• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT27| Nerf Herders

Gammacide

I wish there were more mid-teir players in ToO, lol. I'm completely shut out of that content because of my skill level. Every team I've played is 3 sunsingers with full ToO gear. It's either git gud or git carried. :(

Which I suppose is fine...I guess it's cool that PVP-centric players have something aimed at them. It'd just be nice it weren't such a depressingly steep hill to climb.
I consider myself an average PvP player and I get a lot of enjoyment out of it, but yeah, I think I will have to get carried if I ever want to reach the lighthouse. That said, it would be fun to run through it each week with someone else with reasonable expectations of glory. ;) My PSN is V1ctIm.

Vanilla launch was nuts. I didn't post at all because the threads moved at such hyper speed it was impossible to follow. Then a lot of people burned out on the grind and didn't even make it to vanilla end game.

TDB and Normal CE launch was still hyped but relatively tepid compared to vanilla launch. The backlash to the exotic resets was real, then people learned they could buy better armor in the Tower than the raid and Iron Banner they slaved for, then people realized how short CE was and the grind required to Lv31 to even attempt beating it...

It wasn't great, but people held out hope that Hard CE would somehow redeem the expansion. When it turned out to be easily the worst Destiny content yet, lazy and glitchy and cheap and boring and hugely time-wasting... It is and hopefully will always remain DGAF's darkest hour.

yes, HM CE was nothing but complaining, raging, and blaming. after you got that monkey off your back what 12 hours? everything changed. I remember logging in on a Saturday morning, joining you and team epic sax at HM Crota, gathering gaffers and killing him all to the sounds of epic sax man. it was fantastic! you sir, dragged dgaf out of a huge depressing slump. always will thank you for that

Karl2177

As someone who does not (currently) play PvP, it's been interesting to read 1) complaints of too many lop sided victories / poor players in Crucible, and 2) complaints that there is not a skill gap in Crucible.

On a different note - I'm not expecting any reveals in the BWU today, but I hope we get the schedule of Twitch reveal streams. Given how much they need to cover, I'd expect them to start next week, with the Tower tour / system changes.
I think the lack of a skill gap complaint comes from the ease of killing a player that is much more skilled. Player A can kill Player B 20 times by pure thumbskills, but Player B can kill Player A because they had an ability charged and Player A can't tell it's charged. To add to it, kill times are much shorter than in Halo. It means that if Player A defeats Player B, Player C can come and clean up on Player A with ease. It's similar to the complaints that Halo 4 had where a player's shield recharge was longer than the opposing player's respawn time.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Am so bored right now. And by now, i mean lately, Destiny-wise.

Except pvp, pve is such a disappointment and it has been, since the launch of CE NM. Ok, maybe the firts 3h after CE HM launched was still fun, esp being on the DGAF 1st kill, team Husk, but later on.. man, such a let down.

Arena as it stands now, it's not what we wanted. Too bad it aint like Horde mode in similar games (Gears of War). The no reward surely didn't help either.

On the other hand, since i dont have anything to do, just today i did the pesky Public Events and VIP kill grimoire rank 3, which i thought i would never do, .... EVER!

Now i only miss rumble cards.... ><

TTK can't come soon enough....

OMG Destiny Round Hordemode would be epic with a 6 man team!
YEAH!

I'm kind of hoping they don't cover everything. Having something new that they didn't even hint at would be great IMO.

Im predicting another big change for exotics

Notice how Sleeper stimulant has its signature perk at the start but also an extra and unique exotic modifier (basically upgrading the signature perk) at the end?

You think all exotics will be reconfigured and have a new perk to unlock?

Pass over some of those soup dumplings.

All gone. Maybe this?

SYR9cbc.jpg

Klyka

Banned
Alright I am finally lvl 34 and can now face Skolas. He is all I need for my Triumph emblem.

Is anyone willing to run him with me tonight? Tonight being GMT+2

Would be really sweet!

Just replying in response to the posts about Kaliks Reborn - the PoE 34 - you can just grind out this boss fight - you don't have to worry about the dregs at all.

It's slower that way, so if you're good/co-ordinated then by all means take out the dregs...but each wave of dregs only spawns once in the whole fight.

So essentially you go:-

DPS down to 90%* - dregs spawn - back up to 100%
DPS down to 70% - next dregs spawn - back up to 100%
DPS down to 50% - VIP spawns - general chaos - back up to 100%

etc etc

I've completely made up the percentages but you get the idea. The only time you really need to put the fireteam in danger is to clear the VIP. The rest of the time you can "sit back" and just clear Adds and DPS the boss....it's a long grind but tolerable and safer than trying to do it "properly".

With 2 randoms I think it took us around 25 minutes with full health resets after each dreg spawn.

I *think* most wipes come from trying to chase/take down the dregs and getting sniped by something else along the way.

TL;DR treat killing the dregs as an optional time saver rather than a mission critical objective and you'll be fine.

Note - there are several things that make the "sit back" bit easier - e.g. make sure you have arc shotguns for the marauding captains.

Klyka

Banned
Just replying in response to the posts about Kaliks Reborn - the PoE 34 - you can just grind out this boss fight - you don't have to worry about the dregs at all.

It's slower that way, so if you're good/co-ordinated then by all means take out the dregs...but each wave of dregs only spawns once in the whole fight.

etc etc

I've completely made up the percentages but you get the idea. The only time you really need to put the fireteam in danger is to clear the VIP. The rest of the time you can "sit back" and just clear Adds and DPS the boss....it's a long grind but tolerable and safer than trying to do it "properly".

With 2 randoms I think it took us around 25 minutes with full health resets after each dreg spawn.

I *think* most wipes come from trying to chase/take down the dregs and getting sniped by something else along the way.

TL;DR treat killing the dregs as an optional time saver rather than a mission critical objective and you'll be fine.

Note - there are several things that make the "sit back" bit easier - e.g. make sure you have arc shotguns for the marauding captains.

That's how we did it, yes. We did not care about the Servants.

But how competitive is really a game that's based on RNG and gear/weapon drops?

There's definitely some truth to this, but most people who play this game enough to be competitive based on skill have played enough to get enough of the top tier loot. Xur has sold TLW plenty of times by now and it's better than Thorn anyway. Re-rolling perfect perk shotties and snipes can take a ton of resources if you don't get lucky though.

Dinner with the Double Dutch Destroyers! ]

Awesome! Looks like a great time, keep the pics coming.

I'd say there is a skill gap pvp, but it's easier to be decent at it since right now you can just run at someone with a shotgun and come out on top half the time.

I think more about Trials when discussing skill gaps, since it's the only consistently competitive mode (i.e. where almost everyone is actually trying). Shotgun silliness can get a lot of kills in normal Crucible but it won't get you anywhere close to Mercury.

etc etc

Or just clear dregs and smash with Gjallahorn :d yes its cheap and dirty but it works

GutZ31

There is a skill gap. Skill is involved in this game. Big it is not however. Nothing edgy about it. Ask any top player in Destiny. He will tell you the same thing.

If I was a top PvP player, this is exactly what I would tell everyone.
And it would be a white lie to make everyone feel less shit about them selves.

Bladedancer is the best PvP subclass in the game, and also the better PvE subclass between the two. Invisibility is invaluable for PvE, getting revives or dismantling mines in PoE or the abyss/running sword in Crota's End.

Gunslinger is still excellent though, especially in PvP. Celestial Nighthawk is very useful in PvE, otherwise Golden Gun can be pretty situational (like Oracles in VoG).

The best subclasses to level first:

1.) Titan Defender
2.) Hunter Blade Dancer
3.) Warlock Sunsinger
I hate that it's so clear cut and obvious which subclass is better for PVP and PVE and which one should be leveled first primarily. As a Warlock I particularly remember from launch recognizing that Sunsinger was the way to go, but after all my raids, nightfalls, PoE's, and other PvE content I've grown to dislike it very much because I feel I have to run Fireborn. And when you run Fireborn you never actually use your super because you're waiting to die, and when you die you still don't use it because you're waiting to see if someone can revive you. It gets really stale and boring. But then if I choose to run Radiant Skin and my team gets wiped everyone will look at me like "What the hell?"

To me Fireborn is right up there with current g-horn as far as artificially limiting your options. I'd personally love to see Fireborn replaced by another skill. But I digress, definitely got carried away from the main conversation.

XAL

Hey I kind of stopped playing Destiny before HOW came out, so I'm out of the loop on stuff.

I stopped playing on PS4 because everyone quit, but i picked it up again on XBO to play with some friends. Right now I'm level 20 on 2 characters (warlock and hunter, titan soon) after finishing the original campaign.

I'm going to try to do all of the raids and POE on hard to try and get that challenge thingy done before TTK drops.

What is the best way/most time efficient means of aquiring appropriate level gear and weapons? I assume vendor gear right now will get me the closest to getting ready for POE hard? Or do strikes/crucible rng pay out purples often enough to just grind that?

SonComet

Any chance Vex Mythoclast gets a buff(mostly to stability)? I was so happy finally getting it last week, but the recoil makes it trash(fully upgraded).
The recoil is nothing with smart drift control. The issue is that the accuracy nerfs to fusion rifles were applied to it. So the bullets often don't shoot where your reticule is pointed. It's quite annoying and they refuse to even address it.

yes, HM CE was nothing but complaining, raging, and blaming. after you got that monkey off your back what 12 hours? everything changed. I remember logging in on a Saturday morning, joining you and team epic sax at HM Crota, gathering gaffers and killing him all to the sounds of epic sax man. it was fantastic! you sir, dragged dgaf out of a huge depressing slump. always will thank you for that

Thanks dude, I tried. A big part of why I did so much sword running for teams was motivated by DGAF redemption. I refused to let Scrota get the best of any Gaf teams, haha.

Scrota is the worst, he doesn't get to win.

radiohead1

Neo Member
Few questions for you all:

1) Do you think it is worth it to stockpile armor cores? I'm not really after any new armor at the moment, but wonder what these will net us after TTK.

2) Should we be spending our strange coins on anything before TTK comes out? I have all the weapons and am after just a few gear pieces, but sort of want to wait on how any of it may potentially level up after TTK. Granted I have like 400 of them, but what if I need all of them?!!

3) Should I use up my etheric light, or save it? What the heck will these things be worth after TTK?

I feel like I don't know what to do with myself until TTK comes out! I know there are probably not good answers, but curious your thoughts.

I think the lack of a skill gap complaint comes from the ease of killing a player that is much more skilled.

This is totally present and valid, but it's not unique to Destiny. It's just really fucking salient with the ubiquity of blink shotgun combinations on top of heavy and supers. But I haven't seen anything other than what looks like a normal distribution in skill metrics with expected extremes anchoring both ends.

Despite all the cheap ways to die, really good players put up extremely high numbers against random competition. Use whatever criterion you want. Guys like Poshy put up over a 5 k/d in Trials. 5. And the best players win over 95% of their games despite occasional disconnects and carries.

And when the best of the best pair up for sweaties, there is still significant separation. I watched part of the last Adamant tournament, and nobody could touch the first place team (WAR, Gabe, and Mgir, I think). They destroyed teams that were previously destroying teams.

I am not defending the state of Destiny's meta. There are a lot of cheap ways to die to inferior players, so I welcome the overhaul. But saying that eliminates or even reduces the skill gap really doesn't survive any scrutiny.

Manp

Alright I am finally lvl 34 and can now face Skolas. He is all I need for my Triumph emblem.

Is anyone willing to run him with me tonight? Tonight being GMT+2

Would be really sweet!

if you're just now hitting 34 i guess you're not really ready to face Skolas... i mean you can, but you need a bunch of good 365 weapons. mostly a good arc primary and an arc shotgun.

just trying to save you some headaches :)

Homeboyd

1) Do you think it is worth it to stockpile armor cores? I'm not really after any new armor at the moment, but wonder what these will net us after TTK.

2) Should we be spending our strange coins on anything before TTK comes out? I have all the weapons and am after just a few gear pieces, but sort of want to wait on how any of it may potentially level up after TTK. Granted I have like 400 of them, but what if I need all of them?!!

3) Should I use up my etheric light, or save it? What the heck will these things be worth after TTK?

I feel like I don't know what to do with myself until TTK comes out! I know there are probably not good answers, but curious your thoughts.
1. No. PoE is a waste of time unless you need 42 light armor or etheric. Useless in TTK would be my guess unless some conversion exists for glimmer or something.

2. No. Save every coin you have.

3. Doesn't matter. It's a season 1 item, so it shouldn't be useful in season 2. Again maybe glimmer or something small. Spend it or don't, really doesn't matter either way, imo.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I hate that it's so clear cut and obvious which subclass is better for PVP and PVE and which one should be leveled first primarily. As a Warlock I particularly remember from launch recognizing that Sunsinger was the way to go, but after all my raids, nightfalls, PoE's, and other PvE content I've grown to dislike it very much because I feel I have to run Fireborn. And when you run Fireborn you never actually use your super because you're waiting to die, and when you die you still don't use it because you're waiting to see if someone can revive you. It gets really stale and boring. But then if I choose to run Radiant Skin and my team gets wiped everyone will look at me like "What the hell?"

To me Fireborn is right up there with current g-horn as far as artificially limiting your options. I'd personally love to see Fireborn replaced by another skill. But I digress, definitely got carried away from the main conversation.

Yeah Fireborn ruined SS for me. Even if Raid or PvP be it Crucible or ToO whatever if you dont run it people look weird at you and ask WTF when you die and cant res...

Personally i find Void much more fun
blink please
so ill roll with that cause fluff everything about not using a super cause you might die.

void666

Banned
Am so bored right now. And by now, i mean lately, Destiny-wise.

Except pvp, pve is such a disappointment and it has been, since the launch of CE NM. Ok, maybe the firts 3h after CE HM launched was still fun, esp being on the DGAF 1st kill, team Husk, but later on.. man, such a let down.

Arena as it stands now, it's not what we wanted. Too bad it aint like Horde mode in similar games (Gears of War). The no reward surely didn't help either.

On the other hand, since i dont have anything to do, just today i did the pesky Public Events and VIP kill grimoire rank 3, which i thought i would never do, .... EVER!

Now i only miss rumble cards.... ><

TTK can't come soon enough....

I'm so bored i made a 4th character in another account. Leveled up to 13 in pve and then tried some pvp. Only two matches but i came out on top 3 both times. It's funny to outgun people with my shitty green weapons.

Anyway, PoE is just pointless at this point. I don't care about etheric light anymore.
I like skolas but i dont feel like doing PoE 35 every week.

Guess i'll keep leveling my extra warlock until MGSV is released.

I'm not saying that I've gamed with a celebrity...but I'm pretty sure that Zyzomys and I just finished PoE 34 and 32 (32 is a real bitch this week by the way) with the one and only Peter "Dinkelbot" Dinklage. Zyzomys warned me that the ban hammer could fall for making such a preposterous claim, but I want y'all to make the call once you see the evidence:

• I can't reveal his gaf name or his PSN account name, but let's make this clear, there is a P in a very important part of both (can't be a coincidence, right?)
  • He refuses to use a microphone when playing online. Who else really needs to hide his identity when playing Destiny??
  • We messaged Mr. Dinklage (We believe that is what he wants to be called) repeatedly and he NEVER once denied being Peter Dinklage. He did give clues however that one can infer that he is the real Peter Dinklage. He said that he's a bit taller than Peter (which everyone knows that tv and movies make you appear shorter
    or is it add 20 pounds?
  • He messaged that he would deny being Mr. Dinklage (we're assuming to protect his anonymity)
  • He has no problem carrying scrubs like Zyzomys and myself. He almost enjoys watching us fail only to pull us through at that very end. The nuances of his playing style are only comparable to the variety of skills exemplified in his acting career.

So what say you DestinyGAF, have Zyzomys and I gamed with greatness??

Oh and for good measure, I'm sure that Mr. Dinklage would appreciate this rendition of him with a space beard that I randomly pulled off of the internet.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled

I'm just going to go ahead and assume that Bungie is going to approach TTK like the other expansions and will prevent anyone who's spent more time with the game to leapfrog any new players - so look forward to anything you can stockpile now being only good for motes or glimmer (or nothing) in a month. I'll be delighted if they prove me wrong.

I'm not saying that I've gamed with a celebrity...but I'm pretty sure that Zyzomys and I just finished PoE 34 and 32 (32 is a real bitch this week by the way) with the one and only Peter "Dinkelbot" Dinklage. Zyzomys warned me that the ban hammer could fall for making such a preposterous claim, but I want y'all to make the call once you see the evidence:

• I can't reveal his gaf name or his PSN account name, but let's make this clear, there is a P in a very important part of both (can't be a coincidence, right?)
  • He refuses to use a microphone when playing online. Who else really needs to hide his identity when playing Destiny??
  • We messaged Mr. Dinklage (We believe that is what he wants to be called) repeatedly and he NEVER once denied being Peter Dinklage. He did give clues however that one can infer that he is the real Peter Dinklage. He said that he's a bit taller than Peter (which everyone knows that tv and movies make you appear shorter
    or is it add 20 pounds?
  • He messaged that he would deny being Mr. Dinklage (we're assuming to protect his anonymity)
  • He has no problem carrying scrubs like Zyzomys and myself. He almost enjoys watching us fail only to pull us through at that very end. The nuances of his playing style are only comparable to the variety of skills exemplified in his acting career.

So what say you DestinyGAF, have Zyzomys and I gamed with greatness??

Oh and for good measure, I'm sure that Mr. Dinklage would appreciate this rendition of him with a space beard that I randomly pulled off of the internet.

No.

JTripper

Cool, so more ghost shells are being added with perks that increase your light or increase chances for certain drops and materials. Awesome!

Juraash

Voidwalker for life. I find it so much more enjoyable than SS. I'll begrudgingly use SS if I'm learning something new or soloing a nightfall I'm not super familiar with. Basically insurance against my fails. I recognize its utility, but I kinda hate it otherwise.

I've mained Voidlock since the alpha and I'll continue to main it. After almost 10 years of playing what was "best" in WoW I strait up am out of fucks to give about that.

So yeah, I agree. That was kind of a mini-rant, but give me that sweet Nova anyday of the week.

Edit: On a totally unrelated note, fiancé is pulling a late shift tonight so I can park my ass in this game from the moment I get home from work. Would like to brain Crota once before the xpack, normal would be fine.

Top Bottom