in the Crucible. Don't have to collect every piece of gear to do that.

I picked up Destiny agai after not playing it for months. I'd love some help beating all the expansion content and help grinding for gear.

My PSN name is TJ_Electronica for anyone that wants to add me.
Hey did you check the OP? I think there is a guide to show the best method to grind out for gear :)

Does anyone want to help me get the Messenger tonight? I'm pretty decent, lifetime K/D of 1.23. Played some trials over the weekend and went 6-3. So close!

hydruxo

Final question on prices -

"Is it also the final question on the emotes?"

I'm not going to mention them again. I can't get them.

"But you can if you buy the Collector's Edition."

I'm not going to buy the game and the two DLCs all over again.

"Ok, but first I want to poke at you on this a little bit."

Poke at me?

"You're feeling anxious because you want this exclusive content but you don't know yet how much you want it. The notion of spending this money is making you anxious, I can see it -"

I do want them. I would buy them -

"If I fired up a video right now and showed you the emotes you would throw money at the screen."

Everything the interviewer said in this was valid, and the exact same complaints most people (including myself) have with the pricing of the CEs. Luke Smith did nothing but try to joke around with him and get off the subject. They don't even care that we have to pay extra for content we already own if we want the CE. Luke's answers in this interview are more or less "Lol sorry dude just deal with it and buy it all again".

At the end of the day, these digital extras are going to be irrelevant. It's just this whole pricing thing and this interview in particular comes off the wrong way.

Frenden

Banned
Eh, what is he supposed to do? he is a dev not a PR guy, on top of that its probably Activision controlling that stuff.

does it suck? yes.. but fuck me im getting the CE so I guess im part of the problem. Ghost Edition owner here too.
Yeah. I have the CoD preorder shader, the Nepalese shader/emblem (at least this was for a good cause), the preorder ghost and, now, the CE stuff.

I'm a sucker and probably exactly the goober this stuff is aimed at. But I want all the things.

Luke's an alright dude, but I'm sure glad a reporter pal of mine took me aside years ago and told me that snark doesn't translate to the written word well. And that it leaves you looking super bad without the inflection and context of the audible exchange.

I have a sarcastic sense of humor and was tanking written interviews in my field (not games).

Definitely will not purchase the content again to get some emotes , preordered tTK as the digital upgrade to my digital copy for $40.
One thing i wonder, what will bungie do with the vanilla, tDB and HoW content for brand new players, they advertise the legendary edition as this great package , but to me it seems like the moment that tTK lunches everything else will be inferior. Only ting new players will get are a view story missions, the only end game content will exist in TTK.
Would love for them to expand on old strikes or raids with Oryxes armies in the mix in some way.

Crota's End, ToO and PoE will still be around. The added strikes and Crucible maps, too. Swordbearers will no longer be appearing everywhere, but it sounded like Luke hinted at packs of Wolves still roaming. I may have read into that wrong. It's basically £15 for both expansions when everyone here spent £30-35.

Kyoufu

Yeah. I have the CoD preorder shader, the Nepalese shader/emblem (at least this was for a good cause), the preorder ghost and, now, the CE stuff.

I'm a sucker and probably exactly the goober this stuff is aimed at. But I want all the things.

There's not even enough vault space for this shit.

willow ve

One thing I would like to know about Destiny future... When can I stop putting my Destiny Disc into the console? How far down the line does it get before what I'm playing no longer requires that physical confirmation of ownership?

td;lr Suck it up and rebuy everything again.

npa5yMn.gif

Assholes. They'll be losing money from me when they pulled this shit.

ocean

Banned
Ok... I plan to get TTK at some point near release and the 2 dlc´s that come after that too. Don't think these exclusive stuff will be missed.
That's the thing, it's an issue about principles. There's dozens of shaders, nobody gives a shit about these 3. Class items from vendors will now have telemetry style buffs so we'll be changing ten out really often - meaning the new ones would rarely be used anyways as well have to switch out for different things. Emotes are whatever, no big deal.

Like these cosmetics are insignificant and even people who get them won't use then for more than a week or two. Their attitude is the problem here.

It's one thing to sell us backwards maps and label them as new story missions. It's one thing to slap skins on the same weapon model 40 times and call it 40 weapons. It's one thing to completely disregard our time and effort with a random, expensive and wasteful exotic upgrade system that totally negates player effort and achievement. It's one thing to sell your game as a living world and have it literally be the most static thing imaginable, with every single instance spawning exactly the same enemies at exactly the same positions on an unchanging timer. Or to have the "it'll be a different experience every single time you go" Prison of Elders be fixed on a static rotation on level 35. To repeat models even on the highest tier - VoG and CE sparrows and ships are re skins. To create new subclasses where half the abilities are copy pasted (zero new jumps, very few new grenades, no change in armor/recovery/agility build possibilities). Or not having any way in the game to know who wants to run a Raid with you on your friends list. Or never fixing VoG drop rates - nearly a year in, still no fusion rifle here! Or releasing an "expansion" with one Strike. Singular.

We've let all of this shit slide because hey, we love this game. And while these are punishing, greedy, dumb or just incomprehensible decisions at least we could take solace in the fact that they were equally shitty for us all.

Adding emotes is not a developer intensive ordeal. It's the kind of stuff they should have added for free on Christmas or whatever. It's emotes, who gives a damn. It's meaningless stuff. Cool to have, meaningless to miss. But the idea that it's not made available to us despite putting up with all this crap? Ugh, not cool. Like I doubt I'd even use them but I'm still bothered by this attitude where they think (know) some of us are so hooked well just pay up regardless.

Navid

Just saw the UK price tag for the new Destiny DLC, since when did $1 = £1..? Even the Legendary Edition (Destiny + all 3 expansions) works out cheaper than £40 in the US.

Absolutely crazy.

EL CUCO

Although, I'd pay real money to stop getting Gilgamesh and Achilles in my Crucible drops.

The only microtransaction I'd be ok with.

OkayRene

Well, it seems like Bungie's aware that people have been complaining. Specifically about locking three emotes behind a higher price tag that requires re-buying existing content.

The way for us to vote that we think it's bullshit, is to not buy it. Vote with our wallets. That's all we can do anymore.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I'm going to put Destiny in tonight for the first time in about 6 months. I believe I'm a level 28 Vanguard. No raids done, or anything.

How is this going to go? I also have no friends raiding.

Frenden

Banned
Well, it seems like Bungie's aware that people have been complaining. Specifically about locking three emotes behind a higher price tag.

The way for us to vote that we think it's bullshit, is to not buy it. Vote with our wallets. That's all we can do anymore.

Three emotes, a shader, and exotic class items, IIRC.

ocean

Banned
Well, it seems like Bungie's aware that people have been complaining. Specifically about locking three emotes behind a higher price tag that requires re-buying existing content.

Actuvision sets bundle prices. Bungie just mocks us for not liking it. Subtle difference...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom