• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT25| The Taken Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

todd360

How and where are you getting Celestial Nighthawk?

A6OS9rY.jpg

My buddy griffith let me borrow his. That guy is legit the best hunter in this game.

E92 M3

"I need to start gathering sweet artwork of heavy firepower from some new foundries for you to ogle and covet next week."

We'll get some glimpses of guns next week.

I am thinking they will show off some new manufacturers and maybe throw in one exotic that won't be too rare. That's my guess.

Pretty successful trials run with Xplicit and Pirate. I couldn't tell if it was due to the strength of our team or it being Friday, but the competition didn't seem to be as strong as the past couple weeks save for a few great snipers.

In my experience running w Stabie and Wicked, the best players aren't on midday right when Trials launches. We had one sweaty match against some clan that had a 97% win record in Trials and it was only sweaty because we wore green armor to start, lol. Then Stabie went HAM and we won 5-4, but most matches are against very average to poor teams. I think more serious players get on later in the evenings during prime recreation time.

Just my observations anyway. Maybe it's a small sample size effect or just the Stabie effect but it's been consistent every week.

LTWood12

In my experience running w Stabie and Wicked, the best players aren't on midday right when Trials launches. We had one sweaty match against some clan that had a 97% win record in Trials and it was only sweaty because we wore green armor to start, lol. Then Stabie went HAM and we won 5-4, but most matches are against very average to poor teams. I think more serious players get on later in the evenings during prime recreation time.

Just my observations anyway. Maybe it's a small sample size effect or just the Stabie effect but it's been consistent every week.

In your experience when would you say the best players ARE on?

SpecX

Spent 3 tries worth of motes on Xur this morning trying to get the Celestial Nighthawk. Got 2 Titan helms redeeming the engram as my Titan, switched to my Hunter and got another Titan helm :(

GhaleonEB

This is great. But...

It saddens me that Bungie has seemingly abandoned the game til September. There are still major issues with House of Wolves. Crucible is in rough shape with Thorn and max-range shotguns being the only thing there. Prison of Elders is growing stale and the lack of checkpoints really sucks. Will Prison of Elders ever be updated again? Or is it fixed as is for the rest of Destiny?

I'm sure we'll get some updates between now and then.

Destiny will never have a monthly subscription. But nor will the current model hold.

###

So, on the subject of gold chests - I went from "I'll find them myself, hrumph" to "fuck it, where are some guides" in the span of three days. (I found two more on my own, and a dead ghost, woo.) Right now I'm missing two.

Thing is, I've gone and gotten all the ones from the guides, in the case of some of them, twice. But Earth and the Moon are still at 4/5 completed. I followed Datto's guides for each (Earth, Moon), grabbed them between yesterday and today, and am still at 4/5 on each. Does the context you get them in matter? For example, if you get them while on patrol, might they not count if you don't get them on the right story mission?

neoism

I really hope there is some sort of large patch soon ish. Not just for PvP but I large weapon reworking perhaps or some alteration to PoE challenges and rewards. But I'm thinking we'll just have a large content drought and momentum loss until Taken King. Almost makes me wish there was a monthly sub.

giphy.gif

I'm sure we'll get some updates between now and then.

Destiny will never have a monthly subscription.

###

So, on the subject of gold chests - I went from "I'll find them myself, hrumph" to "fuck it, where are some guides" in the span of three days. (I found two more on my own, and a dead ghost, woo.) Right now I'm missing two.

Thing is, I've gone and gotten all the ones from the guides, in the case of some of them, twice. But Earth and the Moon are still at 4/5 completed. I followed Datto's guides for each (Earth, Moon), grabbed them between yesterday and today, and am still at 4/5 on each. Does the context you get them in matter? For example, if you get them while on patrol, might they not count if you don't get them on the right story mission?

Shouldn't matter how you acquire them, just that you open them. The contents are based on the order you open them I believe, not the location, but that shouldn't matter for your total count.

I guess just double check each location.

ocean

Banned
Lack of a sub fee is a weak excuse for the game's misgivings.

Between launch and the game's first anniversary we'll have paid at least US$70 in DLC - more for people getting Collector's goodies - on top of the base game's price. Spread this out and it's over US$5 a month for a sub in a game which:
- has zero dynamic content, everything is static and on a timer and completely unchanged since launch
- has no World Events
- has had exactly zero new enemy types added
- has no dedicated servers for PvP
- still has extremely limited or just absent matchmaking and LFG features
- still has no clan / guild integration whatsoever
- can take months to address and ultimately do something about bugs
- ignores balance issues for ridiculously long times despite constant community pressure

I could go on. The point is, Destiny generates revenue in a similar fashion to titles charging a subscription but the game does not receive the kind of support a subscription title would demand despite this.

Whatever, I'd happily pay monthly for a game I like so much, but I really really hope it doesn't happen because it would break the community (biggest asset they have).

Dunlop

As I have pretty much given up on gettng a Gally...

I currently have

Hunger of Croata
Uppercut Payload
The Dreamwaker
Ash Factory
Wastelander V2V
Pax Totalus EPR8
Admonisher III

I'm sick of passing HoC between my characters, any reccomendations on what Rocket Launcher I should start rerolling and for which perks?

For PVE

Drizzay, lemme know if you're up for some CE raids to tonight. I need another shot at exotics.

Gotta get some food and do life stuff a bit now but I'll be around. Not sure if people will want to do Trials or if Stabie will need help w carries or whatever, but busting out some CE would be fast and easy if we can find a few folks to help.

kiguel182

I really hope there is some sort of large patch soon ish. Not just for PvP but I large weapon reworking perhaps or some alteration to PoE challenges and rewards. But I'm thinking we'll just have a large content drought and momentum loss until Taken King. Almost makes me wish there was a monthly sub.

You kinda have. That's what the DLC expansions are in a way.

A better system I think would be something like GW2 with cosmetic micro-transactions and then one annual expansion or something.

GhaleonEB

Lack of a sub fee is a weak excuse for the game's misgivings.

Between launch and the game's first anniversary we'll have paid at least US$70 in DLC - more for people getting Collector's goodies - on top of the base game's price. Spread this out and it's over US$5 a month for a sub in a game which:
- has zero dynamic content, everything is static and on a timer and completely unchanged since launch
- has no World Events
- has had exactly zero new enemy types added
- has no dedicated servers for PvP
- still has extremely limited or just absent matchmaking and LFG features
- still has no clan / guild integration whatsoever
- can take months to address and ultimately do something about bugs
- ignores balance issues for ridiculously long times despite constant community pressure

I could go on. The point is, Destiny generates revenue in a similar fashion to titles charging a subscription but the game does not receive the kind of support a subscription title would demand despite this.

Whatever, I'd happily pay monthly for a game I like so much, but I really really hope it doesn't happen because it would break the community (biggest asset they have).

I could make a far longer list of what has been updated and added, and I'd also note that most of the things you list are the types of things that come in major expansions, which we're getting soon; it will tick off several of those items though not all. I guess I don't know what you mean by world events, as I think of the Wolves and public events as being those.

We've also seen a learning curve, and a shift in mentality recently in how Bungie addressed bugs and problems with the game. HoW had three much needed updates within weeks of launch that fixed Skolas, that other obnoxious boss, and the treasure key economy. These type of things took months after Destiny shipped. Hopefully more of those items get checked off as TTK gets further revealed.

Edit Not to minimize the importance of what could be added from your list, just noting that while there's clearly a lot more then could be adding (and probably are) the list from year 1 is actually pretty long.

PuMa

Gotta get some food and do life stuff a bit now but I'll be around. Not sure if people will want to do Trials or if Stabie will need help w carries or whatever, but busting out some CE would be fast and easy if we can find a few folks to help.
Let me know if you need one more for any of those things.

Activision will get their cristmas in September with those free $20

Waldini

It happened again.

8-0, loss boon gone.

We face a team of Warlocks.

"Capture the zone!"

Ok guys lets GO! WTF! Shotgun him?! He wont die?! O well, Round lost. Shit happens.

"Capture the zone!"

Lets take it this time! I will smash the zone. *uses Smash* ... they dance.

... and at this point I put down my controller and went for a smoke. Fucking hackers.

Hey Drizz, if your offer still stands, I can run Trials whenever. If you are busy thats fine, I can get a pickup group.

I gotta eat now before I pass out but I'll be back in 30-45 min and could do some runs then if we can find a third. Since you only need 3 wins hopefully it wouldn't take long. Obviously if you find a group in the meantime go ahead and try a few matches, with any luck you might be done before I get back.

Edit: looks like you've got a group started there, give it a go and then I'll check in when I finish eating/life stuff. Good luck!

In your experience when would you say the best players ARE on?

Usually the times we play, lol. But honestly ~8-11 pm EST has been a higher percentage of pro players in my experience. Then it drops off again when it starts to get really late, like 3-5 am EST. Of course there are time zone differences with teams (Stabie and Wicked are 8 hours apart I think), but the "connection based MM" means you'll match more often against geographically similar players.

As I have pretty much given up on gettng a Gally...

I currently have

Hunger of Croata
Uppercut Payload
The Dreamwaker
Ash Factory
Wastelander V2V
Pax Totalus EPR8
Admonisher III

I'm sick of passing HoC between my characters, any reccomendations on what Rocket Launcher I should start rerolling and for which perks?

For PVE

From a recent Reddit post, it was suggested that all of these launchers are better than Crota. I don't know if this person was full of crap or not, but they made a decent case for:

Radegast’s Fury
Ash Factory
Dreamwaker
Wastelander
Tomorrow’s Answer
Uppercut Payload
Admonisher
Exodus Plan
The Fear

The link below has more detail on perks, but Tripod should always be a goal :).
https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/3cpphe/if_youre_still_using_hunger_of_crota_it_may_be/

Dunlop

From a recent Reddit post, it was suggested that all of these launchers are better than Crota. I don't know if this person was full of crap or not, but they made a decent case for:

Radegast’s Fury
Ash Factory
Dreamwaker
Wastelander
Tomorrow’s Answer
Uppercut Payload
Admonisher
Exodus Plan
The Fear

The link below has more detail on perks, but Tripod should always be a goal :).
https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/3cpphe/if_youre_still_using_hunger_of_crota_it_may_be/

thanks for the link!

SnakeEyes

Banned
It happened again.

8-0, loss boon gone.

We face a team of Warlocks.

"Capture the zone!"

Ok guys lets GO! WTF! Shotgun him?! He wont die?! O well, Round lost. Shit happens.

"Capture the zone!"

Lets take it this time! I will smash the zone. *uses Smash* ... they dance.

... and at this point I put down my controller and went for a smoke. Fucking hackers.

Yup. Fucking *hate* Lag Switchers, and DDOS attackers.

Arrrammis

This may seem like a dumb question, but I have to ask it.

In hard mode VoG Atheon fight, when I get teleported and grab the relic, I seem to die too often before I can kill the enemies, even at level 33/34. I think I'm drawing their fire too fast immediately. Is there a good strategy for survival here?
Not a dumb question at all! I honestly wish that more of my teammates would look into more strategy for this part than just rushing down the stairs at the enemy.
Here's my strategies:
Left/Mars/future: run around the right pillars and don't jump at all. If done correctly, the hobgoblins won't notice you until you kill kne of them. R2 while on the ground to dash attack and kill them in one hit each (r2 in air has a long animation)
Right/Venus/past: I run to the edge of the topof the stairs, jump high until I am almost over the enemies, then R2 in the air to do the heavy AoE ground hit. The AoE hit knocks them all back, buying you a few seconds to attack. Follow with r2 dash attacks on the praetorian(the r2 hits interrupt, so it can't attack back. 2-3 r2's should kill it), then kill the goblins. (Feel free to switch these if you want, the praetorian just does more damage, better to kill it quickly).

Usually I do a quick cleanse for my teammates and then leave when there are two oracles left. That way I reach the middle platform just about the time they kill the last Oracle, so you can get about another 5 seconds of dps per rotation.

Haybro

I still don't have the celestial nighthawk, so I decided to buy one exotic engram for the hell of it...

It decrypted into celestial nighthawk!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom