• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT25| The Taken Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Man, Trials of Osiris was very frustrating in some cases. But at least I had some fun.

I was expecting it to be the most frustrating shit I ever played lol.

ocean

Banned
I could make a far longer list of what has been updated and added, and I'd also note that most of the things you list are the types of things that come in major expansions, which we're getting soon; it will tick off several of those items though not all. I guess I don't know what you mean by world events, as I think of the Wolves and public events as being those.

We've also seen a learning curve, and a shift in mentality recently in how Bungie addressed bugs and problems with the game. HoW had three much needed updates within weeks of launch that fixed Skolas, that other obnoxious boss, and the treasure key economy. These type of things took months after Destiny shipped. Hopefully more of those items get checked off as TTK gets further revealed.
Oh I've frequently listed the many positive changes the game has made. I'm extremely happy with the direction it's moved in and excited about what's to come given the vision laid out in HoW and what they've shown of TK.

I guess my only gripe is the world being so static. Jumping into Earth Patrol and knowing exactly what is gonna spawn and when and where - having the same 6 Strikes be completely identical every single time - it's just weird. The Wolves spawning are literally the best thing the game has added since launch in my opinion. That week before HoW doing 6 man patrols on Venus just going crazy against large waves of enemies and racing for chests - that was 1000000 better than PoE ended up being.

They promised something dynamic and fresh each time with PoE. It's not that at all. There's a rotation of the same 6 round/modifier combos and again, same rooms same spawns same timers coming from the same directions. It's insane. I've captured mines in the Hive room with Arc burn, followed by Flame Prince with Solar Burn a literal dozen times already.

It was a level 34, then a 32, then again a 34 and again a 32. The lack of variety is literally incomprehensible. The fact that every single round of PoE 35 is static and doesn't change modifiers? I refuse to believe that isn't a bug or something.

I love the game but It's just sad to see they've ignored a few things that could make it feel a lot less repetitive. Randomizing spawns everywhere would be a start. I don't want to start a A Hive room PoE and know exactly when a Thrall is gonna come rushing through the stairs, and know exactly where to point my Horn to kill a Wizard the second she arrives.

Doing Devil's Lair if I see someone snipe the spider from the middle building I know a Captain and a Vandal will come, run around it and jump up from behind. If you retreat to the entrance of the boss fight I know a Captain is gonna come up the stairs and melee anyone camping the left room.

In a game that expects you to run strikes and patrols and PoE instances hundreds of times, the fact that they're always totally identical is my biggest gripe with the game.

Lima

Uhm so Bungie what's up with the repeat maps in Trials? I didn't ask for this shit. With rusted lands that have a good earth map. Hell I'd even take fucking garbage ass twilight gap. Ugh this is so boring.

Namikaze1

Dear RNGesus

Alright, you screwed me over with the last two Dead Orbit Packages. Look, I don't need fucking motes alright? If you don't want to give me Revenant, fine. Just please give me the ToO shader or class items. Deal?

GhaleonEB

Oh I've frequently listed the many positive changes the game has made. I'm extremely happy with the direction it's moved in and excited about what's to come given the vision laid out in HoW and what they've shown of TK.

I guess my only gripe is the world being so static. Jumping into Earth Patrol and knowing exactly what is gonna spawn and when and where - having the same 6 Strikes be completely identical every single time - it's just weird. The Wolves spawning are literally the best thing the game has added since launch in my opinion. That week before HoW doing 6 man patrols on Venus just going crazy against large waves of enemies and racing for chests - that was 1000000 better than PoE ended up being.

They promised something dynamic and fresh each time with PoE. It's not that at all. There's a rotation of the same 6 round/modifier combos and again, same rooms same spawns same timers coming from the same directions. It's insane. I've captured mines in the Hive room with Arc burn, followed by Flame Prince with Solar Burn a literal dozen times already.

It was a level 34, then a 32, then again a 34 and again a 32. The lack of variety is literally incomprehensible. The fact that every single round of PoE 35 is static and doesn't change modifiers? I refuse to believe that isn't a bug or something.

I love the game but It's just sad to see they've ignored a few things that could make it feel a lot less repetitive. Randomizing spawns everywhere would be a start. I don't want to start a A Hive room PoE and know exactly when a Thrall is gonna come rushing through the stairs, and know exactly where to point my Horn to kill a Wizard the second she arrives.

Doing Devil's Lair if I see someone snipe the spider from the middle building I know a Captain and a Vandal will come, run around it and jump up from behind. If you retreat to the entrance of the boss fight I know a Captain is gonna come up the stairs and melee anyone camping the left room.

In a game that expects you to run strikes and patrols and PoE instances hundreds of times, the fact that they're always totally identical is my biggest gripe with the game.
Yeah, I agree with the issues the static nature of the patrols and arena / missions creates. What's really odd there is they had dynamic elements to missions going back to Halo 1 (some encounters set up in a few different ways at random), and Firefight in Reach had dynamic elements built in where each wave within a round rotated through one of a few options, making the same round play out differently each time.

Destiny dearly needs more of those elements. Right now the public events / Wolf events are the only dynamic things that happen on patrols, which really needs to change.

###

On that note, anyone for PoE 32?

SnakeEyes

Banned
Dear RNGesus

Alright, you screwed me over with the last two Dead Orbit Packages. Look, I don't need fucking motes alright? If you don't want to give me Revenant, fine. Just please give me the ToO shader or class items. Deal?
I'm in the same boat. Opened a package just last night and got nothing but 1 Mote of Light. Just gimme that damn Revenant!

This may seem like a dumb question, but I have to ask it.

In hard mode VoG Atheon fight, when I get teleported and grab the relic, I seem to die too often before I can kill the enemies, even at level 33/34. I think I'm drawing their fire too fast immediately. Is there a good strategy for survival here?

Not a dumb question at all, there are a lot of little intricacies to learning how to use the relic effectively. The big thing to keep in mind is which portal you get teleported to: the left side which is red (looks like Mars) with 3 Hobgoblins or the right side which is green (looks like Venus) with 1 Minotaur and 2 Goblins.

On the left side it's usually easiest to solo the Hobgoblins without interference from your teammates which will typically just cause their immune shields to activate. An exception is if a Hunter has Golden Gun active, they can kill them in one shot. If it's the first teleport or if the Hobbies haven't noticed you, simply grab the relic and run straight down the stairs. Use the strong melee attack to kill them one at a time. If they are alerted to your presence and aggro on you, be more careful and use cover around the pillars on the sides of the stairs. If all 3 shoot you at once you will die regardless of you level. One trick is to have a Defender Titan pop a Blessing of Light bubble right when you get teleported so the shield will help you tank some damage.

On the right side, it's critical that teammates help put damage on the Minotaur. He can mess you up quick with help from the Goblins. I always recommend "over helping" on the Minotaur with rockets/machine guns/grenades etc to ensure he's hurt when you make your attack. Better to waste a rocket than wipe the run because that Minotaur can be a jerk. Another tip that works well is for a Striker Titan to throw flash bang grenades which totally immobilize him and you can smash the hell out of him.

Bottom line: HELP on the Minotaur. Learn how to stealthily solo the Hobgoblins. Practice makes perfect, you'll be a pro in no time.

kiguel182

Yeah, the static nature of it was one of the reasons I got burn out of the game in the first place. That and the grind that now was, in parts, diminished.

Not everything needs to be randomised and dynamic but the game does need more of those elements for sure.

But, coming from vanilla, Bungie does seem to be in a good path to address some of those failures.

Holy shit I just got the most delayed-ass achievements ever. Haven't played since last year, bought DLC on sale, already played yesterday and the day before that, but just now got like 3 achievements I should have gotten last year already lol.

Spare change with outlaw, hand laid stock and head seeker

Versus.

ALLFATE with spray and play, hand laid stock, and hidden hand.

Which is a better PvP weapon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom