• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT28| Nolan Beyond

Ramirez

Lately I've been getting the "upgrade unlocked" notification for armour pieces but when I open the menu to check it out, the circle is not completely filled yet. I assume this isn't new and has happened to someone else, anyone knows what causes this?

Invisible nodes from the old leveling system more than likely.

Meh but there's several ways to get guaranteed Etheric light so even varriks RNG isn't an issue.

Sure, if you want to wait weeks. There are definitely more ways now with the ascending system, no question. You can grind your way through 345 marks (minus either 75 or 120 depending on what you can get from Xur) and buy each gear and then play PoE 34 each week to ascend. All of that takes a lot of time haha. Just that when waiting on your final gear if you're level 33 and you can't get carried in a L34, your main chances are

1) Varik's RNG to have your gear type
2) Nightfall RNG for Etheric
3) Getting Carried through PoE 34 as a L33 for Etheric
4) Iron Banner to rank 3 (once a month, not that often for it to be viable most weeks) [+ 5k glimmer, can't forget that]
5) Trials 7 wins (hard for a lot)

Still RNG or carried or being awesome at PvP are the ways haha.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Lol wut. Logged in to find something at the postmaster. I expected some stuff but 9 coins? I thought at first they were from the Weekly but nope.

Anyone else get this? They the Red Bull promo?

0upQay.png

border

The "light system" of level being tied to gear wasn't the problem. Raid gear dropping randomly was.

Then what is the purpose of scrapping the Light System?

Ultimately it is just a re-branding of what's already been in place for 9 months.

Sure, if you want to wait weeks. There are definitely more ways now with the ascending system, no question. You can grind your way through 345 marks (minus either 75 or 120 depending on what you can get from Xur) and buy each gear and then play PoE 34 each week to ascend. All of that takes a lot of time haha. Just that when waiting on your final gear if you're level 33 and you can't get carried in a L34, your main chances are

4) Iron Banner to rank 3 (once a month, not that often for it to be viable most weeks) [+ 5k glimmer, can't forget that]

Variks isn't RNG. Time is not the same as RNG. I understand the lack of patience, but it's not the same thing.

Variks isn't RNG. Time is not the same as RNG. I understand the lack of patience, but it's not the same thing.

Is it confirmed he's on a static rotation? I don't pay that much attention but regardless, yes time. Most people don't want to wait up to 3 weeks to get that final gear for them to do a mission/raid/etc. No progress can be made then in those "up to 3 weeks". The moral of the story is, progress is halted on your character's level the current way and the new way seems to alleviate that problem by breaking up light and level and expanding light to a greater magnitude. At least the way it seems to me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You could say the same about vanilla Destiny really, yet people complained incessantly about RNG. My point is more that whatever it was people didn't like about the Light System still mostly exists.
Seems outright wrong to me.

Vanilla destiny absolutely locked progression to max level behind a pure RNG gate. Only a single source of RNG rolls even provided the items needed clear this gate. This was a full section of one of my early progression guides, which up until that point had largely championed the progression as less-RNG-than-you-think. It's unequivocally true that there was far more RNG required to progress at launch than there is now.

Furthermore, so far as I can tell we know very little about what does or doesn't still exist about the Light system. For instance, my biggest issue with it was the enormous penalty one incurs for being one Light level below the enemies you're fighting. Can you tell me right now how this scenario translates to the new system? Personally I have no idea, but I admit I'm not scrutinizing every detail the way some of you are.
Your progression is still tethered to gear, not XP.....which is where so many objections came from.
If you say so. That sort of seems like you're just taking two interrelated issues and saying that the source was one of them and not the other. I've never been bothered by the mere attachment of progression to gear; in fact, given the headstarts it provided by Warlock and Titan it has been one of the aspects of Destiny I ultimately really enjoyed, whether not it's going away.

What I didn't enjoy was being hamstrung at a certain breakpoint, unlikely or even completely unable to progress without RNG on my side, as was the case at level 29, and to a lesser extent at 31.

Why don't we just wait for tomorrow versus guessing at what the system is going to be like. We don't know all the details so let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Then what is the purpose of scrapping the Light System?

Ultimately it is just a re-branding of what's already been in place for 9 months.

instant gratification. this way it feels like your making progress when you really arent. not to hyped on the new light system. but I never played WOW or anything before so I am still confused how it works. what does level do then anyway. just provide a cap to equipping gear?

Kalamari

I like the new leveling system. No more of the calculating how much light is required to reach a certain level, overleveling past 40 is is just the light number. No more levels.

Tecnniqe

Banned
instant gratification. this way it feels like your making progress when you really arent. not to hyped on the new light system. but I never played WOW or anything before so I am still confused how it works. what does level do then anyway. just provide a cap to equipping gear?

Look at it like Item Level

"Item level serves as a rough indicator of the power and usefulness of an item, designed to reflect the overall benefit of using the item. Two items of equal ilvl should in theory therefore be of equal potential use.
Item level is widely used as a means of assessing a character's power. Ilvl is used as a gating requirement when queueing for dungeons, raids and scenarios, and is often used in a similar way by players organising raids.
Individual items' item levels can be found in their tooltips. Each character's average ilvl can be found in the character sheet."

phen0m24

Be funny if leveling specific armor tied to actual actions and not just bounties completed. So your gauntlets need xp?

Go to Cosmodrome and melee 500 enemies straight... Gauntlets now XPed! ;)

Boots? Peregrine Greaves challenge! Kick 50 enemies!

Helmet? Blind 100 enemies, kill 100 with blade dance, golden gun, etc. Whatever the signature perk is on that armor piece, you have to do THAT. Not just do annoying patrol/daily/etc. for the 3,948th time

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well there is RNG involved in hoping Variks sells the particular piece you're looking for haha. Especially when you're just 1 type of gear away.
Well, Etheric Light can by acquired as a guaranteed drop by running PoE 34 at level 33, and used to upgrade any piece to reach 34, speeding up the process. This is how I reached 34.

inthrall

So reading the Future War Cult allegiance, it costs 2500 glimmer, and can only be changed once per week?

EDIT: Also, is that final shot a picture of the new Director layout?

border

Is it confirmed he's on a static rotation? I don't pay that much attention but sure. Time. Most people don't want to wait up to 3 weeks to get that final gear for them to do a mission/raid/etc. No progress can be made then in those "up to 3 weeks"

I'm not sure how Variks' rotation works, but it's never really a situation where he sells gloves 2 weeks in a row or anything. Ascended Exotic + PoE32 armor gets you to 33.....then you run PoE34 to make it to 33.5. There is no reason you cannot be at max level in less than a week.

Is it confirmed he's on a static rotation? I don't pay that much attention but sure. Time. Most people don't want to wait up to 3 weeks to get that final gear for them to do a mission/raid/etc. No progress can be made then in those "up to 3 weeks". The moral of the story is, progress is halted on your character's level the current way and the new way seems to alleviate that problem by breaking up light and level.

I agree that there could be a time issue you run into. However, you know that you'll get the piece at some point in the relatively near future.

In vanilla destiny, I played the raid every week on all three characters and didn't hit level 30 until TDB came out.

I'm still bitter about that shit.

And yes, I think this new system will solve all of that. Hopefully the truth we learn tomorrow is close to the rumors.

daedalius

Light level is just item level now. Higher item level means you have better attack and defense. If your item level is slightly lower than the recommended, you will probably do fine, it might just not be quite as easy.

Light level was super arbitrary, being one level lower than your target made you massively ineffective.

LTWood12

I mean, getting to max level shouldn't be instant? What's wrong w/ weeks?

And being 33 doesn't mean you have to get carried through a 34. The first couple of weeks I did the 34 three times on each character w/ a full fireteam of 33s. No different than doing Skolas as a 34.

Meffer

Okay, fyrewulf and I did the NF but something REALLY weird happened. We got to the part with the spidertank with the other guy in our team heading to the other side of the room. Fyre and I both got rocked with a lot of enemies between us and the other player. There was little chance he could get to us without dying. Then suddenly we were both revived, the enemies disappeared along with the tank and the room's textures loaded back in. The strike went along as normal otherwise, but rather quickly.
It's the weirdest moment I had so far with this game.

zewone

Lol wut. Logged in to find something at the postmaster. I expected some stuff but 9 coins? I thought at first they were from the Weekly but nope.

Anyone else get this? They the Red Bull promo?

If you let Bungie use your email from your bungie.net profile they provided you with these coins.

Spoo

So all I have left to do for my triumphs is Crotas End on hard mode, and Poe 35 I guess (I'm level 31 but as soon as the game comes back online I'll grind out the marks for a legendary helmet so I can be 32 and do PoE 32 run to get to 33).

Realistically speaking, do I have enough time to get all the triumphs done? I'm for sure going to need help with Crota Hard mode and PoE 35, so I'll have to abuse all the help I can get from GAF for this, but I feel like it's close.

LTWood12

I know I'll be in the minority for saying this, but I really don't care what happens to my old gear. As long as the expansion is fun and gives me more fun things to do w/ all of you I'll be happy.

Just wish that hadn't fucking ruined Black Hammer and Ice Breaker.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

And being 33 doesn't mean you have to get carried through a 34. The first couple of weeks I did the 34 three times on each character w/ a full fireteam of 33s. No different than doing Skolas as a 34.
I was gonna say, I resent that "get carried" gibberish. My first two PoE 34s were with full teams of 33s and we made it happen.

FyreWulff

Also a good set of parallel bounties today

(bounties)
Relic Harvest Moon
Kill 10 Hive Majors or Ultras
Complete any Strike without dying
Kill 100 enemies without dying

(eris)
kill hive majors and ultras with eris class item
kill any majors or ultras in a nightfall activity

And being 33 doesn't mean you have to get carried through a 34. The first couple of weeks I did the 34 three times on each character w/ a full fireteam of 33s. No different than doing Skolas.

I agree that there could be a time issue you run into. However, you know that you'll get the piece at some point in the relatively near future.

In vanilla destiny, I played the raid every week on all three characters and didn't hit level 30 until TDB came out.

I'm still bitter about that shit.

And yes, I think this new system will solve all of that. Hopefully the truth we learn tomorrow is close to the rumors.

I'm not sure how Variks' rotation works, but it's never really a situation where he sells gloves 2 weeks in a row or anything. Ascended Exotic + PoE32 armor gets you to 33.....then you run PoE34 to make it to 33.5. There is no reason you cannot be at max level in less than a week.

Well, Etheric Light can by acquired as a guaranteed drop by running PoE 34 at level 33, and used to upgrade any piece to reach 34, speeding up the process. This is how I reached 34.

Yea with most gaffers it's not a problem. But this goes back to the "1 level higher" dilemma we've talked about in the past. We shouldn't have to play the game with a 67% attack handicap (or do 33% less damage).

Nothing is wrong with waiting for weeks, but you're not making any progress on your character if you do activities for those 3 weeks. You're still somewhere between Level 33 and Level 34, and Level 34 enemies will have that 1 level advantage. It seems as if there is a great deal of people who just don't enjoy playing like that. See Hard Crota or Skolas.

This new method, I'm guessing, will alleviate that by having more opportunities to be "of level" to play the game on an even playing field. You don't have to worry about Level differences and you have more chances to be able to play the game while not being underleveled.

All I'm saying is, I believe this new system is going to be awesome. We will feel like we're making progress continuously, not bounded by such a small number. At least, I hope.

So all I have left to do for my triumphs is Crotas End on hard mode, and Poe 35 I guess (I'm level 31 but as soon as the game comes back online I'll grind out the marks for a legendary helmet so I can be 32 and do PoE 32 run to get to 33).

Realistically speaking, do I have enough time to get all the triumphs done? I'm for sure going to need help with Crota Hard mode and PoE 35, so I'll have to abuse all the help I can get from GAF for this, but I feel like it's close.

Hard Crota will take 5 minutes from a CP and your lvl won't matter. Skolas will be a different proposition this week due to shitty modifiers and you'll ideally want to be 34 but it's doable as a 33

I can help you with Crota this week and I'm sure others will with Skolas once the modifiers are better

Top Bottom