• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Towards the beginning of my Trials marathon w/ Drizz & Rubenov last night, we went up against a guy from Invigorate. Looked him up today, #5 Crucible player in the world.

http://destinytracker.com/destiny/player/ps/IIsKampII

Was just discussing this topic while doing the nightfall. At first, awesome guys carrying us scrubs felt like the right thing to do. Now I'm really torn. I think that I may be an advocate for locking out people that have already made it to mercury.

On one hand, I would hate to be locked out from playing with friends that are in that elite category. On the other hand, we've had plenty of time to git gud, and it would be nice to run trials without facing top 1%'ers carrying their friends.

I really don't know what the answer is, but something needs to give if this is to last the whole summer.

Edit: Top of Page! #bungielistens please make ToO just a bit more accessible.

stb

After a few weeks "off", I can play again this week!

Please quote/snip to confirm availability and relate your preferred activities.

Does anyone have, or can anyone get, CPs?

Edit: calling an audible: looks like folks are just going to do PUGs this evening. Here is a list of who might be around, and what they want to do:

Around for PUGs
1) stb's pal (PSN Capt_Verde) - PoE, raid if enough want to
2) GRIP (PSN GriP17-) - PoE32, possibly NF
3) Hung Wei Lo (PSN Kinezo) - NF/PoE32/34
4) Southwark (PSN Admodieus) - looking for HM VoG
5) Deku Tree (PSN DekuBleep) - none specified
6) T-44 (PSN T-44) - up for anything

Might be around
1) stb (PSN Berried_treasurE) - prefer to raid (NM/HM Gorgons, HM Atheon, NM DS/Crota, HM DS/Crota would be ideal; I really just want exotic rolls), but I guess I'd be up for some NF/PoE32/34
2) Dave_6 (PSN DaveS78) - Batman, maybe around later
3) schwagger15 (PSN spyder_ur) - Batman, maybe around later
4) captscience (PSN captscience) - POSSIBLY NF/PoE

No response yet
1) StereoType (PSN Haybro_) ??
2) ich00 (PSN ichabod00) ??
3) LkPr (PSN LkPr) ??

Alts
a) Rollo Tomasi (PSN kreepmode) ??
a) macewank (PSN macewank) ??
a) Narmer212 (PSN GKW212) ??
a) Rollo Tomasi (PSN kreepmode) ??
a) manicstreet (PSN manicstreet) ??
a) Frostburn (PSN US-Frostburn) ??

Unable to play tonight
x) LTWood12 (PSN LTWOOD12)
x) kazeshini (PSN rasengan1337) ??

LTWood12

Good thing we shotgunned him down like 3 times. We still got wrecked though

^thank you for being responsible for probably 1/3 of my kills last night. Ridiculous amount of kills from cleaning up w/ Firebolt grenades right after your arcbolt grenades. Holy shit it was incredible.

Rubenov

^thank you for being responsible for probably 1/3 of my kills last night. Ridiculous amount of kills from cleaning up w/ Firebolt grenades right after your arcbolt grenades. Holy shit it was incredible.

Amen. Seeing those triple grenade kills pop up always feels good.

stb

I really don't know what the answer is, but something needs to give if this is to last the whole summer.

Indeed. Trials is dead to me.

I have limited time to play, and I'm just not willing to invest my time hoping I can sneak enough wins in to get the armor (let alone any packages) before I get paired up against too many uberplayers I have no business being thrown into matches with by the cockeyed matchmaking.

LTWood12

Was just discussing this topic while doing the nightfall. At first, awesome guys carrying us scrubs felt like the right thing to do. Now I'm really torn. I think that I may be an advocate for locking out people that have already made it to mercury.

On one hand, I would hate to be locked out from playing with friends that are in that elite category. On the other hand, we've had plenty of time to git gud, and it would be nice to run trials without facing top 1%'ers carrying their friends.

Who you calling a scrub? I don't want no scrubs...

I disagree. Trials has actually pushed me to improve my crucible game significantly:
(hopes no one sees my daily clash matches from yesterday)

I think a lot of the fun of trials is the anticipation of who you're going to face next. It makes getting to Mercury, or hell even just getting to a silver package all the more rewarding. It's ACTUALLY a trial, and I think that's why I like it so much.

ocean

Banned
I guess I'm in the minority but I don't really mind losing? Trials is fun. It's 3v3 where you're in a team, faced up against a team, and it's so tense. Every move counts. Every round you have to play these mind games - will they try the same thing again? Should we change it up or stick to what works?

It's great fun. I've been carried 9-0, I've played with average players like myself to 5 or 6 wins, and I've had tickets with literally 1 win before elimination. The amount of fun I've had depends mainly on the people I'm playing with and the lag not being bad.

Like, the loot isn't even that good. There are zero ToO weapons which I don't have a better alternative for (except for the AR which is beastly, but lol it's an AR). The armor looks great, but at the end of the day I need heavy ammo on my boots and HC reload on my gauntlets...

Playing this for the loot is sort of going about it the wrong way imo. You win some, you lose some. Get matched up against some top 0.1% devils and you'll die a swift incomprehensible death but I don't really see how there's anything wrong with that.

I'm also hitting my ceiling on trials.
I want the Hunter's Gauntlets and Titan's Gauntlets + Boots.
Also the Rocket Launcher.
I have enverything else.

I'l continue to play trials for fun tho. I really like elimination.

Gordon

It would be cool if ToO had some sort of means of matching teams based on their progression within ToO for that week, so teams with players that have access to mercury would be more likely to see each other, and teams that can't hit bronze tier aren't getting their cards hammered by people who aren't even really earning anything

zewone

Just picked up LoW yesterday, and it's kind of a blast to use. I am liking it in regular crucible.

Just curious if anyone has any experience using it in trials. I'm still getting a feel for the gun, but I get the feeling that the fire 'burst' it creates can be very effective on burning down an enemy that's running it you,

Anyone have any experiences/tips to share on using this thing?

Yes, I have a tip.

Use a different gun. ;)

It's not worth taking up your exotic slot and any top tier legendary shotgun (Felwinter, Party Crasher, Matador) will out perform it.

I personally think it's awful in PvP and I may have scored one kill with it.

LTWood12

I guess I'm in the minority but I don't really mind losing? Trials is fun. It's 3v3 where you're in a team, faced up against a team, and it's so tense. Every move counts. Every round you have to play these mind games - will they try the same thing again? Should we change it up or stick to what works?

It's great fun. I've been carried 9-0, I've played with average players like myself to 5 or 6 wins, and I've had tickets with literally 1 win before elimination. The amount of fun I've had depends mainly on the people I'm playing with and the lag not being bad.

Like, the loot isn't even that good. There are zero ToO weapons which I don't have a better alternative for (except for the AR which is beastly, but lol it's an AR). The armor looks great, but at the end of the day I need heavy ammo on my boots and HC reload on my gauntlets...

Playing this for the loot is sort of going about it the wrong way imo. You win some, you lose some. Get matched up against some top 0.1% devils and you'll die a swift incomprehensible death but I don't really see how there's anything wrong with that.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. I really wanted to get to Mercury last night for the sense of accomplishment. Getting an elemental Scholar was great, especially since I didn't have one, but the reward was the experience of playing w/ those guys and having a good time. It was my third trip ever, and the most satisfying because I felt like I was actually an asset for the first time, and not a liability. The mode itself has pushed me to think about how I play, and to listen to the advice guys like Rubenov, Drizz, and Unstable give to me and apply it.
(I'll make sure and ascend that Truth Unstable, instead of using GHorn in the Heavy round)

Played some games w/ Lnkn, Puma, and Tokems on Friday night and had a great time because they're fun guys to play with. Even though we only made it to the silver package, I enjoyed it because of the group, and because with each match I feel like I'm getting better.

stb

Who you calling a scrub? I don't want no scrubs...

I disagree. Trials has actually pushed me to improve my crucible game significantly:
(hopes no one sees my daily clash matches from yesterday)

I think a lot of the fun of trials is the anticipation of who you're going to face next. It makes getting to Mercury, or hell even just getting to a silver package all the more rewarding. It's ACTUALLY a trial, and I think that's why I like it so much.

I love you, man, but you have to take into consideration who you've been rolling with. =)

Rubenov and Drizz are top 1% and 3%, respectively. I sincerely believe you've improved significantly, but playing with guys like that is effectively ToO training wheels. It's like that scene in Jurassic Park (3?) where the momma TRex brings the baby T-Rex the maimed human for it to learn how to kill. =)

I'm super jealous you've got a regularly scheduled Trials with these guys, and I wish we were all so fortunate. However, I think you'd find that most people's experience with Trials (objectively, not subjectively) isn't quite as rosy. I tried for 3 weeks to join teams, let alone with decent players (better than me), even going so far as getting out of bed one Monday night to finish a card because I couldn't dig anyone up over the course of an entire evening.

Again, I'm talking about the objective experience of finding a team, being able to play however much you're inclined, and standing even a chance of getting the armor (let alone silver/gold/mercury). NOT the subjective "yeah, I lose, but I'm having fun" as ocean mentions, above.

This mode just has to be a huge, huge miss for the vast majority of the playerbase, and I really cant see the combination of it and PoE holding the majority's attention until September.

/wetblanket

zewone

I hate losing more than I like winning. I enjoy the competitive aspect of Trials a lot, as regular crucible is too easy. Only thing that sucks is it brings out the worst in people (blinking shotguns, final round spears, Thorn).

You can get boots with heavy ammo and gloves with hand cannon reload from Gold packages. I have in the past.

LTWood12

I love you, man, but you have to take into consideration who you've been rolling with. =)

Rubenov and Drizz are top 1% and 3%, respectively. I sincerely believe you've improved significantly, but playing with guys like that is effectively ToO training wheels. It's like that scene in Jurassic Park (3?) where the momma TRex brings the baby T-Rex the maimed human for it to learn how to kill. =)

I'm super jealous you've got a regularly scheduled Trials with these guys, and I wish we were all so fortunate. However, I think you'd find that most people's experience with Trials (objectively, not subjectively) isn't quite as rosy. I tried for 3 weeks to join teams, let alone with decent players (better than me), even going so far as getting out of bed one Monday night to finish a card because I couldn't dig anyone up over the course of an entire evening.

Again, I'm talking about the objective experience of finding a team, being able to play however much you're inclined, and standing even a chance of getting the armor (let alone silver/gold/mercury). NOT the subjective "yeah, I lose, but I'm having fun" as ocean mentions, above.

This mode just has to be a huge, huge miss for the vast majority of the playerbase, and I really cant see the combination of it and PoE holding the majority's attention until September.

/wetblanket

Props for the Jurassic Park 3 reference. Holy shit that is literally one of the worst movies ever.

Not sure about any regularly scheduled Trials w/ these guys. Literally the first time I've ever played w/ Rubenov was last night. Since HoW dropped it's not like I've been to Mercury every weekend. I've been one time w/ each character. The first two of which I was swaddled in the arms of Unstable, Uncle Vaalbara, and Uncle Drizz (Full House) in the first couple of weeks of HoW dropping. Hadn't been there since, but I've been playing when I can on and off w/ lots of different folks. Sure getting one win on a card is deflating, but it's just different for me I guess, because I'm still able to have a good time because of the community of people.

Also, you're right, Doc, Rubenov, Unstable, Vaal, Fig; and many others here are incredible players. I guess for me the fun I get is from getting to play w/ them, or hell just even watching them play and having a good time in the twitch chat w/ all the people here.

Kyne

The expectations that Deej is setting for Thursday are unimaginable given the backlash.

Literally.

Like, I don't even know what I'd want. I'm not sure it's about the rewards more than principle here.

Ballerhorn would probably shut me up though.

If he just goes into specifics on the already announced year 1 vet rewards the internet will riot. I wonder what it'll be.

rNilla

This is pretty how much I feel about Trials but only when I'm on a team that's not necessarily expecting to do anything. Otherwise I feel bad because generally I am bad.

Deku Tree

Once I very luckily got my Void Scholar last weekend I decided that I have all the loot I need from Trials.

Yeah I also had a hard time finding teams. I'm pretty scrubby at PvP. Always played a lot of FPS PvE, but before Destiny never played more than a few minutes of any FPS PvP. I do enjoy watching some twitch streams and I'm much better at PvP than I was a few months ago. I can lead a team of randoms in kills and if I play hard I can have a positive k/d usually. And I'm good at taking directions and playing as a team.

But still I'm pretty scrubby at something like Trials, or staying in the top half of the group in a six person GAF IB train.

I feel lucky to have been swiftly carried to Mercury with no hiccups three times and to have all the loot I need (and then some) from this expansion.

I also don't think TTK has some kind of a loot driven PvP event but we will see...

Gordon

Honestly Trials should have some build restrictions. I think that would make it more of a trial. I mean what's the challenge if you can roll in with an extremely experienced team fully loaded out for pvp cheese and get matched against pve players? I wouldn't mind seeing weekly modifiers that prohibit use of special weapons or abilities. It would force the level of playstyle variability you see in nightfalls and poe. Last week I actually changed to striker for PoE35 R3 which I would NEVER normally do. I would love to see trials motivate me to use some gear I normally neglect, or maybe even a subclass build I don't use.

I still think there ought to be a quartermaster-bot pvp mode with just primaries and plain jane nades lol

rNilla

Honestly Trials should have some build restrictions. I think that would make it more of a trial. I mean what's the challenge if you can roll in with an extremely experienced team fully loaded out for pvp cheese and get matched against pve players? I wouldn't mind seeing weekly modifiers that prohibit use of special weapons or abilities. It would force the level of playstyle variability you see in nightfalls and poe. Last week I actually changed to striker for PoE35 R3 which I would NEVER normally do. I would love to see trials motivate me to use some gear I normally neglect, or maybe even a subclass build I don't use.

I still think there ought to be a quartermaster-bot pvp mode with just primaries and plain jane nades lol

The Trials of White Weapons and Gear Only.

This is pretty how much I feel about Trials but only when I'm on a team that's not necessarily expecting to do anything. Otherwise I feel bad because generally I am bad.

Never think you're bad or you become bad!
No, I know what you mean. I'm also way better if I play in a team that is in it for the fun rather than a must-go-to-Mercury team.

rNilla

Never think you're bad or you become bad!
No, I know what you mean. I'm also way better if I play in a team that is in it for the fun rather than a must-go-to-Mercury team.

It also helps that I've convinced myself that I don't really need anything from Trials and have no plans to visit Mercury.

My biggest issue is that I panic. Practice makes perfect but I'm not sure if I want to put too much time into PVP. On a similar note, the first several times I was swordbearer for CE it made me incredibly anxious. But eventually that went away.

Themed trials? I'd love to see an auto rifle only version.

Or even a completely different (weekly?) gametype that rotates themes. Like the Supers-only mode but it changes every week. Maybe that would be boring though.

zewone

Bleh, one match of Inferno was enough for me.

We pooped on a team early so 2 of them quit, then we spent 7 minutes looking for a guy with no radar as he hid on one of the larger 3v3 maps.

Rubenov

My biggest issue is that I panic. Practice makes perfect but I'm not sure if I want to put too much time into PVP. On a similar note, the first several times I was swordbearer for CE it made me incredibly anxious. But eventually that went away.

Like with the sword, that nervousness goes away with experience. I'd be down to play with you next trials if you're around!

LTWood12

/wetblanket

Also, I love you too. Missed you the last couple of Tuesdays. Going on a date w/ the Mrs tonight so I won't be around for the reset fun runs.

Gordon

A no handcannon week would be glorious.
It would be nice to see different primaries getting used without having to nerf the rest into oblivion first

"Let's make Destiny PvP into Halo with limited variation!"
Honestly the mechanics are just so good, it's a shame the only way you could see them clearly was playing in the first week or so before blink/shotgun was a thing. I don't think it would hurt to have one game mode where the space magic calms down and I get to die from a headshot every so often.

Themed trials? I'd love to see an auto rifle only version.
It would be cool if they did it in a way that made the low-impact variants useful for something. With all of the stat profiles across the different weapon types, I would love to see to see people playing counters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom