• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT28| Nolan Beyond

X-Frame

Is there any interest in putting together a list of questions that we can try and ask Cozmo tomorrow during the stream?

I plan on watching it during my lunch so I could try and throw our questions at Cozmo and see if any get answered.

Deku Tree

So legendaries show you what kind of elemental damage is done on the new weapon box icon. But none of the exotics show the elemental graphic on their weapon box icons. Hmmmm.....

So legendaries show you what kind of elemental damage is done on the new weapon box icon. But none of the exotics show the elemental graphic on their weapon box icons. Hmmmm.....

I'd wait and see. It's a teaser. I'm sure they'll be tweaking things here and there over the next month. Nothing you see is necessarily final.

border

Let's wait to hear more about the system from Bungie. It could be big changes or a shell game. Not enough details have been revealed yet. At a minimum it makes the requirements needed for specific activities clearer to more casual players.

I actually think it makes large aspects of the game much more unclear.

I am level 32. The boss is Level 33. I know exactly what my handicap or advantage in this situation is.

I am level 40. The boss is Level 40. My Light is 377. I have no idea what my advantage is -- in fact I have no idea whether I am at an advantage or a disadvantage.

You're right though.....let's wait and see what all they have planned.

So they started the maintenance at 6pm GMT I never got booted, just got the maintenance message and was logged out. Managed to log straight back in? I wonder how many EU players sacked off tonight thinking it would be a wash

I made a SHAFT joke and not a single fuck was given.

Hahaha Black Suros. That's funny

It's funny how everyone cheers Bungie for Destiny for ditching the Light System, when the new system is exactly the same thing. The gear you equip will still largely determine your level of progression and you'll still have a number to strive towards that is largely RNG dependent. I don't have any problem with this, but all they are doing is playing a shell game and people are falling for it.

It's weird to me that they would nerf Gjallarhorn saying "Oh we don't like that people are being excluded from groups" and then introduce this new Light stat that becomes a new way for people to exclude others from groups. How long until we see "MUST BE LIGHT 500 TO JOIN"?

I'm sure that'll be the case. But I'm guessing based on current info is this allows players with more possibilities to get higher light gear. With each piece of gear being in the 100s, it leaves more room to make up for "light" on other gear.

For instance
Old Method:
Helm: Light 36
Gloves: Light 42
Chest: Light 42
Boots: Light 42

You'd be stuck at Level 33 because of a single helm. No progress can really be made towards your defense/attack unless you get that Light 42 helm

New Method:
Guardian Level 40
Helm: Light 80
Gloves: Light 100
Chest: Light 95
Boots: Light 111

Total: 386

If they "recommend" 400 Light, you can make up the 14 Light needed with better helm, gloves, or chest. Heck maybe even boots. With bigger numbers leaves more chances / room to grow. This way, you're not tied to waiting for a particular piece of gear as much. You'll still be making progress on your character.

This is all just my guess with the info I know. I could be completely wrong :X

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's funny how everyone cheers Bungie for Destiny for ditching the Light System, when the new system is exactly the same thing. The gear you equip will still largely determine your level of progression and you'll still have a number to strive towards that is largely RNG dependent. I don't have any problem with this, but all they are doing is playing a shell game and people are falling for it.

It's weird to me that they would nerf Gjallarhorn saying "Oh we don't like that people are being excluded from groups" and then introduce this new Light stat that becomes a new way for people to exclude others from groups. How long until we see "MUST BE LIGHT 500 TO JOIN"?
I take considerable issue with characterizing it in its current form to be "largely RNG dependent." The current path from 0-34 requires almost no RNG luck whatsover, and certainly not a large amount in contrast to launch or even TDB-era.
How did you not get it, Xur sold it?
I was in the air over the atlantic ocean and then in transit from Milan to Switzerland during that 48 period.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I take considerable issue with characterizing it in its current form to be "largely RNG dependent." The current path from 0-34 requires almost no RNG luck whatsover, and certainly not a large amount in contrast to launch or even TDB-era.
I literally said that last page. Hypenaught thread is blowing dust in my face from its quickness.

Maintenance in 5000 minutes, goes down as soon as i dismiss the message.

Some fast 5000 minutes in Bungie HQ

#VexIlluminati
...a causal loop within the weapon's mechanism, suggesting that the firing process somehow binds space and time into. A causal loop within the weapon's mechanism, suggesting that the firing process somehow binds space and time into. A causal loop within the weapon's mechanism, suggesting that the firing process somehow binds space and time into...

border

You could say the same about vanilla Destiny really, yet people complained incessantly about RNG. My point is more that whatever it was people didn't like about the Light System still mostly exists. Your progression is still tethered to gear, not XP.....which is where so many objections came from.

I actually think it makes large aspects of the game much more unclear.

I am level 32. The boss is Level 33. I know exactly what my handicap or advantage in this situation is.

I am level 40. The boss is Level 40. My Light is 377. I have no idea what my advantage is -- in fact I have no idea whether I am at an advantage or a disadvantage.

You're right though.....let's wait and see what all they have planned.

I share the same confusion. the great thing about Destiny is I never had to do math. hopefully I wont need to do math

this number is higher than that number, sold!

Doing nightfall x3. All are welcome! If you intend to stick with me for all three please let me know so I don't give your spot away while we switch!

PSN - rolyreyes

You could say the same about vanilla Destiny really, yet people complained incessantly about RNG. My point is more that whatever it was people didn't like about the Light System still mostly exists. Your progression is still tethered to gear, not XP.....which is where so many objections came from.

Nah. Vanilla was absolutely RNG dependent. To get to 30, you had to rely directly on RNG from the raid.

Now you can buy armor from vendors to get to 32. Then do PoE 32 for armor cores and get gear from Variks. Zero RNG involved.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Not exactly. Objections came from it being hard to obtain gear to level you out. Hawkian and I are saying with the new upgrade system, vendors, and updated RNG it's not hard at all to get to max light level. Vanilla destiny was a problem because before you would have to do the raid every week only once to try for the armor you needed to get max level. That's been remedied for months now.

ocean

Banned
error literally JUST the second I opened the PoE 32 chest. I had time to see my Queen Cipher pop up.

I'd have raged so so hard.

Nah. Vanilla was absolutely RNG dependent. To get to 30, you had to rely directly on RNG from the raid.

Now you can buy armor from vendors to get to 32. Then do PoE 32 for armor cores and get gear from Variks. Zero RNG involved.

Well there is RNG involved in hoping Variks sells the particular piece you're looking for haha. Especially when you're just 1 type of gear away.

I would gladly have logged in for either of you goofballs to get you said helmet.

I wouldn't even delete your characters or ruin your pvp kd ratio at all. ;)

out of country

feels bad

I don't have it either. I think it's the only exotic I'm missing. I was indeed out of town when he sold it.

I quote what phen0m said. I'd be more than happy to buy anything for anyone if they're out of town when Xur is around. Or even from Variks or any other weekly vendor.

ocean

Banned

The "light system" of level being tied to gear wasn't the problem. Raid gear dropping randomly was.

Now, as in any RPG-esque ever, harder stuff requires better gear. But said gear is made available at a vendor with clear instructions on how to reliably get it. It has nothing to do with the luck-dependent progression of vanilla.

Asking players to be 34 right now, for instance, doesn't entail any sort of exclusion on random grounds. Everybody can have the highest light level in a reliable, predictable, non-random process you can map out.

I would gladly have logged in for either of you goofballs to get you said helmet.

I wouldn't even delete your characters or ruin your pvp kd ratio at all. ;)

I quote what phen0m said. I'd be more than happy to buy anything for anyone if they're out of town when Xur is around. Or even from Variks or any other weekly vendor.

Next thing I know, you're going to steakhouses and strip clubs on my dime. ;)

Lately I've been getting the "upgrade unlocked" notification for armour pieces but when I open the menu to check it out, the circle is not completely filled yet. I assume this isn't new and has happened to someone else, anyone knows what causes this?

border

It was RNG dependent for that one final level. But most of the complaints I read outside of DGAF are from people who quit in their mid-20's......not people who ran VoG for months and never hit 30.

macewank

Each mission will have a minimum requirement of light.

Unless I've misread something, this is inaccurate. Some missions will have a recommended light level attached to them. It is not a requirement.

It's not the same thing. Being unable to participate in <content> because you don't have enough light level (how it is today) is not the same as being at a disadvantage for <content> because you don't have enough light level (how it's going to be).

Sure, you're going to see groups forming with minimum light requirements, but there's a huge difference. Saying I can't join your group because I don't have a Gjallarhorn is an RNG based restriction. I've put in 5000 hours, it just hasn't dropped. That shows (in Bungie's eyes) that the weapon is unbalanced, and that's why it's getting a nerf. In this case, so long as the new loot system allows me to attain an appropriate amount of light for the content I'm trying to tackle, it's a moot point. The gear you get is supposed to be meaningful. If it works like they've described, it'll be a moot point.

Top Bottom